Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
Does anyone know a link to similar crash tests on older models.I will be looking for an older F150 when I am ready to get my trailer on the road.Would like to get one now so I could run off and tow home another Airstream but driveway is full and insurance cost prohibitive here for second vehicle.
I will be getting a F150 from '70's to about 92 model depending on what kind of deal comes up.I've been loyal to the Fords since my dad's Edsel.Maybe I should get me one of those.I'm not going to tow anything but the boat with my Bronco2 from now on.
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:29 PM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
Bob, I'm not saying you are wrong about the 2005 models, but 2004 and earlier had abominable crash test results. I wouldn't want to be in one of them in a front-end accident. There are some amazing pictures available here:

http://www.leasetips.com/f150crashtest.htm

and here:

http://www.bridger.us/2002/12/16/Cra...operVsFordF150

Does anyone have a link to 2005 model year crash test results for the F150?
Rich, 2003 and prior F150's had horrible crash test ratings, I think the only way they could be less, is if the Insurance Institute allowed negative numbers...
The 2004 is completely different, and now has a 4 or 5 star offset front crash rating. If I had to choose reliability or safety, I would choose the former, just my personal opinion. Of course, I hate airbags, too, but that is also another story for another thread.
Terry
Old 01-23-2005, 02:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
2004 F-150 Crash Test

Check this link out:

http://www.hwysafety.org/news_releas...3/pr121903.htm
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 03:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Thanks guys, for the info. I see that the re-design which took effect with the 2004 model year changed things quite a bit. I would be cautious with used (2003 and earlier) F-150s if safety is a concern, but it looks like the new ones are a different story!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 03:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I bought the Toyota Tundra, 4.7L Force V8 with the trailer towing package. Just got home and have to say this is a beautiful pick-up. I hope I made a good decision, thank you all for your help. This forum is great. Hope some day I can actually get to a rally and meet some of you. I have an Argosy that I love, but this silver truck would look wonderful pulling an Airstream. Judy and Bob
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 03:51 PM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
I bought the Toyota Tundra, 4.7L Force V8 with the trailer towing package. Just got home and have to say this is a beautiful pick-up. I hope I made a good decision, thank you all for your help. This forum is great. Hope some day I can actually get to a rally and meet some of you. I have an Argosy that I love, but this silver truck would look wonderful pulling an Airstream. Judy and Bob
The Florida State rally is in about a month, it would be a great inaugural trip for you!
Terry
Old 01-23-2005, 05:37 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
How do I find out more information about the rally? We have never been to one. I don't know that we could get the Argosy ready in a month, it's still very cold here and it's winterized. Also, it's just too cold to work on it and we just got it in November. Don't know what's working and what's not. Don't really know HOW to work some of the stuff on it. The cushions are at the upholstery shop right now, but should be here by next week. Still the rally sounds like fun. Judy and Bob
Old 01-23-2005, 07:21 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Stanwood , WA
Send a message via MSN to Bill M Send a message via Skype™ to Bill M
Tow vehicle

Just thought I would note our 04 Diesel Excursion is great for towing. We had a 00 DSL and like the new engine and tranny this year. Lots of power, 17.5 @ 70, 13-14 towing the 25' Tradewind Land Yacht. I prefer it to a pickup as we travel with our 7 kitties. I am getting an 05 as it will probably be the last year. We plan on a 28' CCD soon and will do some more traveling. We commute between SEA area and Whitefish Montana, so over the mountains is normal.
Love our Airstream, it lives inside all winter.
Bill M
7 kitties
Stanwood WA & Whitefish Mt
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 05:27 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I'm sure my Argosy would love to come live with you INSIDE. Do you really have cats or are you talking about children. Of course my four cats and two Poms are now my children since the kids are grown. The Poms love a "road trip", the cats like to stay at home and be comfortable. I would like to have your tow vehicle, but that's a little out of my price range. thanks, Judy and Bob
Old 01-25-2005, 02:30 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

tow vehicle....toureg/cayanne

Yes....Similar car only $20,000 difference in features...but pulling should be the same. So....anybody got experinece pulling a 25 with either?
ASFlorida25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I tow an Excella 25 with a Tundra so I thought I should chime in. As long as you keep the speed respectable the Tundra is certainly up to the job, and the gas mileage at 13 is not bad, but.....you can't find suitable extendable towing mirrors for the Tundra. Everybody elses tow package at least offers them, but not Tundra, so you'll have to put up with clip on's or McKesh's. I tow a lot, like 20,000 miles per year, and this has become an irritating issue. How could Tundra say they have a tow package, when the mirrors don't meet the mirror requirements of any state when I'm towing my Excella? For this reason alone, I would choose the Nissan Titan over the Tundra next time.
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:42 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Bob,
Glad you chimed in! I mentioned a Titan a few posts back, and was ignored. My 2003 Tundra performed like yours with my 25 Excella, and I was not completely pleased. I was on my way to get a F-250 (my second one) when a friend said, "At least look at a Titan". I now own one, and while I can't do a side by side comparison, it appears to perform at least as well as my older 3/4 ton. With the 5 speed auto, I shift into 4th and can maintain 55 on any grade I've encountered in Texas. The extendable mirrors work great! Maybe we should have a 5/8 ton category for the Nissan Titan.
ricksre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 05:53 PM   #33
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASFlorida25
Yes....Similar car only $20,000 difference in features...but pulling should be the same. So....anybody got experinece pulling a 25 with either?
One of the forum members has a T-reg he tows with, he says he is happy with the setup.
Terry
Old 02-11-2005, 11:09 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
One of the forum members has a T-reg he tows with, he says he is happy with the setup.
Terry
I do and I am.

I tow a 22' CCD with my Treg and Towhead pulls a 25' CCD with his.

He's very happy too.
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 11:29 AM   #35
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
...and I want to be happy too. So someday a Treg for me....

Jonathan
Old 02-11-2005, 11:49 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
How anyone can tow an American Icon (Airstream) with a Japanese truck is beyond me.
Before you start flaming me...I know they have some assembly plants in the US....and you should be able to take a joke .....

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:38 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Our New Tundra!

Hey, Juel -- We are really loving our new Tundra d-cab. It's a beautiful truck, inside and out, and the ride is just amazing. Our hat is off to the great folks back in Indiana :-) who built this fine vehicle.

If all goes as we hope, we'll be using it to tow home a '76 Safari 23 this weekend. We're using a Quality-s/Reese type hitch with Reese sway bars and McKesh mirrors for the view behind us. JeepinAudiophile (Chad) put in a new Prodigy brake controller for us and did a super job!

I'll let you know about our first towing experience after the weekend.

-Jamie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tundra..JPG
Views:	185
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	10461  
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:10 AM   #38
Alaskan Camper

Fairbanks , Alaska
I also have a 2004 Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4 and it's great! I have had it for about a year now and would hate to have to get rid of it for anything. I buy things for their quality and safety not because of were they are made.

My wife, son and I were in a head on crash going 50 this summer and all walked away from it with only a couple of burses and $21,000 in damages, fortunately nobody was killed. I don't care were it was made as far as I'm concerned it saved our lives.

Ron

Ours is also Blue and no they didn't total it, replaced the frame and $21,000 later I had it back! It i
Ron C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 10:04 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
I know I need a V8
Completely off the topic but I pulled my 1976 Argosy 24 from Detroit, MI. to Shreveport, LA and back again with a GMC Safari Minivan, with the trailer towing package, (standard on the newer models), with the 4.3L V-6. It towed BEAUTIFULLY!
I am not sure what the difference in weight would be from the 1978 Argosy 24 and the 1976 Argosy 24. I do know that I was pushing 4,500lbs or more.
I would, however, rather have a V-8 and have too much power train then to have something too small without enough power.
Since I am born and bred here in the Metro-Detroit area, I would have to say go with the Ford or Dodge.
JD Power has ranked the Dodge PU fairly high. I think they recently took the JD Power best-built light truck award. Not sure though.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 10:11 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
How anyone can tow an American Icon (Airstream) with a Japanese truck is beyond me.
Before you start flaming me...I know they have some assembly plants in the US....and you should be able to take a joke .....
I like the Toyota truck. It is built in Indiana. Well-built.
Does anybody know how much the Toyota line workers make? Just wondering...
I know that the GM line workers make about $22/hr. plus benefits. Not that I like the UAW but the more the lineworkers make the more I make!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote