Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #41
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Because of the high cost of fuel does it make since to run with empty tanks? Has anyone noticed a reduction in fuel or better "pulling power" running empty. I don’t know for sure what is the wt. of water or waste water but it must be heavy. Is it worth the hassle of refilling? Airperson
Airperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:09 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Water is 8.345404 pounds per gallon, or 40 gallons in the tank is over 333 pounds. Yes, it is noticable.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #43
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Steve, Wow that is a lot of wt. in three tanks. I don’t know how much fuel it takes to push 1000 lb. Down the road. But I bet I would see a decline in fuel cost for the days run.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #44
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I have seen it claimed that having the fresh water tank full allows the trailer to ride better with the weight down so low.

I like to keep it full because we never know when we can't find a campground with water. You can rent a space with just electric if you carry your own water and have enough space in the grey tank, then use the campground dump station in the morning.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Just bought our Classic 30' last Fall and decided that our i/2 ton extended cab gas truck was too marginal as we too like mountains!

Bought a new GMC Sierra crew cab short box 4x4 diesel and just love it! I hope GM stays around long enough to honour my 6 year extended warranty though!

We gave it a good test thus winter on a 7000km trip, towing at elevations up to 8000 ft.
and it was an extremely relaxing experience! Hensley hitch probably did its share too!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #46
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Brian, Do you think the Hensley is worth the money?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #47
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Thanks Gene for the info. as i said i don't know what i am doing yet.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #48
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Yes, the Hensley is the best money I've ever spent and I have spent money on all sorts of extra toys I've bought to play with for the Airstream including a Huges Autoformer, Hitch'n Sticks, a flag holder, flags with light, a tire pressure monitoring system, a 21' Zip Dee awning mat, a Jason tonneau cover, a Bed Slide, a commercial grade 12 volt air compressor, etc., etc. I've towed this trailer with a Reese for 6,000 miles and now with the Hensley and there is no comparison after over 15,000 miles of towing with the Hensley. I'll never pull a travel trailer again without the Hensley. I may not be worth it, but my wife, pets and equipment are and I arrive at the next campground rested rather than wrought.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #49
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
I didn't know there was a tire monitoring system for trailor tires. Is that a high dollar upgrade to make.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #50
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
There are several brands. Pressure Pro and Doran 360, last I looked, cost $200 for the monitor and $50 for each sensor. One sensor for each tire. Thus, $400 for 4 tires. There's another brand that would cost a total of $600 for 4 tires, but on those you can put air in the tire without removing the sensor. For $200, I decided I could remove the sensors. You can add sensors for the tow vehicle too, but most vehicles have them now.

I have the Doran and like it. You can find these by Googling the brand names or "TPMS" which means "tire pressure monitoring systems" and not "terrible PMS".

They will tell you if you are losing pressure steadily, the precursor to a blow out, or lose pressure really fast (the Doran does, don't know about the others). Doran also tells when the pressure is getting high which can happen when the temp goes way up as you travel—you may go from a cold place in the morning and then cross into another climate zone. I use it to check pressure each morning too. This is easier (and more likely to be done) than going around to each wheel and checking pressure.

A tire failure can mess up the aluminum panel nearby—that's really, really expensive.

Gene
Old 06-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #51
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
I am sold. Thanks Airperson
Old 06-18-2009, 06:50 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airperson View Post
Brian, Do you think the Hensley is worth the money?
I guess it is a very subjective sort of thing.

For many years I got by without one just fine, and felt that it was ridicuously expensive - although I was impressed by the glowing testimonials.

Eventually, when I got the point that the $$ wasn't such a big deal,
and also, my "Mrs" had been harping on about the safety aspect for years) I decided that I probably wouldn't have too many more years of RV'ing, so I might as well spoil myself a bit!

Having made one big trip with it, I am very impressed with the improvement compared to the standard equalizing hitch/sway bar arrangement I have always used.

The trailer feels to be so much more in control and the whole towing experience is so relaxed - never the slightest hint of sway during our 7000 mile trip.

One day we were driving in very heavy winds - I had absoluteky no idea how windy it was until I stopped for gas and nearly lost the truck door when I opened it!

The "Mrs" is happier now too!

I would spend the $$ again - but obviously it depends on ones circumstances and priorities

There is a bit of a learning curve to hitching up, but there are a few little tricks and tips that can be picked up on the forum. I have it pretty much aced now ...... I think!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
We tow with an F250 (6.4L diesel) and just came back from a 1,500 mile trip through the mountains of KY and TN. While I cannot compare to other non-Ford TV's, the F250 is a superb towing vehicle. Having towed previously with a Ford Expedition (basically F150 chassis) the difference is huge in terms of stability and power.

The other consideration you might take into account is your ability to find a place to service your tow vehicle on the road. We have had several instances where for various reasons we needed service, and there were very friendly and competent Ford dealerships nearby. No matter the brand you decide, think about which brand has the service locations - and talent to repair the vehicle. In the case of Ford, because they sell so many trucks and use the diesel engines on so many vehicles, we have been very impressed with the ability to get technicians to work on our vehicles (have owned two Ford Excursions as well - each with diesel engines).
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #54
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Question on 12 volt air compressor - Is there a best one ? I saw one at PEP Boys that connects directly to the battery and I saw one at Wall Mart that connects to a 12 volt power point plug in. They were both with 16 ft. air hoses. The price was about the same $50 something. I have installed new tires but for safety, reasons I thought it might be helpful to have a compressor. Is this a good idea? Do you have a recommendation
Thanks Airperson.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:44 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Just bought our Classic 30' last Fall and decided that our i/2 ton extended cab gas truck was too marginal as we too like mountains!

Bought a new GMC Sierra crew cab short box 4x4 diesel and just love it! I hope GM stays around long enough to honour my 6 year extended warranty though!

We gave it a good test thus winter on a 7000km trip, towing at elevations up to 8000 ft.
and it was an extremely relaxing experience! Hensley hitch probably did its share too!

Brian
In my opinion, an almost perfect setup, even though it took us a bit of convincing before we purchased the Hensley. The Hensley was a good insurance policy and we're happy we made the leap. 'Almost perfect' because the 4X4 is a bit stiffer and most likely gives our Airstream a bit of a rougher ride. If you can find a diesel without 4X4 it would probably be a bit easier on your trailer; however, at this point I wouldn't trade my setup. The wheelbase on the 'crew' is a perfect length for our trailer in order to avoid sway issues. Anything less (especially without the Hensley) would be a nightmare. I know there's a formula to reduce the effects of sway that someone on this forum may recall but I do remember that the longer the trailer, the longer the wheelbase of the tow vehicle needs to be to lessen the impact of sway. Good luck in making your selection.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:28 AM   #56
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
Question on 12 volt air compressor - Is there a best one ? I saw one at PEP Boys that connects directly to the battery and I saw one at Wall Mart that connects to a 12 volt power point plug in. They were both with 16 ft. air hoses. The price was about the same $50 something. I have installed new tires but for safety, reasons I thought it might be helpful to have a compressor. Is this a good idea? Do you have a recommendationThanks Airperson.
I can't comment on a 12 volt compressor, other than the cheap one in our car's emergency kit wouldn't handle inflating larger truck tires.

Just a thought...

We carry a 110V "pancake" style comressor on our trips. We fill up the tank before pulling out just in case we need the air along the side of the road. It's a bit bulky, but it's saved us the expense of buying another air compressor.

In our two years of trailering, we've fortunately never used it for tires on truck or trailer during a trip.

If you take a generator with you on trips, you'd have a ready source of power for one at all times.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:24 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Air Compressors ?????

Quote:
Question on 12 volt air compressor - Is there a best one ? I saw one at PEP Boys that connects directly to the battery and I saw one at Wall Mart that connects to a 12 volt power point plug in. They were both with 16 ft. air hoses. The price was about the same $50 something. I have installed new tires but for safety, reasons I thought it might be helpful to have a compressor. Is this a good idea? Do you have a recommendation
Thanks Airperson.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXX
AP, becareful which compressor you buy some can not air up anything more than a bicycle tire. However even those that can bear in mind that these compressors are not ment for airing tires to full pressure but to air a tire up enough to get it to an air station capable of high pressure. I have one that I bought at lowes and it will air most any tire including the tires on my F250 & Excursion which are truck tires close to full pressure but even then it is putting alot of wear on a small pump. I keep mine with me to air up my tires only when they fall below 3/4 inflation so I can get it to someplace to air it properly.
If you go to Lowes, Home Depot, most any place that sells construction equipment you can purchase an air compressor that will do the job you want but it will cost above $100.00. I personally now that I have a vehicle that I plan to keep for long term use am going to find either used or new an engine mounted compressor to put on my vehicle. I had done this in the past with one other vehicle and found it to be a very useful option and I can not tell you how many times I have been at a park and had people come ask to air their tires because they had gone down for what ever reason. Some even offered to pay.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:57 AM   #58
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Any compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket will not be able to pump up a tire needing 65 psi, or if it ever does get there, it will take a very long time. That socket cannot deliver the amps necessary.

A good compressor will hook directly to the batteries and have a capacity over 100 psi. I found one at Costco for around $65 and it works very well. When I had looked on the internet all I found where the cheap little ones or ones over $250. Compressors for construction like a pancake one will do the job at a campground and may hold enough air for one tire on the road, but are heavy and noisy. Filling the tank at a campground will not make you any friends. Just adding enough air to get you a few miles down the road may be ok, but underinflated tires lead to blowouts.

Our experience is that the trailer tires lost air slowly when we had the OEM rubber valve stems and every couple of days I had to add air to the tires. Since I had metal stems put on they seem to lose less air, but I'm not sure because on our last trip the temperatures changed so much every day, it was hard to know.

Gene
Old 06-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #59
1 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Compressor

I have had a 110 volt compressor from sears for many years, very compact and light, I have only had to use a couple of times on the road once for a farmers tractor. I just start up my generator if I need it on the road.

Bryon.
bmk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:00 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Quote:
Hi,
We have just bought an 25 ft. 06 classic. Its wt. is about 5700 We would like to replace the old 150 (has 5.0 E and Low rear end. with towing pkg.) It does not like hills. We do not know which way to go. We would like to travel in the mountains. We would also like to get somewhat good fuel economy.
I know there are many tow vehicles out there used for towing, however I don’t have a clue which way to go.
I do not want to rely on a truck salesperson that does not tow himself to guide my decision. I hope some of you folks that have the experience will share your wisdom.
Hello
Any of the new American 1/2 ton trucks would do the job. All of them will get considerably better MPG then your old 5.0. I like the 5.0. If it has the old AOD tranny, or E4OD tranny. you should have the button of the shifter or dash. I reccomend before climbing the hill, pulling it out of O/D. getting the RPM's up into the torque range. O/D was designed for fuel economy, but you loose torque. getting it out of O/D raises the RPM's up to climb the hill. AT 65, pulling it out you should go from around 1700 rpm's to 2400 rpms. (averages)

The newer tranny's are much different. If you get, say a 1/2 ton F150, with a 5.4 liter and the torque shift tranny (6 spd) 3:73 gears, you should get 17 around town, and 24 highway. It will differ alittle when towing an Airstream, but not much, because of the Aero dynamic factor.

Any of the good American Trucks are great for this. I have buddy's that have Rams' and Chevy's. I have a Superduty. They are all Quality, and more reliable then anything else on the market .

Good luck!
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote