Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2006, 11:42 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
What's KAN ? I also see reference to CAN (Canadian extensions to OBD-II?). I think some of the scanners will work with OBD-I which is nice if you own any "older" rigs. But the mfgs used different plugs and the stinking cable for each brand can give you sticker shock. For the OBD-I on my '86 Ford I just break out the old analog VOM and count the swings of the needle. Sort of like using the telegraph to work on the stage coach.

With a teenager about to take "driver safety" being able to call up the max speed might be useful

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
1) the "key in ignition" chimes go off for about a minute;
2) the check engine light is always on and flashes intermittently;
3) the brake and the ABS lights are now on continuously.
Now you've done it. Been watching this thread this morning and everyone’s comments are on target. Once you mentioned that you want to look at ABS problems now you need a factory Tech 2. You may have a power supply problem, seperate issues, or a communications fault between the control modules.
OBD II is a government protocol for emissions. No one on the GM side of the shop has ever seen an aftermarket OBD scanner that does ABS or body scans. One place that was recommended for domestic cars is Moates.net
http://www.moates.net/mxscan-standard-p-125.html but I didn't drill through the site to check everything.
The main problem is that while OBD is the lowest common denominator, all the manufactures have their own software, addresses and network standards for everything else that are on the network busses in the cars. Our VWs and Audis have up to 5 networks and over 50 addressable control modules.

This may change in the future as the Feds are going to require stability programs by 2012 so I expect that to be cross compatable.
Rosstech http://www.ross-tech.com/ has cables and software to connect a laptop, like John HD was looking for, to a vehicle and is used by a number of import techs with good results. There may be plugins for domestics but I don't know for sure.
In any event you will be spending some serious cash so be sure you research everything fully.
Good Luck,

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
...when I first turn the truck on, there are multiple warnings:

1) the "key in ignition" chimes go off for about a minute;
2) the check engine light is always on and flashes intermittently;
3) the brake and the ABS lights are now on continuously.
The #2 from above is solved for now. A co-worker hooked his OBD-II scanner into my truck today and there was only one diagnostic code -- P0300: cylinder misfire. To make a long story short, I had no symptoms of cylinder misfiring (i.e., engine stumbling or hesitating) so a recommended first step is to simply reset the code and see if it comes back. We reset the code at noon time and I have driven 50 miles (city & hiway) since and the light hasn't come back on. If that doesn't work, then comes the fun of working thru the checklist of ignition system items (i.e., spark plugs, wires, coil pack, etc.). I'm happy though as we have a place to start testing.

But, I'm getting off my own topic now.

Does anyone else out there have any OBD-II recommendations / reviews to share?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Not entirely off topic as this points out the advantage of having a scanner that can record information while driving. Besides something being wrong with the car a bad tank of gas would also result in a misfire. Rather strange that the light didn't reset itself? Some, prehaps all OBD-II systems record the time of the occurance. For codes like this it would be worth a few extra $$$ to have a scanner that coughs up that information.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:48 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden
...Besides something being wrong with the car a bad tank of gas would also result in a misfire. Rather strange that the light didn't reset itself? ...
Actually, I should have mentioned that I remember what I was doing when the engine light came on. The incident happened one week after the "$100 fuel cap diagnosis" incident which I mentioned in my first post. I accidently put the truck in neutral, instead of drive, and stomped on the gas. The check engine light came on immediately after that. So I'm thinking the over revving of the engine must have turned on the light. I'm surprised it didn't reset itself if that was the cause.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:03 PM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Actually, I should have mentioned that I remember what I was doing when the engine light came on. The incident happened one week after the "$100 fuel cap diagnosis" incident which I mentioned in my first post. I accidently put the truck in neutral, instead of drive, and stomped on the gas. The check engine light came on immediately after that. So I'm thinking the over revving of the engine must have turned on the light. I'm surprised it didn't reset itself if that was the cause.
Sounds like a P0219--Engine overspeed. If you have a Ford it would say RPM limit exceeded.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:29 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
A po300 does indeed mean there was a misfire ,many minor misfires are detected and codes stored ,a flashing MIL light is cause for concern .Tom is
correct on ABS / body diagnostics ,one scantool cannot do it all .I could use really 2 dealer level scantools along with my Genesys for sure .The MIL lite
usually does not reset until multiple drive cycles and the PCM does not see
the condition and decides all is well and turns off the light on its own ,but
usually its a trip to the dealer or a reputable shop for diagnosis ,and clearing the code.My Genesys does do some GM ABS as Ive been able to do diagnostics on some GM vehicals with good results ,but not all .All OBD II
vehicals I service have the same plug ,one cable needed for regular engine
powertrain diagnostics ,before 96 manafacturers do have different diagnostic
connectors requiring different cables .Any way its good to be able to do some
diagnostics on your vehical .Vertronics makes good scan tools .If you want to get in to good diagnostics ,invest some money into a good unit .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:39 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
What a great topic! I have read this with interest because our check engine light also comes on periodically. We do not know the code but we have checked the gas cap and that seems to correct the issue. The problem mostly comes with towing and changes in altitude.
The light does not flash so I feel some comfort in that. But this thread has taught me that I can read the codes and use the OBD2 info for for my own benefit. So I ordered the ElmScan ISO Scan Tool from ScanTool.net and downloaded some open source software for the Palm and will use this for my code reader. It also shows some realtime data and can do some charting but mostly it reads the code and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

The software for the palm (and some windows stuff as well) was from SanTool.net's web siet and the one I will be using is http://www.qcontinuum.org/obdgauge/.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
With regards to your comment about "letting it go for awhile"...I'm not sure I would do that. Even if the truck is still running well, you still don't know what is happening under the hood so you could be further exacerbating the problem by letting it go.

Hi, I say that because like I said, "if it is still running well" Let it go for a while. First, if it is not running well, you have a problem. But, if it's on for the gas cap and Ford says drive it for three normal drive cycles and it will reset itself, Don't panic! My wife's 1995 Thunderbird has had the check engine light come on and off several times for the past two or three years. I took it to work [I work at a Ford dealer] for normal service and while in the shop I had one of my techs check it out and it was determined to be one of four Oxygen sensors. It obviously is only slightly out of range and has not effected anything to date. Shame on me! Working at a Ford dealer, I should fix it. But my wife plans on just giving the car away maybe next year, so we don't care.
O.K. now if you can't tell if your car is running right; or if you drive for extended periods with a definate miss fire, you could destroy your catalitic converters. Your car, your choice.
Some transmission repair shops advertise "If your check engine light is on, we will check it for free." [Aamco] Why, because some times that engine light is on for a transmission / code / problem.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:58 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
What a great topic! I have read this with interest because our check engine light also comes on periodically...
I too am very excited about this thread. I feel like I'm getting a new education! I've learned quite a bit about this technology in the last few days between this thread, Internet research, talking with friends, and real-live testing on my own vehicle.

The excitement is still building...I just ordered the factory service manual from my dealership!

...and research still continues for the OBD-II scanner...

Old 10-13-2006, 02:35 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
I'm starting to get real excited now...my dealership called me today to let me know my factory service manual has arrived for me to pick up. I stopped by the dealership to pick up the manual and discovered it is five volumes. I'm laughing at the differences in vehicles and their manuals between my 1990 Mazda Miata factory service manual about 2" thick vs. the 2003 GMC Sierra factory service manual which is five volumes -- each volume is about 4" thick!!!

I also have done some more research on after market ABS scanners and have found one for about $500. Any opinions on this product?

ABS READER
One of the newest testers is OTC's ABS Reader. This hand-held tester includes "GM-approved" software for full bi-directional control on 1991-94 Delco VI and 1988-91 Powermaster III ABS systems. The tool can also be used to troubleshoot Bosch, Teves, Kelsey-Hayes and Mazda MECS ABS systems.
The ABS Reader has an easy-to-read four line, 19-characters per line LCD display, with nine input buttons. The display shows diagnostic codes with descriptions along with live data stream information on ABS sensors and switches, plus record and playback of data stream. It also allows bi-directional inputs for the Delco ABS systems which provides the following:
  • Powermaster III; manual control, hydraulic control, Powermaster bleed, pump run tests (run cycle time, total time, leak down, cycles without brake), system identification, data stream and fault codes.
  • Delco VI; manual control, hydraulic control, electromagnetic brake (EMB), motor test, gear tension relief, relay test, voltage load test, lamp test, system identification, motor rehome, data stream and fault codes.
  • Mazda MECS; wiggle test plus fault codes.
  • Bosch & Teves; data stream and fault codes.
  • Kelsey-Hayes; fault codes only.
On the Delco VI system, the manual control test checks each of the three motors to determine if they are operating properly. The EMB test and motor test can help you find problems with the motor pack. The gear tension relief test can find a defective hydraulic modulator. The relay test checks to see that the relay is supplying power to the ABS system. The motor rehome test opens up the ABS circuits so the modulator can be bled. The hydraulic control test lets you check the operation of all three ABS channels (left front, right front & rear) to detect problems. The voltage load test checks system voltage to verify that it is within specifications. The lamp test checks the lamp circuit and driver module. The system identification test provides information on the ABS control module, eliminating the need to check part numbers visually.
The OTC ABS Reader retails for $449 (tool and manual only P/N #3758), or $599 with adapter cables & carrying case (P/N #3757). For further information, contact your OTC distributor or call
1-800-533-6127.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:28 PM   #32
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
O.K. now if you can't tell if your car is running right; or if you drive for extended periods with a definate miss fire, you could destroy your catalitic converters. Your car, your choice.
Some transmission repair shops advertise "If your check engine light is on, we will check it for free." [Aamco] Why, because some times that engine light is on for a transmission / code / problem.

Bob
If the engine is actively misfiring, the MIL (check engine light) will start to flash. If you read your owner's manual, it says to stop driving the vehicle if the light flashes, as it can damage the converters.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:31 PM   #33
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If your ABS light comes on, it is a different thing from the MIL. Some high dollar scanners will scan engine, transmission, body (yes, there is a computer to run your power windows now), and ABS.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:53 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
hello yukionna, Are you planning to do ABS work alot? The ABS doesn't have
alot of troubles at all ,BUT the black module above the brake unit under the drivers side door ,mounted to the frame does go out ,causes the relay to continually run the abs pump .It mounts to the top of the unit with all the brake lines going to it ,and you can replace it on the vehical with the right
tools .I think you would be better to get a powertrain /trans scantool
with some ABS capability as you will have more happening there ,
evaporative emissions codes ,misfire ,throttle sensor ,gas pedal position
and O-2 sensor readings and cross count info ,much i have posted before.
I do very little ABS ,sometimes the GM module on tahoes and suburbans
2000 and up ,but thats it .Majority of all diagnostic jobs coming in have
the MIL light on /service engine /check lite .So much you can do in the
powertrain department /trans etc,rather than ABS .I do automotive repair
and use the genesys almost daily for powertrain diagnostics .I use it even if
the check/MIL light is off ,for IM readiness (for smog test) and tuneups ,
catalyst efficiency checks ,O-2 sensor readings and fuel trim readings for
checking vacuum leaks /lean conditions .Any modifications you may make
like a chip install ,you can compare information ,before and after and see the
fuel data ,timing data and such needs work .Case of a customer going to the
dealer for a 5.3 poor cold idle (no MIL on or flashes ) they concluded a bad
MAF (mass air flow meter ) or vacuum leak or both ?? I ran the data scan :
grams of airflow was right on ,5 to 7 at idle tested cold and warm .Did a fuel
trim test with the scan tool ,while spraying WD-40 around the plenium then
throttle body cleaner ,fuel trim did not change at all ,hence no leak found .
found a dirty ,as in black fuel, filter and lots in the tank and injectors .The
dealer was incorrect ,and I could just run the scan tests to prove it and
solve the real problem ,so thats somthing you can do with the right scan tool.
Somthing to consider on your scan tool purchase .

Scott
Old 10-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
If the engine is actively misfiring, the MIL (check engine light) will start to flash. If you read your owner's manual, it says to stop driving the vehicle if the light flashes, as it can damage the converters.
Hi, Are you talking about G.M. here? Because I road test Fords all the time with plug or coil miss fire and no engine light comes on unless they are really bad. Then the engine light comes on and stays on steady. [Not flashing] Older Fords used to pop the light on practically on a single miss fire. [Too sensitive] Ford changed that.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:40 PM   #36
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, Are you talking about G.M. here? Because I road test Fords all the time with plug or coil miss fire and no engine light comes on unless they are really bad. Then the engine light comes on and stays on steady. [Not flashing] Older Fords used to pop the light on practically on a single miss fire. [Too sensitive] Ford changed that.

Bob
All OBDII vehicles are supposed to do this, in theory. But we know about theories... Ford's misfire monitor now just shows "misfire", and you have to guess which one, unless you have an advanced scanner, and can pull up misfire counters. GM's misfire is just a P0300, and maybe you can find the misfire in a freeze frame, and maybe not. All other manufacturers use P0300 as a random/multiple cylinder misfire code. Other manufacturers show P0301 as cylinder #1 misfire, P0302 as cylinder #2, etc.
I like the C.O.P. tester that has come out in recent years, you can just rest the paddle of it on top of the coil, and youwill know immediately if the cylinder is firing or not.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:07 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
All GM vehicals OBD II have cylinder misfires counts and will store a code for the cylinder as well ,If the misfire is small ,it will store a PO300 and you still
can go to the data stream and check for misfire counts Cyls 1-8 or whichever
size engine you have ,so as to still see which cylinders are having a problem ,
in addition you still can have individual stored codes in the engine data misfire
on your scantool if it has the capability and data .Chrysler /jeep turns on
the MIL in any misfire also ,fords are funny that way and you can run a code check and find a PO302 stored ,their not as worried about the CAT as much
as GM is .Remember ,its that unburned fuel that overheats the CAT and kills it
You can pull a cylinder specific misfire on any Ford OBD-II vehical if your
scantool has the capability to do it .Many scanners cannot do what a high
end technician level scantool can ,try going into mode 6 on the scantool ,
that gets you even deeper into very accurrate diagnostics using dealer level
information ,its much more complicated ,but information is your friend. How about a cyl 3 injector intermittant on a 5.2 grand cherokee ? or a ignition
reference signal on a no start ,same vehical ,the cam sensor that sits in
the distributor fails ,all seen by the scantool without opening the hood .
Really ,really cool stuff here you can do with OBD-II and more ,and on those
5.4 and v-10 fords ,change those coil on plug units as they do corrode and
the coil saturation time can be erratic causing poor performance and misfires
but now were talking about hooking up the labscope looking at current ramping waveforms ,whew

Scott
Old 10-14-2006, 12:52 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
$'s or DOLLARS!

Hello all -

Reading this thread with interest.....

Have a '01 2500HD 'Burb. Went out of town for a few weeks some months back while we had torential rains for nearly my whole absense.... Truck sat as opposed to the near constant use otherwise...

Wife got in the beast to come and get me at the airport.... Started but ran like cr*p.... smoke.... stumbling....died. Restarted.... smoke.... stumbled.... drove 8 feet in reverse....died.... Check Engine Light. She had a panic situation!

She called the tow as she was terrified that "it was dead" or that driving it "would kill it".... It is 'my' car after all, and THE TV when SilverToy is in use.

Upon my return, yet that night, I went to the local fix-em-up where it was towed (outside storage) and checked under the hood. Rodent tracks. Started the truck - ran like cr*p but only at idle....

Drove it home. Did let the shop know in the AM so they didn't wonder???

Drove about 80+ miles the next day where it ran fine, except at idle. While in town I went to AutoZone where they did a free OBD-II scan which showed 5 codes.... all top of the engine (rodent tracks area) and the truck ran fine at everything above idle. Went to the local Chevy place that gave me the "$100 minimum scan fee..." spiel.... Right!!!!!!!! I showed 'em the codes and they looked at me like I was martian! "$100 to even look at the codes you got" and BTW, "where did you get those codes???" See ya!

Autozone scaned again (same 5 codes) and even reset the codes when I bought the top end sensors.... Did the reset again after I installed the sensors and needed an accurate check on my work. All good!

Bottom line for me. These OBD's will kill the motor before they let it kill itself.... not like the old 302's, 351's, and 289's!!!! Can't speak to the downstream cats and the like, but the codes are really just, as others have mentioned, an indicator for areas to investigate.

For me, I put a few hours of investigation and about $60 bucks into new sensors.... found a chewed wire - repaired that. Added the new sensor and the TV is back to good as new.

Beats that "$100 dollars...." to start to look at it. Can't think what a dealer repair would have cost!!!!!!!

BTW - The tow (less than 1 mile!!!!!!!!!!! ALL DOWNHILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - $75 DOLLARS!!!!!!!) cost more than the sensors and parts. Burns me just to think about it.... even now.

Anyway, just a thought for the frugal out there. Get a Haynes manual (or the like) and READ IT!!!!! Lot's of good and $ saving info in there! Even a 'normal' person can, if not fix everything themselves, at least be a well informed consumer when it comes to handing your vehicle over to someone else. Knowledge it power!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Hello all -
...Went to the local Chevy place that gave me the "$100 minimum scan fee..." spiel.... Right!!!!!!!! I showed 'em the codes and they looked at me like I was martian! "$100 to even look at the codes you got" and BTW, "where did you get those codes???"
Good story! Same thing happened to me yesterday when I went to my GMC dealer to pick up my factory service manuals. I mentioned the P0300 code for the cylinder misfire and the service manager looked at me in horror and mumbled something about how did I get that code. Apparently he wasn't aware of the AutoZone freebie nor that aftermarket OBD-II scanners are available every where nor that there is a website which decodes the codes and offers up advice on what to look for.

I was up front with him and reminded him how he charged me $100 a few months ago to tell me my gas cap wasn't on securely and that moving forward we would be doing our own work, thank-you. It was a polite conversation and he even offered us some tips of what to look for to diagnose the ABS issue.

It also helps too that my hubby is an ex-GM mechanic with a SnapOn tool box full of tools that reaches to the ceiling!

Old 10-14-2006, 12:47 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
OK, hubby pulled the brakes apart today and look what we found (see picture below)! The top half of the photo shows the rotor with just a small strip in the center where the brake pad touches it (the shiny part) -- the other parts where the brake pad should also touch are all caked with layers of rust. In the bottom half of the photo is the actual brake shoe which has a raised center piece which is the part of the shoe which is touching the rotor. The top and bottom part of the shoe doesn't touch the rotor anymore. This probably has something to do with our ABS issue!

I wonder what caused this to happen!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rotor.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	26979