Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2016, 09:06 PM   #21

2013 25' FB International
Salem , Oregon
2016 F150 Pro Backup configurations

I attempted to configure my Pro Backup on my 2016 F150 Lariat with my 2013 25FB' International over the weekend. I found the same dilemma as many others...where to place the reflective sticker. The instructions said between 7-22" from the center of the ball. Mine was set at 6.5" to avoid going under the Propane tank cover.

The next dilemma is that I use a 12" hitch stinger so that I could drop/raise the tailgate for my black lab to jump in/out of the bed. Even with the longer stinger I discovered my previous hitch set up was too high and the newer curved/spoiler on the tailgate hit right on the hitch lock. Needless to say I ended up lowering the easy lift hitch coupler by a notch and then likewise on the torsion bars. This gave me about an 1" plus clearance for the tailgate to clear.

Next I got everything leveled out and recorded the measurements as the instructions called for. When I went to enter the measurements into the F150 Pro Backup computer, I found my measurements were outside the parameters that the system would accept. I ended up using the closest measurements that the system would allow. The system then calibrated itself based on those measurements. I tried using it a couple times, and kept getting a message that the said something to the effect please take over steering/backing, the system label was out of range.

After researching all the Pro Backup video's, troubleshooting guides and the F150 forums, I found no solutions to the measurement configuration issues.

I then called Ford tech support, but they referred me back to the dealer, saying that the dealers service technicians have access to technical bulletins. I went to the dealer and the service writer had no clue what to do. He called in a lead technician and likewise he has not come across this issue yet. I provided them the F150 VIN, all the measurements/specifications and photos. He said he would call the engineers at Ford tomorrow and get back to me.

So for now, use of the Pro Backup feature is on hold. I hope there's a programing fix for it. I really dislike spending money on accessories that I can't use. I will post an update once the tech gets back to me.
ETAParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Looking forward to the update!
Old 04-19-2016, 06:25 PM   #23

2013 25' FB International
Salem , Oregon
I received a call back from the Ford Service Advisor today. According to the Ford Technical "hot line" there's no fix or modifications that can be made to the Pro Backup system to compensate for the extended hitch stinger nor can is there any adjustments with the reflective stickers measurements on the AS tongue. The service advisor suggested relocating the Propane Tanks and I told him that's not an option. So, many of us who spent the $700 for the pro backup with the trailer tow package are out of luck when it comes getting local support from the Ford Service Departments on this matter.

I suspect there are many more 2015 & 2016 F150 owners with AS's experiencing this same issue. Does anyone know how to appeal this matter to Ford Engineering and somehow include AS Engineers in the discussion as well? I'm open to suggestions.
ETAParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:12 PM   #24

2016 28' International
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by egraham View Post
See post #3, For first measurement I went from license plate to front of PP hitch rather than the ball.

Maybe this will help
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:55 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
[QUOTE=Hiho After rereading the detailed "Quick Start Guide" for the pro trailer backup assist I see where I measured at the wrong angle, as shown on the sticker placement diagram. It sounds like you put yours next to where the propane tanks cover rests on the A-frame. I'm going to give that a try, thanks again.[/QUOTE]

I think this will work for the sticker placement. It does for my 27 FC. Just like in the photo in post # 17.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:36 PM   #26
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by egraham View Post
See post #3, For first measurement I went from license plate to front of PP hitch rather than the ball.
Could someone who has set this up with a ProPride hitch post a picture of where you put the sticker and highlite the spot you used for the first measurement?
SailorSam205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Seems to be an older thread, but I couldn't help but noticing that the sticker is reflecting in the propane cover. Maybe try to cover that reflection area with a non-reflective surface. I also have a car hauler and reflections, even if it is just the sun, will affect the computer program. The area needs to be "dull" in some cases for the camera to see it properly.

I have this backup system in my ford. I will be experimenting soon when I get my trailer out.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I have it. Would not give you $.10 for it. Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
JEEZ! YOU GUYS!
Have you forgotten K.I.S.S.? (Keep it simple stoopid!)

My 2015 Ford F-150 does NOT have a 'Back-up assist'; only a back up camera.
I have a silver coloured ball, that goes under a coupler with a piece of yellow tape on it.
When the silver ball disappears under the yellow tape, I'm there.
Takes ten seconds, and I'm within 1/8" of dropping the coupler on it.
It's that simple!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:16 AM   #30
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
JEEZ! YOU GUYS!
Have you forgotten K.I.S.S.? (Keep it simple stoopid!)

My 2015 Ford F-150 does NOT have a 'Back-up assist'; only a back up camera.
I have a silver coloured ball, that goes under a coupler with a piece of yellow tape on it.
When the silver ball disappears under the yellow tape, I'm there.
Takes ten seconds, and I'm within 1/8" of dropping the coupler on it.
It's that simple!
Back-up assist is not for helping hook up. However, when engaged and setup properly. I will drive your trailer backwards with your hands off the wheel. You control brakes and gas. Ever get stuck in a spot with no chance of turning around? B-U Assist should make backing up 200+ yards a piece of cake.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:57 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
Yikes! I want my fancy pro -trailer back up assist to work, Help!!

Anybody out there have experience mounting the black and white sticker on an Airstream A-frame with the propane tanks in the way of the 7" minimum, ball to center of sticker? I have an F-150 Platinum and new Airstream 25 FC. Can it be vertical as well as horizontal? If it's stuck the propane tank, center it or put it off to the side? Advice/comments, please! Thanks.
rbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:34 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
works well

I have a 2016 F150 Platinum SuperCrew and a 2017 AS Flying Cloud 27FB

I have it set up with the Pro Backup Assist ~ the back end of the sticker is up against the propane tank. I use an Equal-i-zer hitch so can not speak to the other hitches.

Once the measurements have been input and set up is done it easy to use.

I have used it many times on both my airstream and my motorcycle trailer and it is very easy to use.

I learned to drive backing trailers for my dad who sold travel trailers. I am very proficient at backing but this is even better.
Mikenbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:03 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Working placed here...

This placement is working for me.. pretty well anyway. Seems to lose it if I move faster than a crawl, but out of the box, located and calibrated fine. Backs up straight and all...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0812.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	286694  
davloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #34

Bettendorf , Iowa
Hi Egraham,

I recently purchased the PP hitch. It tows great - and we love it so far! Unfortunately, I am having some trouble getting*the trailer backup assist feature (2016*Ford F-150) to work.* The system is having trouble locating the sticker, and it's a little hard to figure what measurements to take since there is no "ball hitch".* I was wondering if you could provide some additional details.* Where did you ultimately place the sticker? When you measured the horizontal distance from the license plate to the ball hitch, what did you use as the pivot point? Any additional details would be appreciated (or a photo if that's easier).* Unfortunately the backup assist has become a bit a crutch for me, I would hate to not have it : ). * Thanks.*
wagsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:22 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
2011 19' International
2007 25' International CCD FB
Pleasant Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaldwin View Post
Anybody out there have experience mounting the black and white sticker on an Airstream A-frame with the propane tanks in the way of the 7" minimum, ball to center of sticker? I have an F-150 Platinum and new Airstream 25 FC. Can it be vertical as well as horizontal? If it's stuck the propane tank, center it or put it off to the side? Advice/comments, please! Thanks.
First attempt: I applied the sticker on my 2016 25FB as far back as I could go. Attempted to input into my 2016 F-150 Lariat and the sticker was too close.

I found that I could shove my propane cover back further and gain almost an inch more distance from the center of the ball. Will report out if it works this time. Also, there is a channel towards the back so I will probably mount the sticker on an aluminum plate first then attach it to the tongue using double sided tape.
BoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:22 AM   #36
Njg
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Columbia , Missouri
You have the same set up as I do practically and I wasted an hour trying to get this working last night. Also tried putting the sticker on the equalizer bars with no success. Could you please send a picture of where you placed your sticker?
Njg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:25 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
After reading the posts on this tread. This question has been asked a couple different times but so far no answers....
Could anyone with the ProPride hitch PLEASE post images of their sticker placement. Pivot point measurement etc.

By the way. Did your truck come with these stickers? I have a 2017 F150 and I'm don't remember seeing any stickers.

Thanks in advance

Doug
Old 09-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Cool Ford Pro Trailer Backup Assist and ProPride hitch Airstream

Quote:
After reading the posts on this tread. This question has been asked a couple different times but so far no answers....
Could anyone with the ProPride hitch PLEASE post images of their sticker placement. Pivot point measurement etc.

By the way. Did your truck come with these stickers? I have a 2017 F150 and I'm don't remember seeing any stickers.
Ok, Arctic Fox, and others. I too wanted to know about how the Ford Pro Trailer Backup Assist works with a Pro-Pride hitch. I spoke with Sean and hunted all over Airforums and F150 forum- lots of questions and no answers.

So, after spending time playing with it and experimenting I came up with a solution at least for me. As far as sticker placement goes, here is a picture:

I added a plate to mount it. The truck initially kept hunting for the sticker on the other side but it eventually found it. I needed a plate because of the jack base and lack of room. The measure from the license plate to center of hitch ball must be set to the 16" maximum. Then the other measures have to be made from that point. On my hitch, it was just before the actual yoke shield (the metal piece in front of the two silver caps below). The actual pivot point is the same distance as the hitch ball- the two silver caps but it is not an obtainable distance with the Ford Pro Trailer Backup setting for license plate to hitch ball center. Make sure to make all other settings from the point 16" from license plate on your hitch setup as your "hitch ball center" even though it is not.

The system works well. I am wary of letting it do fine tuning of backup right now. It does however provide a cool feature. I backed a long way across my storage center- down two aisles straight as an arrow with no hands on the steering wheel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trailer.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	295799  
Old 09-29-2017, 11:53 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post

Thanks in advance

Doug
You should have received this booklet with stickers and measurement cards inside. It was in the pouch in the glove box along with the owner's manual, warranty info, and other related stuff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Back up guide.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	295804  

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I am not Arctic Fox but I will answer as well. It was in a separate shrink wrapped package in the manual folder- the fabric holder with all the manuals. It comes with a book, 2-3 cards to write down the measurements and about 6 stickers.