Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Need advice - Tow vehicle overheating

My big black van (95 Ford E150) overheated on me today. We weren't even towing! What gets me is the weird way it did it. Just for further info, the van got a new radiator and hoses in December or January.

I drove from our store towards home and saw the temp gauge creeping up, and stopped at the feed store, and when I got out I heard hissing and smelled antifreeze. I popped the hood and saw a fine spray coming out of the overflow bottle (I think).

When I came out of the feed store things had settled down, so I started driving home. As I drove the temp crawled up up up. I turned on the heater full blast to try and pull some heat out of the engine, but the air coming out of the vents was lukewarm at best, and the temp kept going up. I was about to pull over when suddenly the air coming through the vents turned into a blast furnace, and the temp dropped fairly quickly all the way back to normal.

I continued home (I only was a couple miles from the house) and the air coming from the vents stayed hot, then suddenly went back to just warm, and the temp started climbing quickly again. It was pegged on hot by the time I pulled into my driveway.

Any advice? We're working the store and Dave's doing a trade show in town (in fact we have a big merchandise display set up at a convention center over in Portland), and we desperately need two cars tomorrow, and particularly the van to get our merchandise home! Why do these things always happen on the weekend!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Stephanie,

A stuck thermostat perhaps. You might try removing it if you're unable to pick one up at the auto supply. It should be located in the housing where the upper radiator hose goes in the engine. A new one is around $10.00.

I'm dealing with leaky compression fittings on my transmission cooler this weekend myself.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Thanks Kevin. I read that if the thermostat is stuck the upper radiator hose won't be hot (because the thermostat keeps the coolant circulating in the engine until it opens and lets it into the radiator). And the upper radiator hose is hot, so I assume the coolant is circulating.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Steph

I know the weekend traumas. I have found that if you need help on the weekends dealers and big shops are worthless. I have used the Pep Boys shop on the road...got a free look see and they were able to repair from parts in stock. Other auto supplys have same mech services...even Wally Worlds. Good luck.

I think its the thermostat too...its the cheapest of the possibilities....if thats any consolation.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hi Steph,

Could the problem have started with a leak from somewhere? Like a freeze plug or something? You said you saw and smelled coolant. The system should never leak under any situation. So, maybe the thermostat stuck and caused overheating or maybe there was a leak and low coolant caused overheating. If you could get to a shop where they could add water and pressure test the system to see where its leaking and correct that, then replace the thermostat because either way its toast now and see what happens. It might be a good idea for them to do a quick block check with dye. This will check the head gaskets to see if one is blown.

A competent shop should be able to tell you whats going on.

Good luck

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:35 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Still sounds like a bad thermostat even though that top hose was hot.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Thanks for the advice. I called around and found a friend who had an SUV to loan us for tomorrow. That way I can just wait on the van and get it to our mechanic on Monday. I looked for the thermostat, but the engine is set so far back I can't even see it without removing the whole upper air plenum box. Vans are so hard to work on compared to a truck where the motor is right under the hood. I'll let the mechanic dig into that.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Or a faulty new radiator or hose or hose clamp.

I think the first thing to do is find out exactly where the leak is coming from. Then work back from there.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
They are bad about the plastic, pressurized overflow tank cracking and letting the coolant out. That would account for the hissing, steam, and coolant smell. It would also account for the erratic heater behavior. When the (really, really hot) coolant made its way into the heater, it would blow very hot, until the blower cooled off the coolant. Then the heat would cool off until another blob of superhot coolant hit the heater. It could also be simply a split hose.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Thanks for the advice. I called around and found a friend who had an SUV to loan us for tomorrow. That way I can just wait on the van and get it to our mechanic on Monday. I looked for the thermostat, but the engine is set so far back I can't even see it without removing the whole upper air plenum box. Vans are so hard to work on compared to a truck where the motor is right under the hood. I'll let the mechanic dig into that.

Could it possibly be a fan clutch?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
1995 model? Is the water pump in there the original? Not sure if you would make any noise if it lost some of it's ability or not.
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I'm wondering if the water pump is going (pumps sometimes.. circulating to the heater.. then not). In my van, the thermostats stuck open... most evident in the winter... the van was hard to warm up... but the heater still worked.

My money's on the water pump. Sorry you've had troubles!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:06 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
1974 24' Argosy 24
Manningtree , essex
Send a message via Skype™ to fozzies
it's unlikely to be the water pump as they usually either work or don't. Not the thermostat either as the heater is not controlled by that. Could be the viscous fan or more likely the fan belt slipping as it is intermittent. The leak is just caused by excess pressure in the cooling system due to overheating if you're lucky, if not there could be a head gasket problem. I would recommend doing a chemical test on the coolant system before jumping into any major work. Hope this helps, Keith
fozzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:10 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
The thermostat should be up front by the coolant pump follow top hose from radiator the thermostat should be between hose and engine block.

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:19 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i'm with terry, it soulds like a pressure leak. you might try filling the overflow tank and leaving the cap just loose enough not to build pressure. it should get you to the mechanic without overheating and damaging the engine.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
First thing I would do is Take it to a competent mechanic. He will have a pressure tester that is put on in place of the radiator cap . It has a pump and a gauge. With the system full of coolant he will be able to cause a leak by applying pressure to the system. My first guess was Thermostat. Second would be waterpump. Radiator caps do go bad especially on a 95. Yes coolant tanks are plastic and do crack .
Id still take it to a competent mechanic and have it checked out.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:34 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
A pressure test AND another test that checks for combustion gases in the cooling system will most likely show a blown head gasket. Hopefully my diagnosis based on your described symptoms is incorrect and it will be something much less serious.

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:15 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Could it possibly be a fan clutch?

Andy
Good call Andy!
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:36 AM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Lots of possibilities! I'm going to have it towed over, we have towing insurance, might as well use it rather than risk hurting the engine if it overheats again.

In December/January we had a bad sensor and a complete brake job, and then at the same time they replaced the radiator cap. I drove it a couple days and the new radiator cap apparently pressurized the system and caused a weak spot in the radiator to blow out, so it started leaking antifreeze. So it went back to the mechanic for a new radiator and hoses. So we dropped about $2k on it in two months. Dave's Dad said not to spend any more money on it since it's so old (1995), but you know it just nickle and dimes you, where you go 'well it's been a good truck, we might as well fix this', then another thing and another thing. Then it's like 'well now we've got $2k invested in repairs on it, and it's got new brakes'. If this is anything big it might be time to call it quits and replace it. We'll just have to see what the mechanic says.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:42 AM   #20

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Sounds like you're on the right path Stephanie. We have pool going, so let us know what the culprit is.

I have a 97 Ford F150 that has 306,000 miles. It was my daily driver until the alterantor went our at 295,000. It's now my "Weekend" ride. It sure beat the heck out of making truck payments.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote