Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2004, 04:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Ely , Minnesota
Need advice on tow vehicle GMC 3/4 van

I am looking at a GMC conversion van, 3/4 ton, automatic transmission, 5.7 liter V8 engine as a potential tow vehicle for my 1963 Overlander. Is this a poor choice? I do not forsee long or frequent journies, but want to be able to take to the road. Anything I should try to find out or look for? Thanks so much for any feedback as it is much appreciated.
SilverBear
63overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:42 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

chevy van 3/4

what year?

mark
markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:53 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Ely , Minnesota
I've been looking at a nice 92 and also looking at a 94 and a 95. I can't afford anything very new. Thanks for responding.
SilverBear
Old 03-04-2004, 05:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Need advice on tow vehicle GMC 3/4 van

Greetings SilverBear!

There are two things that would be on the top of my list - - differential ratio and the actual empty weight of the van along with its GVWR and GCVWR. Especially if the van is a conversion van, the GVWR/GCVWR may not be sufficient for towing your Overlander; and many of the "special" conversion van chasis came with a 2.73 differential which also would not be an ideal candidate for towing. For a conversion van, I would be looking for an actual weight (from a scale ticket) that could be compared to the GVWR to see how much room there is for passengers, luggage, and belongings that might be carried in the van; then I would want to estimate the weight of what is to be carried in the van so that could be subtracted from the GVWR - - then the question becomes one of is there adequate GVWR remaining to support the tongue weight of the trailer (approximated 750 pounds <when loaded> if your Overlander is similar to my '64). The final factor would be to look at the scale ticket, plus the estimated weight for passengers and belongings; and then add the weight of the loaded trailer (about 6,000 pounds if your Overlander is similar to my '64 when it is loaded for an adventure) - - if this is below the GCVWR Or Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating then the van may be a towing candidate.

I would suggest looking for at least a 3.73 differential - - a 4.10 differential would be much preferred. I had a '95 K1500 Chevrolet Z-71 pickup with 3.73 gearing with a 5.7 liter V8 and it simply did not have the kind of towing performance that I expect from my tow vehicles (acceptable in flat terrain - - deplorably inadequate in the Rocky Mountains).

Good luck with your tow vehicle search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 05:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Ely , Minnesota
Kevin,
I thank you kindly, sir. You have given me some valuable food for thought and some things to check in to.
SilverBear
Old 03-04-2004, 06:07 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
If you are going to go 3/4, I'd look for the Ford with the 7.5 litre. The 7.5 was probably the toughest gas engine available for towing or rv applications. I had a 93 Airstream Bseries van which was a similar set up and that combo was bulletproof.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 06:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vans have a lot to offer for trailer towing. And with a proper weight and load capacity match, towing with a conversion van could be a very attractive way to go.

The point about weight and rear end ratios above were well made. Conversion van makers tend to add a lot of weight to their vehicles. However, you have a couple of pluses - your prospect is a 3/4 ton and you don't have a particularly heavy coach. It would be rare to find a 3/4 ton van with a rear end lower than 3.73, but as pointed out above, the customizers ordered them to suit their own objectives, which seldom included towing capacity.

Although not often seen, both Ford and GM made diesel vans, if your interests run that way. They tended to be bought by comercial users, however, and are most often found VERY used.

Good luck,

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:24 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

3/4 all the way

all the above points are well taken, if at all poss go with a 3/4 ton diesel conversion. the chances of finding one in good condition are down right impossible though.
from experience now they [gas, conv,haulers] unless really built for towing,tend to run hot!!! fires are not unusual,need stainless exhaust and other preventive measures to keep the beast running cool.

my nicoles worth

mark
markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:41 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Hold out for a 7.4L big block with a 4:11 rear, and trans cooling.
Tow in 3rd only.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote