Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2021, 06:43 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Raleigh , North Carolina
How do you like the Navigator pulling your Classic up moderate grades? Are you able to maintain decent speeds? Does hitch weight concern you at all as far as what the Nav is spec’d to carry?
BT2513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:12 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Fayetteville , Arkansas
The new Chevy half ton 3.0 liter diesel. I have a 2019 27FB and this is all you need. And you will have great torque, more than adequate hp and awesome mileage. Disregard all the 3/4 ton posts. I pulled
the same trailer to Alaska with a 2016 Chevy 1/2 ton 5.3 gasoline, got 12 mpg and it was more than adequate. The new 1/2 ton diesel is even better!! If you just need to go bigger, get a 3/4 ton and spend more unnecessary funds.
jtblakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:56 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
[QUOTE=Capt who;2468978]I don't know if there is a best vehicle but look at the number of people that started with a 1/2 ton and moved up to a 3/4 ton. Not many went to a 1/2 ton after having a 3/4 ton. Myself I have a 2020 F250 6.7 diesel and couldn't be happier, good ride, good mpg, good payload and way more power than I need which makes it so much fun to drive.[

Ditto ^
The key here is payload capacity, stability and stopping power. Most modern 1/2 tons have enough power and torque to tow most anything up to 30’. That’s where most people get lost in the numbers. Just because the manufacturer states that it can do it doesn’t mean that it’s the best fit for the job because all of the real world scenarios are not factored in. A lot of folks on these forums tow just fine with their 1/2 tons because they haven’t done it with a 3/4. I did it with both and there is no comparison. I felt ‘on edge’ with the F150. No so with the F250.

I suppose if you had no passengers, very little gear in the truck, and was conscious on how you loaded the trailer you could tow the 27 with a 1/2 ton.
But adding much to that and throw in some mountain passes and you may wished you had went bigger.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:47 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Lewisville , Texas
Well said.

[QUOTE=Bcc75;2469348]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt who View Post
I don't know if there is a best vehicle but look at the number of people that started with a 1/2 ton and moved up to a 3/4 ton. Not many went to a 1/2 ton after having a 3/4 ton. Myself I have a 2020 F250 6.7 diesel and couldn't be happier, good ride, good mpg, good payload and way more power than I need which makes it so much fun to drive.[

Ditto ^
The key here is payload capacity, stability and stopping power. Most modern 1/2 tons have enough power and torque to tow most anything up to 30’. That’s where most people get lost in the numbers. Just because the manufacturer states that it can do it doesn’t mean that it’s the best fit for the job because all of the real world scenarios are not factored in. A lot of folks on these forums tow just fine with their 1/2 tons because they haven’t done it with a 3/4. I did it with both and there is no comparison. I felt ‘on edge’ with the F150. No so with the F250.

I suppose if you had no passengers, very little gear in the truck, and was conscious on how you loaded the trailer you could tow the 27 with a 1/2 ton.
But adding much to that and throw in some mountain passes and you may wished you had went bigger.
NO NOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:15 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
[QUOTE=NO NOIZE;2469627]Well said.

Dito, Dito!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:24 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
So the moral of this story is that a F150 beats a SUV, a F250 beats a F150, a F350 beats a F250, a F450 beats a F350, a F550 beats a F450, and on and on.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:41 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
So the moral of this story is that a F150 beats a SUV, a F250 beats a F150, a F350 beats a F250, a F450 beats a F350, a F550 beats a F450, and on and on.
Generally true, but there is more to this than your comment above indicates. For example:

* Although a 3/4 ton truck has more towing power than a 1/2 ton, it also has significantly tighter suspension which makes it ride rougher. A one ton rides like an absolute rock without a fairly heavy load on it. That's why many prefer a 3/4 ton to pull even the higher end of the Airstream range. They are still relatively comfortable without a trailer behind them.

* A 1/2 ton truck's suspension will usually be compressed more greatly with any trailer above 25'. Even with a weight stabilizing hitch. We watched our pastor pull a 26' trailer (another brand) with their F150 and the truck was doing a mini wheelie (back lower than front by 3").

* There is a huge difference in MPG and torque in each of these truck sizes between a gas engine and a diesel. Diesels don't have to rev to produce torque....just blip the accelerator peddle an extra 1/8th inch and it will respond. Gas engines don't produce torque as easily and require higher revs to do so. That's why mileage drops so much when towing a load with any gas powered vehicle (8 to 12 MPG documented in this thread)

* Another benefit of diesel engines is that they control TV/AS downhill speeds much better. Backpressure from the turbocharger or a "jake brake" option can allow the driver to manage downhill speed using that same torque (without riding the brakes). In the same truck with a gas engine, a steep downhill grade requires brakes to be used more aggressively. For those of us who travel in mountainous terrain that is a big benefit.

* Final detail is that although more expensive, a diesel engine will typically last longer than it's gas counterpart.
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:19 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowbridge View Post
Generally true, but there is more to this than your comment above indicates. For example:

* Although a 3/4 ton truck has more towing power than a 1/2 ton, it also has significantly tighter suspension which makes it ride rougher. A one ton rides like an absolute rock without a fairly heavy load on it. That's why many prefer a 3/4 ton to pull even the higher end of the Airstream range. They are still relatively comfortable without a trailer behind them.

* A 1/2 ton truck's suspension will usually be compressed more greatly with any trailer above 25'. Even with a weight stabilizing hitch. We watched our pastor pull a 26' trailer (another brand) with their F150 and the truck was doing a mini wheelie (back lower than front by 3").

* There is a huge difference in MPG and torque in each of these truck sizes between a gas engine and a diesel. Diesels don't have to rev to produce torque....just blip the accelerator peddle an extra 1/8th inch and it will respond. Gas engines don't produce torque as easily and require higher revs to do so. That's why mileage drops so much when towing a load with any gas powered vehicle (8 to 12 MPG documented in this thread)

* Another benefit of diesel engines is that they control TV/AS downhill speeds much better. Backpressure from the turbocharger or a "jake brake" option can allow the driver to manage downhill speed using that same torque (without riding the brakes). In the same truck with a gas engine, a steep downhill grade requires brakes to be used more aggressively. For those of us who travel in mountainous terrain that is a big benefit.

* Final detail is that although more expensive, a diesel engine will typically last longer than it's gas counterpart.
Agree. Also, bigger payload typically with the 3/4T then the 1/2T's... Down side is parking and cost of fuel vs gas, although better mileage towing for sure, then the gas. That extra 1' length in wheel base also can make it difficult as a daily driver in some areas for parking....but, can't have everything! We have 117K miles on our 2017 F250 now since new, and when towing the 28', it is very stable, has great power, and comfortable to drive. Set the engine brake, set cruise at 65+, set anti collision distance "radar", sit back and enjoy...up/down/around towing in the mountains is much less stressful.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote