Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would go with a Ford over a Chevy just from a reliability standpoint. I would also go with a long bed if you actually plan on using the bed for anything real like hauling motorcycles. I prefer gas trucks from a lower maintenance standpoint not to mention the additional sticker price of a diesel. Do the math on the fuel savings. I think I would go with a Dodge before Chevy. If you have to have electronic gadgets go with a Tundra. Chevy's have a lot of electronic gimics that break and are hard to fix yourself.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
Hi everybody! I have a 28 international-- I'm in the market for a new truck -- can't decide between ford or Chevy long bed or short bed? Diesel or gas? Thanks for any input!
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Our '07 Tundra (5.7 L. gas, double cab) does not have "electronic LSD", but I prefer the real thing. Otherwise, tows anywhere at any altitude without any problems. If tongue wt. is 1,050 lbs., only count 2/3 of it against cargo capacity if you have a weight distribution hitch. We haven't had problems with too much cargo in the truck so long as you don't put motorcycles in it.

We always have a pickup because we use it to pick up things that don't fit in the SUV. Something like a Suburban has some appeal, but I wouldn't want to carry gas cans in it. The Tundra has a small gas tank (26 gal.) and sometimes when traveling in remote areas extra gas is reassuring.

We prefer vehicles that don't break and Toyotas have had a very good record. They do not seem as well made as they were before, but still has given us very little trouble. The engine is very powerful, transmission is smooth. The only major repair in 71,000 miles has been new front brake rotors last year.

An intriguing alternative is the 4.6 L. Tundra with a supercharger. I talked to a guy last year who had one and he said he got very good gas mileage (maybe it was 24) when not towing. The supercharger is $4 or $5,000 list price and has to be installed by the dealer. I don't know what kind of deal you can get on it and how the price compares with a 5.7 L. This option is not well known and you'd have to ask about it. This is the same idea as the Ford EcoBoost.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #23
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
pros:
- great motor, lots of power, probably the fastest truck available that can tow and carry a load
Speed is not an issue when towing. Torque is the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post

cons:
- it is a HUGE vehicle
- 1/2 ton limits payload, no option to upgrade
- electronic LSD sucks
- no mechanical locking differential available
An after market locking differential is available:
Vehicle Page

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote