Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2020, 08:42 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Old truck performance report

14.227 mpg over 5,000+ mile trip.

It is my highly biased opinion that the pre emission (2007.5 and earlier) 5.9 Cummins Ram trucks are the best bang for the buck in the older truck market. I was always a big fan of the 7.3 Fords but I do think they come in second to the 5.9 Cummins Ram.

The truck: 2006 Ram 3500 SRW quad cab 2wd auto short bed 5.9 Cummins, 215,000 miles. Transmission rebuilt at 197K just because it was time. Single disk billet torque converter. Original injectors. No tuner or performance mods, only gauges and an exhaust brake.

Towing 2003 25' Airstream Safari loaded to max weight (possibly a tad over). Driving style, 60 to 65 mph, 70 if needed but not often, anticipated stops, easy acceleration unless aggressive is called for. I tend to keep an eye on the pyrometer and try to keep it around 6K if possible.

Trip: Florida to California and back, 5,000+ miles. Fill up at start, log starting mileage, log all fuel stops, fill up at end with fuel added to total and log ending mileage. I do watch the truck's computer while traveling and was surprised to see the variability in mileage shown on this trip. I'm used to seeing it hang around 15 or so but on this trip it was showing low 13s to high 12s initially which had me concerned. Injectors finally giving up the ghost, engine wear, poor fuel, lead foot? I never suspected the computer could be reporting erratically. On the return trip driving fairly late one night the computer gradually went up to, and held, 15.8 mpg. The next mornings driving saw it run back down to 14 for so. It made no sense.

I just returned to home base and calculated my real mileage. 14.227 mpg average. I remain hitched most of the time although the mileage does include a few bob tail trips to get groceries. All in all pretty respectable performance for an old timer. I had calculated an earlier coast to coast trip with a previous AS 25' at closer to 15 mpg, actually 14.75, so this is close enough for the difference to be meaningless.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Mine is a early 2007 with 245000 on it. I really hate to think about having to replace it.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:04 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

I'm still pulling with my '96 F250 7.3 diesel and getting the same mileage as you're reporting: about 14 mpg long-term average towing.

Just about everything is original on the engine except for a replacement radiator and water pump.

One of my grandsons has first dibs on it when I'm too old for towing anymore. I told him to be patient.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:17 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Brokeboater,

Enjoying the windshield time and getting good MPG with a very capable TV. Nice.

Mine is a 2005 6 speed over 200K, filters, pre-failure water pump R&R that's about it.

6 in a row makes 'em go.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:22 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
I was only home a day then added another 1,200 miles to the clock going to Kentucky and back. Time for an oil and fuel filter change. Old man, old truck, old Airstream, life is good.