Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2019, 04:06 AM   #41
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Bob View Post
...Our family lost a house in Germany when the boarder was closed by the Nazis, they up and left it behind right before the closure. The house was returned to us in the 90's when the wall was taken down.

I'm glad that your family was able to get out in time and that the house was eventually returned. The Berlin wall was built by communists to keep their people in. They never had a problem with people trying to enter East Germany illegally.
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #42
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
If this thread can not stay on topic it will be closed.

The politics of the US government regarding the Southern border and other aspects need to stay out of this website as those types of topics are polarizing.

This site isn't about polarizing, it is about sharing information, ideas and experiences regarding the Air Stream product and related items to that.

This particular thread is about a truck. Please keep the topic about that.

Thank you.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #43
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
If this thread can not stay on topic it will be closed.

The politics of the US government regarding the Southern border and other aspects need to stay out of this website as those types of topics are polarizing.

This site isn't about polarizing, it is about sharing information, ideas and experiences regarding the Air Stream product and related items to that.

This particular thread is about a truck. Please keep the topic about that.

Thank you.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Nothing more 'polarizing' than Stream'n. 😂

“If your happy with what your using…it’s adequate.
If other people are un-happy….it’s not”
RLC

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #44
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
So I guess us Canucks offering to pay half for a wall in the north cause "Winter's coming" would be way out of line.

But if we used Tundra's and Sierra's to build it, and compared the trucks......

It would have to be just a four foot chain link fence, cause the Canadian dollar isn't worth as much as it use to be.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:33 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Does the trick tailgate remind anyone of an Airstream aluminum step set?
Old 01-06-2019, 10:06 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Why, oh why do people think that they have saved money when a manufacturer discounts or offers an incentive to buy a vehicle.....these "offers", "incentives", or "discounts" along with the cost of "0% financing have already been factored into the MSRP of the vehicle, especially full size trucks. Do you think it cost Ford anywhere close to $85,000 to build that truck, when you can buy essentially the very same truck in a work truck trim for just over $25,000.

The manufacturers of large trucks and SUV's are pocketing minimum $5,000 - $15,000 in clear profit for each vehicle....after incentives.

You didn't save anything; you paid what the market rate for that truck was on that peticular day; which was still too much IMHO. I wouldn't be giggling, not at all.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
But he did pay less for the Chevy than for the Ford. However, with A plan pricing and other incentives I could’ve gotten the Ford for a lot less than $80k. Nowadays getting a new Duramax for that price is a good deal.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:13 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
But he did pay less for the Chevy than for the Ford. However, with A plan pricing and other incentives I could’ve gotten the Ford for a lot less than $80k. Nowadays getting a new Duramax for that price is a good deal.
Yep, you got it - he's confused.

Ford:

The Ford sticker (Plat. Diesel, long bed F350) was $82k, I purchased it for $70k out the door ... no sales tax. Then I decided not to get an AS trailer, two weeks later I decided to sell the Ford. the F350 sold within days to someone for $72,900 after 700 miles of use.

GM:

Some GM dealers are aggressively discounting the one ton Denali models to pricing equal to their 2018 year end closeouts.

Here's the point, which I must not have clearly communicated:

I love having a beefy one-ton diesel for $59k +/-

It meets my value equation and if it's stored in the same hangar as the AS trailer, then I don't feel so guilty about it. They're a package. My daily driver is the little truck (1/2 ton)...and it makes me happy to drive. Especially knowing it's a cost effective alternative to a comparably equipped Ford or other. Yes I know it's older technology, but my buns are chilled in the summer, it has cross traffic alert and other teen driver features etc. Plus it drives just great. Ford, Ram, Toyota and GM all make terrific trucks. I don't need to lead the pack with technology in this case (Ram or Ford) ... I'm happy with a truck which meets my needs and is oh maybe 20% less than the newest tech versions.

I must be getting old. The early adopter urges in me are fading
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:57 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Anyway, point being I don’t make buying decisions based on cutesy magazine articles or phony “reliability” claims. I look the vehicle over and can judge for myself which ones are built stronger and will last on the road.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:41 AM   #49
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwall View Post
Check out this all-electric truck due out in 2020: https://products.rivian.com

Almost twice the horsepower of my 3500 GMC Denali diesel, and mind-boggling torque. If you want technology, here it is. I wrote them a note suggesting more payload for towing, but it will tow 11,000 pounds with great off-road abilities.

This sounds REALLY great, but I noticed it's kind of light on some details.

Having driven an EV for a bit over 6 years now, I'm pretty familiar with some of the basic limitations of EVs.

Unlike a commuter car that might be taken on long trips, these seem purpose built for towing and off road, which is fantastic, absolutely fantastic...but....what is the charging infrastructure....most needed info esp if you use these to tow on long trips. Second, there is a lot of this 'UP TO" talk everywhere (not only here), and before one plunks down $70kish, what is it going to get real world, not best case when pulling 10k of RV behind it? Last question is support. What if there is a breakdown, what if it needs service? I didn't see any of those answers on the website.

If Tesla was to release a similar truck, most of these answers are already out there....Tesla has a full blown charging network, they also have nationwide support and repair. Other than that, the specs on these look outstanding and blow away nearly every EV that is out there today.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:01 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Can a GMC tailgate from a 2019 be.retrofitted on a 2013? Vertically challenged.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:01 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Can a GMC tailgate from a 2019 be.retrofitted on a 2013? Vertically challenged.
Hi, I would say no! GM made fun of Ford's tailgate step and now they have one. Ford's tailgate step is fairly simple, but very expensive. At that rate, how much do you think it would cost for the new GM tailgate? Maybe $3,000.00?????
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:47 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2005 30' Classic
Keswick , Virginia
Rivian R1T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
This sounds REALLY great, but I noticed it's kind of light on some details.

Having driven an EV for a bit over 6 years now, I'm pretty familiar with some of the basic limitations of EVs.

Unlike a commuter car that might be taken on long trips, these seem purpose built for towing and off road, which is fantastic, absolutely fantastic...but....what is the charging infrastructure....most needed info esp if you use these to tow on long trips. Second, there is a lot of this 'UP TO" talk everywhere (not only here), and before one plunks down $70kish, what is it going to get real world, not best case when pulling 10k of RV behind it? Last question is support. What if there is a breakdown, what if it needs service? I didn't see any of those answers on the website.

If Tesla was to release a similar truck, most of these answers are already out there....Tesla has a full blown charging network, they also have nationwide support and repair. Other than that, the specs on these look outstanding and blow away nearly every EV that is out there today.
You have far greater experience with EVs. I agree charging is the issue. From another site, they have been asked a lot about this, but they were quiet on the subject, saying they are working on it. I also wonder about service. This truck is so computerized, I wonder how much they will be able to do remotely. Certainly they should be able to diagnose the problem. Wouldn't it be great if they could send us the instructions on how to fix it. Getting towed in from some of the places I go fishing would be a very bad day. On the other hand, it is great they want this vehicle to go into remote places, working hand-in-hand with adventurists. This truck is in many ways more capable than a Jeep Rubicon.

I hope this truck is hugely successful, and I think it will be. Certainly it will evolve, and so will charging capabilities. Maybe that glass roof will become a highly-evolved solar panel, which might not completely charge the batteries, but could extend our range. 10 years from now, we might be wondering how to dispose of these big gas or diesel vehicles we have now. I have probably spent $10,000 on diesel fuel in the last two years. How does that translate if we switch to an EV?

I couldn't carry all the gear in this Rivian, mainly bikes and kayaks, but this is a very exciting vehicle. I want one!
Charlottesville, Virginia
gregwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:21 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Bob View Post
When a boarder is CLOSED nothing crosses it. Our family lost a house in Germany when the boarder was closed by the Nazis, they up and left it behind right before the closure. The house was returned to us in the 90's when the wall was taken down. Now just say goodbye to GMC for now. I bet the auto makers lobbyists are freaking out.
Incorrect. While it is true some GMCs are built on Mexico, many are built in Ft. Wayne, IN and Flint, MI, so even if the border was closed, you will still be able to buy a GMC.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #54
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwall View Post
You have far greater experience with EVs. I agree charging is the issue. From another site, they have been asked a lot about this, but they were quiet on the subject, saying they are working on it. I also wonder about service......

I sent them a list of about 10 questions. My guess is that if they are quiet on other threads/forums, they prob won't be able to answer most of what I asked them.

I could deal with reduced capacity in terms of gear, but I could hardly plunk down $65k, let alone agree to a $1000 deposit for something they haven't fully worked out yet. IMHO, if you have a deposit out there, you really need to have some of the basics addressed, unless you are looking for just the bleeding edge folks.

I agree, this is really interesting and not to take this way off topic, but Tesla is also suppose to have some sort of showing of an elec pickup that also gets upward of 400 miles per charge. They also have the new roadster in the pipeline that is suppose to get upward of 600 miles a charge.....and just announced today, Tesla is dropping the lowest rung battery packs on two of their models.

I may just hang onto the old Suburban instead of looking at a diesel replacement until things settle a bit with EVs. I had no idea that they "had the technology" to build a consumer grade electric tow vehicle that could at least on paper be an actual tow vehicle, then again, if they can build a electric tractor trailer big rig, guess it's not all that far fetched. What I do know is that I really like spending about .25/day to drive 33 miles with the EV vs $2-3/day for the same ride with my V8 powered vehicle! I really enjoy the silence when driving and EV too. It's hard to adjust going back to the Suburban, even though compared to most gassers it's really quiet, compared to the EV, riding in the truck it's like running straight pipes.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote