Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2020, 08:10 AM   #21

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

I'm on my third Silverado Duramax. I had an '11, an '18, and just traded for a '20 to get the the new camera system. All have been great Airstream tow vehicles. I always get the the Chevrolet as there are a lot more Chevrolet dealers out there. About twenty years ago I had a brand new GMC Suburban. I needed a warranty repair done. I went to a Chevrolet dealer and was told that I needed to go to a GMC dealer to get any no cost warranty work done.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:10 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbashin View Post
GMC is just a Chevrolet with a sissy kit.
That is F U N N Y

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1921527
islandtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:29 AM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Just researched the '21 Burb, because of the intro of the diesel and independent suspension...🤔
Gross Axle Wt Rating - Front (lbs)
Gross Axle Wt Rating - Rear (lbs)
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating Cap (lbs)
Tire Size P275/50R22
Max towing 7900

Tow rating 7900lbs on P tires and GAWR's of 3600 & 4300lb🤔

No longer offering a Burb that approaches a 2500 rating.

Looks good though...😂
Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:31 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
No longer offering a Burb that approaches a 2500 rating.

If they did, I'd swap my HD pickup in a hurry.

While I tend to think there should be a market for HD full-size SUVs, based on available models it would appear that the auto manufactures do not agree with me. Anecdotally, I have a buddy who sells cars at a local GMC dealer. He tells me that the whole time GMC offered a Yukon 2500, he only ever sold one of them. Apparently, customers selected trucks instead (mostly because they were tens of thousands of dollars less....)
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:42 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
If they did, I'd swap my HD pickup in a hurry.

While I tend to think there should be a market for HD full-size SUVs, based on available models it would appear that the auto manufactures do not agree with me. Anecdotally, I have a buddy who sells cars at a local GMC dealer. He tells me that the whole time GMC offered a Yukon 2500, he only ever sold one of them. Apparently, customers selected trucks instead (mostly because they were tens of thousands of dollars less....)
Just for the fun of it...I priced the Suburban vs Sierra and you are spot on 10k$ difference. Now IMHO being on the road for extended period of time (May-Oct) I would go with the truck...can buy a lot of accessories for the price diff.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:37 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Jacksonville , Arkansas
Think Torque!

If you stay 28' or less, you can go with a 1/2, equipped with trailering package and factor Brake Controller. Be sure to opt for the 6.2L engine. IT has 460lbs torque, the most you can get in a gas engine. Next step up would be the HD Duramax, which needs the DEF supplements. There is a new 6.6 gas, but I don't know how well its working out.
Deeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Los Gatos , California
After 18 years of ownership, I sold my 2002 Duramax 2500HD this spring and replaced it with a 2020 Chevy 1500 High Country 3.0 Duramax diesel. I decided that the old 2500HD was simply more truck than I needed. What I like about the new 1500:
  • Unbelievable gas mileage (over 30 MPG on cruise control on the highway, about 25 MPG running errands in town)
  • The new 3.0 Duramax is smooth and silent, unlike the old 6.6
  • Tows the 25' Safari just fine. It's not as effortless as the old 2500HD, but the 1500 seems way good enough for the job. I am using a weight-distributing hitch now though. The old 2500HD was a beast: I just used plain hitch ball for towing the Airstream.
  • I really like the heads-up display which includes nav and audio system info
  • The camera-based rear view mirror is great. It gives a super wide angle view of what is behind and beside you. I thought it would be a gimmick, and it took a while to get used to, but it is turned on permanentely now.
  • I love all the cameras. Parking is much easier. I have the 'Transparent Trailer' camera on backorder so I can achieve the full GM camera experience! I just wish it would get shipped...
  • The trailer tire air pressure monitors work great! I have had tire trouble in the past so this should add some piece of mind.
  • Great Bose stereo
  • I really like the wireless phone charger. It works great and keeps the phone from flying all over the place on the corners.
  • Heated and cooled seats are nice
  • Power running boards. I thought that these were going to be a goofy gimmick, but it turns out they are really convenient. I especially like the button at the back of the running board that you kick with your foot which extends the running boards further rearwards back so that you can stand on them and reach over the sides into the front of the bed. Or wash the roof, assuming that one did such things.
  • Factory spray-in bed liner, built in bed tie down hooks and LED lighting are all very nice. But the ultimate geezer feature is the power remote control tailgate!
  • I searched around and got one with the two-tone interior. I really like it instead of the standard all-dark.
What is not as awesome:
  • I was expecting more engine braking. The 3.0 Dmax feels like a gas engine in that regard. The old 6.6 Dmax had amazing engine braking. The issue is probably just that the new engine is less than half the displacement. I guess I'll just use more brakes. I replaced the original brakes on the old truck just before I sold it at 215K miles, and they weren't even worn out. If the new brakes are as good as the old ones, they should tolerate some use!
  • The jury is still out on how the rear seats fold up. The load floor is lower but not as perfectly flat as the old truck. The dogs don't seem to mind the new accommodations though and it is easier to get them in and out.
Anyway, so far, so good. I'm really happy with the new machine.
mookiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:15 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Hanover , Pennsylvania
I have had a 2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax and now have a 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax. Number 1 Dislike for both. Chevy has a terrible paint job. Both trucks scratch real easy. Number 2 dislike: Both trucks dented real easy.

My 2008 it cost me $2800 to paint and remove dents.
I bump the pole on my 2020 at the gas station. When I opened the door I released it about and inch away from the post thinking it would not hit, it did. Dented the door.

Rock chips. It like they didn't use any clear coat so paint chips and you see primer.

10 Speed transmission. It will upshift as soon as possible; the 6 speed would only shift at certain speeds.

Like the Duramax engine but wish for more power. The 2020 is a lot more capable then the 2018, but also a lot more weight.

Even though the truck is bigger the Interior seems smaller. We can not put things in the 2020 that we put in the 2018. The center console is smaller.

The more room in the back see is nice, definitely load more behind the front seat.

At least at the camp sites I visit, and I know you don't want to hear about Ford and Ram, The Chevy seems to rust badly. I am hoping this the aluminum body that should not be an issue.
rlyoung1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:21 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake George , Colorado
Doesn't matter. Neither is a Ford!
2MileHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:54 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyoung1952 View Post
I have had a 2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax and now have a 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax. Number 1 Dislike for both. Chevy has a terrible paint job. Both trucks scratch real easy. Number 2 dislike: Both trucks dented real easy.

My 2008 it cost me $2800 to paint and remove dents.
I bump the pole on my 2020 at the gas station. When I opened the door I released it about and inch away from the post thinking it would not hit, it did. Dented the door.

Rock chips. It like they didn't use any clear coat so paint chips and you see primer.
Remind me to never let you borrow my truck!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:56 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
I will wait for the Ford thread, but in the meantime I will echo two recommendations here that are brand agnostic for trucks: a spray-in bedliner and Weathertech branded floor mats (or other accessories).
Old 07-27-2020, 07:26 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Thank you

Thanks everyone for your input...What I learned!

It seems that there are a lot of you out there that have the Duramax, and after checking your bio...most are pulling a little bit bigger trailer than I would. So for me a 1500 6.2 would be my choice.

Also if buying new...just load the sucker up with options ...you only go around once, and if you have more years behind you than if front of you. SPEND IT NOW!

Will post a new thread asking for the Dodge Boys to chime in. Saving Ford for last since they have a "new truck" coming out sometime (with covid who knows).

Old 07-27-2020, 08:17 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtrader View Post

It seems that there are a lot of you out there that have the Duramax, and after checking your bio...most are pulling a little bit bigger trailer than I would. So for me a 1500 6.2 would be my choice.

Also if buying new...just load the sucker up with options ...you only go around once, and if you have more years behind you than if front of you. SPEND IT NOW!

Will post a new thread asking for the Dodge Boys to chime in. Saving Ford for last since they have a "new truck" coming out sometime (with covid who knows).
Correction on my thinking. Maybe the 3.0 Duramax would be the way to go, if I am planning a 10k mile spring summer fall trip. Price is the same. Mileage is better and the cost per gallon is less expensive (6.2 premium ).

Old 07-27-2020, 08:27 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
New Tow Vehicle... Decision Time! GMC/Chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtrader View Post

Just watch the payload number on a loaded 1500. We ended up trading ours cause 1400 lbs wasn’t enough. It was a GMC Sierra AT4. Other than that great truck and plenty of power/torque with the 6.2.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:20 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
Just watch the payload number on a loaded 1500. We ended up trading ours cause 1400 lbs wasn’t enough. It was a GMC Sierra AT4. Other than that great truck and plenty of power/torque with the 6.2.
What he said. Not sure if that 3.0 diesel is heavier than the bigger V8, either. Payload, not towing capacity, is why I switched to a 3/4 ton.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:27 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Agree with Mookie above.
We have a Silverado 1500 6.2 gas ... coming from a 2015 2500 Silverado diesel and before that a 2012 2500 Ram diesel.

Previously, we thought that the 3/4 diesel engine / tranny combo had a definite advantage. However, we LOVE the 1500 both while towing and ... especially when not towing.

We have most of the previously owned diesel advantage except for the exhaust brake when descending (but not the DES or maintenance expense; we had to crawl in once due to depleted DES) but if you pick the right option packages, the new Silverado is the BEST TV we have owned.

Since EPA mandated changes to the diesel engines, fuel economy has dropped (and diesel is no longer cheaper than gas - at least around here).

The TV to AS communications on the New Silverado is AWESOME with not only tire pressure, but also tire temperature on the center display!

We even have the power foot rails / steps that move back to the bed in order to retrieve objects from the front of the lined bed.

Bedside locking / weatherproof tool boxes are in there, too.

Ease of hooking up and apps for more than one trailer ! Many more pluses - grab a brochure and check out the trailering section.

The 1500 Silverado 6.2 more than meets our needs for safety and convenience here in the mountains of Montana.

Phenomenal fuel economy, too!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
ROSWELL , Georgia
I bought a used car for towing my 23ft Safari.It is an ‘08 2500 Suburban mated with a 2500HD Duramax running gear,(Turbocharged 6.6 diesel/Allison 6 sd trans and locker rear),It has all of the tow power and braking safety of a 3/4 t truck,but the lounge-area of a big Suburban.@17 mpg single and 14.9 towing everywhere.8 passenger seating,allows wife to rest in the second seat and my ninety pound puppy to sit in the third row.Its called by the trade name - DuraBurb.Mine was built by Nick Controy in Atlanta of Duramax Specialties-a top notch conversion builder of diesel Suburbans.
Mike & Nancy Gore WBCCI #2914 S E Camping Unit 012 Roswell,Ga.
mikesSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:22 AM   #38
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MileHi View Post
Doesn't matter. Neither is a Ford!
!!
F - Fix
O - Or
R - Repair
D - Daily

F - Found
O - On
R - Road
D - Dead

I love my 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Premium! Pulls the 22FB Sport like butter through Wyoming's elevations!
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:28 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake George , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfate View Post
!!
F - Fix
O - Or
R - Repair
D - Daily

F - Found
O - On
R - Road
D - Dead

I love my 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Premium! Pulls the 22FB Sport like butter through Wyoming's elevations!
You dissin me? Tomorrow. Noon. In front of the brothels on Homestead. (there really are two brothels on homestead in Pahrump. Check it out. lol)
2MileHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #40
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MileHi View Post
You dissin me? Tomorrow. Noon. In front of the brothels on Homestead. (there really are two brothels on homestead in Pahrump. Check it out. lol)
Thursday, 1 pm in front of the crappers in Bill, WY....can't miss it, population 5 and the general store's bathrooms are usually broke so the outside crappers will have a line in front of them :0)
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote