Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Luc
2 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Cape Canaveral , Florida
New to Airstream towing

Hello,
I don't have an Airstream trailer yet but looking for one. Can't afford a new one but I am handy and don't mind working on an old one.
I have a Toyota tundra 2004 V8 limited. I know I should go by weight but does anyone knows what I can tow as far as model length? Any help is appreciated. Any idea where does the best place to find one is?
Thanks.

Luc
Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New to Airstream towing

Greetings Luc!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Hello,
I don't have an Airstream trailer yet but looking for one. Can't afford a new one but I am handy and don't mind working on an old one.
I have a Toyota tundra 2004 V8 limited. I know I should go by weight but does anyone knows what I can tow as far as model length? Any help is appreciated. Any idea where does the best place to find one is?
Thanks.

Luc
So far as Airstream trailer weights, the empty/dry weights vary considerably over the years . . . the older coaches built prior to the 1980s were considerably lighter as they were designed with the intention of being towed by the full-size family car. As pickups and sport utility vehicles became the tow vehicles of choice, Airstreams began gaining weight through adoption of heavier building mateials and higher levels of standard equipment with fewer options.

I am attaching an old pdf file from Airstream that lists the empty/dry weights of most coaches built through around 2000 along with their empty/dry hitch weights. These figures may help your to define your search. Many of us here on the Forums like to take the factory trailer tow weight rating and take 80% of that as a reasonable towing limit for the tow vehicle. Keep in mind that these weights are for a basic standard coach without options, fluids, or any personal possessions. By the time that options, accessories, water, LP gas, and personal possessions are added to the coach, the weight can increase between 1,000 and 2,000 pounds depending upon the owner and size of coach.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

P.S.: If you don't have the owners' manual for your tow vehicle, trailer tow ratings were published by Trailer Life, and these archival documents are (or were) available on their website.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream weights and measures.pdf (100.1 KB, 100 views)
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I pull a 68 Trade Wind with my 01 Tundra 4x4. I have an Equalizer hitch. I pull around 60 MPH. I have found that any faster the tranny downshifts too often on slight grades. 60-62 MPH seems to be the "sweet spot" for my combination. Took a 1200 mile trip in July to the Smokey Mountains and I felt very comfortable pulling the trailer even on the mountain roads. My trailer weighs 4300lb and my truck 5010 lb when ready to camp. I don't think I would want to pull anything any bigger. Remember too that weights listed are for empty trailers and believe me it is easy to add several hundred pounds of gear and water. In other words an Overlander would be just a little too much for this model truck, in my opinion. Yes it would be within the limits and yes the 4.7 would have the power to pull it but personally I would not want to.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Waterloo , Ontario
I pull a 1990 Excella 34' with my Dodge Dakota V8 4WD. I utilize a weight distribution hitch and sway bar.

I had my trailer hitch beefed up and checked by my local AS towing experts - CanAm in London ON.
DEWASSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We tow a 5000 lb loaded Airstream with our 2006 Tundra crew cab 4.7. When we first got it we were advised on this forum it was barely adequate, and in stock form it was not the best. However after a call to Andy Thomson at CanAm RV, who recommended a change of tires on the Tundra and proper hitch adjustment, it is very stable. We also learned that the truck performs best, and with cruise control, by disengaging the overdrive whenever towing. I slow down, and shift down to keep the engine rpms up for climbing steep grades, and for engine braking when descending. The early Tundra's have limited payload capacity so you must keep weights within these limits.

It could probably do well with a little larger Airstream if set up properly, but a lot of this is how and where you drive.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote