Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2003, 12:38 AM   #1

Novice tow vehicle question

My wife and I are very interested in buying a new Airstream...possibly the 22' International. It came about because we felt we needed another room for our house and thought it would be a great way to "add-on" without the expense of construction! However, the other advantage is the ability to hitch it up and take off for the weekend (or more!) Being complete novices, and only having a Honda CR-V (way too weak to pull anything beyond a jetski!) we wanted to know if it's possible to rent a truck capable of towing the AS when we want to get away? Do places like Hertz or Avis rent trucks with tow hitches? Or do we have to go to U-Haul? Or do we need to bite the bullet and purchase a new car/truck?
Any help would be most appreciated! We are already obsessed with AS!!!!
Burbank3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 03:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
I'm certain you COULD rent a truck with enough HP/capacity to pull your trailer; the question is WOULD you really want to do that? Don't forget about the mileage expense associated with renting vehicles. My suggestion would be to call Hertz or U-Haul and ask them.
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 04:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I doubt you could rent a truck or SUV to do that. They proably won't have a hitch. If they have a hitch they will not be wired for towing. You would have to install a brake controler everything you wanted to go somewhere.

You also need to see what the rules are where you live about using a RV the way you want to. HOA, and some cities/townships are very tough on parking/storing RV's on your property. It may require the RV be behid the front of the house with a privacy fence around it.

There are a few SUV's that get reasonable mpg that you might trade up to. Most here will tell you bigger is better when pulling a large RV. A Tahoe will get 18 hwy no problem. The Trailblazer might also work and they get around 20hwy.

You might also concider a different route. A used Motor home in the 28ft range. Then tow the CRV. You could pick up a 80's classic in good condition for less then a New 22' international. Upkeep is a little more but you would save that in sticking with the Honda as your DD.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 10:42 AM   #4
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
I concur with Toaster...

Last time I checked with a rental place, they wouldn't let you tow with their vehicles unless the trailer was theirs too, and THEY hitched it up.

Remember though, that you can get a used van or pickup very reasonably in good condition if you do your homework and shop hard. You don't have to spend a fortune for an occasional-use tow vehicle. A high-mileage truck or van that has been well maintained and is in good condition may be just the ticket for towing for the occasional nearby weekend getaway. You'd be amazed at what's out there for under $10k in this world of new $30-$50k trucks and SUVs.

Full-size vans are probably the best buy as they can be found in like-new condition for very little money.

Good luck!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 10:43 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

for the record...

2003 Tahoe gets about 13- 14 mpg on hwy on flat ground.
About 10 mpg if you're luckey on hilly terrain. This is with a 17'
trailer. We just completed a 3000 mile trip and did these calculations. With no trailer-14 in the city and why would I go on the highway without my trailer?

Heidi
'67 Caravel/2003 Tahoe
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 12:21 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

rental trucks

I can verify that in the Tampa area, I could not find a rental company that would let me tow a covered equipment trailer, I'm sure this would be true of a travel trailer also. Some said what they didn't know wouldn't hurt them when I asked why there was a receiver on the rental truck.

Prob here is it would come to light in an accident and where are you then? I opted to get a MH as I didn't want a heavy duty daily driver, but obviously each to their own....LOL..jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote