Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Plantation , Florida
Why? What do you think the diesel would have done better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCurtis View Post
I own a 2019 Chevy Silverado High Country 4x4 with Tow Package installed. It has the 6.2 L V8. I tow a 2020 25RB. The truck is only used for towing too.

I just returned from a month long trip where we went from Texas through Colorado, Utah and Arizonia. Driver up medium to steep hills it tacs at 4K RPMs to maintain a speed of 65 MPH. On lesser hills it will tack 3K RPM.

My gas milage on our total trip was 10.8 MPG and I only use premium gas.

Time will tell if this is going to work out over the next year. If I could have a do over I would strongly consider going with a diesal.
dlfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
If you are going to be towing that 30Ft in any kind of hilly terrain, you are going to want the diesel in your manufacturer of choice. They will not only give you all the power necessary to climb hills effortlessly but, more importantly, the diesel engine brake will become your best friend on the way down the hills.

I tow a 27FB Int with a 3500 GMC Duramax. I set the cruise at 65 mph and that is what is does up and down the steepest grades without touching a pedal. And there is no 3-4k rpm going on, no matter the grade. Just stable, quiet and comfortable.

If you opt for a diesel, you should strongly consider a 3500 because, as already been said, you are giving up 8-900 lbs of cargo capacity with a diesel. And don't let anyone tell you that the 3500 rides rougher than the 2500, they ride exactly the same. The difference is the 3500 has an extra spring that only comes into play when you have additional cargo weight.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:03 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
If you are going to be towing that 30Ft in any kind of hilly terrain, you are going to want the diesel in your manufacturer of choice. They will not only give you all the power necessary to climb hills effortlessly but, more importantly, the diesel engine brake will become your best friend on the way down the hills.

I tow a 27FB Int with a 3500 GMC Duramax. I set the cruise at 65 mph and that is what is does up and down the steepest grades without touching a pedal. And there is no 3-4k rpm going on, no matter the grade. Just stable, quiet and comfortable.

If you opt for a diesel, you should strongly consider a 3500 because, as already been said, you are giving up 8-900 lbs of cargo capacity with a diesel. And don't let anyone tell you that the 3500 rides rougher than the 2500, they ride exactly the same. The difference is the 3500 has an extra spring that only comes into play when you have additional cargo weight.

^^ This

Only difference is we ended up with an F350.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:38 PM   #24
Freedom

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfphoto View Post
Because the larger diesel engines are more powerful going up hills.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:45 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New River , Arizona
6,6L Duramax is rated around 435HP and 915 ft/lbs. You’ll never even know you have a trailer back there.
As to the 3/4 vs 1 ton debate if you buy into needing a 1 ton I recommend a single rear wheel setup. Saves on 2 less tires to rotate and replace.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:45 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Port Sanilac , Michigan
My Chevy dealer won’t lease a 2500, only leases 1500. I wanted to lease so I went with the Silverado 1500 6.2l with Max Tow Package. Towed my FC30 35,000 miles so far. No issues. Plenty of payload capacity. Etc. Never towed with. 3/4 ton. Suspect it’s a bit more stable. But, no issues with the 1/2 ton.
pontzdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:38 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Plantation , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontzdav View Post
My Chevy dealer won’t lease a 2500, only leases 1500. I wanted to lease so I went with the Silverado 1500 6.2l with Max Tow Package. Towed my FC30 35,000 miles so far. No issues. Plenty of payload capacity. Etc. Never towed with. 3/4 ton. Suspect it’s a bit more stable. But, no issues with the 1/2 ton.
Good to know. We test drove all the 3/4 ton contenders and decided that while a 1500 6.2L V8 with Max Tow could handle the GT30, we'd prefer the added safety of the 2500 with a big diesel. Of these, we liked the GMC Denali HD the best. Smoothest/quietest ride with good steering/braking feel. The interior of the F-250 Lariat and RAM 2500 Laramie were a bit nicer/more modern, but driveability wasn't as nice (for us). The F-250 was the most truck-like and you really heard and felt the big diesel. The seats, steering wheel and pedals vibrated. The ride was super-stiff. Also, you could feel every shift on the new 10 speed transmission. Yet, I like the Ford interior and seats the best. The RAM was somewhere in between. The ride was almost as stiff, but the engine was smoother. Steering felt disconnected and mushy, which made us a little nervous. I also wasn't a fan of the bed design on the RAM. No easy way up.

The GMC is very well thought out with regards to functionality. Four corner steps up into the bed, two behind the cab, two on the rear bumper, plus the ingenious pro tailgate with a built-in step. The trailering tech in the GMC is top-notch and there are so many cameras and views. The ride was the most comfortable even if the seats weren't as nice as Ford's. The dash layout is a bit blocky and meh compared to the other two. But, there's tons of legroom and it's still plenty comfortable. The Duramax and Allison transmission are both well-regarded and proven workhorses. Also, we like the GMC outer styling the best, by far. Would I have liked the 12-inch touchscreen from the RAM, the seats from the Ford, or the adaptive cruise control from anything else? Sure. But ultimately, we're going for the Denali because driving and trailering are the most important to us.

And, like you, we are also leasing. GM financial has some insane lease special right now with 1.29% APR. Along with the insanely high residual value, our monthly payment will be roughly half that if we put more money down and financed. Not being full-timers, or needing this vehicle as a daily driver, 12,000 miles/year should be plenty.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:53 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Good to know. We test drove all the 3/4 ton contenders and decided that while a 1500 6.2L V8 with Max Tow could handle the GT30, we'd prefer the added safety of the 2500 with a big diesel. Of these, we liked the GMC Denali HD the best. Smoothest/quietest ride with good steering/braking feel. The interior of the F-250 Lariat and RAM 2500 Laramie were a bit nicer/more modern, but driveability wasn't as nice (for us). The F-250 was the most truck-like and you really heard and felt the big diesel. The seats, steering wheel and pedals vibrated. The ride was super-stiff. Also, you could feel every shift on the new 10 speed transmission. Yet, I like the Ford interior and seats the best. The RAM was somewhere in between. The ride was almost as stiff, but the engine was smoother. Steering felt disconnected and mushy, which made us a little nervous. I also wasn't a fan of the bed design on the RAM. No easy way up.

The GMC is very well thought out with regards to functionality. Four corner steps up into the bed, two behind the cab, two on the rear bumper, plus the ingenious pro tailgate with a built-in step. The trailering tech in the GMC is top-notch and there are so many cameras and views. The ride was the most comfortable even if the seats weren't as nice as Ford's. The dash layout is a bit blocky and meh compared to the other two. But, there's tons of legroom and it's still plenty comfortable. The Duramax and Allison transmission are both well-regarded and proven workhorses. Also, we like the GMC outer styling the best, by far. Would I have liked the 12-inch touchscreen from the RAM, the seats from the Ford, or the adaptive cruise control from anything else? Sure. But ultimately, we're going for the Denali because driving and trailering are the most important to us.

And, like you, we are also leasing. GM financial has some insane lease special right now with 1.29% APR. Along with the insanely high residual value, our monthly payment will be roughly half that if we put more money down and financed. Not being full-timers, or needing this vehicle as a daily driver, 12,000 miles/year should be plenty.
A slight word of caution for the 2500 Denali Duramax. Because of the diesel and that the Denali is loaded to the hilt with options, the payload is not great. I have seen 1/2 tons with more payload. We went with the 3500 Denali for this reason. Almost the same price and the ride is the same as the 2500 as well.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:05 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My first question would be, "Do you plan to keep the BMW as a daily driver?
That would impact my decision. If yes, I'd get a 3/4 ton, gas. Ford.
If no, then I'd look at the 1/2 ton Fords with the eco-boost(?) engine, or a 5.7 Tundra with tow package. ( I tow my 26 with a Tundra and never wished for more power. )
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:03 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Plantation , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
A slight word of caution for the 2500 Denali Duramax. Because of the diesel and that the Denali is loaded to the hilt with options, the payload is not great. I have seen 1/2 tons with more payload. We went with the 3500 Denali for this reason. Almost the same price and the ride is the same as the 2500 as well.
According to the GMC site, a Denali 2500HD with Crew Cab, Standard Bed and Duramax, the Max Payload rating is 3563 lbs which is not much less than the gas version at 3760 lbs. A 1/2 ton Sierra SLT with Max Tow was only 2,213 lbs payload with 6.2L gas. Seeing a 3500 lb payload rating with a 1000 lb tongue weight and a family of three, I think we should have plenty of leeway with the 2500HD.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:04 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Plantation , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
My first question would be, "Do you plan to keep the BMW as a daily driver?
That would impact my decision. If yes, I'd get a 3/4 ton, gas. Ford.
If no, then I'd look at the 1/2 ton Fords with the eco-boost(?) engine, or a 5.7 Tundra with tow package. ( I tow my 26 with a Tundra and never wished for more power. )
Yes, we're keeping the BMW.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:47 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
According to the GMC site, a Denali 2500HD with Crew Cab, Standard Bed and Duramax, the Max Payload rating is 3563 lbs which is not much less than the gas version at 3760 lbs. A 1/2 ton Sierra SLT with Max Tow was only 2,213 lbs payload with 6.2L gas. Seeing a 3500 lb payload rating with a 1000 lb tongue weight and a family of three, I think we should have plenty of leeway with the 2500HD.
I can guarantee you that there is no such truck. Never believe the brochures or the salesman regarding weight capacities and particularly cargo capacities. Each truck has its own payload sticker either on the driver's door jamb or in the glove box. This is the number you need to pay attention to. Believe me, I looked at numerous truck stickers before I found one suitable. My 3500 Denali had the highest one I could find and its payload is just over 3300 lbs. Most similarly equipped 2500 Denali's were significantly less, like a 1000 lbs. Look at the cargo capacity sticker of the truck you are thinking of buying before signing on the dotted line. Do NOT believe any of the numbers in the brochures.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:58 PM   #33
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
New TV for Globetrotter 30RB

Quote:
According to the GMC site, a Denali 2500HD with Crew Cab, Standard Bed and Duramax, the Max Payload rating is 3563 lbs which is not much less than the gas version at 3760 lbs.

Maybe that’s the new 2020 with higher payload..... but be careful going by the marketing. The duramax adds 800lbs to the front end. I have a 2017 Denali HD diesel 2500. Payload on the door sticker is just at ~2,000 lbs and verified by cat scales - base weight of the pre-2020 gmc 2500 HD Denali is ~8,000 lbs with 10,000 GVWR.

If you go by axle ratings the payload is about 1,000 lbs higher, but legally your are supposed to run by the door sticker. I run about 10,250 - 10,500lbs fully loaded with trailer attached but am still well within GAWR front and rear. Truck rides level and no problems. Only difference with the 3500 is an additional leaf in the rear and 18” tires that have higher weight rating. The additional leaf adds an additional 800lbs of capacity on the rear axle.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:46 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Plantation , Florida
FWIW, I just checked the specs on the 2019 Denali 2500HD and the 2020 definitely saw a decent bump in the hauling capabilities. The 2019 has a GVWR of 10,000lbs and a max cargo weight of 2,513lbs. The 2020 jumps 1,000lbs to 3,563lbs with a GWWR of 11,350lbs. These numbers are for standard bed crew cab with diesel for each model year Denali trim.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #35
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Exceeding 10,000 GVWR can add additional annual costs in licensing, registration, and taxes based on your local laws. Something to keep in mind.
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:18 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
If you want to take some of the harshness out of 2500 consider some Sulatic Shock Absorber shackles. They are very effective and will improve ride quality quite a bit, but since they absorb so much energy, they will eventually wear out and need to be replaced. Your decision process seems very sound BTW.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:58 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Plantation , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
If you want to take some of the harshness out of 2500 consider some Sulatic Shock Absorber shackles. They are very effective and will improve ride quality quite a bit, but since they absorb so much energy, they will eventually wear out and need to be replaced. Your decision process seems very sound BTW.
Thanks. Based on suggestions in another thread, I'm looking at the AirSafe Class V with a WD/Anit-Sway system. Seems to really smooth out the ride and reduce strain on the trailer.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:54 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I had a 1/2 ton gas and now have a 3/4 ton diesel.

The diesel is more expensive (although you get most of that back when you trade) gets much better mpg but fuel and maintenance cost is higher. The diesel pumps also serve trucks which makes it easy to maneuver. The gas 1/2 ton would rev to 4k rpm's plus when pulling hard (did well but was annoying). The diesel runs at 1550 rpm's at 65 mph almost constantly. The diesel has an engine brake which is helpful on long steep hills.

But a lot of people like the gassers and are happy and that is perfectly fine with me. That's why they make both!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:19 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New River , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Exceeding 10,000 GVWR can add additional annual costs in licensing, registration, and taxes based on your local laws. Something to keep in mind.

Yep, here in AZ I was told 1 ton trucks are commercial registrations which is very expensive. It never effected me as I only need a 3/4 ton, but if needed I could add the extra spring and make sure the tires are weight rated for a cheapo 1 ton.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:13 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Fredericksburg , VA
New TV for Globetrotter 30RB

Yes the 2020 GM’s 3/4 and 1 ton have very good payload numbers even with the diesel, Ford has done the same for 2020. My F350 Platinum diesel srw has a payload off 4500lbs. I was shocked when I saw my door sticker at delivery.
Downhill502 is offline   Reply With Quote