Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Jdh
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Slc , Utah
New TV tonight, would love feedback

Just got home tonight with a 2010 Toyota Tundra 4.6 to tow my 67 20' globetrotter, would love some opinions. After getting on the forums I'm second guessing myself as to whether I bought the right truck...... I figured my trailer weight being 3000 lbs dry, the towing capacity of 7800 would be more than enough, with the 4.6 being a bit better on the mpg. Thoughts, anyone?
Jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Try it out and then you will know.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
What r carl said.

If the truck can do 7800 lb and your trailer is 3000, can't imagine you have much to worry about! Hit the road and enjoy! :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
You could tow that trailer with a much smaller car. You've got nothing to worry about. Enjoy
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Truck discussions here would have you believe you need twice the truck that can do the job well. Or that you are unsafe, or illegal, or just plain stupid if you don't. Or that an oversized truck is somehow better.

You and your wallet are better served overall by a truck that matches the trailer, and that one matches up very well.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
I think it's overkill.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Woodland Hills , California
Your Tundra is fine. I have a '65 Globetrotter and tow with a 2005 Tundra. On my rebuild of trailer, I added close to 1500 more pounds. I have a weight distributing hitch and have towed my trailer all over the Western US. It tows like a hot knife through butter.
kennyp315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We towed our 2007 20' Airstream 5000# fully loaded cross country through mountains with a 2006 Tundra small V8 and it felt unstable at times. The standard P (passenger) tires were too soft a sidewall allowing sideways motion in winds, trucks passing. Called Andy Thomson at CanAm Airstream in Canada (they specialize in all types of towing setups) and he recommended a XL (XL rated tire) of a specific size. Great improvement in stability.

The power was fine, keep it out of overdrive (or use tow/haul mode if you have it) when towing. Shift down as needed to keep 3500 rpm when climbing steep grades, and always approach steep descents slowly and shift the transmission down as needed to keep it that way. The cause of many power complaints is unwillingness to simply use the transmission as needed.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

It sounds like a good match

Truck discussions here would have you believe you need half the truck to do the job well ( just kidding)

But I think the right size tow vehicle has more to do with than just the size of the engine and trailer weight as factors.
I think that suspension, weight of the tow vehicle, wheel base of the tow vehicle, and braking also make for a safe match.

It has been said that you can damage your trailer, by getting to " much " of a truck. A suspension set up that is to stiff, could cause stress to your trailer.

I would recommend a weight distribution hitch. Besides safety, I get a nicer ride, with less porpoising. I found this out once when I left the bars off, while I was looking for level ground to put the bars on.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The cause of many power complaints is unwillingness to simply use the transmission as needed.
I'm in agreement with that, Doug. Too often we hear complaints about down-shifting, but isn't that what the transmission is supposed to do? OK, constant upping and downing isn't good, but there's nothing wrong if the transmission down-shifts to deal with a gradient.

I couldn't venture an opinion about the Tundra other than the fact that it's a popular tow vehicle and clearly works for a lot of people

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #11
Jdh
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Slc , Utah
Thanks all, hooked up the trailer today for a short trip around town to get a feel, I felt a lot more comfortable than with my last vehicle. Then promptly jack knifed backing it in and put a nice big dent in my shiny new bumper like an idiot. Sigh.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdh View Post
Thanks all, hooked up the trailer today for a short trip around town to get a feel, I felt a lot more comfortable than with my last vehicle. Then promptly jack knifed backing it in and put a nice big dent in my shiny new bumper like an idiot. Sigh.
Those are just "character" marks. :-)

Glad you're happy with the truck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdh View Post
Alway's take it easy while backing. Also try to have someone back there watching the whole operation communicating with you.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

I have a small Argosy 20'

A little bit of correction goes a long way when backing up a trailer that has wheels so close to the hitch. ( I think it's true for bigger trailers, but maybe not as much, as I have no experience with the huge trailers )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I have experience backing up and have concluded that one should never, ever, in a million years, back up with out a spotter. And the spotter needs a minimum of two signals that you both understand. Stop and go. The spotter must also understand that if he or she cannot see you in your mirror, you cannot see the spotter. That's it. I know a bunch of us have learned this the $ way. Jim
Old 10-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Even the "small" motor is over 300 horsepower.
I don't see a problem.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
A little bit of correction goes a long way when backing up a trailer that has wheels so close to the hitch. ( I think it's true for bigger trailers, but maybe not as much, as I have no experience with the huge trailers )
The longer trailers are a lot more forgiving. I was terrified not so much of towing my 34' but backing it up. It turns out that it is really no big deal*. The three axles turn the beast smooth and gentle, and because it is so long you can see where it is going in your mirrors.

Not that I ever back up without a spotter, if I can possibly help it. Nearly went into a low hanging tree branch a week ago.

*Except when it is. Like three weeks ago, when try as I might I could not get it lined up with its parking space. After 30 minutes, took a 10 minute break, walked away and did it first time when I returned.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
I have experience backing up and have concluded that one should never, ever, in a million years, back up with out a spotter. And the spotter needs a minimum of two signals that you both understand. Stop and go. The spotter must also understand that if he or she cannot see you in your mirror, you cannot see the spotter. That's it. I know a bunch of us have learned this the $ way. Jim
Jim is CORRECT! I have two blemishes in my otherwise beautiful Tundra to prove it. I received both backing up without a spotter (solo, no trailer). The problem is made worse by the Tundra being HUGE and I have a cap with tinted glass, so visibility is terrible.

BTW, I love my Tundra and you will love yours. It is a great TV.

I have the 5.7L with 2wd. I average 13.5 mpg towing gently but my trailer only weighs 5k loaded.

As others have said, make use of the tranny when driving in the mountains. It saves the brakes and gives you much more braking capacity.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:38 AM   #19
Jdh
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Slc , Utah
Thanks again everyone. As far as backing my trailer is concerned, my plan is to never do it again. Ever. As long as I live.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My dented bumper is not from backing.
My dent came from towing a cargo trailer and forgetting to latch the coupler on the ball.
I realized what I had done, but was too stubborn to stop and latch the coupler.
I thought I could make it to the house.
I almost did make to the house before I hit a pothole and the trailer came off the truck.
I panicked and hit the brakes.
When I did that, the truck stopped but the trailer did not.
Y'all know the rest of the story.
All this to be a good Samaritan and help someone move for free...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote