Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Gas 250 or Diesel 250
Diesel 57 70.37%
Gas 24 29.63%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2021, 06:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Opinions on Gas or Diesel?

This may have been covered before. If so please point me in the right direction.

I think I am going to upgrade my 2018 F-150 to a F-250. I have had a F-250 with diesel and, a Dodge 2500 Turbo Diesel in the past. Wish I had kept my 2016 F-250.

But now that I am taking delivery of a new GT 27FBT at the end of October (supposedly), I am thinking about an F-250 again.

The question is Gas or Diesel engine???

I saw a demo the other day where two guys pulled a 9000# trailer with a F-150 V8 gas and an F-250 Diesel. They both did the job on relatively flat terrain. The diesel truck only got 1 mph more than the gas. An upgrade to the diesel F-250 is more than $10K! I can buy a lot of gas for $10K.

Routine maintenance on the diesel is twice that of a V8 gas. I know I have owned them both. Obviously, the diesel will have more power and torque than the gas motor but, do I need it? Do I want it?

Thanks for your time and input,

Wooly
Woolecox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Good friend had an older F250 quad cab 4x4 8 ft. bed diesel (6.4) that was totaled in wreck. He loved that truck. Replaced it with 2021 F350 quad cab 4x4 8 ft. bed with 7.3 gasser. It is his daily driver as he is in construction work and pulls heavy trailers a lot. He REALLY, REALLY loves the new truck. Plenty of power. Quiet. Cheaper fuel (at least here in N.C.), less expensive oil changes, Payload/Cargo capacity right at 4k LBS. This is an XL model with the STX appearance package and plenty of nice options so it is not a stripped model. Very attractive truck in white with nice gray cloth interior.

Oh, one more thing. He paid $46K for it OTD about 10 months ago. Sticker was just under $50K. Hugely capable truck. Why buy an oil burner when something like this is available. We live in western North Carolina so just about anywhere you go it is up and down some pretty good mountain roads. This guy puts a bunch of miles on each year. If it works for him........
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
If I get a 3/4 ton the F250 with the 7.3L is the one I would seriously consider. The thing is a towing monster. But frankly even the 6.2 liter has plenty of power for the 27’AS.

To me the only reason to go with a diesel would be the raw power and the exhaust brake for downhill. And that is really needed most if you are doing lots of mountainous driving. I saw the same demonstration with the V8 and diesel. Now if they were doing mountain driving things would change dramatically on the gas mileage.

But it will be interesting to see the poll.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:16 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Kildeer , Illinois
7.3 L gas = 475 ft-lbs of torque
6.7 L diesel = 1050 ft-lbs of torque

No comparison. Torque pulls trailers. Yes, the gas engine “will” pull a trailer. Comfort and ease of pulling is totally different. Justifying the diesel based on cost is questionable. However ease of towing, less shifting, compression braking and overall comfort in all types of roads and conditions....priceless.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:39 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
San Francisco , California
Diesel because I do not want to have to deal with standard gas pumps with a 50’+ rig.
XCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:20 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
I have a 2021 F-250 with the 7.3L gas engine and love it. All kinds of power. I tow a 25' RB flying cloud, about 6500lbs worth, and in the flatlands of the midwest, if I am careful with my throttle management, I *can* get 10+ mpg towing my trailer. High wind will knock it down, aggressive throttle will knock it down, but I *can* get 10+ if I manage it carefully. I recently returned from a trip out west (yellowstone/grand tetons), including some excursions in the 10% grade arena, and I never lacked for pulling power. Sure, a diesel will out pull me, win the race up the hill, and has better engine braking to offer, but none of those are worth the 10K premium to me. I am slower uphill, but to me, faster means somewhat higher risk, less safety margin, etc. so I am completely comfortable with my pace, and to be clear, I don't consider myself "slow" up the hill. Just acknowledging the fact that the diesel will be there first, and with less effort. Trans braking (downshift and coast) is very effective, and when combined with careful occasional brake pedal use, is more than adequate in my view. If my funding situation was different, and I had way more $$$ than I knew what to do with, I probably would get diesel, but thats not my circumstance. I need to be practical with my expenditures, and for me, I made the right choice in a gasser. Your situation might be completely different, I encourage you to do what's best for you ... not necessarily what the poll results tell you ...

I also have the 4.30 rear end gear, and I am sure that is a part of my satisfaction with my pulling performance
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
When is a more safe, stable, capable tow vehicle ever a disadvantage ? Had a capable late model 1/2 ton towing a 25 and loved it……we’re light on the pedal and never pushed the rig..until there were up and downhill events that reinforced the need for more SAFTEY. Perhaps you will sense the same things we did during routine traveling. Some events scare the ����������out or you then you may be become a believer for a “capable” under all circumstances TV meaning a 3/4 diesel with downhill engine braking.

After all, it’s you and your cargo at risk.
2020 GMC Sierra Denali Diesel 2500 4X4 3.43 Int sway/tow controller
1981 Honda Trail CT110 1X0..no sway control
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:22 PM   #8
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I have a 6.2 F350 with 4.30 gears. I usually get about 10 mpg towing my 25ft. I pulled 300+ miles today and got 10.3 mpg. I sometimes tow a dump trailer with a loaded weight of up to 15k. The truck has no problems with it. If I were touring America with 15k, I'd probably go diesel, though.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:27 AM   #9
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Gas

Does MPG improve towing?

Bob
🇺🇸
Trip to JC 2006 2500 8.1 Burb. 2000rpm

Are you glabberflasted?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5DEDD051-364E-4B85-9122-9F4F6FB40582_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	404444  

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:40 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Kildeer , Illinois
Pretty much universal that those who have gassers like gassers and those who have diesels like diesels. Makes sense as the value proposition is personal. Some worry about money, some worry about utility and ease of mind. You need to figure out your priority.

To address part of the money concern, I did a quick nationwide search on Autotrader.com regarding the resell value of diesel power vs gas. To make it easy, I picked model year 2018 F250's. After scanning about 50 vehicles with ads, the following data was calculated:

Average price for Lariat model with Diesel: $65.2K
Average price for Lariat model with Gas: $57.0K
Difference: $8.2k advantage to diesel

Average price for XLT diesel: $54.7K
Average price for XLT gas: $44.5K
Difference: $10.2K advantage for diesel

Just one set of data points, but I think the conclusion is not complicated.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:21 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Excellent!

Thanks for the input. Very valid points on both sides of this discussion.
Woolecox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:41 AM   #12
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemdd View Post
Pretty much universal that those who have gassers like gassers and those who have diesels like diesels. Makes sense as the value proposition is personal. Some worry about money, some worry about utility and ease of mind. You need to figure out your priority.

To address part of the money concern, I did a quick nationwide search on Autotrader.com regarding the resell value of diesel power vs gas. To make it easy, I picked model year 2018 F250's. After scanning about 50 vehicles with ads, the following data was calculated:

Sorry....My math muddled brain can't follow the above logic.
In ten years nobody will want a dinosaur burner.

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Opinions on Gas or Diesel?

I’ve had both (currently diesel) and, if I had it replace my truck tomorrow, I’d go back to gas.

My current truck is fine — pulls well, has never required anything other than routine servicing, very comfortable but:

Two fuel filters every 7500 miles or so at about $85 if I change them myself. Oil change is about the same (although I don’t do it myself anymore — nothing like a drain pan with 2.5 gallons of toxic waste oil to challenge your disposal skills).

Diesel stinks and there is a permanent puddle of it next to every diesel pump on earth. Once it is on your shoes, you will enjoy that aroma all day. My truck is labeled for no more than B10 biodiesel. In some parts of the country almost impossible to find. You also have to be pretty careful where you buy fuel — get a tank full of bad diesel and destroy the high pressure fuel system and you will need to mortgage your house to pay for the repairs.

DEF is not a big deal but you have to be aware of it. Out West, I carry a spare box as there are some mighty lonely stretches of highway.

I get about a 30% mileage premium over the gasoline powered version of my truck. The fuel is about 30% more expensive in most places so that is a wash.

Just my opinion based on my experience.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:23 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1999 30' Excella 1000
Mukilteo , Washington
What else do you use your truck for??

I have a 2003 F250 with an extended cab and 8’ bed. 10 cylinders. No idea what that translates to in terms of HP or torque. I get 11MPG no matter what I do: tow, haul gravel, or joy ride. When I bought the truck, 10 years ago, a friend who had a similar version in diesel advised me to go gas. His thought process was that I didn’t put enough miles on a truck, or any vehicle I own, to warrant the added expense of taking care of a diesel vehicle. The fuel savings wouldn’t add up. Perhaps it would have if that was the only vehicle I used and was commuting long distances. And… I could do the work on the vehicle myself, which I cannot. So, just another piece to add to the decision matrix.
Luna1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Either will be fine for your Airstream. I went diesel because they did not have any trucks on the lot when I was looking with the options package I wanted. If you get a gasser, you'll get about 800-1000 pounds of payload over a similar diesel. Diesel has more torque and, at least in my case, a slightly larger fuel tank so I can get roughly 425 miles of range at 13 MPG when towing. Diesels cost more initially and maintenance can be more expensive. Diesel fuel right now is about 10-15 cents more per gallon where I live.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:39 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I've towed our 30' with both a F250 gas (6.2L) and an F350 diesel. Power wise, sure, I can spin the rear tires quicker with the diesel. The gas puts out max torque at much higher RPM than the diesel, that matters a lot once it gets to the tires ( half the torque at twice the RPM is same / same ).

Fuel miles while towing improve about 20% with the diesel. That translates to 20% more range on a tank of fuel and a bit less stopping to fill up. A longer bed will get you a bigger tank so there are multiple twists and turns there.

Both vehicles "engine brake" when going down hill. Both do a good job. The diesel does a little better, but it's not night and day.

Having enough power going uphill, even for long stretches was not a problem with the gas engine. I can't think of any case where I "ran out" of power doing this or that. Yes, the diesel (and 10 speed) does a little better than the 6.2 (and 6 speed). Again, not night and day sort of differences.

Can you fill up in the "big truck lanes" with diesel, yes indeed you can. Be sure to have one of those magic cards that only work for that purpose if you want to pay at the pump. Also be ready to wait a couple hours while the truck in front of you just sits and sits and sits there. You can wave to the driver as he gets out and heads inside a dozen or more times ....

To me, the diesel does have advantages. They certainly are not so profound that there is only one answer to the question.

Not 100% sure I'd be an early adopter of the giant gas engine .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:40 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
the only ford i would own, and i own a 2003 7.3L diesel, would be the 7.3L gasser.. WHY... ford still uses, and is the ONLY manf currently, the CP4 pump.. just do a quick search on CP4 pump issues and read to your hearts content..

ram in 2019 and 2020 when back to CP4 from the better CP3 pump.. so many issues they in 2021 model (after april build dates) change BACK to cp3 pump..

GMC went away from CP4 in 2016 after using it since 2011..

READ the tea leaves.. I am heading to ram 6.7 cummins either 2018 or maybe 2021 (cp3) in a year or so when the prices get back from stupid.. the newer unit are getting 20 ish MPG non tow and 14 ish towing..

Heck i get average 12.8 when pulling a 30 ft AS even out west in 6K up air.

good luck whatever you do..
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:43 AM   #18
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemdd View Post

I fail to see a diesel financial advantage in those two comparisons. The diesel engine cost $8 to $10k more when new.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
We love torque of diesel and would not go back. Our Ram 2500 is older (2004) with a 5.9 Cummins diesel engine. 260K miles and going strong (have rebuilt the transmission but only change fluids and brake pads otherwise). Engine is small by today's standards. But it works great towing our 1964 Sovereign (only 4,500 lbs unloaded). We average 17 to 18 mpg towing the trailer and 19 without it. We just returned from a trip up and over the Sierras, camping for 4 days where we drove the truck by itself for access to lakes and day hike trails, and back home...averaged 16.9 mpg. And our truck is currently increasing in resale value.

People quibble about the extra cost of a diesel vs. gas engine. But they may not be looking at the expected lifetime of that gas powerplant. I'm skeptical that a gas engine in a modern truck is going to last nearly as long as a diesel.
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
For a flatlander, gasser is fine, but if you go to the mountains, and I'm talking like the Rockies, diesel hands down.

Ever wonder why semis are all diesel? They last longer, better power and fuel economy. Yes, they do have higher maint costs particularly when changing oil, but you cannot beat a diesel when it comes to low end torque, which is what get the trailer moving.

If GM would have had a diesel SUV (not that mini-duramax they have now), but the real duramax like in the pickups, I'd have gladly leapfrogged from gasser to diesel.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote