Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2020, 07:33 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
Glad you tried it. Yes, you do have to get past the styling a little bit. BUT, it does drive really nice and has plenty of power, tow capacity and payload capacity. Congrats! If you see an NV3500 SL that you want go ahead and get it. My friend wanted a white one. He found one that is the optional Frost White Metallic and immediately bought it. Loves it!!!! He removed the back two rows of seats and now has mega room to haul everything. He put moving blankets (my suggestion) over the carpet to keep it nice.

You will need a Brake Controller. He installed (Plug and Play) a Tekonsha Prodigy 2. Took maybe 15 minutes to install. You do need the adaptor cord that goes from controller to prewired plug under dash. Both available online for less than $150.00. Wish you luck now on getting your Airstream.
Thanks for the additional info. Will check out the brake controller. WE have a bit of time to look as we head into winter. Will keep everyone update though.

Steve
914Next is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:31 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Jamul , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 914Next View Post
Quick Update.

My wife and I had the chance to test drive a 2020 NV3500 this past week. My wife was determined to hate it (after all it is not the most beautiful piece of machinery) and even I was hesitant when we got to the dealer. I will say, however, that we both left feeling like the NV is definitely for us. Loved the way it handled. Plenty of power, smooth riding, all the necessary accessories without going over the top like some of the pickups we were seeing today. AND....its a very affordable new vehicle. It will serve our purposes very well for more payload and ability to store our bikes inside when when we travel.

We will purchase an NV 3500 over the next few months and of course report back. First we need to purchase a Globetrotter 27. Anyone have a 2018-2019 they want to sell

Steve

I have about 95k on my NV2500 now. My only complaint is the gas mileage. However, the towing mileage was actually better than my previous vehicle. I've driven it across country and through all types of weather -including snow and ice without chains. It has been great. And it has been great for my dogs and bikes. Good luck to you!
mcgintyrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:38 AM   #23
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Warner Robins , Georgia
Something to consider on this van - Nissan will no longer manufacture them per this online article dated 3NOV20:https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...-discontinued/

If this article is accurate, the NV3500 will end its run like their Nissan Titan XD Cummins diesel, which failed to find a profitable footprint in the U.S. and was discontinued.

End of life products may result in a variety of problems in the future, particularly if you keep the van over 5+ years.

This is probably discouraging news, but worth your consideration, and perhaps encourage you to pick one up sooner rather than later if you find one in the color you are looking for? When we looked at these vans predominant exterior paint was white.
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:47 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
If this is true that this model is being discontinued, then I would grab one before they are all gone. You will get many many years of enjoyment from one. Top shelf quality and don't forget the 5 year/100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty!
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 02:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
NV production ending

Quote:
Originally Posted by superChop View Post
Something to consider on this van - Nissan will no longer manufacture them per this online article dated 3NOV20:https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...-discontinued/

If this article is accurate, the NV3500 will end its run like their Nissan Titan XD Cummins diesel, which failed to find a profitable footprint in the U.S. and was discontinued.

End of life products may result in a variety of problems in the future, particularly if you keep the van over 5+ years.

This is probably discouraging news, but worth your consideration, and perhaps encourage you to pick one up sooner rather than later if you find one in the color you are looking for? When we looked at these vans predominant exterior paint was white.
NV vans will be manufactured until July 2021. These are based on the Titan platform of which there are a bunch of them in commercial applications. With the 5 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty I would not be concerned. The Titan trucks have an extremely loyal following as they are tough as nails and take the abuse.

True, Nissan never has cracked into the high volume truck and van market. There market share for the vans was around 8%. The Titan trucks were not as up to date with techy gadgets as the other high volume pickup truck makers. That is a plus in my book. I do not want BLIS, Adaptive Cruise Control, Cylinder deactivation, Start/Stop Tech and a bunch of other crap that can render a vehicle worthless when the electronics goes south in 5 or so years. K.I.S.S.

My current TV is a 2013 Ford E150 XLT Premium Van. It has as much Tech as I need. The great thing is it has a GVW of 8600 LBS, 2500 LB payload and it tows our 2019 AS FC25 RBT just fine. However, if anything happens to it, I will replace it with a Nissan NV3500 SL van.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I may just do it. Test drove one today and I am impressed. Want silver though and they only have white in stock.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:43 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
I've seen the silver ones and they look like they would be a great match, colorwise. May be worth holding out for. We went with the white (well, it matches the trailer's roof!) and have been very happy with the results so far.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:51 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Curtis Wright
San Marcos , Texas
Send a message via AIM to kevinkatz
4WD for Nissan NV3500

I was looking at these vans and asked about 4WD. The dealer just south of Salt Lake City takes the 4WD from Titans and adds them to this van. They charge $13500 to do that but I was impressed and there are no other 4WD vans on the market besides the Mercedes Sprinter, which doesnt have near the towing capacity.
kevinkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Well I bought the white one. There were 4 total left in the SE United States, 2 black 2 white. Hm, black van in Florida? NO. I could have waited for a 2021 and probably spent $5000 more. So I allocated that money to having someone else wash it! The rear barn doors went a long way toward making the sale. It will be very easy to remove and store all the hitch parts and pieces in the back of the van. Adding a hitch step to the class 4 hitch should also make access from the rear super simple. The curbside door is massive too.
I did get the family version, and will definitely remove the rear seat and possibly the third row seat too. Plenty of room for big toolboxes, generator and even room for an inflatable mattress if I want to take a day trip or two while leaving Eddie at a base camp. The ride is super comfortable and most of the driver controls are in similar locations to the GMC. Traded in the truck (beat to sheet) for only a few bucks less than I bought it for! Pleasantly shocked. I do have to add running boards, but already found ones with a 2 inch deeper drop. The van does have a helper handle on the driver's side and the door is a bit smaller and opens a bit less... didn't feel like I would fall out reaching to close it. There are big deep pockets in the door for my folding stool. Big improvement from the truck. Lots of subtle ergonomic improvements vs. Most American trucks... Japanese are rarely 6'6" and that translates nicely for a vertically challenged female.
Gotta go and unload the GMC. Picking up the new van Monday. Needs a name NV3500 isn't a winner. Suggestions?
Old 11-28-2020, 11:08 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Funny thing. Left the dealer late... paperwork! And as I came to a stoplight a high roof silver NV pulled up to my left. I honked, rolled down window and laughingly said, "this is weird, I just bought one!" He responded, "well I wish I had what you have" and I responded, "Pull in at Maus Nissan Monday after noon and grab it!" And suggested a number that a same day turnaround might make possible.
The light turned green and as he drove off I realized he had the 2500 with the V6... cargo version. That eased my momentary angst as to why he wanted the mighty diesel.

And I just filled the DEF tank. Oof. Needed diesel badly, but remembered to stop at about 8 gallons... dur, almost did the habitual fill it up.

Paula
Old 11-28-2020, 04:17 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Running Boards for NV3500SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Well I bought the white one. There were 4 total left in the SE United States, 2 black 2 white. Hm, black van in Florida? NO. I could have waited for a 2021 and probably spent $5000 more. So I allocated that money to having someone else wash it! The rear barn doors went a long way toward making the sale. It will be very easy to remove and store all the hitch parts and pieces in the back of the van. Adding a hitch step to the class 4 hitch should also make access from the rear super simple. The curbside door is massive too.
I did get the family version, and will definitely remove the rear seat and possibly the third row seat too. Plenty of room for big toolboxes, generator and even room for an inflatable mattress if I want to take a day trip or two while leaving Eddie at a base camp. The ride is super comfortable and most of the driver controls are in similar locations to the GMC. Traded in the truck (beat to sheet) for only a few bucks less than I bought it for! Pleasantly shocked. I do have to add running boards, but already found ones with a 2 inch deeper drop. The van does have a helper handle on the driver's side and the door is a bit smaller and opens a bit less... didn't feel like I would fall out reaching to close it. There are big deep pockets in the door for my folding stool. Big improvement from the truck. Lots of subtle ergonomic improvements vs. Most American trucks... Japanese are rarely 6'6" and that translates nicely for a vertically challenged female.
Gotta go and unload the GMC. Picking up the new van Monday. Needs a name NV3500 isn't a winner. Suggestions?
Congrats on your new NV3500SL purchase. They are a fantastic tow vehicle and drive super nice as you now know.

Before spending $$$$ on running boards note that they leave not a lot of ground clearance after install. My friend that bought an NV3500SL about 2 months back looked into running boards and after seeing how much ground clearance was left after install he decided to do without. He is 72 years old and pretty good shape so no issues getting in and out. Again, enjoy your new NV3500SL. I am envious!! My 2013 Ford E150 XLT Premium does a great job but.........
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:23 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
As for a name - 4th Deadly Sin, if you want to go biblical.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Must have running boards or a folding stool to get in. It is a good 20 inches to the step. My knees are not good. And wow am I frustrated looking for receiver steps. Most are straight out from the receiver. The dual.step ones are meant for permanent install. Not compatible with towing.

Paula
Old 11-28-2020, 07:29 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb75 View Post
As for a name - 4th Deadly Sin, if you want to go biblical.
I was thinking Latin for "Butt Ugly" perhaps there is an app I can check.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:22 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I was thinking Latin for "Butt Ugly" perhaps there is an app I can check.
I recall that tibus turpis is a close approximation...or at least that's the translation we made in order to antagonize underclassmen in high school Latin class.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:27 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
Bugly?
Old 11-29-2020, 07:55 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
Foiled Again - you need to empty out your message box a little. My answers to your questions are getting kicked back to me because it's full.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:14 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Done. Sorry, I didn't realize it had been so long. It should work now
Old 12-02-2020, 04:16 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Could name it FUNGUS because it's growing on me. I love the barn doors for ease of stowing the hitch and weight bars alone.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:44 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
Especially with the way they fold all the way back parallel to the sides to get completely out of your way!