Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2016, 06:36 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Well, you heard from the gang, what say you?

Every time I see a thread on tow vehicle I remember when I posted the same thing and my first few posters said, "oh boy, here we go again." Now I know what they meant.

My advice is to get a vehicle you like THAT ALSO meets the weight requirements without having to have someone attempt to alter the vehicle. That way ALL SYSTEMS, cooling, frame, etc are designed to meet the need. There are two points to check- tow capacity and payload or cargo capacity. Usually the catch point is payload/cargo capacity. Tongue weight is subtracted from that and what is left is for passengers and stuff.
Good points, if it has to be altered, it might not be what you need.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:37 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
I have never heard of a hitch receiver deformation being normal wear and tear. Anyways, its good that you had it checked.

For the record, I have no problem if anyone decides to ignore vehicle towing specifications -- you are free to do what you want to do. What I take issue with is someone recommending others do that based on their personal experience (which clearly is not conclusive/comprehensive). You may do something reckless 1000 times and get lucky 1000 times -- other may get in trouble the first time around. I think there is an unwritten rule (violated by many folks in this forum) that when you make recommendations to others you should be extra cautious to make sure you do not put them in any trouble.
It's a 22'. I don't see any dangerous recommendations in the thread (OK, maybe I wouldn't do the minivan thing). Advice on the internet is worth the price you paid for it. Go see a dealer that specializes in towing and maybe take some RV driving lessons. Don't call your insurance guy and say "what happens if I do THIS?" Talk to actual people with a setup that looks solid. Good luck trying to hold someone on the internet responsible because you screwed up.

When I learned to fly an airplane I got in the seat and practiced. If I followed advice from all the flying forums I wouldn't be an "old pilot".
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote