Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2021, 09:06 PM   #61
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Oakland , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etisdude View Post
Just ordered a new Silverado 3500 HD diesel 4x4 LWB for $1,000 BELOW MSRP. Considering the market, I was satisfied. I found the Internet sales manager, showed him what I wanted, told him what I’d pay, and he said OK. Build starts Monday.
That's a good get, for sure. Mind sharing how long the build time might be?
mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:57 PM   #62
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Toyota is cutting worldwide production 40% because of shortages.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:33 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantooth View Post
That's a good get, for sure. Mind sharing how long the build time might be?
Not the GM...

My Ford F-250 dates:
  1. Ordered: July 12 (confirmation email from Ford mothership on the same day)
  2. Build started: August 23 or earlier
  3. Build completed: August 26
  4. Shipped: August 31
  5. Expected at dealership near Austin: September 12 to September 18
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:58 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
As a Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel owner I wouldn't want to think of towing with anything less powerful. It's a big, heavy, stable platform that exudes confidence for the driver and passenger(s). It costs more to buy and maintain and it has better resale value.
There are two camps in this discussion and neither one is wrong, unless it's the guy trying to skirt by with less TV than the job requires.

Rule those folks out and decide where you feel comfortable. Good luck!
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 04:59 PM   #65
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Oakland , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
Not the GM...

My Ford F-250 dates:
  1. Ordered: July 12 (confirmation email from Ford mothership on the same day)
  2. Build started: August 23 or earlier
  3. Build completed: August 26
  4. Shipped: August 31
  5. Expected at dealership near Austin: September 12 to September 18
Thanks for sharing. My 'Stream will arrive in January; it seems like truck dealers I've visited don't quite know up from down. Some say 8 weeks, others selling same brands say 12...craziness.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:57 PM   #66
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thanks for sharing. My 'Stream will arrive in January; it seems like truck dealers I've visited don't quite know up from down. Some say 8 weeks, others selling same brands say 12...craziness.
Hi

I think some dealers have become gun shy. They are adding a couple weeks "just in case". Our F350 was ordered in late March. Initial forecast was early June. It eventually got to us at the end of July.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:04 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I think some dealers have become gun shy. They are adding a couple weeks "just in case". Our F350 was ordered in late March. Initial forecast was early June. It eventually got to us at the end of July.

Bob
OK. Now I’m concerned about delivery.

Bob, When you tracked the status of your truck what did it say?

Click image for larger version

Name:	AB27843D-1C97-4D9B-813D-6330F9A7A47A.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	403141
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:49 AM   #68
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
OK. Now I’m concerned about delivery.

Bob, When you tracked the status of your truck what did it say?

Attachment 403141
Hi

I tracked it a couple times a week. For the first couple months the "into production" date wobbled from mid May back and forth to the start of June. There wasn't much of a pattern.

As it got closer it showed as "into production" the first week of June. It stayed there with the date on the sheet moving a week each week through most of June.

It came out of production and then showed a delivery date range. The furthest out was in mid July. It made it on the train quickly and then sat in the rail yard. Dealer got it right at the end of July.

Bob
Old 09-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #69

2022 20' Basecamp
Center Conway , New Hampshire
Every time I read about TVs I think of the old days

And how far we have improved our TVs since. I remember being in the back seat or up on the rear window deck as a kid and feeling the sway of the trailer. No matter what we tow with today we are safer compared to my childhood. I am sure my 1500 Denali will handle the BC20X we have on order just fine.
keithconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:56 AM   #70
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Oakland , CA
Quote:
Hi

Bob
Understandably so. In the best of times, the manufacturing process can be fraught. How's that F-350 working out for y'all? If you mind sharing, any particular reason you went with the Ford?
Old 09-01-2021, 10:30 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I ordered a Ram 2500 at the end of April and Took delivery
July 13. I've bought several Ram trucks and this was pretty much the normal wait time. Two things I was very happy about were the fact that Ram had given me a $750 customer appreciation certificate that could be used on something other than a 1/2 ton and the dealer discounted the the truck a significant amount off the sticker. I even got the dealer to install a nice set of splash guards gratis. Guess it pays to be a loyal customer and have a 30 year business relationship with a small town dealer.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #72
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Oakland , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
I ordered a Ram 2500 at the end of April and Took delivery
July 13. I've bought several Ram trucks and this was pretty much the normal wait time. Two things I was very happy about were the fact that Ram had given me a $750 customer appreciation certificate that could be used on something other than a 1/2 ton and the dealer discounted the the truck a significant amount off the sticker. I even got the dealer to install a nice set of splash guards gratis. Guess it pays to be a loyal customer and have a 30 year business relationship with a small town dealer.
Heck yeah! That's great to read. The partner and I are amidst a buyback for our Chevy Bolt. The 3/4 tons are all quite good! It's tougher to decide now because there aren't even trucks on the lot to test drive. How's that Ram? Folks say it goes down the road pretty darn smooth.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:10 PM   #73
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
.... How's that F-350 working out for y'all? If you mind sharing, any particular reason you went with the Ford?
Hi

The F350 has done great so far. We no longer are ... umm .... errr ... marginal .. on payload. The other issue was that the 250 simply had become to high off the ground for the wife and dogs to get in and out of easily. Lifting 150 pound dogs in and out of the truck gets old *really* fast. (yes some dogs will use ramps, ours ... not so much ...).

My past experience has been that trading same brand / same brand seems to be the most cost effective way to go. Given the money on the trade in and the discount on the new truck that they gave me, this seemed like the time to do something if we needed to.

I've hopped between Ford and Chevy a number of times over the years. I guess I'm just in a Ford rut right now

My biggest problem when I go shopping is finding a truck I can sit up in. Over the years, we've found a *lot* of them that I bang my head on the roof. Hitting a bump and jamming you neck is no fun. I have data on this .... The current incarnation of the Super Duty body "fits". Yes, that's a very "me centric" sort of criteria.

Bob
Old 09-01-2021, 01:16 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
The other issue was that the 250 simply had become to high off the ground for the wife and dogs to get in and out of easily.
Bob, I have a 2019 250 and also find it excessively tall. I worked around that by speccing the order with the power-deployable running boards, which help the humans a lot (the dogs--not so much).

But you went from a 250 to a 350. I realize they are basically the same truck. Did the 350 get shorter between MY19 and 22?
Old 09-01-2021, 03:52 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post

But you went from a 250 to a 350. I realize they are basically the same truck. Did the 350 get shorter between MY19 and 22?

I have a 19 F350 Platinum FX4. My understanding is the new ones are a couple of inches lower on the FX4. The Tremor adds the height back.

Power running boards really help access for the height challenged. Wife is happy and she’s 5’1”

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:17 PM   #76
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Oakland , CA
Quote:
Hi

The F350 has done great so far. We no longer are ... umm .... errr ... marginal .. on payload. The other issue was that the 250 simply had become to high off the ground for the wife and dogs to get in and out of easily. Lifting 150 pound dogs in and out of the truck gets old *really* fast. (yes some dogs will use ramps, ours ... not so much ...).

My past experience has been that trading same brand / same brand seems to be the most cost effective way to go. Given the money on the trade in and the discount on the new truck that they gave me, this seemed like the time to do something if we needed to.

I've hopped between Ford and Chevy a number of times over the years. I guess I'm just in a Ford rut right now

My biggest problem when I go shopping is finding a truck I can sit up in. Over the years, we've found a *lot* of them that I bang my head on the roof. Hitting a bump and jamming you neck is no fun. I have data on this .... The current incarnation of the Super Duty body "fits". Yes, that's a very "me centric" sort of criteria.

Bob
Not a darn thing wrong your me-centric criteria! It's much appreciated. Ford put together a darn good truck. We really are quite lucky to have such an embarrassment of riches from which to select.

I'm 6'6" (reminder: buy stool for shower!) and my partner is 5'9" or so and stretch into the modern-day trucks is a real thing, even for my tall behind! Your mention of trade-ins perked up my ears. Assuming Chevy completes the buyback of our Bolt, maybe a deal on a Silverado HD could be had? Hmm...
Old 09-01-2021, 06:20 PM   #77
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
Bob, I have a 2019 250 and also find it excessively tall. I worked around that by speccing the order with the power-deployable running boards, which help the humans a lot (the dogs--not so much).

Hi

Ford dropped the "base height" for 2021. How much it came down depends a bit on just where you measure. It varies from about 1" to 1.75 inches.

Going from the 20" tires to the 18" drops it a bit more. No those are *not* the ideal tires for towing. They are focused on mucking in the mud.

We had the power running boards on the 250, they do indeed help with getting in and out. They can be a bit insane in snow / slush conditions. They ice up and go a bit nuts as a result. Not a bit deal, but an inconvenience multiple times each winter.

Again, this is all very much "me me me". I make no claim at all that others should make the same decision or have the same criteria. It works for us and that's what matters to us

Bob
Old 09-04-2021, 06:56 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Flint , Michigan
Tall Truck

I have a Dodge 1500 4x4 w/20” wheels. It is quite tall. I ordered the retractable running boards. They made a huge difference for me and my wife. I don’t go off road much but when I do, I really appreciate that ground clearance. That being said I would not ever get a vehicle any taller than my Ram is now. With Dodge introducing the “Classic” series I see my opportunity to upgrade w/o going to a higher height.
Whamm511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:22 AM   #79
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whamm511 View Post
I have a Dodge 1500 4x4 w/20” wheels. It is quite tall. I ordered the retractable running boards. They made a huge difference for me and my wife. I don’t go off road much but when I do, I really appreciate that ground clearance. That being said I would not ever get a vehicle any taller than my Ram is now. With Dodge introducing the “Classic” series I see my opportunity to upgrade w/o going to a higher height.
Hi

It's not just the door step height that gets you. With the bed "way up in the air" leaning over the side of the truck to grab this or that becomes "exciting" if you are only 6'4". Same thing with lifting hundred pound generators in and out of the back of the truck ....

The rated "ground clearance" was something like 8 or 9" last time I looked. That's not going to get you out and about with the vertical rock wall Jeep guys .... (Yes, off road is about way more than just a ground clearance number. The custom Jeep's win there as well ....).

Bob
Old 09-04-2021, 12:11 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
My reasoning for a diesel truck has more to do with the weight of the truck. I do not like my trailer pushing the truck around. We also live close to the mountains and it is pretty nice to be able to pull up a pass with out straining the truck and using up half a tank of fuel.

Unfortunately I took our Nissan Titan XD Diesel in for some routine maintenance which included some brake work. They were unable to bleed the brakes and had to replace the master cylinder. Apparently we got the last master cylinder in Canada however it was programmed for an armada and they couldn’t get it to work on my truck. We had a family vacation scheduled … A few weeks later my truck still sits there waiting for the part.

Fortunately a local dealer just dropped the price of a slightly used 2020 F350 with low mileage and all the options I was interested in. The only problem was that it had the tremor package and my wife is not too keen on climbing up into a truck. However the power running boards on the tremor drop down quite a bit lower than fixed running boards. Within about four hours we were driving away with the Ford. I couldn’t be happier despite having zero negotiating power.

I headed to the Nissan dealer, transferred all the stuff from my other truck, adjusted the hitch and was loaded and ready to go the next morning. We only lost one day of vacation which necessitated a nine hour travel day. It was a long day and broke many of my travel rules however with adaptive cruise control auto engine brake and the capability of the F350 it was a dream.

Incredibly F350 Has Way better fuel economy than the Nissan. Hopefully when I sell the Nissan I’ll make back some of the premium price I had to pay for the Ford. This truck market is crazy.
Peter C is offline   Reply With Quote