Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Gas 250 or Diesel 250
Diesel 57 70.37%
Gas 24 29.63%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2021, 06:56 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I am the Sucker Born a Minute Ago... Yaaa Hooo to you

I do not shop by price. I shop for what I feel is necessary and has resale value.

Toyotas cost more, but sell faster and for more used. Price is irrelevant as resale is high enough to compensate for the price difference later. Even as a trade in to a Dealer who knows... Tundras... are great vehicles and easy to sell.

I wanted a gas F250. They wanted to sell me a Diesel F350. I wanted a gas F250. They wanted... well this Colorado Ford Dealer wanted to sell that Diesel. Also wanted my Tundra Crew Max... a lot. The F350 was the previous year model, new... and next year's models must have been coming. Looked like they just washed and waxed it. It smelled like a hair salon in the Big City, too.

Probably F150's needing space to be unloaded, on the lot around the corner... waiting.

My wife said she did not want either. We were not hauling livestock. This was more truck than we needed. Even the ground sagged when they parked it in front of the Door.

The saleswoman needed this sale... she had to do something to sweeten the deal. Ford heavy duty floor mats for the interior and a heavy Ford mat for the bed. They weigh as much as a F150... the mats.

I loved my silver Toyota Crew Max 4x4 with a matching shell, heavy duty floor mats, too. A tear formed in one of my eyes, I forget which. I have allergies.

The Sales Manager liked it as well and no doubt had a buyer for the Toyota... and a potential Yaaa Hooo with a Wyoming tee shirt, looking at this Diesel Tank on wheels. It also had the step up full sized rails to climb into the cab. Otherwise... you could pull a groin muscle, or worse... bean myself falling out after a second attempt to mount this monster.

I really liked the Michelin Tires on the F350. They were like those on my Toyota. I wandered out into the parking lot while my wife and Ford Dealer were wondering what I was now doing. I never say I like ANYTHING on the Lot... ever.

We thanked everyone that were already disappointed and began to walk out the door... but were asked to come in, sit down...

The story comes to an ending:

WE Love our F350 Kings Ranch double cab Diesel 4x4... maroon color too. Has the Steer Horns stiched on the back of the front seats. If that ain't Western Yaaa Hooo, what is? A true Cruiser at Cheyenne Frontier Days with all of the F450 hauling livestock and hay.

We are dragging this Airstream around, two Blue Heelers and wave at everyone. My grin looks like someone who won the lottery for $25 and happy about it. We celebrated a successful business deal. It always is fun when we go... shopping.

I will be the good guy on the next purchase. A SUV-LC Toyota for my sweetie. It is now sitting in the garage. Had to pay over sticker this year... you can't always find a sweet spot when shopping. Did get a nice straw hat and some air and oil filters tossed into the deal. Toyota mats were already... included.

If it were not for those who buy anything on the lot that everyone wants to buy for comfort... great. I thank you. Some day... I can pull you out of a ditch and you can buy me a Sas Frass Flip... The Heelers... Salmon mix dog food works for them.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:00 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Tucson , Arizona
Love our diesel, Ram 2500 Cummins. Can’t imagine having gas after this one.

Arthur
turonueve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:06 AM   #83
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
After me GMC Denali 2500HD Crew I need no gas.

But usually have it.

Do you have ANY idea how long it takes to type "GMC Denali 2500HD Crew"? If you shut yer pooter off you gotta type it again so's you can cut-n-paste.

Anyways; love diesel, love 3/4 ton, love big trucks - I can not lie.
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:42 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
WOW - you got that right. I was so confused when I kept hearing the gas would have more payload due to the 800lb diesel engine weight penalty, yet I saw diesels on the lot with same payload as the gas model. Dealer was clueless and Ford customer help line was no better. Finally decided to do my own homework. To confirm I found a late 2017 diesel on a dealer lot and it was 10,800 GVWR with 2900 payload. I explained all this to the dealer showing me around and he was clueless but thanked me for the information. Ford needs to do better on educating their dealers for sure. All this chatter does not make your decision any easier but at least you know you don't have to sacrifice payload with a properly equipped late 2017 or newer diesel Ford. Happy shopping.
It was almost funny. When I sat down with the “Master Airstream” salesman at the place where I ordered my Globetrotter, I showed her the weight table in my truck owners manual.

The table for my model showed 14,400# GCVWR.

I said, “What does this mean to you?”.

She said, “Well, that means you can tow a 14,400# trailer”.

I said, “No, that is not the case”, and proceeded to explain to her what GCVWR really meant.

Funny thing is, when I was at my Ford dealership a few weeks later, I showed the same table to an assistant salesperson. He said the same thing so, I explained the concept to him too. I had yet another salesman there tell me that my F150 would handle a 30’ Classic with ease, even in the mountains.

When the main sales lady got there, we dug down into what the numbers really mean. Long story short, we ordered a F-250 6.7 diesel, XLT with every possible towing upgrade and a nice XLT upgrade package.

Maybe some day my trailer and truck will be built and I can get back on the road!

Cheers,
Wooly

PS: How many unsuspecting, unknowing customers have driven off in vehicles that not only will not get the job done but, are unsafe?
Woolecox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:50 AM   #85
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
In reference to the above....
If you can find a dealer with a white lot you'll usually find a more knowledgeable sales force...👍

“If you’re happy with what you’re using…it’s adequate.
If other people are unhappy….it’s not”
RLC

I'm happy...

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2B13EF9E-76A0-463B-BB3F-03D61FA9FDBC_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	353.9 KB
ID:	404980   Click image for larger version

Name:	03AAF0DF-269C-4291-8DE1-8FA0790D9D0F_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	404981  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BDEDE69B-2266-44B9-B9FF-3AF700119133.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	404983  
Old 09-27-2021, 06:51 AM   #86
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstreet View Post
1. The OP had enough gas and diesels he should know already what HE wanted.
2. My diesel has an 44 gallon aux tank on the bed. Which means I have 800-900 mile range. . You are not allowed to add a tank like that with gas.
3. My diesel has more than enough power to pull my 10k trailers and flat bed trailers with tractor ..... Anywhere I want to go.
4. The diesel has an exhaust brake which makes down hill grades a non-problem.
5. On the rare chance I have to fill up while towing a can go to the semi-truck lanes and not have to fight with the short cars for the one gas pump with diesel. Truck drivers are more courteous that car drivers. They pull forward be for going inside, for example.
6. My diesel tows the classic at 13 mpg +/- .5 mph. My gas GMC 2500 towed at 8 to 10 mpg.
All true. I just have no experience with the new big gassers. But, the decision has been made. Diesel it is.

Wooly
Woolecox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:47 AM   #87
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Maryland
Love my 2018 F150 Diesel

I have the new F150 diesel and pull a 2018 20FB Flying Cloud. The power is outstanding with minimal shifting on hills. I get between 16 and 18 mpg pulling our Airstream and 25 to 28 without it. I had a gas Ford v8 prior to this truck and I love the diesel. If you don’t need the extra hp of the 250 look into the F150. It’s quiet, powerful, and a perfect match for me!
Gsnedike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:59 AM   #88
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsnedike View Post
I have the new F150 diesel and pull a 2018 20FB Flying Cloud. The power is outstanding with minimal shifting on hills. I get between 16 and 18 mpg pulling our Airstream and 25 to 28 without it. I had a gas Ford v8 prior to this truck and I love the diesel. If you don’t need the extra hp of the 250 look into the F150. It’s quiet, powerful, and a perfect match for me!
Hi

You really should go up to the User CP tab at the top of the page and put your trailer data in. That way the model and year show up under your name. It reduces your typing load and helps folks down the road on posts when you don't mention the trailer specifics.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:24 AM   #89
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake George , Colorado
In my over 60 years of buying motor vehicles I have come to learn a few things. Here is one. Dealerships have meetings that teach them how to keep you in the building. They never teach anything about the vehicle because, and this is number two, the salesman has only been there for three days. He sold another brand for seven days before that and another brand for four days before that and on and on. And the sales manager has been there for three weeks. They don’t care about payload, they don’t care about anything but getting you to sign a deal.And this last one is just my personal opinion. If you buy a vehicle from a dealership you have paid too much. The owners of car dealerships are among the wealthiest people in a city for a reason.
2MileHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolecox View Post
This may have been covered before. If so please point me in the right direction.

I think I am going to upgrade my 2018 F-150 to a F-250. I have had a F-250 with diesel and, a Dodge 2500 Turbo Diesel in the past. Wish I had kept my 2016 F-250.

But now that I am taking delivery of a new GT 27FBT at the end of October (supposedly), I am thinking about an F-250 again.

The question is Gas or Diesel engine???

I saw a demo the other day where two guys pulled a 9000# trailer with a F-150 V8 gas and an F-250 Diesel. They both did the job on relatively flat terrain. The diesel truck only got 1 mph more than the gas. An upgrade to the diesel F-250 is more than $10K! I can buy a lot of gas for $10K.

Routine maintenance on the diesel is twice that of a V8 gas. I know I have owned them both. Obviously, the diesel will have more power and torque than the gas motor but, do I need it? Do I want it?

Thanks for your time and input,

Wooly
Had both also. Love the F250 KR 6.7L 4x4...119K miles now, no issues. Better mileage than the gas model, especially if you stay below 65 (when you can). The engine brake makes the towing much more pleasurable while traveling with traffic at highway speeds, in the mountains...set it and forget it, so to speak. Yes, there is the "extra $" you mention, but I purchased to tow my 28'AS...not to drive around town. When towing, it does an excellent job. If I go back down to a 25' (wife says not happening), I surely would consider a new F150 Echoboost 4x4 again, with proper tow packages and at least 1800lbs payload rating...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:33 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Diesel: The shorter line at a Truck Stop Service

Cannot find gasoline? Out of Gasoline at Service Station?

Diesel may be easier to find available... when gasoline is not.

I have not seen Diesel... Out of Fuel or a yellow bag over the pump handle. The 18 wheeler high flow will fit... just do not... top off the tank.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:43 PM   #92
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I have been on alot of backroads with small stations that only sold gas.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:07 AM   #93
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you get *way* out of town, the main customers are driving log haulers and the like. The typical "daily driver" might be an F350 or something a bit more robust. Gas can get more scarce in areas like that. Even more so if you are looking for gas you don't need to filter as you put it in your tank

Bob
Old 09-29-2021, 09:00 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I have been on alot of backroads with small stations that only sold gas.
How do you think they got their gas at those backroad small stations; diesel truck? Never had an issue finding diesel...most all navigation units also point out where the nearest diesel fuel can be found...(assuming you have/use a navigation unit??)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:14 AM   #95
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I recently read that only 55% of fuel stations in the US sell diesel.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:39 AM   #96
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
I've been driving diesels for a while now, and my last three automobiles have been a VW TDI, Dodge 2500 Cummins, and a BMW 328d.
Some other things to consider that most people don't talk too much about:
Diesels idle very efficiently, enough so they take forever to warm up. My Dodge is my dedicated TV, but when pressed into service for around the town driving, I usually reach my destination before getting good heat or defrost from the vents.
Efficient idling helps me get great MPGs when stuck in traffic. Not hybrid level MPG, but much better than you might think, and if running the A/C is necessary, diesels do very well.
My Cummins Dodge can almost drown out conversation at the drive thru window.
My TDI was a resale champ. I sold it with 265k on the clock for $2300, and at last report, the new owner just rolled it over 400,000 miles.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:46 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I recently read that only 55% of fuel stations in the US sell diesel.

Before we leave the paved humanity access to Boondocking... I top off the tank of Diesel. If I used gasoline... the same strategy.

The ONLY station that does not SELL Diesel I know that should.. is COSTCO.

Reserve, New Mexico... Diesel. Quemado, NM, Diesel. Kemmerer, Wyoming... Diesel. Pie Town, New Mexico... did not check. Somers, Montana... no service stations, so no Diesel.

Out west... Diesel is very popular up to the Washington, Oregon and California borders as far as I know. To the East... Diesel.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:03 AM   #98
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Here's where I read that 55% number:

https://www.dieselforum.org/diesel-drivers/fuel-locator

I misquoted it earlier when I said that number was for the US. The article says it's for North America.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:01 AM   #99
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I think that if I started counting stations here at home, the 50% number would actually be a bit high in terms of diesel (and this is very much a trucking hub). The convenience store with a couple of pumps out front often is a "gasoline only" sort of thing.

That said, there still are maybe a dozen places I can go to fill up the truck and not drive more than a few miles to do it. There's also three CAT scales I can get to within the same sort of range.

Bob
Old 09-30-2021, 09:11 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
The ONLY station that does not SELL Diesel I know that should.. is COSTCO.
The Costco near me in Folsom California sells diesel.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote