Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2008, 05:38 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
OH yea baby titan tows nice..

Well I finally got my trailer ready to bring in for skin repair and last year I had to give up my tundra which I heard would not be a good tow vehicle for my soveriegn anyway . I picked up a used 2004 titan 5.6 9500 pounds towing capc. I would say this truck has PLENTY of power to pull I love the truck good vehicle .

2004 titan se 5.6
Crew cab
pop in electric brake controller
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Holy Cow dont say you are towing a 31 ft with a tundra or a titan. Oh my
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Well, the 2004 Titan with the "big tow" package has a lower-geared rear end, trailer mirrors, transmission temperature gauge, etc. To ensure you have the "BT" package, check your documentation or look for the transmission temp gauge... a good indicator.

The 2004 Titans have had temperature issues on the rear differential and problems with blown axle seals. If you are going to tow, I recommend swapping out the old steel cover (which may show signs of heat and corrosion) with a new cast aluminum cover. The PML aftermarket cover holds 3/4 quart more gear oil and the finned aluminum sheds heat better than the old steel cover. Nissan also recommends changing to a 75-140 synthetic oil. The PML cover has an NPT port for a differential temp gauage... a nice add on.

PML Nissan Differential Cover

I put this cover on my Titan. It's a real improvement.

As for the blown axle seals, there are a couple of workarounds to acheive better venting. I'm a fan of the True-Trac differential. It costs a few bucks, but it's a major improvement for the Dana 44 rear (Titan). I'm going to swap in the True-Trac before I do any serious towing. With the True-Trac in, the rear end is no longer the weak link.

You also may want to look at the rear spring shackles. The PRG shackles are another item I consider a mandatory aftermarket improvement.

PRG Products

I also recommend something like the Roadmaster Active Suspension for the Titan. Oh, and the stock shocks are, as you might imagine, terrible. The Icons are fine for the rears. I like Bilsteins on the front.

Here's the thing, MrC... I'm not going to get into whether or not you should pull a Sovereign (not sure the year or size) with a 2004 Titan. I would need a lot more information before I could even posit an informed opinion. You are right that the Titan has good power and torque. It does, however, have some weak spots like the rear end and in some suspension components. These are my friendly suggestions for upgrade as a current Titan owner.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Just passed 70k miles on my Titan with some 33k of it (over the past three years) towing my 31' Sovereign. Other than having the Service Bulletin done on the brakes, I have had zero mechanical problems.

17mpg solo. 12+/- towing.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
I have the power

My Tradewind is lighter weight than a Sovereign, but I'm totally happy with my Titan's towing performance (2007 LE, 4x4, big tow pkg). I don't get pushed around the highway, can pass effortlessly and quickly, and I towed loaded up a continuous curvy 25% grade on wet pavement last weekend without a problem.

In all fairness, a 70s vintage 30-31 footer is about 3000 lb lighter than recent models. However, Rich Luhr (Airstream Life) was pulling his 30 ft. Bunkhouse all over America with a Nissan Armada (basically a Titan with a slightly shorter wheel base). I've gotten some unexpected reactions to towing an Airstream with a Titan. I've been berated several times, once quite agressively, for towing an American icon with a "piece of Japanese crap". Last weekend another camper in Amicalola Falls State Park insisted I must have used a different vehicle to get my trailer up the mountain on that 25% grade.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
The Titan is manufactured in Canton, Mississippi. It's also won a fair number of awards. In my opinion, the Titan and the Tundra have pushed the "Big Three" into building better 1/2 ton trucks.

When I was in college, I bought a little Toyota pickup. I put a quarter million miles on it and the most serious repair I ever did was to replace a clutch. It's probably still on the road somewhere. When I went truck shopping in '04, I looked at everything on the market in the 1/2 ton truck range. I liked the Nissan the best. The Nissan hasn't been as reliable as I hoped, but I have no major complaints. Nissan covered the front brakes until they were done right. I've blown a rear axle seal due to differential heat and poor venting but that's fixed now.

As for comments, where I'm from it is generally considered impolite for a stranger to comment upon a man's choice in a rifle, a dog or a truck.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Nissan V8

My oldest son use to work at the Nissan engine plant in Decherd, TN. in the computer department. He would oversee the computers which operate the robotic arms in the plant. He said they would have engines on stands running at high rpm and the exhaust headers were red hot.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:41 AM   #8
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Hang on to your Titan. Word is Nissan will cease production of the truck. Sales are hurting big time. Newer vehicles will be a rebadged Chrysler product.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
I've heard the same. I was planning to trade in my 05 Nissan Armada for another one at 100k miles but the Armada will almost surely be discontinued by then. So far we've done 70k miles, almost all of which are towing miles. We've documented our experiences with it, which have been generally good.

As for rude comments about towing with a "Japanese" truck, you could point out that the Armada and Titan are built exclusively in Canton MS, where as some of the "American" trucks are built in Mexico.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71 View Post
My oldest son use to work at the Nissan engine plant in Decherd, TN. in the computer department. He would oversee the computers which operate the robotic arms in the plant. He said they would have engines on stands running at high rpm and the exhaust headers were red hot.
I have heard of these tests too David which includes the Nissan VQ v6 series engine.

We have been using the VQ v6 engines to tow with for over 12 years. They are very strong performers and have never let us down.

This engine series has been on the WARDS 10 best engines list for a record 13 years running. Nissan's VQ Engine Receives Ward's 10-Best Engines Award | Business Wire | Find Articles at BNET

Like no vehicle brand the Nissan's aren't perfect, but they get the job done. Like a previous poster stated, they have helped push the NA auto makers into building a better product.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
When I here MPG rateings it makes me glad I bought my superduty. I get the same when towing. The added stability and Towing capacity for me is a no brainer.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Rock Hill , South Carolina
I have a 2005 Titan I pull my A/S with. I love the truck. It pulls the A/S with little or no real effort. Without pulling, it really is a pretty fun vehicle to drive, especially for a truck! I plan on keeping it until the wheels fall off.
jsprad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Something not well publicised, is if you tow with your Titan for any significant time, you should drain and fill your differential much more frequently, in some cases as short an interval as 15,000 miles.
Also, if the Titan continues, it will be a rebadged Dodge built in Mexico. I have known about this for some time, but have not been able to say anything until I have seen it from other sources.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
All the goodies added..

I bought the truck used from dealer it has all the bells and whisle including the BT set up and new rear end (which I guese was under warrenty) the shocks were replaced with rancho off road shock from what I see . Also if has the K/N cold intake and dual exhaust get a little more power (which means a lot more gas..damn...) but it tows nice no pushing or torgue to be honest I am suprised it being considered a 1/2 ton vehicle. Towed the airstream to nashua stateline super store on the highway at 60 to 65 mph not a problem ..

(1976 -1977 airstream international,sovereign landyaght GVW 7200 lbs according to tag on front )
Old 08-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Wonder if you can go synthetic for titan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Something not well publicised, is if you tow with your Titan for any significant time, you should drain and fill your differential much more frequently, in some cases as short an interval as 15,000 miles.
Also, if the Titan continues, it will be a rebadged Dodge built in Mexico. I have known about this for some time, but have not been able to say anything until I have seen it from other sources.
My Titan is out of warrenty I wonder if you can use a syntheic tranny fluid that might help out with frequent changing and put less ware and tare of it?

Mrcrowley

Old 08-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
The issue with Titan differentials and fluid changes stems from the earlier models without the finned differential covers which aid in cooling. When Nissan changed to the finned covers they also changed to synthetic lube in the diff. which again changes the scenario.

But, if you feel safer by changing the lube every 15K, then by allmeans do so.

As far as the Titan becoming a rebadged Dodge - well I haven't heard that, but I did hear that Nissan and Chrysler were going to work together on a small block V-8 diesel with the help of Cummins. But, who knows, all might change and things might go away quickly in these changing times.

BTW, I love my Titan and the way it tows.
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #17
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
if the Titan continues, it will be a rebadged Dodge built in Mexico.
so...does that mean that its really going to be a Dodge, with the word "Nissan" painted on the side? or will it still really be a Nissan, w/ the word "Dodge" painted on the side?
(BIG difference...)
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
If you have a 2004 Titan and a sympathetic dealer (oxymoron?), you might be able to get a finned aluminum differential cover at no cost. I just liked the PML aftermarket cover because of the increased fluid capacity. Dropping in three quarts of Mobil 1 75-140 synthetic gear oil was not cheap, but neither is swapping in a rear. I'm a firm believer in the high end synthetic lubes.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
This is a hot topic. TowVehicles. I guess it is the same for auto mfg also. No 1 here is going to go out sell there vehicle and buy another. But the debate continues. I look at the differentials on those foreign vehicles and I just cant beleve they dont snap. My 4 wheeler (Polaris)=american. ITs rearend is just about as big. They warn me 1500 lbs max towing. For me I had to rebuild my 10 bolt chevy 3 times in 186000 miles my ford 8.8 in my crown vic not once in over 350000. I donated the car and it is still rolling.
I guess when I see 80000 or even 120000 I am not to impressed. I like to get miles on my vehicles and not worry. I know people that have gone up to 650000 on there ford vans makeing small deliveries (courier). I have seen Toyota go high miles but never towing or haulin. I do like the topic though. I also Like synthetic, Mobil 1 or Castrol
Old 08-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Well remember the old days just a car no nothing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
This is a hot topic. TowVehicles. I guess it is the same for auto mfg also. No 1 here is going to go out sell there vehicle and buy another. But the debate continues. I look at the differentials on those foreign vehicles and I just cant beleve they dont snap. My 4 wheeler (Polaris)=american. ITs rearend is just about as big. They warn me 1500 lbs max towing. For me I had to rebuild my 10 bolt chevy 3 times in 186000 miles my ford 8.8 in my crown vic not once in over 350000. I donated the car and it is still rolling.
I guess when I see 80000 or even 120000 I am not to impressed. I like to get miles on my vehicles and not worry. I know people that have gone up to 650000 on there ford vans makeing small deliveries (courier). I have seen Toyota go high miles but never towing or haulin. I do like the topic though. I also Like synthetic, Mobil 1 or Castrol
I remember when my dad purchased another 31 foot trailer don't remember the name but but we towed it with a 1979 ford Ltd and I dont think it was decked out with transmission coolers and heavy duty diffs just a big motor . I loved that car whata boat...ahh memorys.
Mrcrowley