Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2017, 11:01 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantfuton View Post
Just a quick addition to the threat here....
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-2-owners.html

Lot of good first hand accounts of guys who run the gasser truck and what they see with regard to mpg unloaded as well as towing.
Thanks for posting this! Very interesting reads. I *think* for us and our situation (part-time recreational towing), the gasser will be just fine.
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
As I consider an F250 gas, a couple of questions come to mind that I would like to put out there;

1. Is there any compelling reason to wait on the 2018 models? I thought I had read that there was a new gas engine in the works, along with a new transmission. Although I am reluctant to purchase the first year of new drivetrain designs.

2. I have always had a gear shift on the center console and find the column shift awkward. Has anyone heard about Ford re-locating the shifter?

I'm still struggling with the concept of removing the cab to facilitate some repairs......
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:51 PM   #23
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post

I'm still struggling with the concept of removing the cab to facilitate some repairs......

I have seen this done to the diesels as mentioned, not sure if same applies to gas engines.

Ask a technician, maybe not a good question for a salesman.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:01 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Monterey , California
The new gas motor is the result of a deal recently made by the auto workers union and will deliver a new 7.0 liter gas option for both medium duty trucks as well as the super duty lineup. That's about the most information that is available other than a 2020 model year (2019) release date.

I don't necessarily see anything in the 2018 trucks being significantly different. Some changes that might come about are potential software updates for sync or the Distance to Empty (DTE) calculation as some owners have complained about it being too conservative.

Ford did issue a recall for the f250's with Torqueshift G transmissions because of a parking pin failure to engage. My truck was one such truck and was fixed in an hour before I bought it. No issues afterwards.

I think if ou were to wait to the end of the year you will probably get better pricing just for the sheer fact that the "newness" of the body style will wear off and dealers will give better deals. Right now they are reaping lots of gains because everyone wants the new shiny model
giantfuton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:09 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Monterey , California
Forgot to add that changing your gearshift lever location will be difficult to the point of impossible for the value you gain doing so. I'm not saying that it can't be done BUT the time and money to do it seem prohibitively excessive.

I went from a column shift to console shift and now back to column. I find the utility of the column shift much higher because it frees up space for my phone and/or wallet. The four cup holders also come in handy in this configuration for coffee and water [emoji1303]
Old 05-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
giantfuton, thanks for the response and insight!
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Monterey , California
no problem. I daily drive my f250 6.2 and I have thus far enjoyed it immensely. If you have any questions about living with a 3/4 ton truck on a daily basis then let me know
Old 05-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
I have seen this done to the diesels as mentioned, not sure if same applies to gas engines.

Ask a technician, maybe not a good question for a salesman.
The diesel is a tight fit in the engine bay. Dealers pull cabs every day, doesn't seem like a big deal.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:02 PM   #29
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
The diesel is a tight fit in the engine bay. Dealers pull cabs every day, doesn't seem like a big deal.
And that's how Ford built and delivered the truck, their choice.

OK, how many hours does it flat rate at to R&R a complete cab? AC, coolant, scads of connections etc. And then the tech missed something, pull cab and do it over?

A sample video

Sorry Ford, that requirement just flat rubs me the wrong way. Make it a tilt forward cab and guys will line up to buy it and show off the tilt hood.

And someone mentioned that my cab will not come off because it's a 6 cyl. No its a Cummins 6 cyl, that's why it'll never need to come off.

Enjoy your choices.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:08 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
And that's how Ford built and delivered the truck, their choice.

OK, how many hours does it flat rate at to R&R a complete cab? AC, coolant, scads of connections etc. And then the tech missed something, pull cab and do it over?

A sample video

Sorry Ford, that requirement just flat rubs me the wrong way. Make it a tilt forward cab and guys will line up to buy it and show off the tilt hood.

And someone mentioned that my cab will not come off because it's a 6 cyl. No its a Cummins 6 cyl, that's why it'll never need to come off.

Enjoy your choices.
There's room to rebuild that six without ever pulling the cab. Anyway, the thread was about F250 gas and diesel, so I'll stick to that. Mine is awesome. I was skeptical about pickups in general, but I'll never go back.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:11 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
By the way, that new 25' sure will tow nice behind my Gas F350. I can see why Ford is the Best Selling Truck. And my cab will never come off!

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 06-15-2017, 08:57 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
De Pere , Wisconsin
I researched this topic ad nauseum and am driving an 2017 F350 diesel now. Drove both engines repeatedly and no doubt the gasser is a fine motor. Biggest thing for me is that no one I spoke to in person with the exception a few folks on the internet has ever regretted towing with a diesel. I drive from the midwest through Colorado, down through Utah,Arizona, and New Mexico each winter until heading back north. I am getting a 60 gallon replacement fuel tank installed next month.

My initial impression is that I am really happy with the towing performance. If budget is important, distances traveled perhaps not huge, and terrain not too mountainous the gas engine is really ideal and will do all the mountains and etc a diesel will do as well - but when the roads get steep and the wind is blowing etc, the diesel is just a more pleasant experience. This ain't a cheap hobby and I never try and justify the expense.
2wiresdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Monterey , California
this is going to be one of those much debated topics forever.

I just got done pulling our 25' into Las Vegas on I-5 E with our 2017 Lariat F250. Total weight for the trailer is right at 6800lbs. The 6.2 gas (w/ 4.30 gears) pulled well and the grade at some points was long and pretty steep but nothing like Colorado obviously. At times running between 4 and 4,500 rpm the one thing I did notice is that the soundproofing/insulation material on the 2017 trucks is really good. I didn't feel like I was really stressed out from the motor winding up.

Good power, loves gas! 9.5mpg. Overall, I spend so much time away from home I didn't need my wife worrying about diesel filters, water separator stuff so for us the gas was a good option.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
this is going to be one of those much debated topics forever.

I just got done pulling our 25' into Las Vegas on I-5 E with our 2017 Lariat F250. Total weight for the trailer is right at 6800lbs. The 6.2 gas (w/ 4.30 gears) pulled well and the grade at some points was long and pretty steep but nothing like Colorado obviously. At times running between 4 and 4,500 rpm the one thing I did notice is that the soundproofing/insulation material on the 2017 trucks is really good. I didn't feel like I was really stressed out from the motor winding up.

Good power, loves gas! 9.5mpg. Overall, I spend so much time away from home I didn't need my wife worrying about diesel filters, water separator stuff so for us the gas was a good option.
Good to hear it got the job done with the 25'. Our 25 is on order, can't wait to pull it with the 6.2. We recently made the trip to Bar Harbor, then across Maine and PA. Love the way that motor and tow haul mode works up and down hill. Saw 4000rpm in spots but mostly stayed 3000 and below. sounds like a Mustang. Had my share of diesels but don't need the noise and smell where I live now. Saw plenty of Gas trucks on the trip, pulling all kinds of trailers.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Monterey , California
Newer Models Ford F250 Gas Vs. F250 Diesel

Maine and PA is a great example of hilly terrain that this engine/trans combo can tackle and stay at speed with traffic. I feel like you're right about the number of gas rigs on the road. I feel like I see more and more as we travel. The modern gassers are gaining their popularity back (outside of fleet sales)
Old 06-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Maine and PA is a great example of hilly terrain that this engine/trans combo can tackle and stay at speed with traffic. I feel like you're right about the number of gas rigs on the road. I feel like I see more and more as we travel. The modern gassers are gaining their popularity back (outside of fleet sales)
By the way I had no problem going faster than that but it's a little stressful and I didn't buy an AS to be in a hurry. When we got back into Ohio we saw crews scooping up the remains of a big SOB with a backhoe. No thanks.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
This is great info. Hubby uses the truck as his everyday, so price and that helped us make our decision. Locally, we have gentle hills and small mountains that show us what the 250 can do on those and we will head into West Virginia in August and that will give a little more info. We most certainly do a full on out west trip and that will be coast to coast within the next year and a half.
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #38
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
I'm finding this directly relevant to me as I shop TVs for a 25 AS, thanks to all it is
Sooo enlightening 👍😁

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Monterey , California
Glad to hear you are getting something out of this thread. We've really enjoyed our 25' Int'l Serenity this summer and the F250 with 6.2 has been really great pulling it. If you want to see some videos and impressions of the 6.2 gas motor with 4.30 gear ratio then you can visit my youtube channel. I've posted several different videos to give prospective gas buyers a decent idea of what it is like towing with a gas F250.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs6...YhmzWWaXFwjvEg

If you have any questions then feel free to ask. This is a great place to learn from others experience (aaannnnndddd mistakes )

GF
Old 08-04-2017, 11:22 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Purchased our 2016 F350 double cab 6 foot bed 4x4 diesel after driving Toyota Tundras from 1981 to 2016 in the 4.7L to 5.7L engines.

The transition to a 3/4 to 1 ton 4x4 takes a bit getting use to after driving 1/2 ton Toyotas.

The Tundra is my choice for a 4x4 truck... but is too light suspension for our 25 foot International when Off the Grid Boondocking in the Rocky Mountain region. An excellent flat land towing vehicle, but the suspension with the Equalizer hitch 1000# bars would be take the leaf springs nearly flat if you tried to transfer more weight to the front of the Tundra to level the front out.

The F250/F350 rides very smooth with the 25 foot International in tow. The diesel with turbo is smooth, quick to react and is an excellent truck for towing. If the Tundra comes out with a 3/4 ton Tundra... I most likely will return to the Toyota. The body is better fitted and interior sealed from outside dust around the doors.

Our F350 diesel gets 16 to 20mpg as a driver, 10 to 15mpg while towing. I am comfortable towing in the 65 to 75mph range. With the 16" Michelins 70/75mph, which brings the mpg down. If you drive at 2,000rpm at 60/65mph... expect 14 to 17mpg towing. These are driving at elevations above 3,000 to 11,000 feet.

I am new to diesels. Actually ignorant, but getting more comfortable with their operation. Thanks to Jen on the Wyoming Adventure giving me many pointers. The overhead of oil changes and DEF, with the list of filters and other items that potentially may need replacement are all unknowns and if the service providers will take advantage of this ignorance.

There is no diesel smell or exhaust coughing black soot. Runs very quiet. Loaded with the 25 foot International provides a smooth drive and towing is level with a trailer tracking easily behind. I am impressed with the operation and towing strengths of the heavier truck.

You do need running boards and the tail gate has a foldout step and hand bar... to get into the back of the bed.

Is the additional cost worth it? Probably not, but this was a purchase as the aluminum bed 2017's were coming soon... and the steel bed with the 3" sleeve hitch was heavier than the Tundra's 2 1/2 shank/hitch. For whatever that adds to the truck/trailer stability.

With 15,000 miles and maybe 5,000 towing, I am finally in a position to test this combination out beginning this August 2017 and ahead with no more obligations to anyone but ourselves.

A gasser? Had there been a similarly equipped F250/F350 on the lot... I may have gone that direction. The important issue was needing a heavier truck. With the end of the year purchase and the vehicle had everything and more. The sticker price was hard to comprehend, but with an overly generous trade in on our 2014 Tundra Crew Max and the hokus pokus discounts and haggling for more... we left.

The additional cost for the 6.7L Diesel would buy a lot of gasoline and at the end would be dead heat break even, dollar for dollar at 100,000 miles. Oil and filter service not included in this make believe comparison, but reasonable.