RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-21-2021, 01:12 PM   #41

Currently Looking...
Hamburg , Pennsylvania
Ram TV diesel/ rear air bags

I have the ram 2500 diesel with rear air ride. I love the fuel mileage of 19 to 21 without the trailer. With the trailer, 11 to 14. All depends on your speed and terrain. The air ride is terrific! Plenty of power. It depends on your preference. Ford, Dodge, GM. I think they all are nice but Iím sold on the Cummins. Good luck and safe travels in whatever TV you purchase!
donnyhosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:03 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Lake Elsinore , California
Some good friends we regularly camp and boondock with recently went through the episode of replacing their beloved F150 as they moved up from an older 22ft AS to a 2019 25ft GT. The tongue weight increased enough to justify going to one of the 2500 heavy duty pickups and they drove and examined each one from Ford, GM and Ram. After much thought and endless number crunching,
they ended up with a new 2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab with the 6.4L gas motor due to its payload advantage over the diesel. This combination with its coil rear spring suspension gives a very smooth ride that is on par with their old F150 and is very comfortable especially when not pulling the AS during around town driving. The 6.4L motor has all the power they will ever need when pulling the AS and gas mileage is very close to their old F150 that had a 5.0L V8. The interior of the Laramie package is what made the frosting on the cake for them. They remarked that both the Ford and GM interiors were dark and drab, using black as the predominant interior color whereas the Ram had a very attractive medium saddle/light tan interior.
safaridave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:41 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Lithia , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadagain View Post
I'm in the final stages of selecting my new TV. I've just purchased a new 30RBT International that will arrive early June. I've settled on a new Ram Limited Mega Cab with Ram Boxes...now the final choice... to go with 2500 and the Hemi or 3500 with the standard Cummins and do I add the Air Leveling suspension (does it improve your ride quality). For the next 3 years before I retire I will be towing the Airstream about 20-25 days a year and the remaining time this will be my daily driver. So the choices I have (they are good choices) do I:

1. Spend the extra 10K on the Cummins...is it worth the $$$,

2. Will the Air Suspension improve ride quality...anyone with first had experience with this option please let me know your thoughts

3. Is the ride quality unloaded for everyday driving better on the 2500 to justify going with the Hemi.

I"m towing in the eastern part of the country for the next three years so I won't have the big mountain rocky challenges.

Please let me know if you have first had experience with this rig in a 3500 Cummins or 2500 Hemi and how its daily personality is and how it handles the work towing the Airstream.

I have the Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel. Daily driver. I work and tow as much as you. 2019 FC25FBT. Glad truck has rear view mirror because thatís the only way I know itís back there. Including when off-road and backing airstream in a farmers pasture. My advise: buy whatís gonna do the job on that one time you really need a real truck.
Scopet563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:35 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
When I was towing, I did over 70,000 miles with three Airstreams, the last one a 2015 30í rear bed with the lounge chairs in front. My TV was a 2008 Ram/Cummins 2500 4x4 Crew Cab long bed, with added auxiliary air bags in rear. Went across the Rockies six times with no problems. The Ram had a total fuel capacity of about 90 gallons with a 60 gallon tank in the bed, so I could pull all day and choose where I bought fuel. Had over 130,000 miles when I sold it.
I also pulled my first Airstream, a 25í model with my 2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo which had over 450 ft. Lbs. torque, but was a horrid TV, getting 11 or 12 mpg and a relatively small fuel tank.
If you can afford a new Airstream match it up with a loaded up Ram 2500 Cummins, the longer the better IMO.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:52 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Tampa , Florida
Diamondback cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdavey View Post
Diesel vs Gas is almost equivalent to the the threads on hitches Everyone has an opinion.

My Experience:

We have both a 2005 Dodge Power Wagon 2500 with a 5.7L and a 2019 Ram Power Wagon 2500 with a 6.4L gas engine. Neither of my trucks have air suspension and I have thought about adding it because the Power Wagons have a softer rear-end but I really donít need it. It is a luxury.

We have towed our 2020 27 ft Airstream Globetrotter with both and both are serviceable and work.

The 2019 with the 6.4L and 8 Speed transmission is hands above the 5.7 with the 5 speed transmission but I would say the big difference is the rear gearing. The 4.10 gears in the 2019 Ram make a huge difference when towing.

If you are using your truck as a daily driver and donít work in an industry where you need to carry a heavy load, you are likely better off going with a gas engine. We have never been anywhere across the country where either of our 2500ís couldnít get the job done.

We carry with a bed load of things with us along with towing and have never had a problem.

On gas mileage, you likely will get better gas mileage with a diesel on long trips, but seriously the small incremental benefit you get likely insít going to be cost efficient long term. But lets be completely honest if we are buying a truck and an airstream are we really worried about gas mileage?

If you were buying a 5th wheel or toy hauler I would recommend the diesel but the airstream will work fine with the 6.4L

On the Ram Boxes - They are life changing for carrying your towing gear and things you need for set up and breakdown. In my 05 I had a truck box and it was a pain. I love the Ram Boxes on the 2019.

Someone had mentioned a cover for the back and options being limited for the Ram Boxes. That is true that you wonít be able to pick something up off the shelf locally, but there are quite a few folks making them now.

We went with something a bit more heavy duty with the diamond back cover. Very light weight and tough. You can carry a motorcycle or ATV on top of it if needed. We attached bike racks to carry the bikes or kayaks.

One last note on the mega cab vs the crew cab. Not sure how many people you are carrying on a normal basis but the crew cab on the newer models is much bigger then the previous models and we can carry 4 adults and gear or 2 adults and 3 children with room to spare or 2 adults and tons of gear in the back seats.

Lastly, you wonít go wrong with whatever you choose and you will love the ram paired with the Airstream.
I also have a Diamondback cover on my 2019 quad cab. This is my 2nd Diamondback cover, the 270 model. My 1st one was on my 2017 crew cab with Ramboxes. Diamondback does accommodate the Rambox configuration. Great bed covers.
My question is your installation of the bike rack on the cover. Iíve toyed with the idea, but concerns were possible vision impairment, getting the bikes up and off , stability and finally, the inability to access the covers while in travel mode. Very interested in your experience. Oh, I hate the thought of drilling holes in the Diamond back, but it would nice to be able to bring the bikes, since the Airstream isnít supposed to carry a sizable load off the rear.
Any information is appreciated.
Coopdejour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:22 PM   #46
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdejour View Post
I also have a Diamondback cover on my 2019 quad cab. This is my 2nd Diamondback cover, the 270 model. My 1st one was on my 2017 crew cab with Ramboxes. Diamondback does accommodate the Rambox configuration. Great bed covers.

My question is your installation of the bike rack on the cover. Iíve toyed with the idea, but concerns were possible vision impairment, getting the bikes up and off , stability and finally, the inability to access the covers while in travel mode. Very interested in your experience. Oh, I hate the thought of drilling holes in the Diamond back, but it would nice to be able to bring the bikes, since the Airstream isnít supposed to carry a sizable load off the rear.

Any information is appreciated.
I used the Yakima track kit to install with their plus nuts.

Split the track in two sections and put on the front and back panels.

With two bikes I can access the rear or back panels with a little effort and a helper to hold the panel up while I access stuff.

When we have 4 bikes on there it is much more difficult to access without putting the back down but can be done. The wheels articulate enough to allow the panel to go up and down.

That said we have 4 mountain bikes on there.

4 hybrid or road bikes that are lighter probably wouldn't be an issue. I may get the Fiamma bike carrier for two bikes in the future and have the other two on the diamond back when we carry 4 (only some of the time) but then again I may not . Not sure it is worth the cost. Potentially adding a bed slide would be better.

The install was fairly straightforward. I used sealent on all the plus nuts and stainless steel screws so I have not had any water infiltration.

Here are a few pics of the rack installed.

It was a great add and generally there are no sight issues. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210222_131815.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	389233Click image for larger version

Name:	20210222_131426.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	389234Click image for larger version

Name:	20210222_131452.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	389235Click image for larger version

Name:	20210222_131509.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	389236
pdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:19 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Tampa , Florida
Smile

Quote:

With two bikes I can access the rear or back panels with a little effort and a helper to hold the panel up while I access stuff.

When we have 4 bikes on there it is much more difficult to access without putting the back down but can be done. The wheels articulate enough to allow the panel to go up and down.

4 hybrid or road bikes that are lighter probably wouldn't be an issue. I may get the Fiamma bike carrier for two bikes in the future and have the other two on the diamond back when we carry 4 (only some of the time) but then again I may not . Not sure it is worth the cost. Potentially adding a bed slide would be better.

The install was fairly straightforward. I used sealent on all the plus nuts and stainless steel screws so I have not had any water infiltration.

It was a great add and generally there are no sight issues. Attachment 389233Attachment 389234Attachment 389235Attachment 389236
I appreciate your taking the time to pass on the information. Great application, and a neat installation job. I will check out Yakima, we are currently researching electric assist bikes, so looking at approximately 60lbs each, give or take a few pounds. Specifically the folding variety with 20Ē wheels. On the 270 model, the front park of the cover is two pieces that open like a butterfly. The tailgate portion opens like yours.
Thanks 😊
Coopdejour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:54 PM   #48
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
On electric bikes my GF has a Trek Powerfly. Great bike and highly recommend.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:26 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream310
Lilburn , Georgia
"1. Spend the extra 10K on the Cummins...is it worth the $$$," The RAM 2500 with the Cummins is a fantastic choice. As to its' 'worth' that is a very personal question and is based on too many factors to go into here. BUT, if you want a solid truck to pull that trailer without any concerns for drive train issues, this unit is for you. A friend of mind just purchased a '14 model 2500 with the Cummins and it is a HOSS. BUT, the thing that surprised me about the unit was the exceptionally well mannered handling when running empty. Very well behaved and not so harsh and bumpy as many 2500/3500 can be. If you get this unit you will never know the trials and tribulations of owning a lesser truck. And THAT is a good thing.
DubleDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:26 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Erie , Pennsylvania
RAM 2500 cummins payload numbers

Great info here, As I am also in the same situation as the OP and I lean more toward a 2500 cummins, Can those of you that have a 2500 cummins please post the door sticker Payload weight numbers. I've heard some say the capacity is not much more than a 1500 hemi and to get the hauling capacity (?700-800lb? less for the diesel) you need to get the 3500. I would like to put a fiberglass cap/topper on the bed which I would then need to subtract from the payload number. Thank you for any real world info you can provide.
Rick & Becky #28279
2018 FC27FBQ
2018 RAM 1500
KD3OBX 146.520
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:52 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdzl View Post
Great info here, As I am also in the same situation as the OP and I lean more toward a 2500 cummins, Can those of you that have a 2500 cummins please post the door sticker Payload weight numbers. I've heard some say the capacity is not much more than a 1500 hemi and to get the hauling capacity (?700-800lb? less for the diesel) you need to get the 3500. I would like to put a fiberglass cap/topper on the bed which I would then need to subtract from the payload number. Thank you for any real world info you can provide.
2500 is plenty....the 3500 adds one more leaf spring...new 2500s use coil springs..our 17 4x4...crew cab.3:54 gears does a good job..coast to coast with a13 31í Classic :
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:39 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
San Francisco , California
The door sticker on mine has payload at 2023.
XCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:03 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Quote:

It was a great add and generally there are no sight issues. Attachment 389233Attachment 389234Attachment 389235Attachment 389236

I have the same setup - works great for hauling 4 bikes and still have room for generator and other camp stuff while keeping that gear secure under a roll up bed cover.

My 2013 RAM 2500 6.7 gets 13-14 towing and as high as 16 on longer flat sections. 19-21 unloaded - I prefer it for long distance trips. The range is 450-600 miles on a tank - just excellent for long hauls.

Other benefits- exhaust brake is great for mountain passes, and torque means I can maintain speed on steeper grades with a full payload. The engine is fantastic. Iíve appreciated the ability to climb steeper grades without having to gas it hard or switch to 4wd to maintain traction.

The maintenance costs arenít silly if you change your own filters and fluids. About $180 every 10k miles for synthetic oil and filters including fuel filters. DEF is a non issue if you fill up using pumps at truck stops.

Donít decide solely on the cost/efficiency- itís really about many other benefits of a diesel. Factor in efficiency and much higher resale and itís a wash.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:50 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadagain View Post
. . . do I:
1. Spend the extra 10K on the Cummins...is it worth the $$$,
2. Will the Air Suspension improve ride quality...anyone with first had experience with this option please let me know your thoughts
. . . .
I have a 3500 Cummins Dually Diesel with Air Suspension pulling an FC25'RBQ. The air suspension only acts to lower the trailer rear 1" for aerodynamics. My AS barely weighs enough to allow that feature to operate. I would not call the ride harsh at all. I've heard the leaf spring rear suspension on the 1 tons is actually more forgiving than the coil spring rear's on the 3/4 ton Rams.

The extra $$$ for the Cummins is really difficult to answer honestly. People here through a lot of statistics around about the financial trade off's involved. I like having plenty of power for the uphill's and having a variable (automatic) exhaust brake for the downhills. If you don't pop coin for the diesel, I'm sure you will more than happy with tow/haul and an HD gas engine.

Everyone comes at engine selection with a set of biases and preferences. It's a hard call to make if you want to be 100% rational. Then again, I've rarely enjoyed decisions that are 100% rational. Full disclosure, I'm a retired marine engineer with 20+ years experience involving EOM (ie running and working on big diesels). So for me the Cummins was the #1 choice based on engine design.

If you are buying new diesel truck, buy the standard duty model and be sure it comes fitted with a Bosch CP3 fuel pump, not the self destructing CP4.X that most of the engine manufactures doubled down on these last few years. If you are buying a diesel for HP/torque bragging rights, you are already starting out with the wrong perspective. Standard Output Cummin's will get it done with plenty of spare power to tow pretty much any travel trailer out there.
Specsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:08 AM   #55
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Eugene , Oregon
fuel costs

One thing I have not heard in this thread is the cost of fuel. I have had a 3500 Cummings for over 250,000 miles and currently have a Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi
My real world fuel economy is about the same when not towing and about 3 to 4 mpg less with the gas engine when towing.
In California I have seen the cost of diesel fuel range from the cost of regular to over a $1 a gallon more. Currently it is about the same as premium.
Robmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:16 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
Brentwood , California
I have had two RAM 2500's. A 2012 and a 2014 both Laramie's. Great looking trucks and both with Cummins 6.7's. Rode super nice and interiors were upscale. However, they were great till they weren't. The first one was in the shop all the time. When a Chrysler factory service rep could not fix it they bought it.

We ordered a 2nd one. Then there was a recall on the frame mounts which required some install / welding work. The 2nd one was also in the shop for repairs frequently, electronics, failed water pumps, 3 electronic head units and lots of other stuff. The crowning moment was coming back from Death Valley when the track bar came loose due to incorrect procedures on the frame weld recall. Fortunately we were nearly home when it started to fail.

Both trucks had low miles 65K on the first one around 46K on the 2nd.

We moved on to a 2018 F250 Lariat with every option, Its been in the shop once when the satellite radio failed. While the new RAMS are great looking and I'm hearing they have improved the quality, I would at least take a peak at the Ford. We pull our 2020 International 27FBT with the Ford - zero issues pulls like a dream and rides great.

We always follow all service procedures so the RAMS were never neglected. Not sure regarding the quality issues on the RAMS as our Grand Cherokee has been great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0299.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	604.3 KB
ID:	389447   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0488.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	500.1 KB
ID:	389448  

2015 Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel
hobbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:50 PM   #57
1 Rivet Member

2021 23' Flying Cloud
New Orleans , LA
Go with the Cummins!

Just upgraded from a 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi to a 2500 Cummins and towing with the Cummins is a dream. Wouldnít go above 62 with the 1500 but got on the highway for my first tow this afternoon and was cruising at 70 without feeling a thing. Barely broke 1600 rpms going 65 up a bridge incline.

Look forward to my first real trip with the 2500 as my stress when towing will be much decreased. Definitely worth the $9k in my book.
2021 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
New to the airstream adventures and a pleasure so far!
dmc2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:29 PM   #58
1 Rivet Member

2021 23' Flying Cloud
New Orleans , LA
Payload

To answer your Q re payload ad: 2200 for a 2500 big horn crew cab. I think nicer packages and options decrease payload but the big horn is great for us.
2021 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
New to the airstream adventures and a pleasure so far!
dmc2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:36 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Ingleside , Illinois
We have a 2020 30' International Serenity RB Twin. We use a 2020 Ram Limited 2500 MegaCab with the 6.4 Hemi and a 4.10 Limited slip rear end with the air suspension for our tow vehicle. I can tell you that I have experienced zero issues towing in the flats or over grades. Last fall we did the Smokies and the Ram towed like a dream. I do recommend the 4.10 rear end. Also the Air Suspension is great and makes hitching up a breeze (we use a blue ox equalizing anti-sway hitch with 1500 lbs bars). I tow using the alternate trailer height setting. You don't need a diesel for what you are towing. That said, the Cummins is a great engine. However with the MegaCab and diesel I think you lose too much payload with the 2500. I would go 3500 with the diesel. Just note, the ride on the 3500 will be much more jarring. The 2500 with the Hemi and Air Suspension is a great ride, perfect for use as a daily driver when not towing. Also, the air suspension in the 3500 is very different from the air suspension in the 2500. I attached a pic of our setup. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2014.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	389910  
JohnandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:27 AM   #60
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandDonna View Post
We have a 2020 30' International Serenity RB Twin. We use a 2020 Ram Limited 2500 MegaCab with the 6.4 Hemi and a 4.10 Limited slip rear end with the air suspension for our tow vehicle. I can tell you that I have experienced zero issues towing in the flats or over grades. Last fall we did the Smokies and the Ram towed like a dream. I do recommend the 4.10 rear end. Also the Air Suspension is great and makes hitching up a breeze (we use a blue ox equalizing anti-sway hitch with 1500 lbs bars). I tow using the alternate trailer height setting. You don't need a diesel for what you are towing. That said, the Cummins is a great engine. However with the MegaCab and diesel I think you lose too much payload with the 2500. I would go 3500 with the diesel. Just note, the ride on the 3500 will be much more jarring. The 2500 with the Hemi and Air Suspension is a great ride, perfect for use as a daily driver when not towing. Also, the air suspension in the 3500 is very different from the air suspension in the 2500. I attached a pic of our setup. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Nice setup