Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2020, 04:26 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
To me it is telling that an American car company with an interest in demonstrating towing prowess is not stating that this load is acceptable.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:01 PM   #102
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
On a side note, I was looking at an (aftermarket) Tesla charging extension cable on line this week. 20 feet. Could solve some of the access issues at Superchargers if it works well.Jeff
The aftermarket extension cords are meant for charging at no more than ~10kW (40A @ 240V). Connecting one to a SC (90kW-250kW) would be a disaster.

As an aside, with our trailer we probably only need to disconnect at a supercharger about 10-20% of the time. Even then it only takes about 3-5 minutes to unhitch and re-hitch. Hasn't been a big issue for us.
idoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:51 AM   #103

2017 16' Sport
St Pete , FL
Great information. Thanks to everyone, especially Andy.

I have a question for ohmman, you say that you have made note of which supercharging stations allow you to charge without disconnecting. Would you be willing to share that info? We are thinking about getting a Tesla Y and we tow a 2017 16 foot Bambi. Thanks!
CRein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 04:21 PM   #104
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRein View Post
Great information. Thanks to everyone, especially Andy.

I have a question for ohmman, you say that you have made note of which supercharging stations allow you to charge without disconnecting. Would you be willing to share that info? We are thinking about getting a Tesla Y and we tow a 2017 16 foot Bambi. Thanks!
Ohmman may have more info, but with our Model Y, my observation is that most all current stalls are not pull through; that many stations have a long line of stalls that one can park laterally at if they are unoccupied; that the new larger stalls apparently designed for the Cybertruck haven't made it to stations near me yet (but apparently will); that the new pull through stalls for the Tesla Semi are not out there yet; and that with regards to what is currently installed, it is changing very quickly as new stations are deployed, so it would be a real challenge to keep an up to date list of charging station details. It is possible to scout out Supercharging stations on line for specific questions of access.

The Tesla Supercharger map shows current and upcoming stations, with charge rates, wifi, restaurants, hotels, restrooms, etc. It would be trivial for them to add in pull through charging site details if they wanted to.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:25 AM   #105
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
Quote:
Would you be willing to share that info? We are thinking about getting a Tesla Y and we tow a 2017 16 foot Bambi.
Not Ohmman, but here's a list (don't know if it is up to date).

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...cations.61389/

Having towed 10K-15K with our Tesla I can tell you the definition of "trailer friendly" has expanded. Here's a post I wrote about different ways to charge without unhooking. Since writing it up we've found a few more hitched up configurations that work, depending on the SC.

https://tinpoodle.blogspot.com/2018/...chthat-is.html

Bottom line...at this point we probably have to unhitch ~15% of the time. Which means on some trips we don't have to unhitch at all to charge.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:35 AM   #106
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
I have yet to have to unhook to charge. There are some pull in chargers and the other times I have been able to pull in from the end and only block about 3 chargers and there were plenty of empty ones.

I am prepared to drop the trailer if need be. It only takes 5 minutes.

Largely the superchargers are much easier to get into than gas stations.

These are pull in spots at Cambridge and Woodstock Ontario. You can see the Cambridge one has a second pull in at the other end.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camebridge Pull in.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	452.6 KB
ID:	388801   Click image for larger version

Name:	cambridge second pull in.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	388802  

Name:	woodstock 2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	341.3 KB
ID:	388803  

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:42 AM   #107
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
One other thing in regards to superchargers that are trailer friendly. Unless you are traveling the major East Coast/West Coast interstates you really don't have a choice. The density of SC's across most of the country is good enough to make the trip, but not good enough to be picky.

On routes we know well and travel frequently we know when we can skip the 4 stall supercharger at a small convenience store and opt for the 16 stall supercharger in a mall parking lot. But for the most part, "you gets what you gets". And it works out fine.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:28 AM   #108
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
The great thing is they are adding more all the time so it will quickly become a non issue.

I would love to look at the new Jag XJ Electric when it comes out to replace my current XJ. However I don't think I could give up supercharger access. So a Model S it will likely be. I'll have to rent one when I can to make sure we can put a hitch on it and that the no gear shift system works with towing.

Andy

Old 02-16-2021, 11:16 AM   #109
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
The great thing is they are adding more all the time so it will quickly become a non issue.

I would love to look at the new Jag XJ Electric when it comes out to replace my current XJ. However I don't think I could give up supercharger access. So a Model S it will likely be. I'll have to rent one when I can to make sure we can put a hitch on it and that the no gear shift system works with towing.

Andy
That matches my analysis. I was interested in the Mustang, and several others, but the Supercharger network outweighed all other considerations.

A Model S with the new design batteries is very expensive, but is showing an 800km+ range when not towing. Get them to drop the third motor, and the extreme performance targets, and that makes the most sense to me.

I'll watch to see your hitch updates.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:57 PM   #110
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Weber State Univ, Auto Lab

Only posting for general Tesla information about the Tesla Model S Performance Motor.

The presenter, Prof. John Kelly's channel has 33.3M views and he does in depth presentations on automotive powertrains. This video was posted today.

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:38 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
I have yet to have to unhook to charge. There are some pull in chargers and the other times I have been able to pull in from the end and only block about 3 chargers and there were plenty of empty ones.

I am prepared to drop the trailer if need be. It only takes 5 minutes.

Largely the superchargers are much easier to get into than gas stations.

These are pull in spots at Cambridge and Woodstock Ontario. You can see the Cambridge one has a second pull in at the other end.

Andy

It may just be me, but is that trailer behind the EV getting charged blocking two parking spaces and the driving lane?
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:03 PM   #112
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
It may just be me, but is that trailer behind the EV getting charged blocking two parking spaces and the driving lane?
Looks like it is blocking at least one parking space to me. Not sure about the driving lane. It would likely be more of an issue if the charging spots were at the front door of the building rather than on the perimeter of the lot. Looks like there are lots of open spaces. But it does make sense to move to more pull through spots.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:18 AM   #113
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
It is blocking a couple of regular parking spots not charging locations. And the driving lane is not blocked but it would be more so with a 30' trailer. However there is another driving lane on the other side of the small island as I remember. It is a huge lot and these spots are furthest from the building so never used. So a non issue really.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:20 AM   #114
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Thanks for posting this link. That was excellent! I have some catching up to do.

Weber State Univ, Auto Lab
Only posting for general Tesla information about the Tesla Model S Performance Motor.

The presenter, Prof. John Kelly's channel has 33.3M views and he does in depth presentations on automotive powertrains. This video was posted today.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:12 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:

Andy
Just read that Jag pulled the plug on the XJ Electric (no pun intended) :-(
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:23 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
Just read that Jag pulled the plug on the XJ Electric (no pun intended) :-(
Jag just announced that they are going 100% electric by 2025.

My wife’s daily driver is a Jaguar I-Pace electric SUV. It’s a fantastic car, and our experience with it has been great.

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:36 AM   #117
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Dennis

I drove an I Pace, it was very impressive. How are you finding the charging network? Is there one chain that is better than another?

Thanks

Andy

Old 02-19-2021, 07:27 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Hi Dennis

I drove an I Pace, it was very impressive. How are you finding the charging network? Is there one chain that is better than another?

Thanks

Andy
Andy,

I'm glad you got a chance to drive one. We considered a Tesla Model Y, an Audi E-Tron, and then the Jaguar I-Pace. I really thought we were going to buy an Audi E-Tron until we drove the I-Pace. It was a totally different experience. The I-Pace has been flawless so far. It's currently shod with winter rubber, and I'd say that the capabilities of this car in winter weather are as good or better than the Audi SQ5 that it replaced.

When I bought the car, I had a ChargePoint Flex Level 2 charger installed in my garage. It's 240V, 50A. This charger is used for the majority of my charging needs. That said, I have used public chargers in several locations around the Denver metro area, including some Level 3 DC rapid chargers. I've had the best experience with the Electrify America charging network. Their DC rapid chargers are found at many Walmart stores and other shopping centers. My wife and I ate lunch at a restaurant in Denver a few months ago that had an EA charger outside. I plugged the car into that charger before lunch with about 40% SOC, and it was charged to 100% well before we finished our lunch. I've also used the free chargers at Denver International Airport when I've traveled. DIA offers Level 1 and Level 2 chargers, and my experience there has been very positive.

Overall, the charging network in the US is evolving and improving rapidly, but it still has a long way to go. Denver is obviously a large population center and fairly progressive in terms of enviornmental causes, so it's pretty good here. It's not as good in some other parts of the country. I use the Plug Share app to locate chargers when necessary, but it's not often. The practical range of the I-Pace between charges has been ~200 miles, leaving 30 to 40 miles of cushion. I don't like to let the battery get below 20% SOC.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1645.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	573.6 KB
ID:	388990  

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:48 AM   #119

2017 16' Sport
St Pete , FL
Great info on chargers/charging. Thanks everyone. We are going to test drive a Tesla Y today in Tampa.... yahoo.
CRein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:43 PM   #120
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari
Wake Forest , NC
Quote:
Great info on chargers/charging. Thanks everyone. We are going to test drive a Tesla Y today in Tampa.... yahoo.
Then be prepared to put your order in this evening!
Buglermcd is offline   Reply With Quote