Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2020, 09:56 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Deg

You may notice many waste collection trucks switching to CNG, which means they have gone back to SI gas engine design and moved away from diesel CI design. DEF engine problems and operating/parts costs play a part in those decisions.
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:51 PM   #42
Just RVing

2009 30' Classic
Redmond , Oregon
Newer Vs Older Truck

I just completed a 12,332 mile trip from Oregon to Florida and back.

I drove a 1999, Ford, F350, diesel, pulling a 2009, 31 foot Classic. I just turned 245,000 on the truck. I strongly believe that the older vehicles are built stronger, are more reliable, and less electronics.

I do not worry about mileage since I needed the strength and power of the 7.3 diesel engine with an automatic transmission, and the trailer tow package.

My other reason for keeping the older vehicle is the cost versus benefits of the newer vehicles.

I looked at the new 2020 classic trailers while on the trip, and, I would not trade my 2009 for a 2020. The new design are unacceptable to me and my wife: floor plans, doors on bathroom, battery location, lack of storage in rear bumper being removed, the removal of the tables in front of the couch, the "L" shaped couch, the arrangement of storage in bedroom, the wall and ceiling material. I could go on, the point is the older classic is better and more useful than the 2020 models.
Just RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

One thing to consider and it’s frankly the top thing I consider over anything else when purchasing a truck or car is safety. Newer vehicles fair much better in crash tests.
Here is a crash test of a 15 year old f250, and it’s not pretty. I picked this 2005 f250 randomly for this example.
https://youtu.be/4kab7WTYeTM

Here is a 2001 Chevy
https://youtu.be/Yi7guKanjUs
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:33 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Thanks for all of the thoughts here. A neighbor loaned me several Consumer Reports Buying Guides, so I looked up the various trucks under consideration and made a list of my top choices. Unfortunately, the Buying Guides don't specify which engine a truck has, and that may make a difference.

Buying a used vehicle, truck, car, RV, or airplane, is a matter of doing as much checking of the history as you can. I generally prefer buying a used Ford from a Ford dealer because I think that most likely the vehicle was traded in on a newer one, and may well have been serviced as that dealership. I'm not opposed to buying elsewhere, should the right vehicle appear, but that's my preference. In fact, our current car, a 2015 Lincoln MKT, was purchased from a Mercedes dealer in the same town as it was sold and serviced new.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:10 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
You may want to consider a gasser. With the arrival of the 7.3 gas engine available in the Super Duty Fords, why get a diesel?

Check the box for a diesel and the price jumps approx. $10k. The payload/cargo capacity goes down 600/700/800 LBS. Maintenance costs are way more for a diesel. Fuel is more costly. DEF cost $$ also. When it breaks, and it will, it will cost more to repair.

This is just food for thought. If you absolutely have to have a diesel, have at it.

I have almost 2 million miles in Class 8 diesel trucks. Moving 80,000 LBS down the highway requires a diesel. A modern gasser properly equipped can tow just about any RV down the road in a safe manner. Happy travels.
This might have been true in the past but no so much nowadays. I just purchased a 2020 Silverado 2500 diesel and the difference between the gas and diesel is negligible. It has 200 lbs more payload but the diesel can tow 4500 pounds more and 1500 more with gooseneck. For me fuel mileage is so much better to a gasser either towing or running empty. Diesel prices are maybe 10 to 15 cents more.
rlyoung1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanusport View Post
One thing to consider and its frankly the top thing I consider over anything else when purchasing a truck or car is safety. Newer vehicles fair much better in crash tests.
Here is a crash test of a 15 year old f250, and its not pretty. I picked this 2005 f250 randomly for this example.
https://youtu.be/4kab7WTYeTM

Here is a 2001 Chevy
https://youtu.be/Yi7guKanjUs
Kanusport, maybe I am missing the point, but in the two videos, it looked to me like the driver of the older F250 would have fared much better than the driver of the newer Chevy. As to relative damage to the vehicles, that's what insurance is for: metal can be repaired/replaced, not so much with the drivers.
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote