RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-01-2021, 08:58 AM   #1
Shayne

2015 30' Classic
spicewood , Texas
Orion TR-Smart 12/12V-30A Isolated Charger

Fellow Journeyers
Ive just installed a solar and Lithium package on my Classic. My question is has anyone installed a Orion Isolated charger on their TV? I would like to place mine under the TV hood and tie into the upfitter switches in my F250. This way theres a off/on switch and fuse. Im considering a Anderson pole connector next to my 7pin plug to connect to Battle Borns in Airstream.
would love to hear comments on this setup and how you might have configured your charger in your truck.
If you ask why the isolated charger vs just using the 7 pin to charge your batteries its about increasing the watts from about 7amps to 30amps and also not damaging alternator in TV from strain of charging lithium .
thanks
JSBERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:07 AM   #2

2021 30' Globetrotter
Nanaimo , BC
I just purchased this charger. All my research indicates that it should be mounted as close as possible to the coach batteries that it will be charging. It must therefore be mounted in the trailer, not the tow vehicle. As the victron Orion senses the voltage of the alternator and uses that voltage level as an “on/off switch”, a secondary switch is unnecessary but the charger can be configured with a manual switch if you desire (check out the wiring diagrams on Victrons website for more detail.

The Orion 12 12 30 charger is available as an “isolated” or a “non-isolated.” The difference is that the isolated had a negative input terminal and a separate negative output terminal. The non isolated has one negative terminal that would attach to a common negative ground (busbar). The isolated model has circuitry that isolates the alternator “noise” from the charge output. This is handy in a marine application where VHF radio performance may be obscured by the “alternator whine.” I can’t see how this would be an issue with RVs so I bought the “non isolated”

Once I have mine installed, I will post pictures. In the meantime, you can see a few installs on YouTube. Good luck!
AndGorHey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I agree about putting the charger in the trailer. Also be sure to watch the video in this thread about stock alternators getting overheated and failing. That may also need an upgrade. https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37...um-218117.html

Also this video from Long Long Honeymoon where Sean did exactly what you are thinking of and blew up the stock alternator. https://youtu.be/KTGDCSu1kwI
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v