Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2019, 01:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chapel Hill , NC
NC Weighted Plates for TV?

Hi everyone,

Can anyone living in NC explain weighted plates? We bought a used Ram 2500 from a very small (and young) dealer. He said we needed weighted plates on the truck because we were towing a trailer.

But we're not towing the trailer all the time. And I thought I read something that said you don't need weighted plates if you're towing a camper. A boat, yes. A trailer for ATVs, yes. Commercial trailer, yes. A camper, no. I am SO confused.

I tried to find anything that would provide better info online and I don't feel like I'm any closer to an answer. I called the DMV in Raleigh, who confirmed that the weighted plates only needed to cover the weight of the truck--camping trailers were exempt--but wouldn't tell me if they were the right plates for our situation.

Can anyone out there shed some light on this?

Thanks for any insight!!
Liz

2012 Ram 2500
2019 Globetrotter 27'
bakerliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You need weighted tags to go on the truck for the total amount of weight of the truck and any cargo you are going to carry or haul. If your truck weighs 6500 pounds and your trailer weighs 6500 pounds, you will need weighted tags for 13000 pounds, plus more if you are going to ever carry anything in the truck, like an 800 pound motorcycle, which would then be weighted tags for 13800 pounds.
If you want to roll the dice, and hope the DOT enforcement officer shares the same opinion about campers being exempt, you can register the weight at the GVWR of the truck.
The DMV here says the weight needs to cover the towed weight, no matter what kind of trailer it is.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:54 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
NC doesn't make it very clear. I called DMV a few times about this. What I was told was the weight of the truck plus any cargo weight, not camper weight. So my payload being 5K lbs and truck 8K lbs, I got the 12K lb rating. I'm not likely to get anywhere near that payload, so 12 should work.

Hard to get straight answers so I hope they got it right with me.
lcseds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
You need weighted tags to go on the truck for the total amount of weight of the truck and any cargo you are going to carry or haul. If your truck weighs 6500 pounds and your trailer weighs 6500 pounds, you will need weighted tags for 13000 pounds, plus more if you are going to ever carry anything in the truck, like an 800 pound motorcycle, which would then be weighted tags for 13800 pounds.
If you want to roll the dice, and hope the DOT enforcement officer shares the same opinion about campers being exempt, you can register the weight at the GVWR of the truck.
The DMV here says the weight needs to cover the towed weight, no matter what kind of trailer it is.
I think Overlander63 is correct, as long as you are talking about a truck. However, if you have a 3/4 ton SUV it doesn't apply as the SUV is not a truck. I had an SUV for towing my boat when I didn't have a RV and found out that weighted tags didn't apply to SUV's. When I upgraded to a 3/4 ton truck for my Airstream the weighted Tags applied.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:41 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Well that sux...🤔

...you need commercial plates to tow an AS in NC?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-02-2019, 04:43 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Bob
🇺🇸
My truck tag is "Commercial Private", and tags are around $500 a year, including several different types of property tax. The tag itself is about $125 a year, but nobody can pay that, because you have to pay taxes on the vehicle at the same time.
Regular tags are about $30 plus taxes.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:11 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
And I thought the NY DMV was sad...private-commercial, "oxymoron"?...would make a great vanity plate in NC 🤯

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-02-2019, 05:46 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
And I thought the NY DMV was sad...private-commercial, "oxymoron"?...would make a great vanity plate in NC 🤯

Bob
🇺🇸
I've learned over the years, that we don't realize how messed up our state and local governments are until we move somewhere else.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:

Bob
🇺🇸
Based on your question, I did a little more research. It looks like my Airstream would be exempt from any calculation for weighted tags. Looks like, in NC, RV’s are exempt from weighted tags just like SUV’s are exempt from weighted tags.

Appears the weighted tag calculation is based on the weight of the truck, passengers in the truck, non-RV trailer and, whatever is being carried in/on the trailer. I have seen where the limit that requires a weighted tag to be either 9,000lbs or 10,000lbs (I’m not sure what the current weight is for a weighted tag). So, if I have a 6,000lb truck pulling a 1,500lb trailer carrying a 4,000 lb boat (11,500lbs total) then I would need a weighted tag because the 11,500 is greater than the 9,000lb or 10,000lb limit.

Let’s assume that 10,000lb is the weighted tag exemption. If CGWR of your truck/passengers/truck cargo is <10,000lbs then you would not need a weighted tag to tow an RV in NC as the RV axle weight is exempt. You might need to check further to see if the tongue weight transferred from the RV to the truck is included in the 10,000lb limit. I have a feeling that it is since it looks like only the RV axle weight is excluded.

I my particular situation, my truck weighs 7,880lbs full of gas with no passengers. If all I had was my Airstream to tow I would not need weighted tags as my truck + passengers + tongue weight would be below 10,000lbs. However, when towing my boat and trailer, the added weight is 4,500 lbs. I would exceed the 10,000lbs and need the weighted tags.

I think you would also have to upgrade to a Class A license if total CGWR exceeded 26,000lbs or if you towed greater than 10,000 lbs.

Based on my previous response, be aware that you get what you pay for regarding the above info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WeightedTag-1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	334750   Click image for larger version

Name:	WeightedTag-2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	334751  

GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:37 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Also, if you end up going to the DMV yourself to get your travel trailer registered, make absolutely sure the person "helping" you knows what they are doing. A travel trailer (type CT) in North Carolina does not require an annual inspection, but any other trailer without quarters that weighs over 4000 pounds has to be inspected. I got into a pretty heated argument when I went to register our travel trailer, the clerk insisted it was a different class, and if they had gone ahead the way they wanted, the trailer would have been subject to all license and inspection requirements of a regular, non-camping trailer.
That's not exactly what this thread is about, but is something that needs people here to be aware of.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Hey, an F250 crew cab in NY requires Commercial plates because it is a few hundred pounds over the passenger weight classification. So, NY commercial plates on that truck when I towed west over mountain passes with a variety of trailers in the winter and early spring meant I had to adhere to commercial chain regulations or pay the fine at the top of the hill where they were watching (putting chains on a trailer with surge brakes doesn't make sense in my opinion). Let me say - I have spent many hours at Flying J's waiting until chain requirements lifted.
That being said Flying J does have a decent chicken fried steak.....
As the prior post stated. Do you research ahead of time (the internet is your friend) and go in being polite but informed, and hold a strong knowledgeable position.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerliz View Post
Hi everyone,

Can anyone living in NC explain weighted plates? We bought a used Ram 2500 from a very small (and young) dealer. He said we needed weighted plates on the truck because we were towing a trailer.

But we're not towing the trailer all the time. And I thought I read something that said you don't need weighted plates if you're towing a camper. A boat, yes. A trailer for ATVs, yes. Commercial trailer, yes. A camper, no. I am SO confused.

I tried to find anything that would provide better info online and I don't feel like I'm any closer to an answer. I called the DMV in Raleigh, who confirmed that the weighted plates only needed to cover the weight of the truck--camping trailers were exempt--but wouldn't tell me if they were the right plates for our situation.

Can anyone out there shed some light on this?

Thanks for any insight!!
Liz

2012 Ram 2500
2019 Globetrotter 27'
First, in NC, yes you need to purchase "weighted" plates for a pickup truck. There is a the minimum plate (5000 lbs max load, I think) then you have purchase additional weight in 1000 lb increments. But how much weight you need depends on how much your truck weighs and how much weight you want to carry.

Second, YOUR TRAVEL TRAILER HAS AN EXEMPTION.
This is what is exempt (a quote from the NC title manual: Section 1, Chapter 2, page 3)>
"Camping trailers are not to be included in the weight declared for license on a truck, if used only for recreational purposes. License weight on the truck should include the tongue part that is in the truck only, not full weight of camper. Fee for a camping trailer is $14.00."

This is a link to that manual:
https://connect.ncdot.gov/business/D...e%20manual.pdf

PS:
I printed a copy of this page and carry it with me in my tow vehicle. A lot of law enforcement officers are not aware of this exemption. And, in other states where this might not be the law, all states have reciprocity agreements. That means, if you are legal in your state then other states accept NC regulations/laws like this while you are there. There is a list in the NC General Statutes
Old 03-02-2019, 07:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
I calculated the license weight I needed this way:
Tow vehicle - GVWR 7200 lbs
34' travel trailer - GVWR 9,000 lbs & tongue weight ~1,100 to 1,200
10' utility trailer - GVWR 3,500 lbs & tongue weight ~ 400 to 500 lbs

Assume maximum load (GVWR) of tow vehicle includes tongue weight

7,200 lbs - tow vehicles should never exceed GVRW carrying tongue weight
…...0 lbs - travel trailer exempt weight of load on trailer axles.
+3,000 lbs - utility trailer load on axle.
10,200 lbs = weight required to be licensed.

I purchased the 10,000 lb license because the general statutes states there is an allowance for error of 50% of one increment (up to 499 lbs over weight) without penalty. If my combination vehicle (truck & UT) get weighed I am legally licensed for 10,499 lbs.
There is no way I will ever be overweight towing my 34'!

If I did not have the utility trailer I would purchase 8,000 lb license.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
<<snip>>
This is what is exempt (a quote from the NC title manual: Section 1, Chapter 2, page 3)>
<<snip>>
^^ ^^ ^^ ^^
ERROR
should say "Section 2, Chapter 1, page 3"
Old 03-02-2019, 08:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I've learned over the years, that we don't realize how messed up our state and local governments are until we move somewhere else.
Try doing business with the Feds. Then you’ll appreciate your state & local people more.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote