Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #1

2005 25' International CCD
San Diego , California
Need a tow vehicle and considering hybrids. Any thoughts?

Hi all!
We just bought our first trailer - a 2005 Airstream International CCD 25. Now we need something to tow it with! We are wondering if a hybrid SUV could do the job, and while we know it won't save gas on the highway, we are hoping to spend less on gas when we are un-hitched. Does anyone have any experience with this, or any recommendations? If not a hybrid (which is our preference), any other suggestions for a tow vehicle? We would like an SUV, to take advantage of the space for storage, and some comfy napping while the other person drives.

Thanks in advance!
ScoutandBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Maybe a VW Touareg or Porsche Cayenne hybrid...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Nevada City , California
Thumbs up Toyota Tundra

I have a 2011 Tundra with a tow pkg and 4 wd. I love it! It is very comfortable
very straight forward and performs beautifully. Am towing a 2012 25 ft. Flying Cloud.
Orson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:15 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
It looks like the only option will be the VW Touareg. It can tow 7700lbs. The Tahoe's only 5500 or so. The problem with the Touareg is the $61,000+ price tag for a new one. You're better off with regular gas pickup and spend the savings on gas.
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We have a 2008 Tundra CrewMax Limited. The rear seats recline about 45-degrees or so, enough to sleep in them (kind of like in a recliner). With a hard tonneau cover, it's like a big limo/station wagon.

Our town car is a 2002 Prius, which we use for commuting, etc. It gets between 44 and 53 mpg, depending on driving conditions and the weather.

While hybrids have improved and have a better selection of models available, I have my doubts with a larger travel trailer. That application is asking one vehicle to handle both extremes of the driving spectrum, towing and good fuel economy. I suspect that any hybrid vehicle will probably not perform at its peak doing either. That's why we have two entirely different vehicles for these separate tasks. That doesn't mean that no hybrid will do both; only that it may not do either as well as two different vehicles designed specifically to handle each extreme.

By the way, our 5.7L Tundra gets between 13.5 and 16.5 mpg towing our 19-foot Bambi (mountains and highspeed freeway, versus two-lane lower speed highways in flat country), and 16-18.5 (and up to 21.5) mpg without the trailer. While it's no Prius, it's a great long-haul road cruiser; and we often take it on longer trips, even without the trailer, because it is much more comfortable than the Prius on the highway.

One caveat on the Tundra, it sucks gas if you keep your foot in it. And, it takes a lot of discipline and self-control to drive it like a normal vehicle. The engine and six-speed transmission are constantly teasing the driver to go for it. Luckily, we are old farts and gave up drag racing long ago (at least when there are witnesses around).
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:35 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
redmond , Oregon
I tow with a 2010 tundra crew max limited (love heated seats) and drive a bmw 330 ci love convert! the tundra/hensley in great with 27 fb safari. tundra is great tow veh but oh the as bill!
rashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have a 2008 Tundra 5.7 double cab and I love it. I recommend the bucket seats with the floor shift because it is much easier to downshift. The motor is great as is the 6 spd transmission. There is plenty of room for napping when you are not driving. If you want an SUV go for the Sequoia- same drivetrain, but check your rear axle loading to make sure that you are ok.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The right turbodiesel will be the best choice, IMO.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
Lyle & Margie

2008 28' International CCD
Lakeside , California
ScoutandBear:

We've been towing our 08, 28' International with our 08 Yukon Hybrid for two and a half years now. Over 25000 miles so far. Most of these miles have been on trips in the West (one to the East to watch a Shuttle Launch), including more than 3 dozen trips over the Continental Divide and one over the Bear Tooth Hwy At 11K feet. We're sending this while on the road to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, our third year in a row.

We've been been averaging (towing) 13-13.5 mpg over this time. Our best leg was from San Diego, CA (where we live), to Hamilton, MT, 14.9 mpg, our worst was Bismarck, ND to Pierre, SD 200 miles into a 50 mph head wind, got 8.9 mpg. When not towing we get 22 hwy 21 city.

We try and tow light, the last time on the scales the AS weighed 6200 lbs loaded for the road. We tend to drive at 55 to 60 mph.

Lyle & Margie
BAB BMRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:39 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1987 27' Sovereign
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutandBear View Post
Hi all!
We just bought our first trailer - a 2005 Airstream International CCD 25. Now we need something to tow it with! We are wondering if a hybrid SUV could do the job, and while we know it won't save gas on the highway, we are hoping to spend less on gas when we are un-hitched. Does anyone have any experience with this, or any recommendations? If not a hybrid (which is our preference), any other suggestions for a tow vehicle? We would like an SUV, to take advantage of the space for storage, and some comfy napping while the other person drives.

Thanks in advance!
I haven't purchased one but the Ford F-150 Hybrid might be a good option. The numbers for torque (>500 ft-lbs) look great and gas mileage when not towing looks about 4mpg better than the 3.5l ecoboost. I'm not a real Ford guy but they look to have put together a nice truck. In my opinion the car-like SUV's are more fun to drive but trucks and SUV's built on truck chassis control the load better with a longer wheelbase and just better stabilize the trailer in winds.
triptick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:59 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Boise , ID
Quote:
Originally Posted by triptick View Post
I haven't purchased one but the Ford F-150 Hybrid might be a good option. The numbers for torque (>500 ft-lbs) look great and gas mileage when not towing looks about 4mpg better than the 3.5l ecoboost. I'm not a real Ford guy but they look to have put together a nice truck. In my opinion the car-like SUV's are more fun to drive but trucks and SUV's built on truck chassis control the load better with a longer wheelbase and just better stabilize the trailer in winds.
I'm new to all this and not decided on anything. Just here to learn some... but, I'm most interested in the F150 Hybrid for the on board 30A plug. The power figures are nice and all, but it sure seems nice to have the ability to pack that much power around. First read about it here... https://www.cars.com/articles/game-c...amping-437816/
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:52 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Bump...

https://www.carindigo.com/bmw/x5-plu...owing-capacity

This gives a nice comparison among hybrid SUVs. We have the standard X5 and love it, but the hybrid might be a little underrated for a 25' AS.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote