Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2021, 12:31 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
Seems to be the new normal

My previous TV was a 2010 F-250 which often would sit for weeks or a month or more and never had a battery issue. Replaced with a 2015 F-150 and first time, I thought I must have left something on, second was sure I had a bad battery. Service told me that's the new normal and internet search seems to confirm phantom battery drain for all the electronic goodies affects all or most newer TVs to some significant degree. My final solution was to set a roll-over calendar reminder to run an errand no less often than two weeks in the truck. Also bought a charger that will top off phones, USB lighting, laptop 125v charger, AND will jump start my truck. Halo Bolt charger for $99 from Amazon makes starting the truck a bonus because when power was out for over 3 days this winter in Oregon's ice storm, it was a life saver. My model is mid-range in terms of amount of charge held, sufficient for me, but larger units are available.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:55 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
So the tech was wrong when he said "this is common on newer vehicles"? I'm shocked!

I just hate when service people try to tell you that "they all do this" when they can't really explain what the cause of a problem is. Grrrr.

Anyway, best of luck to the OP and I hope the software update resolves the problem.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
'18 F 150, can sit for 2 weeks in the winter, never an issue. Doubt a new battery will solve the issue. Software patch sounds the way to go.
Couple of Subaru models do the same, my friend is on his 3 rd battery with no fix.
Keep us posted, good luck.
Agree with finding a new dealer and tech.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenkelley View Post
Thanks so much for all of those who have weighed in on this.....the diversity of expertise on this site is priceless. I'm going to follow the advice to take it back to the dealer, request a new battery and have them do the software update that
azflycaster recommended. If the dealer cannot verify that this was the source of the problem, they will need to find the source of the battery drain.
Were you able to get an appointment ASAP?

Thanks.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:06 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
An appointment this week perhaps?

Thanks.

Old 04-21-2021, 09:19 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Sonoma , California
Many years back, we bought a new Honda for our daughter for graduation. It sat for a few days and the battery was dead when I went to deliver it to her. Since we weren't driving it and wasn't outside near it at night, we did not notice that one interior light was on. Easy to miss in the daylight and I had to look carefully to find it once the car was started as it was in the back (and it was still daylight). However, it sounds like azflycaster might have the answer to your issue. Good luck.
chipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:06 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Our 2019 Silverado Chevy sits for weeks at a time without being used and it has never had a battery replaced.

Only time in our lives we've had the dead battery problem is when our tow vehicle had an alternator issue. On one trip (everything had been fine up to the moment we left for 2 weeks!) at the first stop it was dead, a Good Samaritan charged the battery for us. Second time we called for help and they checked and charged the battery. Third time we were stuck in a remote campground with NO tow vehicle for days until a guy helping us got a second battery to swap in case we got stuck again. Last time we went directly to a shop and spend another couple of days getting the alternator replaced. No fun until that last stop.

My advice would be follow through and figure it out before you hit the road!
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:49 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
sault sainte marie , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Something just doesn’t sound right about this. I cannot imagine what static load is on that would drop a battery in 6 days. I have parked mine (2016 Nissan Titan) at the airport for 15 days and hopped in and driven off...

It is a real problem — pull a cable off on mine and I lose trip odometers, time to oil change, fuel miles until empty, radio presets, power seat presets and my transmission forgets how it has adapted to my driving style. I imagine you will lose a lot of the same if you do it to yours.

On the other hand, running your battery down that far seriously degrades its longevity.

I would put an ammeter on it and pull fuses until I found out what the energy hog was. Subwoofer? Alarm? Rear camera stays on?

Just my 2 cents here. If you need to disconnect your battery for any reason, disconnect the negative cable. That assures that memory settings stored in the various computers hold that memory, especially including the power train module, and others that have learned what adjustments they need to make for your driving habits. Otherwise, it will take some miles and time for it to re-learn. And right put an ammeter between the battery cable and the battery with everything shut off and measure the drain. I know that in my 34' dual battery Classic, that the propane sniffer will run those batteries down relatively quickly, EVEN IF THE BATTERY DISCONNECT IS SWITCHED TO OFF. As such I wired a switch on the plus side of the sniffer's wiring harness so I could turn it off in storage. I also have a switched cheap digital LED voltmeter wired into the 12V system mounted inside the cabinet above the couch so that I can see the batteries voltage level. It is not necessarily exactly accurate, but is a useful tool.

Good luck with the Ford people......
bartzstream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
There is always the chance that the battery was not fully charged to begin with. At any rate now that it has run completely dead it is now damaged so insist on a new one.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:55 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
1967 22' Safari
Leawood , Kansas
You didn't hear this from a guy from Kansas City, where they're made. The rumor is that when they go through the wet test, some just won't start after they are shut off. My low level sources aren't aware whether the engineers have a fix yet, but a recall is likely, in MHO. Jerry
docflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:57 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by docflyboy View Post
You didn't hear this from a guy from Kansas City, where they're made. The rumor is that when they go through the wet test, some just won't start after they are shut off. My low level sources aren't aware whether the engineers have a fix yet, but a recall is likely, in MHO. Jerry
Thanks for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
According to this, a software upgrade will resolve the problem, your dealer should know.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/02/so...battery-drain/
Is the following chip shortage part of the problem here perhaps?

https://fordauthority.com/2021/04/in...chip-shortage/

Quote:
. . .
I'm going to follow the advice to take it back to the dealer, request a new battery and have them do the software update that azflycaster recommended. If the dealer cannot verify that this was the source of the problem, they will need to find the source of the battery drain.
Has the dealer made an appointment for you, or is this entire process maybe stalled until Ford figures it all out, per the quote at the top?

Good luck,

Peter

Old 04-21-2021, 05:18 PM   #32

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Coeur d’Alene , Idaho
There is a recall concerning the zone lighting feature on the F150. As you experienced it drains the battery. Ford recommends disabling the function until a software patch is completed.
Dspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:50 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Vista , California
Had a similar experience with a 2010 Land Rover. Took it to the dealer numerous times and they could not figure how why it was happening. All of the stuff on the internet about this issue is absolutely false and bad advice. The dealer replaced several batteries but the issue continued. They never were able to figure it out; al all. I just kept an Anti-Gravity jump start battery in the LR and it would crack the engine over with no problems. Always had to use it after a trip when it sat in the airport parking garage. Finally got rid of it and got a new LR and have-not have the problem with it. I wouldn't get my hopes up that the dealer can fix this. What ever the cause it is deeply embedded somewhere in the inner workings of the vehicle and if the techs at the dealer can't figure it out; who can?
Airlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:57 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dspencer View Post
There is a recall concerning the zone lighting feature on the F150. As you experienced it drains the battery. Ford recommends disabling the function until a software patch is completed.
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thre...-left-on.2038/

allenkelley -- Do you have the Zone Lighting?

Old 04-22-2021, 09:52 AM   #35

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Coeur d’Alene , Idaho
Good Morning,

I do have the zone lighting. I am not sure what models have the option. I believe any unit that has the Sync 4 will have the zone lighting. When I picked up my truck last Saturday the Ford Pass App came up with the notification to insure the zone lighting power button on the display was off as this was causing excessive battery drain.

I googled "zone lighting issues" which brought up some good information as to the topic.

Hope this helps.
Spencer
Dspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:07 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks do you have the specific NTSB recall number? I could not find it yesterday, just that article.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:36 PM   #37

1997 32' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Paso Robles , California
Before retiring I worked for a German car company. We always recommended owners remove their keys from the ignition when parking their cars at home. That's because putting the key in the ignition, even when in the off position, keeps certain systems charged or in the 'ready' mode. In other words keeping the key in the ignition prevents some systems from going to sleep. This was compounded when keyless entry and push button start systems came on the market and the mere proximity of the keys to the vehicle was keeping some systems awake. So we had to start telling customers not to keep their ign key near the car when not in use. We also recommended locking the vehicles when parked in their garages as locking the cars speeds up the process of the electronics going to sleep.

With all that said we'd still have the occasional vehicle that would prematurely drain their batteries. To diagnose these the Techs would measure, with all user systems off, the amperage draw of the suspect vehicle. If the draw exceeded a certain maximum, the Tech would start unplugging systems until the parasitic draw was identified.
Acutterkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:45 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Boise , Idaho
Quote:
After being away for 6 days, my 3-week old 2021 F-150 would not start, in fact there was no electrical activity at all. After contacting the dealer they told me to call road side assistance. It turns out that the battery had almost completely drained in just 6 days. The tech from roadside assistance said this is common on newer vehicles, and that I should expect it to happen in 4-5 days, he said that Land Rovers will drain in 3 days. I know that the batteries are not really matched well with the demands put on them in newer vehicles, but never expected this. I asked him what I was supposed to do if I left it in an airport parking lot for a week, his response, call us! He did have a portable jump starter that did the trick. I guess I have a number of options: I could buy one of those and keep it charged and always in the truck or I could disconnect my battery cables from the terminals. When left in my garage for more than four days I could connect a trickle charger to the battery. Has anyone else had a similar experience, and if so, what solutions have you found to work best.
Was the FOB in the truck while you were gone or close by? If it was that can cause the vehicle battery to drain very quickly because the electronics are kept in a warm state when the FOB is close to the car. Had this exact problem on my 2021 Range Rover HSE.
IdahoTrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 03:25 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
We put these in all our trucks and equipment that might sit for more than a week. Three days sounds like you have left the light on somewher.

Tech items in newer vehicles, tracking GPS transponders and some radios can have parasitic battery loads that will weaken a battery. Just make sure you use a cigarette lighter that remains hot when the key is out, otherwise you will need to use the optional terminal clamps direct to your battery.

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-wat...ger-62449.html
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 03:34 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Exclamation

Did you see in earlier posts that Ford has admitted a problem in the 2021 F-150 line, and that there is a recall?