Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2019, 06:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Imagine a Tahoe with four electrically driven wheels, low center of gravity, abundant torque, (800+ ft-lbs), quick charge of 1/2 hour and 400 miles of towing range......

R1S; coming to a Rivian dealer near you.

GM had better change fast, because the world is leaving them behind.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Agreed, however, unless it has a similar charge network to Tesla, to replace my current 3/4 ton truck with an electric, I can't very well give up on my truck just yet. As a daily driver I do electric/hybrid and love the TCO (post rebates), low maint, but as a tow vehicle, I would love to, but I still have a finite amount of vacation time where I can't spend 45-60 minutes to get 80-90% charge and maybe 250 miles per charge towing. It could add days of travel to a long trip and require a lot more planning. I'm positive it will get there and I will gladly turn in my (physical) keys to my current truck, but until that day comes, I'm stuck at $2.85/gallon and 11mpg towing.

Another point on the startup electric front and Tesla for that matter is repair. I know that Rivian got a good size cash infusion from Ford and I do know that Tesla has nationwide repair centers too, but to go on a long trip out west, and most of the major Tesla repair places are in mostly major metro areas, what happens if you are a few hundred miles from one with your AS in tow? There are a lot more Ford service centers in between as well as mom and pop independents that can service my current truck, getting me back on the road. I just don't know if Tesla, Rivian or anyone else can match that yet, and to me personally that's a major consideration if taking something like this cross country.

As for the Burb, yes, I feel GM is trying to cast a wider net, and GM has positioned the SUVs as a glorified grocery getter with modest tow ability and if you want more, you buy a crew cab pickup. If you have little ones though, a crew cab, in my **opinion** is just not a good alternative.

I agree, GM could have made the 6.6L Duramax/Allison an option, but my guess is that besides adding about $14k to an already high priced vehicle, that fleet CAFE standards may very well have been a consideration as to why they didn't want to put another large engine in a fuel guzzling body...but then I see them come out with a 1 ton fleet only Suburban with less capability on paper than my current 3/4 ton truck and it leave you kinda wondering sometimes the overall rationale and game plan GM has for the SUV line since dropping the 3/4 ton from the line up...and with the 1/2 tonners having a rash of problems with displacement on demand (aka cylinder deactivation), diesel (or eventually electric) is all that more appealing, at least to me in an SUV. In my opinion, for what it's worth, a pickup buyer and SUV buyer are very different, until you get into needing to tow. With cars like the Bolt and now discontinues Volt, those two alone could have boosted the CAFE average enough to get GM a pass by putting the larger 6.6L into at the very least the Suburban, in current 1 ton skin. The diesel Excursion was a wondeful truck, the Suburban could have been too, but I too feel it's fallen a bit short.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:40 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
How does Tesla handle their sales and services? Are there "Tesla dealers". We have Teslas locally but I do not know where there is a dealer. Will there be? Can I walk into a store and buy one or get it towed to a service center? Or do they never break. Can you lease a Tesla?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:33 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Disappointing to see the GM 3.0 Diesel hype and look into the Tahoe/Suburban 'build your own' website and see zero mention of it... It's still the Big-Three Automakers using expensive engine options (that maybe 3-in-10 actually require) to subsidize their R&D for 'everything else'...

I have a 3.0L 4-cylinder Promaster that is tow limited to 5000# only by no true chassis-on-frame construction, they've stamped out a pseudo frame rail that incorporates the cargo area floor as closure to a box beam... I have learned the little industrial diesels are true work horses... 24-30 highway mpg from this ground-bound blimp leaves a smile on my face still!

The IVECO engine in this is 130 kW // 175 hp @ 3,500 rpm & 400 N⋅m // 300ftlbs @ 1,400 rpm - I put 3000lb cargo in it and ran I-95 from DC to WPB for 20.5mpg and still had GCVWR headroom of 3600lb... All while being as steady of a ride I've ever owned.

Yes, I'd love to sneak a nice 21' or 22' AS along behind this van - with the wind shadow of that high roof I'd guess it'd be a complete non-issue!

Anyhow - where the Tahoe/Suburban comes in about now is passenger comfort since the PM requires $20k~ upfitter package charge to carry a third person, nothing from factory... I mean everyone would leap at a chance to ride along on a trip in the Chevy - w/ the van I have a hard time finding company to tag along to WM or the grocery store...
Old 12-17-2019, 01:13 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake George , Colorado
Maybe a tad off topic. But as a 4 Expedition owner who now has a Yukon XL, I'm concerned that the GMC feels "delicate" viv a vis the Fords. I can't imagine towing anything substantial. I'm not alone. Just learned our picky daughter traded her 2017 Yukon XL for a 2019 Navigator. Maybe it's in the genes.
2MileHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:16 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Lake Elsinore , California
Jeep is coming out with a new large SUV similar in size to the Tahoe that will be called the Wagoneer in 2021, and be based on a modified Ram 1500 chassis. I read one article about it that said Jeep is also working on an even larger Grand Wagoneer, that would later follow the Wagoneer and be based on the beefier Ram 2500 chassis and be Suburban sized. Given the availability of the legendary Cummins diesel in the Ram 2500, it would not be a surprise to see this engine as an option in the Grand Wagoneer.
safaridave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Okc , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
...you may have finally gotten your wish. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but I guess it's a start.

https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...e-and-suburban

GMC's latest Duramax Diesel 6.6-liter V-8, available in the Sierra HD heavy-duty pickup trucks, provides plenty of pulling power. ... Even our smaller Duramax Diesel, the 2.8-liter turbo-diesel four-cylinder available in the GMC Canyon, offers 369 lb-ft of torque at 2000 rpm.
It is rated at an SAE-certified 277 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque delivering 95 percent of peak torque at just 1,250 rpm. Peak torque is sustained from 1,500 rpm through 3,000 rpm, providing a powerfully smooth and satisfying driving experience. The 3.0L Duramax is paired with GM’s 10L80 10-speed automatic transmission, featuring a centrifugal pendulum absorber torque converter that reduces vibrations to improve smoothness, reinforcing its performance, efficiency and refinement. This combination also offers exhaust braking, which uses the diesel engine’s compression to help slow the vehicle, requiring fewer brake applications by the driver when in Tow Haul mode.

not for me either.
LeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #27
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by safaridave View Post
Jeep is coming out with a new large SUV similar in size to the Tahoe that will be called the Wagoneer in 2021, and be based on a modified Ram 1500 chassis. I read one article about it that said Jeep is also working on an even larger Grand Wagoneer, that would later follow the Wagoneer and be based on the beefier Ram 2500 chassis and be Suburban sized. Given the availability of the legendary Cummins diesel in the Ram 2500, it would not be a surprise to see this engine as an option in the Grand Wagoneer.
The upcoming Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer are both reported to be built on the Ram 1500 platform. Grand may refer to longer (like the Expedition Max) or more luxurious (like the Lincoln version of the Expedition), or both. Both are reported to offer plug in hybrid Powertrain options. No info yet on if the 3.0 diesel will be offered, or if the plug in hybrids will be the fuel efficiency offerings.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:42 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
You can buy a nice retrofit from Duraburb.
Duraburb, yes! However, $125k ??
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:04 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Priced like an airstream...
Old 04-10-2021, 03:51 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
More info... and questions answered.

Yes, it's only one road test, but it is one about hauling a trailer (just not quite an Airstream!)

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...diesel-review/
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote