Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2021, 11:10 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2018 26' Flying Cloud
Brighton , Michigan
Please check your private messages. Might have a solution for you.
Rivet Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:14 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
If I were buying a new tow vehicle for that trailer, it would be a GMC 2500 or 3500 with a Duramax Diesel engine.
Excellent suggestion, you will find many threads on this topic. In the end you want to feel in control when towing, accelerating (e.g. getting onto highway on-ramps), breaking or maintaining speed on different road grades (e.g. mountain roads), and being able to load your truck without worrying that you are exceeding the vehicle's specs. You want to avoid white knuckle driving which is no fun.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:15 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
I would not tow this with a 1500 series truck. Think Payload.
As stated, tongue weights are usually low on the spec sheet. Subtract that from your payload. You cannot go wrong with any truck from the big three. Gas or diesel is your choice. I have towed with gas and diesel. I won't be going back to gas as long as I tow. Oil changes on a diesel are a little pricey. They hold three gallons of oil. They pull like a freight train.
In your budget, you might be able to find a used diesel.

Welcome to the Forums
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:44 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Excellent information, thank you! Yes, it is just me, and yes, I am considering both the 25 or the 27. But if I am single, wouldn't you go with the queen size bed? I recently joined the Harvest Host Golf program, and intend to camp from golf course to golf course...and I really don't have tons of gear...but I like your suggestion to look at the 25 International instead....good idea!!
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:42 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
Welcome to the forum.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:39 PM   #26

2021 27' International
Stevensville , Michigan
Agree on the 2500. We purchased a 2500HD diesel to pull our 2021 27FB and have been very pleased.
Warrenwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Think payload

Figure that you have 1000 lbs of tongue weight from the trailer. There are 1/2 ton trucks out there that, properly equipped will have nearly 2000 lb payload rating. Itís always listed on the tag inside the driver side door jamb.
If, after subtracting your hitch weight, you feel confident you can stay below the payload rating, then a half ton may work for you with a properly set up hitch. Also donít forget about the weight of a cap or tonneau if added.

Having said that, for a 27 I think youíll like the way a 3/4 ton truck handles better, but thatís me.

As for diesel vs gas, you canít beat a diesel for towing. However if you have limited budget, you might be better off buying a used gasser. Others may disagree but, because a diesel requires more maintenance and is less forgiving than gas engines re: less than perfect maintenance practices, Iíd be careful about buying a used diesel unless it was really low mileage....but thatís me, too.

We pull a 28 which has the same weight (7600 lb gross) as the 27. We use an F350 diesel because we carry incredible amounts of stuff when we hit the road😎.

We love the Ford Super Duty.

One final thought, you might check out the reliability ratings in consumer reports as you shop for trucks.

Good luck to you!
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Church Point , NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
Hello, everyone! I'm so glad I found this forum. Bear with me, as I am a total newbie. Thank you for your patience.

I'm seriously considering purchasing a new 2021 AS International 27FB. GVWR is 7600 lbs, hitch weight (with batteries and LP) is 791 lbs.

Right now, it is just me and my golf clubs. Throw in a bike, and perhaps an occasional traveling companion, so no more than two persons. I would prefer a pickup truck over an SUV. My budget is us$30-40k.

What would be your recommendations for the safest tow vehicle for this scenario?

THANK YOU!!

The longest and heaviest you can afford and loaded to its legal maximum when towing. Use the Hensley-type of hitch. Keep towing speed below 60 mph.

Collyn
Old 03-02-2021, 08:40 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
We have owned a 25FB twin 2015 and a 27 FB 2018 serenity. We know for a facet that the hitch weights of both exceed 1200 lbs. all the lockers, and internal tanks and propane drive a heavy front. There are numerous threads on airforums related to how much the actual hitch weight exceeds the stated on the brochures. You can pull an AS with anything BUT MANAGING THE TOW, stopping is the key. Knowing the hitch weights we were dealing with and our 2ft itis we opted diesel 350. Yes more than we need but we load the truck bed and have no worries.
Do not believe the stated hitch weight on the FB models.
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:27 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ camper View Post
Diesel engines are high altitude engines. If you arenít towing in the mountains too much, look for a gas engine 3/4 ton truck. Much cheaper, less costly to maintain and a softer ride than a one ton.
The interest in diesel engines in the mountains is not their ability to operate in high altitude as much as the engine braking offered by a diesel engine combined with its power and torque; all this makes mountain driving a lot less stressful.
This means your vehicle will maintain its (reasonable and safe) speed without overusing (and heating) the brakes or needing to floor the accelerator to reach high RPMs to get the needed engine power.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:00 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Co
A truck in the 3/4 Ton range.
Examples
Ford F-250
Chevy 2500 Series
Don't tow with too small of a tow vehicle, that the trailer becomes capable of driving
Strongly agree with the recommendation for a 3/4 ton or larger. I have first hand experience on this, I have a 25í flying cloud, initially towed with a 1/2 ton (f150) and very quickly decided I needed a heavier, more stable tow vehicle. I now have an f250 and am positive I did the right thing. Trading vehicles is not cheap, I dont have that level of disposable capital, but safety and peace of mind trumps all for me.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:25 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
The interest in diesel engines in the mountains is not their ability to operate in high altitude as much as the engine braking offered by a diesel engine combined with its power and torque; all this makes mountain driving a lot less stressful.
This means your vehicle will maintain its (reasonable and safe) speed without overusing (and heating) the brakes or needing to floor the accelerator to reach high RPMs to get the needed engine power.
Just to add to the engine brake experience...yesterday coming from San Diego to Phoenix, the 8 Freeway speed at 65+ on steep grades with big rigs and traffic...engage engine brake, anti collision, set cruise to 65...relaxed drive up/down/around towing our 28'. Same in the Rockies when we are traveling there in summer...nothing like when I was pulling my 25' with our F150 EB...we were always watching the engine temps, also on steep stretches of mountain twisting turns, worried about the disk brakes, which did get hot for sure...no issues with the automatic features including engine brake of course, on the F250. If you have not experienced the difference, hard to understand the difference stress-less driving can be!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:34 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Mobile , Alabama
We bought a 2020 GT 27'FB this past summer and pulled it with a 2020 GMC 1500 with a 5.3L V8 on it's maiden voyage (company truck). It was ok, but as most have opined, it felt like the truck could be controlled by the trailer - not so good, and we were in S. AL so relatively flat. So when I purchased the truck for the trailer, I went with a FORD F-250 with a 6.2L gas engine (about $60k). I thought the diesel was overkill, heavier, and $10K more money + all of the O&M costs mentioned by others. It does a great job! A 3/4T truck has more breaking control (about 2x) as the 1/2T and that is a key spec for me. It is also a more rigid truck meant for pulling trailers. However, if you are going to stay in the Rockies or other mountainous terrain, I would get a diesel. For me, it is an occasional trip in the severe-grade country and even then I think the gas-puller 3/4T will do fine. BTW - Ford has a new gas engine, the 7.3L, but my discussion with the service manager convinced me that engine still had some issues while the 6.2L was a tried and true power plant. But, I guess "lemons" come in all trucks and engines.
Good streaming!
water007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:14 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Raleigh , North Carolina
This thread is well timed for me as we pick up our 27FB next week. I’ll be towing with a 2008 Tahoe initially. Why? Because it’s what we already have. We towed our 6000# Lance with few issues.

Our payload rating is 1535# and we removed the 3rd row seating. I also added a very large transmission cooler, beefier shocks, and drilled/slotted brake rotors. I wasn’t sure how accurate the 791# advertised hitch weight is. Hopefully, we can pack it light and keep it close to that. I also purchased a ProPride hitch which will add to the tongue weight but hopefully negate trailer sway. How bad will my towing experience be?

We are east coast based weekend warriors. No huge mountain passes in our future. Will have a TV upgrade at some point later this year. Hoping the 3P hitch and aerodynamic airstream count for something.
BT2513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Williamsburg , Virginia
We currently have a 2019 27 foot Tommy and we are towing it with a 2019 F150 XLT with a 3.5 eco-boost engine. Plenty of power actually better performance than our old Ford F2 50 with a V-8.
RichardBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:35 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

camas , Washington
Safety as Primary Goal

If Safety is really your primary goal, then don't waste your time with a wimpy 3/4 ton, you will be the safest in a 1 ton dually diesel, 8' box AND you can bring all your gym/weight equipment. AND like "they" all say " you won't even know your trailer is back there".
Enjoy the thread
Dick tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:42 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cassopolis , Michigan
Tow Vehicle 27FB

I suggest a half ton pickup. Hereís our story towing our 27FBTC. 9000# GVW, otherwise pretty similar to your setup. Our actual loaded towing weight is around 7500#.

We bought a brand new Ď16 3/4 ton F250 4wd short bed, after all the various expertsí advice. I think its suspension was designed for the Flintstones. Unless we were towing, the ride quality was so horrible that we couldnít stand to drive the damn thing. And parking that truck in any parking lot, and backing our trailer into a campsite, were extremely trying due to its long turning radius.

We traded it for a Ď19 Expedition Max with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine. Life is so much better. It is so comfortable, and it tows great, even in the Rocky Mountains. Fuel economy when towing is about the same as our 3/4T, i.e. 10 mpg, but for every day use it gets 19-20 comfortable mpg compared to 12 for the pickup.

If I were looking for a pickup again, Iíd get a F150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost.
biyak269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cassopolis , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT2513 View Post
This thread is well timed for me as we pick up our 27FB next week. I’ll be towing with a 2008 Tahoe initially. Why? Because it’s what we already have. We towed our 6000# Lance with few issues.

Our payload rating is 1535# and we removed the 3rd row seating. I also added a very large transmission cooler, beefier shocks, and drilled/slotted brake rotors. I wasn’t sure how accurate the 791# advertised hitch weight is. Hopefully, we can pack it light and keep it close to that. I also purchased a ProPride hitch which will add to the tongue weight but hopefully negate trailer sway. How bad will my towing experience be?

We are east coast based weekend warriors. No huge mountain passes in our future. Will have a TV upgrade at some point later this year. Hoping the 3P hitch and aerodynamic airstream count for something.
We tow a 27FBT Classic with an Expedition. Just be aware that your tongue weight might come in around 1000#. We use a Hensley hitch, and it works great.
biyak269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:12 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1999 30' Limited
Port Perry , Ontario
Hi, We’ve owned our Classic 30 for 12 years. We started out with a 3/4 ton Ford Excursion, and now tow with a Lincoln Navigator with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine (same as F150/Expediton). Compared to the Excursion I find the Navigator much better behaved, safer, stable and with better fuel economy. For us, the Navigator is a better all around solution for 7x24x365 driving/towing than having to own a big 3/4 ton for towing and a second vehicle for the rest of the time. I’ve experienced no issues towing through hilly terrain however I’m talking Pennsylvania driving versus the Rockies. However some common sense is required and we limit our speeds to posted limits and watch our loading. I generally leave the water tanks empty and fill them on site if required There’s no question a 3/4 ton diesel will out perform a gas ecoboost , but with 460 Ft pounds of torque, I find the ecoboost capable with very good fuel economy and fits my requirements. Stopping capability is excellent with the standard braking system on the Navigator and in addition to the 4 wheel trailer brakes, a good safe rig. Now keep in mind this is my experience and others a will have their own thoughts and experiences. You can’t go wrong with a 3/4 ton truck, but if using a 3/4 ton truck was mandatory to pull an Airstream, it would exclude a lot of us from the club. Hope this helps.
ALTE797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:31 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
berlin , Maryland
I don't know if there is a best vehicle but look at the number of people that started with a 1/2 ton and moved up to a 3/4 ton. Not many went to a 1/2 ton after having a 3/4 ton. Myself I have a 2020 F250 6.7 diesel and couldn't be happier, good ride, good mpg, good payload and way more power than I need which makes it so much fun to drive.
Capt who is online now   Reply With Quote