Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2006, 12:47 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I presume you mean spray on liner because my F-150 is 11 years old and has the Duraliner from new and it hasn't faded at all. My F-250 is one year old and hasn't shown any sign of fading either.
You presume correctly.

For the uses I put my truck through the fading is a small price to pay for the durability and cargo benefits. When I peeked under my Duroliner I found rust. Can't have that. I also noticed my Duroliner had cracked. If unlike me you don't use your truck for rough hauling and other tasks the Duroliner may the the right product.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:03 PM   #42
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Well, the only thing I haul on a regular basis is my a$$!

Seriously, I don't haul much in my trucks: bails of pine straw being the most regular load and that's only twice a year. But the majority of the work trucks I see in my area have drop-in liners.

Now I will give you that there are abrasions from the drop-ins that will result in wearing away of the microscopic layer of paint they seem to put on trucks these days and I'm sure there is probably rust under the liner in my 1995, but I don't think it has come near to rusting through yet. My 1995 has an over-the-rail type (I don't recommend this type) and the paint has worn away under the liner on top of the rails, but the primer hasn't worn through any place there, yet.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:00 AM   #43
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Bought the Truck

Well we purchased the Sierra noted before. Thank you for the info on the bed liners. Has anyone had any experience with and A. R. E. cap? I will be making this decision relatively soon.
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:00 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Martin , Georgia
Some of the A.R.E caps have a rebate that runs out 9-30. A dealer told me as long as the order is placed by then, you get the rebate. The LS II was $795 locally, including the $100 rebate. They are custom painted to match your truck using your VIN.

I don't have one of these but am considering getting one. This brand is popular in our area.
Dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:33 AM   #45
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Congradulations on your new truck. You will really like it for many years to come. You will be glad you have that diesel engine with a large and heavy trailer like the 34 footer. While I prefer the Fords, the Chevy is certainly every bit as good a truck as the Ford, IMHO. Anyway, you will be pleased with your decision and glad you went diesel.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:23 AM   #46
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEO
Well we purchased the Sierra noted before. Thank you for the info on the bed liners. Has anyone had any experience with and A. R. E. cap? I will be making this decision relatively soon.
hi deo

i have the a.r.e. z series on the long bed superduty.

mine is lined, has the clothes hanger, front opening window.
had the side windows tinted to nearly 100% so they are very dark and it is harder to see the cargo inside....which was the goal...
still easy to see 'out' however...

looks good on the ford....folks think it is a custom long excursion..

i've had it 18 month.
paint was thin in a few spots and started peeling near some edges....so it was sent back to the factory for a full respray...
new paint is much much better....all covered under warranty. took 3 weeks turn around time....

overall i don't think there is much difference between this one and the top line from other makers...

but for the entry level model and mid model there are differences in windows, rear door, latches and so on....that is why i opted for the z series...better hardware imo.

lots of views on bedliners...
yes the drop in will wear on the paint and metal...with a full cap this is less of an issue related to rust.
a plus for the rhino/lineX is that they come in colors....a white or gray liner would make seeing the gear easier vs black...

i would by a.r.e. again....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:49 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEO
Congratulations on your new GMC diesel pickup!
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:49 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Rochester , New York
You will love your new diesel truck. The following URL is a link to a thread on spray on liners: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...ighlight=linex
WBCCI #1521 New England Unit
07 25' International CCD FB
06 Chevy Duramax/Allison
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:45 AM   #49
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Going to look at the A.R.E. caps today...I will be sure to report back my observations... Sounds like Line-x is the way to go on the spray in liner. .. Drove the new truck home yesterday and I can't wait to get things hooked up and do a trip with the trailer... But must get some of these details completed first...
Old 09-30-2006, 03:58 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
Congratulations on the new Sierra! I bought an '06 last summer and am very pleased. Didn't go for the diesel, but so far am happy with the 6.0L/4.10. Went to Medicine Bow WY last week(I-80 from eastern Nebraska) for the Antelope Rally and was pleased with the towing ('05 31' Classic). Next one will be a diesel.

For bedliners, if it isn't too late - also look at the "BedRug". Figure on camping with the truck on a few rare occasions in the backcountry, and the padded surface is sure friendly to the knees. I've hauled concrete rubble with it too. About the same cost as spray-on.

Dwight
16595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:12 PM   #51
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEO
Going to look at the A.R.E. caps today...I will be sure to report back my observations... Sounds like Line-x is the way to go on the spray in liner. .. Drove the new truck home yesterday and I can't wait to get things hooked up and do a trip with the trailer... But must get some of these details completed first...
remember! break the differential in right, no towing for 500 miles then change the fluid!

consult your manual.

john
Old 09-30-2006, 06:41 PM   #52
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Agreed on the break-in period. There are lots of things to do before the first trip with the trailer. We decided on the A.R.E. cap they looked like they were made better and had some nice features such as a fold down front window so you can wash the rear window of the truck. Also decided on the reflex spray in bedliner (have not done that yet but will when the cap comes in). The truck drives incredibly smooth with the Allison transmission... it is very impressive. I hope my experience here helps others in selection. Now off to getting the hitch height correct and attaching the break controller.... Looks like my October vacation is moving to November...
Old 11-20-2006, 10:41 AM   #53
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Trip Report - First trip with the new TV

Well we finally took our first trip with the new GMC Sierra 2500.. Thank you all for your help it was very useful. We drove from Boston to Virginia to Charleston SC to Hilton Head with a side trip to Savannah and a stay in Fredricksburg Va on the way home.. A total of appx 2200 miles... The truck was unbelievable... what an improvement ! There was absolutely no sway not even a budge when the big rigs went by me on the highway... The "tow haul mode" of the truck was fantastic ! As I reached each exit and came off the highway it was like the transmission was doing all the thinking for me.. just amazing ! I'm glad I purchased it before the new ones that require ultra low diesel came out... I didn't see too many pumps offering it.. I must say this has been a great experience.... I agree with all above that I love the new truck.. thanks for the good advice!! OK so now to begin the hunt on a 34' classic....
Old 11-20-2006, 11:06 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
Here's my 2 cents worth - hope it helps some: first you made a great decision on the GM 2500.
I've been towing a TT for 11 years. My trailer weight has consistently been in the 5500 - 6000 Lbs range ( dry weight ) with 26-27 foot trailer. My current TV is a 2wd 2500HD Chevy ext cab pickup with 8.1 L engine and Allison transmission. I Love the Allision transmission in this truck. My next truck will definately have the Allision. There are times, on a flat highway with a tailwind, that I have actually looked back just to make sure the trailer is still attached...of course it it...but it's that sensation that I'm not towing anything that causes me to look. Yes, the gas milage could be better with a diesel, but I don't tow the TT every day, nor do I use the truck for daily commutes so I don't mind paying the extra gas $$ for a truck that gets down to business when it comes time to tow. I put a flat lid on the back of the 2500 to help with air drag and provide better cartage/storage area for those additional things like lawn chairs, turf grass for the "front yard", etc. ANd it has 1 ton suspension, which helps with the heavier tongue weights. PS: My wife says our 2500 HD drives like a nice car, it's very comfy, well insulated, and has all the gadgets that one would want in a long distance vehicle. I'm very satisfied with this set up and would only change it if I were going to be getting a new truck, at which time I'll probably go with a duramax diesel just to improve the gas mileage. Happy Trails!