Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2019, 08:06 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Orlando , Florida
Newbie- ‘04 4Runner

After quite a few years of day-dreaming, we are finally purchasing a 2017 22’. We’ve spent a few years enjoying RV shows, as long as AIrstreams were there! The only two TTs that I’ve owned were two matchbox sized airstreams that sit on my desk!

It would be a huge blessing if we didn’t need to purchase a TV but I’m uncertain whether our current vehicle is sufficient. We have a 2004 Toyota 4Runner V-6 4.0 2wd. Numbers indicate 500 tongue weight capacity and 5,000 tow weight. It appears that a WDH (which I know little about) is not compatible with my small, stock, bolt on hitch receiver.

I’m tracking that the 2017 22’ numbers are advertising 393 tongue weight and 4,500 max weight.

The 4Runner has been with us forever and is such a great vehicle! Also, great for non-towing, urban utilization. The economic benefits are obvious if we don’t need to purchase something else. However, I’m completely unaware of its practical and safe ability to perform the task.

We live in FL and don’t plan on any extensive travels or challenging terrain any time soon.

Would appreciate some experienced, sound advice.... thx so very much!

- Chris & Sunhee
Simbone47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Our first trailer was also the 22.
When we were shopping we drove a Honda Pilot which was a v8 and rated to tow 5000 pounds. We traded the Honda for a truck before purchase, and were glad to have the extra control and braking the truck offers.

You state your vehicle meets the specs on hitch weight and overall weight. But I don't understand the comment about not being suitable for a WD hitch. Why?

My 2 cents is that it appears you probably could "be OK" modifying the 15 year old vehicle to tow "just OK" in your flat terrain. But any 15 year old vehicle that is topped out by capacity may feel the strain.

Even if you don't need weight distribution, you will benefit from sway control. That is one benefit to a hitch like an equalizer.

Additionally, being maxed out at capacity does not give you much of a cushion for gunning it if you need to in traffic.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:54 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Orlando , Florida
Piggy Bank,
It seems that my model 4Runner has a very small bolt on hitch receiver that lacks the proper security to the truck frame. It wouldn’t bear the stress of the wdh. Can Am RV has contacted me with assistance. My wife would like a Pilot for her next vehicle but I imagine that wouldn’t be a significant improvement for my current dilemma.
Simbone47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbone47 View Post
Piggy Bank,
It seems that my model 4Runner has a very small bolt on hitch receiver that lacks the proper security to the truck frame. It wouldn’t bear the stress of the wdh. Can Am RV has contacted me with assistance. My wife would like a Pilot for her next vehicle but I imagine that wouldn’t be a significant improvement for my current dilemma.
I see.
No I don't think the Pilot is any real improvement.

I drove our Pilot for 10 years. Now we have a Toyota Tundra and it is my daily driver. It is really easy to drive (yes kind of big to park sometimes), but it drives well, has a cushy ride for me, and tows great.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:53 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Newbie- ‘04 4Runner

Tow vehicle threads elicit a plethora of opinions, so OP beware, and as such I seldom weigh in on these topics. That being said I will offer my thoughts. Ideally I try not to exceed 80% of my TV’s rated tow capacity. That’s my desire, though I don’t sweat the values. It is imperative though that your know the capabilities of your tow combination and setup.

If your 4R is rated to the trailer weight then you are ahead of the game, as there are many over capacity tows on the road in a given day. If a mousy bumper hitch is the issue, that can be readily addressed via a hitch upgrade. Class III hitches for your model year are readily available in the 730 lb/ 7,300 lb. capacity range when using a WDH setup. The cost is in the range of $160 USD, so we’re not talking about a significant cash outlay. Suggest you look at the Draw-Tite hitch at www.etrailer.com. You should also look at brake controllers, hitch wiring offerings, and if needed, a transmission cooler if you have an AT.

Best of luck to you two, and congrats on the new Airstream.

Kevin

PS. We expect pictures, or we’ll never believe a word you share!

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #6
Site Team

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Hello Chris and Sunhee, welcome to the forum and future Airstream.

I have an '04 4Runner, but I have the 4X4 V8 with towing package, which includes the frame hitch, 7-pin trailer connection, transmission cooler, larger alternator/battery and the electric brake controller connection. I have the SE model which has the X-REAS shock absorber system. I pull a 23' AS and the rig handles very well. Mine has a 7,000 towing capacity and 700 lb. tongue weight. The maximum trailer weight for mine is 5,710. For yours, it is 5,330 for 2WD and 5,570 for 4WD.

I'm attaching the specifications for both models. If you have the standard hitch then, as mentioned, you would need to upgrade to a frame hitch. If you don't have the towing package then you will need to have the brake controller wired for you. By the driver's left foot, kick panel, somewhere near the top, look for a plug that isn't connected to anything. This will be the plug that connects to the brake controller.

Do you have the connector for the umbilical cord from the Airstream? This is a closed, round 7-pin plug socket on the left side under the bumper. If not, another addition for you. I would also (if possible) upgrade the alternator and battery to match the towing package.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4Runner Specifications.pdf (28.1 KB, 5 views)
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote