Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2020, 08:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Personal Towing Comparison: 2012 Chrysler T&C vs. 2014 Nissan Pathfinder

We have been towing our 1964 Bambi II with a 2012 Chrysler Town & Country for about 6 years. There is no room on this thread for the "deficiencies of a minivan as a tow vehicle" debate as our van, rated to tow 3600 lbs, is most capable of towing our 2200 pound vintage Airstream safely.

The Chrysler, as touted by many, is low and wide with a lengthy wheelbase, and with the 6 speed automatic transmission, it has done a great job towing our rig all over the East Coast.

This past week, I finally had the opportunity to tow a lengthy trip with our 2014 Nissan Pathfinder. This vehicle is rated to tow 5000 lbs. The power was unlimited as we climbed and descended some mountains on our trip, but I was surprised to find it felt a bit less stable, overall, than the minivan. I attribute this to the higher center of gravity. It just felt a bit squishier.

I use the same equalizing hitch set up on both (Eaz-Lift Elite with 600 lb. round bars). Different hitch inserts, of course.

Towing impressions aside, the Pathfinder also does not have nearly as much interior storage space. Regardless, we are pleased to have two tow vehicles from which to choose and comparing them was certainly fun for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TCBambi-for-web.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	372018   Click image for larger version

Name:	PathfinderBambi-for-web.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	372019  

Old 07-05-2020, 01:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Van for towing

I am with you on using a van to tow. We tow a 2019 FC 25 RBT (about 6200LBS all loaded for travel) with a 2013 Ford E150 XLT Premium van with factory Max Tow and Max Payload Packages (right at 6400 LBS all loaded/full fuel for travel). Works great. Stable, pulls well, tons of room for all the stuff (This is a 7 passenger set up, I remove the 2 extra captains chairs and the rear bench). Van is rated at 8600 GVW (show me a 1/2 ton pickup with an 2520 LB payload Rating!) with 3700 LB front axle and 5120 LB rear axle ratings. Would be real tough to overload this platform. All weights are per CAT Scale tickets.

We have towed boats for years with a van and it is great for all the junk you take with you boating. We are in the minority though because everybody thinks they have to have a pickup truck. Missing the boat (so to speak) on the safe, secure, dry storage capability of a van.

So....keep on towing with the van. Nice set up you have and we are envious of the vintage Airstream you have. Happy travels.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote