Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2002, 08:12 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
Question Nissan Xterra

I did a search and didn't find any info on one as a tow vehicle so I am throwing it open to ideas. We have one already....and are using it.

It is rated to tow 5000 pounds and equipped by the factory with the towing package and we got the reese hitch for our '67 22' safari....weight approx 3200 pounds[we don't have the dinette model] per call to Airstream.

We are ripping it up and are restying it and hopefully making it lighter...at least not heavier...removing the furnace, porcelain head[getting plastic] and one closet and using vinyl as opposed to wood floor [as would be nice in today's decor].

I know I can't use wood as light as they used on the original to build with...it's actually corrugated cardboard inside! We are using a lot of 1/4" plywood, inside panel, framed cabinets.

It will only be equipped for 2....no dogs or tv's even....maybe we will just eat dry cereal and granola bars!!! I hope we aren't too far off base! Any other "lightening up" ideas would be appreciated.

We might end up liking the trailer more than the car and getting a bigger suv!!! I hope so... but the Mr seems to think this car's engine and transmission are OK[its automatic].

Can anyone support him in that idea?
Old 08-22-2002, 08:46 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
lightweight

Why are you removing the furnace?

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 10:32 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
It came to us in pieces and we didn't want to put it all back together again and we just figured we'd get an A/C with a heat strip or wear long underwear.

It doesn't get that cold here and we don't expect to go that far away while having this trailer. We want to use it while we look for a sailboat to retire on and live in it while we prepare the boat to live aboard and that will be in warm climates. We plan to do this in 3 years and at this rate the A/S will be ready then!!!

Actually we hope to have a little fun with it in the mean time. I always wanted a RV but my husband thought they were not for him until he saw a friend's Airstream and it brought out the pilot and sailor in him and he felt right at home.

You don't suppose there is a market for something like this is there?
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2002, 05:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Furnace

Hello Folks
We too have a furnace in our 23 1973 Safari that dosen't work and we were thinking of removing it as well. Can you tell us what approximately the weight is of your furnace so we would know how much weight it would save? We also have a Nissan but it is a Quest with the factory trailer package. We are very happy with the ride / combination. We are very impressed with the vans cooling system in that the temperature guage has never gone past its normal setting even when traveling in 32 Degree Centigrade weather, going up a steep grade, and with both front and rear air on. Thnxs in advance....
Old 08-22-2002, 08:15 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
I think I read your post elsewhere and send it to my husband because the your size is simular to the Xterra base. Glad to hear you have such good results with it.

I don't think the furnace weighs more than 30-40 pounds..just asking the lifter his opinion.

I hope to get more feedback on the SUV as a tow vehicle rather than talk about the furnace. It's sure a nice little truck...more truck than car!!! A little tall for someone 5' tall to hop into tho!!!
Old 08-22-2002, 08:41 PM   #6
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
More technical details needed

Please try and find all the technical details about your Xterra. The wheel base, gross vehilce weight, etc. That can help others give you a better opinion on the tow vehicle.

Andy
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 09:51 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
specs

automatic, 6 cylinder, 199.84 displacement
wheelbase...104.3
curb wt...4130
Torque 200 lb.-ft. @ 2800 rpm
Engine 3.3-liter 170 HP
trailer load...5000 #
tongue max...500#

I just started writing down stuff..
Old 08-23-2002, 10:21 AM   #8

"weight approx 3200 pounds"
"trailer load...5000 #"

Well, it looks like your tow rig can, and is able to tow the trailer. How well it will do on long trips, fuly loaded ect is another thing.

Just from seeing Xttera's on the road they are not my idea of a perfect tow vehicle. -BUT- all things in moderation. If you take the Xttera as a light tow vehicle and are carfule then I see no real problem.

Towing a lightend trailer, with a reasonable load and the right hitch set up your more than likely ok.

Don't load the trailer down with everything under the sun, then load the truck down with you and Hubby, two friends, weekend camp gear, a dogy and that box of sail boat parts, run up hill with the AC going....

Given the 75% rule (wich is realy a good guide line), your at 4267 lb unloaded. Add anything you put into the trailer (water, towels, forks, Tp, water), and anything that gets loaded into the Xttera, and your at your limit.

Just use common sence, take it realy easy on down grades, don't do 85 ect...
Old 08-23-2002, 10:52 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
relief

Actually that's just what I wanted to hear...we are and will be careful. We are being considerate of weight with every renovation we are doing. We really wanted a bit smaller unit but this was a good buy and I think we can make it work with compromises.

I appreciate your input....and we don't expect to roam the Rockies...just the east coast...
Old 08-23-2002, 11:05 AM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Some additional food for thought:

One weight component that no one talks much of is the GCVWR, or gross combined vehicle weight rating. Each vehicle manufacturer rates their vehicles on a combined weight limit. This is the weight of your tow vehicle plus the weight of your trailer. These two figures added together should not exceed the GCVWR.

Many people forget that the tow vehicle will be full of fuel, passenger weight, and other stuff stowed. It isn't unfeasable that you could exceed your GCVWR for the tow vehicle, yet not be exceeding the tow weight limit based on the weight of the trailer.

Only way you find out this factor is by weighing the tow vehicle and trailer, either together hitched up or separately.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 11:27 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
weigh station

Our home is located at an exit off the interstate just one exit from a weigh station and that item is on our list!!! But thanks and some others may need reminding!!!

In a few years when we plan to drive a whole lot with this thing looking for just the right blue water vessel, we do plan to get a much larger unit...I feel better about that plan. I just want to use this Xterra carefully to camp in maybe 6-8 times a year for 3 years close to home on weekends...say 2-3 hours away to the beach. We do still like the Bed and Breakfast life too!

Apparently it's not as far-fetched as some tow ideas I've read!!!

I wish I could see your brand new Safari...I would be jealous!!! I'll bet it's beautiful!!! We had to quit looking at the new ones...our money is in the boat fund!!!
Old 08-23-2002, 11:38 AM   #12
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Good advice!

Jack just mentioned something I should be more aware of, for sure. I tow my Tradewind with a big 1 ton van, which has plenty of reserve tow rating for the trailer, but I never thought of the combined weight rating. We bring EVERYTHING when we go to Baja, including the Zodiac inflatable with motor, 2 big ice chests, an ocean kayak, tools, clothes, gear, water, etc. Next time I will take a little extra time and go to the truck scale before embarking on a long trip again. It is hard to judge without going and actually weighing things. The van barely sinks in the springs, and I don't notice much, but loss of acceleration with increasing weight. So yeah, we have a recycling center not far from here, they have scales for the big trucks. They don't charge much to weigh a rig. Thanks, Jack for reminding us!
Old 08-23-2002, 12:05 PM   #13
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Uwe,

You may want to try the truck scales if only for this reason. You want to get not only the total GCVWR but also get the indivudial weights at the following locations.

Van without trailer packed as for a trip:

1. Front axle weight

2 rear axle weigh.

Trailer:

1. Tounge weight only

2. Axle weight of the trailer as packed for a trip.

And lastly the indivudial axel weights on the tow vehicle and trailer hooked together.

The reasons for all of these measurements is to be sure that you have not overloaded any one axle, and that the tounge weight of the trailer is correct for the trailer weight. Redistribution of "stuff" may help to get you inside of all of the associated weight ratings as well as making for a safer and smoother ride.

If you have a owners manual for your model it may have this info in it as to the percentages of trailer weight that should be on the tounge. I know there is a maximum of 700-800 LBS but it is still a percentage.

The goal I always strove for was safety and ride comfort. IN THAT ORDER. I belive in taking it all if you can but this would allow you to take it all safely and with peace of mind.

BTW the truck scales if they are slow will quite often only charge you one time for all of the indivudial passes over the scale.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 12:35 PM   #14
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Truck scales

We have a nearby truck stop with the computerized scales that gives the weight for each axle set separately (tandems are weighed as one axle). They charge a higher amount for the first pass over the scales and a trivial amount (like $1.00) for successive passes on the same visit.

I weigh truck and trailer with the equalizing bars hooked up; then tryuck and trailer with the equalizing bars loose; then I unhitch and weigh the truck alone.

This series of weighings tells me all I need to know about the rig including whether my equalizing setup is right.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 01:04 PM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One other alternative is A'Weigh-We-Go. You can check out their web site to see if they will be somewhere in your area. I did mine at a SOB dealer last spring. They weigh each wheel of your tow vehicle and trailer individually. I've got a neat print out with lots of info. I made sure the Safari was packed for travel and my van had a full tank with all my normal camping stuff. It was interesting to find that the Safari has a light side (curb side). I assume that was done to accomodate the two large closets on that side.

This is especially important to do if you own a motor home. The person doing the weigh in told me that he found his left front axle on his brand new SOB motor home unloaded, with him in the drivers seat was 800 lbs. over the maximum capacity of the tire. The factory quickly gave him new higher rated tires on all sides.

http://www.rvsafety.org/scales.htm
Check out the seminar schedules.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 07:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Nissan Xterra

Hello Lexxy

Here is some info for you that may help.

The Load Capacity for your vehicle is 885 Lbs. The hitch weight will be least 500 lbs, two occupants another 300 lbs . With just that and no other items you have almost reached your maximum safe load capacity of your vehicle. Your vehicle also has a high centre of gravity and has a very narrow track ( width).

In contrast have a look at some other vehicles MSLC ( maximum safe load capacity ) ratings.

Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD (V8)--------1,150 lbs
Nissan Pathfinder LE V6-----------------1,030 lbs
Ford Villager / Nissan Quest V6-------1,450 lbs
Chev Tahoe LT----------------------------1,395 lbs
Ford Windstar V6-------------------------1,360 lbs
Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 V8----------------1,350 lbs
Ford Excursion XLT V8-------------------1,630 lbs

There are many factors that determine a safe ride and the MSLC is just one of them.

Hope this helps and have a safe ride.

Note**** Load Capacity info was obtained from the April 2002 Annual Auto issue of Consumers Mag. page 28 /29
Old 10-02-2002, 10:24 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

nissan truck as tow vehicle

I have a 1997 nissan 4x4 xtra cab with a 4 cylinder engine.

I may try to tow my 25' 1969 Tradewind with it. the trailer is still a few months away from the road, and by then i will have figured out how silly an idea that is, but for now its the plan.

i have only had my A/S for 3 days and already i would rather trade in my truck than think about parting with my tradewind for a smaller rig. you've gotta love the power of those heavenly silver bullets

just ran a search for the specs for my truck--it ain't looking good for the Nissan: in 1997 the max tow was 3500 lbs. I would very much appreciate it if someone would try to talk me out of towing the Tradewind with the nissan anyway.
Dave Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 06:36 AM   #18
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Thumbs down Dave Cole

See my answer to you on another thread re towing a 3240# loaded Scamp 5th-wheel with a Nissan pickup rated to tow 3500#. Also, my Nissan was a V-6 and it still was screaming on every little rise in the road. A 4cyl Nissan doesn't have a prayer of being a capable tow vehicle.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote