Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
4RivetWannabe

2007 16' Bambi
2018 26' Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Need a truck to tow a 2007 16' Bambi

Hi All,

I just bought a 2007 Bambi 16' CCD and now looking for a truck to pull it. I'm new to this, and getting educated as quickly as possible. I want to buy used, a 2005-2007, preferably, as trucks in that year/mileage seem to fit my price range. Can I get some suggestions for this trailer? Or pointers to current discussions that would help?

I don't plan on towing anything heavier than the Bambi. If I upgrade the trailer later, I'd upgrade the TV, if required. So far I've narrowed down my preference to the V6 Tacoma double cab, or either a V6 or V8 Tundra or F-150 with an access cab (not crew). The idea behind V6 was that the Bambi is not too heavy and gas mileage would be better when not using it for towing.

As far as listed tow capacity, all of these seem capable. Although, there do not seem to be many V6 Tundra and V6 F-150's on the market. And I haven't seen any with a factory installed tow package.

Any suggestions or recommendations? Also, for this trailer and these tow vehicles, is weight distribution and/or anti sway devices recommended?

Thanks,
Ralph

ps. Here's link to a picture of it:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...mbi-83919.html
rportillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Check the milage rating on the trucks you prefer. Make sure they have a tow package. This would provide a locking torque converter, transmission cooler and a 7 pin connector to connect to trailer. May even hace a brake controller in the case of the Fords. A half ton V8 is a very adaquate truck. A 6 cylinder may pull well on flat ground but any elevations will challenge it.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I've towed stuff a lot heavier than the Bambi with my my F-150, Triton V-8, very cool truck.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

A Tundra from the first 2 years of the range you quoted (05-06) and the 4.7L V8 and tow package would be a decent tow vehicle for a 16' Bambi. It's lighter and smaller than the current big Tundra, but I think it would have plenty of power for the application. The '05 and '06 V8 made more power than the previous years, and had a 5-speed auto transmission.

Legend has it that the single-axle trailers need sway control more than tandem-axle trailers do, which is probably a function both of the extra axle and the extra trailer length that comes along with it. Airstream says that Bambi should be about 430 lb. tongue weight, so full of propane and loaded for travel you're probably looking at 550 lb or more. I think that an appropriately-sized weight distribution system would be good for the lighter 1st-gen Tundra, especially if you're also carrying cargo in the bed of the truck.

You might also consider a Tacoma of the same years, with the same caveat that it should have the tow package. You'll have less power than the little V8 in the Tundra, but there'll be lots more of them in the used market.

I have friends who pull their Bambi with a 6-cylinder BMW X5 and have no problems getting where they're going, but they live far from the Rockies (even though that's where they bought their used Bambi!) You may not be able to win hill-climb races but I think for a little trailer, you could do fine with the big V6.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I can't add much to above. But I'll also emphasize the tow package on Toyota with 7 pin connector and easy to plug in brake controller. There's a Toyota plug equipped Prodigy brake controller you can research. It just plugs in to the Toyota harness behind kick panel.

If you do wind up with 4.0 V6 you'll find an easy to replace top mounted oil filter and I'd recommend extracting oil thru dipstick tube for an all topside oil change. That if you do your own maintenance. The last year or two of the smaller body Tundra w/ V8 could be a good choice.

Yes on WD hitch and sway control, just go with appropriate weight rating on the spring bars.

Also you may need mirror extensions. I've used Cipa and Aero and the Aero are superior:
https://www.makariosboatparts.com/pr...-Products.html
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Ralph...again, welcome to the forums... We tow a 2006 19' Bambi with a 2007 V6 Tacoma double cab with factory tow package (important) with a tow rating of 6500 lbs...and we think it's a great match...it's our only vehicle, so we didn't want a V8. I'd recommend a 2007 or newer Tacoma if you go with a Tacoma...2007 is the year they beefed them up and introduced the new Tundra generation. We've been all over AZ and New Mexico and some time in SoUtah and SoCal, and it's served us very well. It does everyting we need a vehicle to do...hauls stuff, people, dogs and the Bambi... We have an Equal-i-zer Hitch setup that we really like, too. Very easy to hitch up and works well for us.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
We have a Nissan Fronteir V6 and it does a great job with ours. We are also able to pull ours with our X5 SUV...one of the reasons we opted for the 16 ft was the ability to pull it with smaller TVs.

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Truck for towing 16'

rportillo,

I started out with a V6 Nissan Pathfinder to my tow my Bambi and it did fine. It did not have a factory tow package but I added a transmission cooler, hitch and Prodigy brake controller so all that was covered. I pulled it in the NC mountains over to Tennessee and back one time and that was OK too. For the most part I pulled it on flat roads and in that situation it was totally great.

I always use weight distribution even though I have had some tell me it's not needed but my stock answer it that it's my trailer and I feel better having it so it's gonna stay. I have a Reese hitch and use the 600lb bars.

I have changed tow vehicles since then and now have a half ton pickup with a V8, full tow package with built in brake controller. I also have a longer trailer to tow now so I need that. The 16 footer has never been a hard tow but with the half ton it's a total breeze not to mention that I have tons of room for stuff in the bed. Not much cargo carrying capacity in the little trailer. I have basically no squat on the truck when it goes on the hitch before the bars are hooked up. That was not the case on the Nissan, lots of squat and I didn't want to modify anything else on it so that led me to the truck store.

I guess the best answer to your question about vehicles is another question. Where do you plan to do most of your towing? Good luck with the Bambi. It's a great size trailer to easily run around in but needs no less safety prep than any of them. Be prepared for lots of company at the campgrounds. Everyone always wants to look inside.

TB
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Ralph

Congrad\tulations on your new Bambi and wecome to the forum.

I have a 2008 Tundra with the big v8 and love it (except for the size), but it sounds like a 2007 and later Tacoma with the tow package will do a fine job for you. My biggest complaint about the Tundra is that it is HUGE. Find yourself a double cab Tacoma or something similar.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
OK, I'm a little taken a-back..I am usually so on the other side of this equation....a big trailer being discussed, and pulling it with a Corolla or Beetle or something!

Are ya'll serious? If I could find a couple more gears on my v-twin Vanngard Briggs and Stratton Lawn tractor, I'd pull that 16 Bambi to the coast in a day!
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Yes, I would think anything with, oh maybe 5000 towing capacity, would be fine for a 16' Bambi, and that would give you a big safety margin.

Seems like that would be covered by almost any V6 equipped vehicles.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:10 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
westwego , Louisiana
I'd gi for the v8 f-150 crew cab if you can. Mpgs are gonna suck either way--so at least the v8 won't struggle. And as a previous owner of an "access" cab truck--trust me--the crew cab full four door is the way to go.

I use an f-250 crew with v8 and still get a surprising 20 mpg in the city. Usually a light foot, but i have my moments
NOLA Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
A Ridgeline or Tacoma would do you fine. We live at 4,600' and routinely go above 7,000'. Those who claim the performance is marginal with a V6 don't have a clue. We are usually in the passing lane on those mountain roads. This was taken above 10,000' and the Ridge tempgage never budged while we passed numerous V8's which were overheated. Did I mention the temp was high 90's?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP1441a.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	143361  
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Tofino , British Columbia
We are towing our 16' Bambi with a 2011 Golf TDI and we live in an area where we need to travel through the mountains. We just drove it across the country through a bunch of passes including areas where we live that have an 18% grade and it didn't break a sweat. We were passing people on some of those hairy climbs as well. Our average was 23MPG.

Good luck with your search! With a 16' you have plenty of TV options
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
4RivetWannabe

2007 16' Bambi
2018 26' Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Hi,
Thanks for the inputs. I now have all sorts of options I hadn't considered before, including a briggs and stratton lawn mower.

I'm no closer to choosing the right TV, but at least I'll be more comfortable with the decision.
rportillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Ralph,

Buy something capable enough to tow the larger Airstream that's most likely lurking somewhere in your future.

Ask me how I know...

Bob