Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2008, 05:57 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
I don't know that I would not consider a truck built here in Canada to be foreign made. Canada imports about the same number of vehicles from the US as it produces for the US market. I am not certain about Mexico but it is likely similar. I don't think the same applies to other countries.

The U.S. and Canadian ecomonies are so intertwined that they are pretty much as one. We are each others largest trading partners and neither country can be protectionist against the other without doing damage to itself.

Andrew
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:26 AM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-TUNDRA
At least the Toyota is MADE IN THE USA! I know the big 3 1/2 tons are all made in Mexico and Canada.
This is a not an entirely accurate statement. Not ALL are made in Mexico and Canada.

Take GM for example. The trucks are also made in Indiana, Michigan and Canada. Heavy duty trucks are soley made in the US.

You can see what is made where, here:

GMInsideNews - Factory Guide

The bottom line however, regardless of where built, if you are a FOREGIN company, the profits don't stay in the US.

If you've read reviews lately, you'd also know that Toyota is going through some growing pains and their product portfolio isn't getting top marks as it once did, leading to many more recalls than it's customers have been use to:

Toyota Issues Lexus Recall, as Quality Issues, Lawsuits Mount

What Happened? Lexus and Toyota Both Fall From Grace in Latest JD Power Study - AutoSpies Auto News

BTW, some Toyotas are also made in Canada as well.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:20 AM   #23
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi

Yep! 25FB all right! Yes a non-American truck but aren't they now built here in the USA? Correct if I am wrong. Anyway we like towing with our Tahoe but we just started looking at the Silverado Cummings-Allison.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:49 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Familiar picture ... heavy load behind a 1/2-ton: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...tml#post503188

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #25
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Determining what is an American Truck vs an import can be confusing. My Tundra was made in Texas, but the parent company is in Japan. You could also say that a Dodge is made in America and the parent company is in Germany. With the global economy the way it is, it is a tough call on what is what. Here is a link to a very good article that talks about this very issue.
Automotive News - Made in America

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #26
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
...You could also say that a Dodge is made in America and the parent company is in Germany. ...
Not since last year sometime. Daimler sold 'em and they're private now.

It's a little less confusing if you look at where the administrative and engineering offices are.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
I have to agree with Silvertwinkie. If you buy from a foreign company, you are sending the biggest part of the vehicle's profit somewhere else.

To each his own, but I support the company first, THEN the labor. Sure I'm proud that my Dodge was built in St. Louis, but I would rather support a Mexican worker building an American product than an American worker building a Japanese product. I support the company because I know the company makes the biggest part of the profit and pays the biggest part of the taxes which support the elected officials that the majority of Americans voted on.

You want to talk about American Autoworkers? American Autoworkers are over paid for their skill and education level. That part isn't my opinion, it's a fact. The average GM employee costs GM $65/hour with benefits included. The average RETIRED GM employee costs the company $35/Hour. Due to early retirement options, GM for awhile was paying more retired people than active! I have an uncle that retired from GM making $31/hour as a Janitor! He felt he was worth every bit of that. RIDICULOUS!!! Forgive me if I don't get all teary-eyed when those guys lose their jobs.

I don't care how many jobs Toyota brings to two or three of the thousands of cities in our soveriegnty. I care about the Big Picture of what I know is best for my country. If I chop wood all summer for my neighbor instead of my father, sure I'll get paid for a change, but I'm still going to freeze my a$$ off when winter comes.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:05 PM   #28

Currently Looking...
Cullowhee , North Carolina
I have a 2003 Toyota Sequoia and love it!! I understand getting insulted that Toyota is not "American" but if the American auto companies built and SUV as good as the Sequoia I'd buy it. I am American through and through, what makes us American is the fact that our coutry believes in FREEDOM not turning our noses up at other countries. I will continue to buy Toyota's for their great vehicles and if I could I'd move up to a Mercedes G-Class SUV to tow my 31' Airstream. I loved the commercial and appreciate the fact that Toyota includes something as beautiful as the Airstream in it's commercial. Sorry you were insulted by the commercial...I still feel American in my SUV.
mawall29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:58 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Mawall29, Like I said above,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetedude
To each his own
You don't have to get all defensive when no one here is getting offensive. I don't hold any ill will against anyone for buying a Japanese vehicle. I'm merely stating that I can't in good conscience buy one myself.

You'll have to forgive me if I hold a grudge. When I served in the Navy, I had the distinct honor of actually speaking directly to Pearl Harbor survivors of the USS Arizona during a Pearl Harbor reunion ceremony held on my flight deck in 2002. I no longer have the luxury of ignorance after hearing men describe in intricate detail the horrors they witnessed first hand. One man after another describing macabre scenes that until then my mind couldn't even fathom. After seeing those men break down into tears in front of a crowd of hundreds of people, it becomes difficult for me to line the pockets of a country that would commit such an unprovoked atrocity...no matter how long it's been. These men still mourning, still unable to tell a 60 year old story without still crying. A horrible story of a cowardly sucker punch that Japan to this day still revels as their greatest victory.

That's why I can't bring myself to buy a Toyota, and that's why I'm insulted by the commercial.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:27 PM   #30

Currently Looking...
Cullowhee , North Carolina
Smile I am sorry about the tension

Ben,
Sorry about the tension, I do understand that there are many reasons do be pro American made only about and I am sorry I jumped on your post. I know in a perfect world everyone would just get along (country to country) but unfortunately that doesn't seem to make the world go around. I was just thinking if other countries held a grudge against the US for the mistakes we may have made while thinking they might have been called a victory as well then it gets us all no where. I was not thinking of the individuals and more of a country as a whole. I would hope that other countries would support American products whatever they might be, so that we can move forward in the world as a other countries have. For me not supporting another country would not be moving forward. I respect your point very much and hope I have not offended you or anyone who has fought bravely for this country and my rights. Much appreciated.
Mary-Anne
mawall29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #31

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Mt. Judea , Arkansas
Just curious if Y'all realize how many Chinese parts are used to manufacture your Airstreams? or the components therein. This is a never-ending debate without the possibility of resolution. Each person must justify their purchases on whatever criteria makes them feel good without the risk of someone else belittling them for their choice. It is hard enough to compare things (tow vehicles, trailers etc.) based on what combinations work best without complicating the issue with patriotism.
ZarZac is offline   Reply With Quote