Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Diesel!

Pretty much agree with all the above. Ford did make one or two good model years of the 6.? liter engines but you would have to do some research to find out which ones. Any older 7.3 is about as dependable as they get. As far as the Dodge/Cummins, they never did have a bad year as far as I know. As mentioned, any issue at all with any diesel will get quite expensive real quick!!! I would be looking for a 2500 or 3500 Chev or GMC with the 454. Cheap to fix and not that bad on gas. I would get a consistent 14mpg cruising the Interstates and between 8 and 9 towing my 24 ft Tradewind. Good luck! Motor On!!!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:57 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
I have a 2003 Ram 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins HO. It has 90k miles and I have no intention of replacing it. Duramax is also a good diesel and GM normally fits those with the allison transmission. You can't go wrong with Cummins or Duramax!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:13 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2017 30' International
Sun City , Arizona
Ditto for me on the Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
The 6 liter ford diesels had a lot of problems...very costly...they was why I switched to the dodge...ram..and never regretted it..no more fords for me
Between my dad, brother and me, weve owned six Ford diesels in the 6- liter range going back to 2003. Each of us has had problems that required extensive engine maintenance. They each were bought new and never had the engines chipped. After being stranded on I-70 on a holiday weekend towing a full eight horse trailer with a blown turbo intercooler, I gave up on trying to make the Ford diesels work for me. The three of us now all drive Ram trucks with Cummins diesels. No problems with the engine/drivetrain, but of course YMMV.

For the question at hand, I agree with an earlier post, consider a gasser for TV if only needed for a few years. Cheaper to buy and cheaper to maintain.
Escape_Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
A Dodge ram with an older cummins is a much better choice. They are a fantastic engine. If you can find one that's pre emissions as in no SCR and low miles (100-200 000) is a good range. Then your costs of owning will probably be cheaper than buying a new diesel. I was, until this year a Diesel tech, and if I were to buy a Diesel, this is what I would buy. Having been a cummins tech, I've seen these cummins engines still running with no history of major repairs with upwards of 500 000 miles on them.

I would also take a higher mileage vehicle with an excellent service history, than a lower milage vehicle without anyday.
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
They're also very simple and easy to work on. And cummins will give you access to a full factory manual on their service site.

Quite often, repairing a Ford requires lifting the cabin to access an engine that's too large for the hole it's in.
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:35 PM   #26
Our "S" peeled off

2012 30' Classic
Topeka , Kansas
Used Cummins

Last year I bought a 2001 Ram 2500 Cummins HO six speed from the original owner. He happened to be the senior master mechanic at a dealer who just wanted something new. These awesome rigs are still out there but it takes a little to find them. It hauled a 30 foot Classic over 2000 miles without skipping a beat and got 12 MPG while doing it. Around town it gets better mileage than my wife's SUV. Go diesel.
Airtream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Don't bother with older diesels. While they make good torque to get you off the line, they simply don't have the power (hp) output compared to modern diesel or gas motors. That means passing power and uphill climbing power won't be there compared to a modern mill.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:18 PM   #28
Renassiance man

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Simi valley , California
Diesel

Im perplexed!
Your are buying a new trailer to use for two weeks a year for a few years until you retire, and need to buy a newer truck to tow it with.
If you add it all up you will be spending a bundle of money ( insurance, depreciation, licensing, storage cost, tires and batteries etc) for a two week vacation for a couple of years till you retire for two weeks a year worth of use!
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #29
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
MickeyC speaks for the Cummins/Ram so I will speak for the Duramax. I have owned two with no major difficulties. One for 100,000, the other for over 125,000 miles. The only word of caution I offer applies to all diesels. If you are not using a biodiesel blend regularly beware. It is getting difficult in some parts of the country to find pure diesel and therefore you will be forced to use a bio blend. Problem: It is such a good fuel cleaner it will leave you out in the middle of nowhere with a clogged fuel filter. That mean limping home, maybe in the mountians, to the nearest repair facility that can change a fuel filter and maybe later on an EGR valve and soot filter cleanup. I would definitely recommend using all synthetic lubricants including oil and perform all the scedulled maintenance. One of these days I'm going to replace my 2007 with another D'max. There are already well over a million produced with no appreciable changes to design. Only EPA requirements and power enhancements.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I drive a older diesel and I like it. But if I was in your place I would buy a gas TV.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:43 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Don't bother with older diesels. While they make good torque to get you off the line, they simply don't have the power (hp) output compared to modern diesel or gas motors. That means passing power and uphill climbing power won't be there compared to a modern mill.
I have to disagree, my 2002 7.3 bone stock has plenty of passing power and towing 7K it has no problems keeping up on the grades. When I am towing I don't need to pass anyway except for the occasional farm tractor and when not towing she will easily maintain 80MPH on the steepest and longest of grades leaving many gassers behind. Not that I do 80 anymore, I find it much more relaxing to slow down and hang way behind the herds going nowhere fast.

PS I got tired of people asking if I had a 6.0 so I got a custom license plate....same as my username.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
I traded a nice 07 2500 ram...6.7..6 speed auto....373.....110,000 ..350 hp...17 empty..12.5 with13 31 Classic.....did as well as our new 17....whichis 380 hp....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #33
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you are buying a diesel to save money at the pump .... check the numbers. A *lot* of states now have much higher taxes on diesel than on gas. The net result pretty much eliminates any savings in those states.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:04 PM   #34
The Warthog

2019 28' Flying Cloud
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I would agree. A good F150 with eco boost would easily do it. I pull 28 with eco boost and propride hitch and it works just fine. I can drive faster than I would want and as a daily driver the F150 is a great truck. When I retire I will go with 3/4 ton since I will be needing more payload for longer trips.
I have an eco boost in my F150 now. Dead weight towing, it would own the 28 no problem. My truck has only 1280lbs payload, so its out of the question with that 1000lb tongue weight. Unless I special order a 7600# GVR F150, the Ford 1/2 ton is out (and even then Id only gain a couple hundred lbs).
GSansoucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:09 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSansoucie View Post
I have an eco boost in my F150 now. Dead weight towing, it would own the 28 no problem. My truck has only 1280lbs payload, so its out of the question with that 1000lb tongue weight. Unless I special order a 7600# GVR F150, the Ford 1/2 ton is out (and even then Id only gain a couple hundred lbs).

My xlt has 1860lbs of payload.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:16 PM   #36
The Warthog

2019 28' Flying Cloud
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsdeal View Post
Im perplexed!
Your are buying a new trailer to use for two weeks a year for a few years until you retire, and need to buy a newer truck to tow it with.
If you add it all up you will be spending a bundle of money ( insurance, depreciation, licensing, storage cost, tires and batteries etc) for a two week vacation for a couple of years till you retire for two weeks a year worth of use!
Let me try to unperplex you.

We have been averaging 34 nights a year now that the kids are older (and moved/ing our). Before kids, we camped all but one weekend a month from end of March into early November plus 2 weeks of vacations. Our goal is to go back to that. That would put us at about 50-60 nights a year, give or take, which is 1/6 or 16% of the year spent in a camper.

I am well aware of what we are spending. This gives us a 6.5 year jump on our retirement RV. In the long run, we are saving a bundle. Weve gone through RVs at a rate of 1 every 2.5 years for the past 25 years. We live in Maine, we have sales tax and excise tax. Weve done very well on resale, only eating depreciation on three RVs thus far.

I got an above average deal on our 28RBS (considering 20% off is average) something that we could not swing next year, literally the stars were in alignment with this one dealer that stood out from the rest.

With all of this said, I nixed the used Diesel approach, too risky for me (though I did pass on the information to a coworker who needs a work truck and was very interested). I should know more on Wednesday, but I have a new lead on some 2018 3/4 ton gas trucks that would work out nicely.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:21 PM   #37
The Warthog

2019 28' Flying Cloud
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
My xlt has 1860lbs of payload.
Did you buy yours from stock or special order?

I have looked through countless F150s and Ram 1500s trying to find one with decent enough payload. Most Ive found is 1400.

At this point though, since I need to get a new[er] TV, Im going with a 3/4 ton.

Even if I rolled back to the beginning of last year when I bought my F150, Id make the same choice. Our plan back then was to keep our new RV for three seasons and buy a Sprinter chassis motorhome until we retired. The truck was going to be sold at the end of next season anyway. This Airstream thing really derailed all our plans ;-)
Old 09-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSansoucie View Post
Did you buy yours from stock or special order?

I have looked through countless F150s and Ram 1500s trying to find one with decent enough payload. Most Ive found is 1400.

At this point though, since I need to get a new[er] TV, Im going with a 3/4 ton.

Even if I rolled back to the beginning of last year when I bought my F150, Id make the same choice. Our plan back then was to keep our new RV for three seasons and buy a Sprinter chassis motorhome until we retired. The truck was going to be sold at the end of next season anyway. This Airstream thing really derailed all our plans ;-)

I bought off the lot and made sure heavey accessories were avoided; like sun roofs.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:27 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Cumming , Georgia
I think your on the right track with the used diesel. The Ford had a lot of trouble with their Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) system on a number of models, just google it and you'll find all kinds of information on their issues and the model years. The best diesel engine , in my opinion, is the GM Duramax. I know people who have driven them for well over 250,000 and love them. Any diesel engine should go twice as far as a gas engine. The Mercedes diesel in the Sprinter and the Ford diesels have had issues around the 100K point.

If you don't like the DEF system you can have it taken off for about $1,800. Diesel engines are not required to pass emission tests in GA, only gas engines. Check your state laws on emission testing.

Yes you have to change the fuel filter at around 25,000 miles and yes you have a DEF system to feed but neither is a big deal. I would definitely get the diesel as your TV. Gas engines work much harder when towing. My 2016 GMC 6.6l Duramax diesel sits at 1600 rpm at 65mph if I'm towing or not. The engine does not appear to work any harder pulling my 30" International than not towing, and it will go up a mountain without dropping out of gear if your cruise control is on, try that with a gasser. I have a friend who pulls a 34' Jayco with a 5.7L Toyota and says it stays in 5th gear (its a 6 speed) at 65mph on the freeway.

I get 14-15mpg with my diesel while towing and 18-23 when not towing. You will be lucky to get 10mpg with a gas engine.

The GMC 2500 6.6L turbo diesel is the first diesel I've ever owned and I am incredible impressed with it. If your towing, a diesel is the best engine designed for the job, hands down.

When your towing an RV with a diesel you can always fuel up very easily at any truck stop. You never have to worry about getting into a tight situation at auto gas stations. At truck stops, you can just pull straight into a truck lane with no problem or stress. I love this advantage.

I won't even go into all the advantages of the 2500 truck over a 1500, like stability and braking.

Good luck, wish you all the best in whatever vehicle you buy.
Scott59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:10 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
I have to disagree, my 2002 7.3 bone stock has plenty of passing power and towing 7K it has no problems keeping up on the grades. When I am towing I don't need to pass anyway except for the occasional farm tractor and when not towing she will easily maintain 80MPH on the steepest and longest of grades leaving many gassers behind. Not that I do 80 anymore, I find it much more relaxing to slow down and hang way behind the herds going nowhere fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
I traded a nice 07 2500 ram...6.7..6 speed auto....373.....110,000 ..350 hp...17 empty..12.5 with13 31 Classic.....did as well as our new 17....whichis 380 hp....
Glad you guys enjoy your vehicles. It doesn't really take monster torque and power to tow an Airstream as you might have realized over the years.

Those power figures are really nothing special. Modern day mainstream gassers make those figures all day long, and then some. If one tries to pass you uphill, it's probably best to let them by. And when you consider your diesel weight disadvantage... Let diesels do what they do best, and that's efficiency and drivability.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote