Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2015, 10:53 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post
In December, we decided to upgrade our tow vehicle from a 2013 Ford F150 to a 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel.
Here's a pic:
Looks like you opted for the 18" wheels. I am ordering a similar truck and am debating between 18" and 20" wheels. Why did you go with the 18's?
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #42
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Looks like you opted for the 18" wheels. I am ordering a similar truck and am debating between 18" and 20" wheels. Why did you go with the 18's?
If you think you'll ever use chains, check the owner's manual before getting 20" wheels. Not recommended on my F350, probably for cosmetic reasons with the lower profile tires. Can't scratch them purty rims.

I'm going with tire socks.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:43 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Roadtech, there's a lot of good information on this thread about 18" wheels. Here's the link:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ls-129108.html

We just decided the 18" wheels were fine, and it saved us a little money off the final price. Down the road, it will be cheaper to replace them too!

Good Luck!

Yolanda
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #44
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Roadtech, there's a lot of good information on this thread about 18" wheels. Here's the link:

We just decided the 18" wheels were fine, and it saved us a little money off the final price. Down the road, it will be cheaper to replace them too!

Good Luck!

Yolanda
AND.... you can get several choices of tires that will fit!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:21 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Yolanda
I know, I started that thread. I was just curious why you went with the 18's. Thanks for your answer.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:22 PM   #46
George

2007 25' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Denali ITB Controller with EOH brakes?

I bought a new GMC 2500HD Denali too, should get it this week. I'd like to know if anyone has any actual experience using the GMC Integrated Trailer Brake Controller in a 2014 or later GM (supposedly new electronics), with an Airstream with Electric over Hydraulic brakes. I have a 2007 25' Classic.
Currently, I use a Direclink controller on an older F350.
It's hard for me to get my Airstream out of winter storage to try it out with the new GM.
On the Direclink thread, someone said that it "should work", but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually done it.
If the answer is no, I'll do the research and buy the parts to reinstall my Direclink in the GMC.

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:59 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Does the integrated controller in this vehicle have settings in a setup menu on the onscreen system? My Classic 25fb has a trailer brake magnet in series to my Dexter actuator. I think the original owner had it installed.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:28 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Does the integrated controller in this vehicle have settings in a setup menu on the onscreen system? My Classic 25fb has a trailer brake magnet in series to my Dexter actuator. I think the original owner had it installed.

Kelvin
My 2015 2500HD has a gain setting with manual operation lever and reports output level onscreen.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
GWMC,

From the 2015 Service Manual

"Trailer Brake Controls Description and Operation

A trailer brake control system is used to control the amount of trailer braking power that is made available to trailers with brakes that require a controlled electrical output signal for actuation.

The power output to the trailer brakes is based on both the amount of braking being applied by the vehicle’s brake system and on the type of trailer brakes detected.

The Trailer Brake Control System is compatible with two types of Trailer Brake Systems as listed below:
 1. Electric Brakes A controlled electrical output signal energizes an electric-magnet/lever arm assembly that directly actuates the brake mechanism. The GDS name for this system is “Electromagnetic Brakes”.
2. Electric Over Hydraulic Brakes A controlled electrical output signal energizes a remote, trailer mounted hydraulic pump to build brake pressure in a closed hydraulic system on the trailer. The hydraulic fluid pressure actuates the brake mechanism. The GDS name for this system is “Electrohydraulic Brakes”.
Trailer Brake Output Versus Trailer Brake Type
•The trailer brake system characterizes the trailer brakes as either Electric Brake or Electric Over Hydraulic Brake automatically. This characterization may be affected by the number, type, and age of the trailer brake magnets, as well as any other devices installed on the trailer brakes (i.e. adapters for Electric Over Hydraulic brake functionality).
•The trailer brake system is fully operational with either characterization.
Some features of the trailer brake system may be different based on the trailer brake type characterization. An example of this is at zero speed, where pressing the service brake pedal will produce output when the trailer brakes are characterized as Electric Brakes, but not when characterized as Electric Over Hydraulic Brakes.
•Sliding the manual trailer brake apply lever will produce output at zero speed for either characterization.
The user gain allows the driver to adjust the amount of trailer brake output to match the trailer load and road surface. The controller determines the desired trailer brake output and provides a control signal to the K133 Trailer Brake Power Control Module. The K133 Trailer Brake Power Control Module amplifies the signal and provides the output required to activate the Electric or Electric Over Hydraulic trailer brakes.

The trailer brake control can support up to a maximum of four axles with electric trailer brakes (8 brake magnets).

Connecting a trailer that is not compatible with the trailer brake system may result in reduced or complete loss of trailer braking. There may be an increase in stopping distance or trailer instability which could result in personal injury or damage to the vehicle, trailer or other property. An aftermarket controller may be available for use with trailers with surge or air trailer brake systems.

To determine the type of brakes on your trailer and the availability of controllers, check with your trailer manufacturer or dealer. Do not power up an aftermarket controller with the factory brake controller at the same time.

The vehicle is equipped with the following trailer braking components:
•K38 Chassis Control Module
•K133 Trailer Brake Power Control Module
•S76 Trailer Brake Control Panel
•Manual Trailer Brake Apply
•Trailer Gain Adjustment
•Trailer Brake Driver Information Center Display
Chassis Control ModuleThe K38 Chassis Control Module (CCM) is a serviceable GMLAN module. The chassis control module sends the low power commanded duty cycle signal to the trailer brake power control module. The trailer brake power control module amplifies the signal and provides an output that is required to drive the trailer brakes.

Trailer Brake Power Control ModuleThe K133 Trailer Brake Power Control Module (TBPM) is a solid state power switching module that supplies power to the trailer brakes at the input command duty cycle. Diagnostic messages are sent from the TBPM to the CCM on a dedicated LIN bus.

Trailer Brake Control PanelThe S76 Trailer Brake Control Panel contains the trailer gain and manual apply switches. It is located on the instrument panel to the left of the steering column. Refer to the instrument panel overview for more information on the location. The control panel and switches allows you to adjust the amount of output, referred to as trailer gain, available to the Electric or Electric Over Hydraulic brakes. It also allows you to manually apply the trailer brakes. The trailer brake control panel and switches are used along with the trailer brake display page on the driver information center to adjust and display power output to the trailer brakes.

Manual Trailer Brake ApplyThe manual trailer brake apply lever is located on the S76 Trailer Brake Control Panel and is used to apply the trailer’s Electric or Electric Over Hydraulic brakes independent of the vehicle’s brakes. This lever is used in the trailer gain adjustment procedure to properly adjust the power output to the trailer brakes.

Sliding the lever to the left will apply only the trailer brakes. The power output to the trailer is indicated in the trailer brake display page in the Driver Information Center (DIC). If the vehicle’s service brakes are applied while using the manual trailer brake apply lever, the trailer output power will be the greater of the two.

The trailer and the vehicle’s brake lamps will come on when either the vehicle’s braking or manual trailer brakes are applied.

Trailer Gain AdjustmentTrailer gain should be set for a specific trailering condition and must be adjusted any time vehicle loading, trailer loading or road surface conditions change. It is important to re-adjust trailer gain any time the tow vehicle, trailer loading or road surface conditions change or it you notice trailer wheel lock-up at any time while you are towing.

Setting the trailer gain properly is needed for the best trailer stopping performance. A trailer that is over-gained may result in locked trailer brakes. A trailer that is under-gained may result in not enough trailer braking. Both of these conditions may result in poor stopping and stability of the vehicle and trailer.

Trailer Gain Adjustment Procedure
•Adjust trailer gain in 0.5 step increments up to 10 gain setting by using the gain adjustment +/− buttons on the trailer brake control panel switch. Pressing and holding a gain button will cause the trailer gain to continuously increment or decrement. To turn the output to the trailer off, set the gain to zero.
•Drive the tow vehicle and trailer combination on a level surface representative of the towing condition and free of traffic at approximately 32–40 km/h (20–25 mph) and fully apply the manual trailer brake apply lever mechanism located on the trailer brake control panel switch. Adjusting the trailer gain at slower speeds may result in an incorrect gain setting.
•Adjust the trailer gain to just below the threshold of trailer wheel lock-up . Trailer wheel lock-up may not occur if towing a heavily loaded trailer. In this case, adjust the trailer gain to the highest allowable setting for the towing condition.
Hill Start AssistThe hill start assist allows the driver to launch the vehicle without a roll back when the driver is moving their foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal. Refer to the hill start assist system in the anti-lock brake system description and operation document for more information.

Trailer Sway ControlThe trailer sway control can detect the vehicle yaw instability, caused by an attached trailer. Refer to the trailer sway control system in the anti-lock brake system description and operation document for more information.

Driver Information Center Indicators and MessagesThe following indicators are used to inform the driver of several different conditions:

Trailer Connected

This message will be briefly displayed when a trailer with Electric or Electric Over Hydraulic brakes is first connected to the vehicle. This message will automatically turn off in about ten seconds. The driver can also acknowledge this message before it automatically turns off.

Check Trailer Wiring

This message will be displayed if:

•The system detects that a trailer with Electric or Electric Over Hydraulic brakes is connected to the vehicle and then the trailer harness becomes disconnected from the vehicle.
•The trailer connection is recognized initially and then a disconnect occurs while the vehicle is stationary. This message will automatically turn off in about thirty seconds. This message will also turn off if the driver acknowledges this message off or if the trailer harness is reconnected.
•A disconnect of the trailer wiring harness occurs while the vehicle is moving. The Check Trailer Wiring message will continue until the ignition is turned off. The message will also turn off if the driver acknowledges this message off or it the trailer harness is re-connected or repairs are completed.
•There is an electrical fault in the wiring to the electric trailer brakes. The Check Trailer Wiring message will continue as long as there is an electrical fault in the trailer wiring. This message will also turn off if the driver acknowledges this message off.
•A poor connection at the 7–way connector may cause the Check Trailer Wiring message. Some aftermarket 7–way trailer side connector adapters or plugs may cause deformation or excessive wear to the vehicle’s trailer terminals. It is recommended that you use an OEM or Pollak heavy duty 7–way trailer side connector adapter.
Service Trailer Brake SystemThis message will be displayed when there is a problem with the trailer brake control system. The trailer brake system may not be fully functional, or may not be functioning at all. The trailer brake system is designed to provide trailer braking, if possible, even when faults prevent it from being fully functional. This reduced functionality includes:

 1. Providing trailer braking when the master cylinder pressure or brake pedal switch are faulted.
 2. Providing trailer braking when hill start assist and trailer sway control communication is faulted.
 3. Providing trailer braking when certain manual trailer brake apply lever faults are present.
These conditions should be repaired to allow the trailer brake system to be fully functional.

Trailer Gain and Output DisplayThis display menu can be accessed by scrolling through the DIC menu, or any time the trailer gain +/− button is depressed, or the manual trailer brake apply lever is actuated. The trailer output is displayed from 0 to full output and indicates the output power provided to the trailer brakes, relative to the gain setting.

After the electrical connection is made to a trailer equipped with electric brakes or electric over hydraulic brakes, the TRAILER CONNECTED message will be displayed momentarily on the DIC. The Trailer Brake Display Page can be selected on the DIC showing TRAILER GAIN and OUTPUT, after all vehicle related service messages are acknowledged by the driver. Depending on which instrument panel cluster is in the vehicle, the DIC may display dashed lines, a greyed out display, or it may be blank signifying a disconnected trailer or a trailer brake fault condition.
© 2015 General Motors. All rights reserved."

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:23 PM   #50
George

2007 25' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Wow, Rich - that is great info - much more comprehensive than I found in the owners manual. Sounds very promising!
Old 01-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Quote:
In December, we decided to upgrade our tow vehicle from a 2013 Ford F150 to a 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel.

We thought long and hard about upgrading to diesel, but decided to do it for peace of mind. We have a 30' Classic and felt it needed a bigger truck.

Our trailer is winterized, so we haven't taken it out yet. But we're looking forward to our first trip with our new tow vehicle.

Here's a pic:
Congratulations on your new truck. We have the 2015 Silverado LTZ version of your truck. We also pull a 30' Classic and like you moved from a 1500 to the 2500 Diesel that we knew would pull anything we would put behind it. We have almost 17,000 miles on our truck mostly, towing and it's a dream to drive. Love the new interior and the Duramax doesn't even blink when towning. You will love your truck/trailer combination. We're getting our Classic ready for the Daytona 500 and can't wait to hit the road. We hope to head to Tennessee in May. We tow a car trailer when not towing the A/S and either combo tows like a dream.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:58 PM   #52
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Really good info. It sounds like the DirectLink and GM are similar or the same in operation for electric/hydraulic TT disk brakes. I have DirectLink installed by Airstream Service in my Duramax, but I too am looking forward to the current GM brake control systems in the new vehicles. Does anyone have experience with both?
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:11 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Really good info. It sounds like the DirectLink and GM are similar or the same in operation for electric/hydraulic TT disk brakes. I have DirectLink installed by Airstream Service in my Duramax, but I too am looking forward to the current GM brake control systems in the new vehicles. Does anyone have experience with both?
Not yet, and it's likely 2 months before I get the AS out of winter slumber.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-30-2015, 08:14 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We just took delivery of a 2012 Silverado 2500 Duramax Z71. We traded a 2008 2500 Suburban and have discovered that the 8" "drop" on our current Hensley stinger will be too much. If you have this Silverado/Hensley combination, what has been your experience with the correct set up?
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:24 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
6" drop for an HD2500.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:44 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Thanks Rich. It looks like the 2" will about do it.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:52 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack46 View Post
Thanks Rich. It looks like the 2" will about do it.

Really? What is your actual HAHA box opening height to the top lip? I just got out of a 2500 and haven't changed my stinger yet (adjustable PP for HAHA). I went out to the garage and measured where I had it set....6" drop. I try for a stinger height at 15" from ground to top of stinger bar while installed in the truck.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:15 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Here is a cheat sheet I use. Substitute you own coupler height, but don't forget the top inside edge of the box opening is 5 1/2" below the top of the coupler...

Hensley Arrow calculations.docx

And remember, there will be some squat of the rear of the truck.

Also, my calculations take into account 16" tires and wheels (raised the trailer 1/2") and 900 - 1050# tongue weight depending on toys loaded (bikes and bike rack on tongue) and stuff in the bed of the truck.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:37 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
I'm planning to re-install the batteries and hook up to the Silverado. Checking the height differential from front to rear should indicate how much needs to be cut off the stinger drop. I found a local welding shop that will handle the reduction for a lot less than ordering a new stinger from Hensley. I know they have exchange program, but I'm not the original hitch owner so in order to take advantage of a Hensley swap (I never asked how much that would be) I'd have to purchase a Hensley extended warranty for $500+.

I also noticed that one the trailer is set up to ride level, it looks as though the Hensley torsion bars will ride very low to the ground? I never noticed it before, but there is no doubt that when hooked up to our Suburban, the trailer obviously was higher at the front.

Any thoughts about this?
Old 02-01-2015, 06:42 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I don't worry about the ground clearance. I've never measured it, but I'd guess 6" or so. I've only (barely) dragged the bars ones coming up and over a raised sidewalk at a gas station. It was an unusual situation where the station was in a hole, relative to street level, and the sidewalk was maybe 6 - 8" above street level.

Measure and weigh carefully. so you only have to weld once. The issue of Hensley only having two inch increment is why I got a "PP for Hensley " stinger. But they are like hen's teeth.