Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 05:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
My new dream truck.

I wonder how long it will be before this is actually practical. My 2021 1500 GMC goes 700 miles pulling my 25' without needing refueling. I just can't see charging every 200 miles. Maybe by the time I fully retire this will be practical and enjoyable. I truly have enjoyed my previous EVs.

In Max Power mode, this next-gen system gives the Sierra EV Denali Edition 1 a whopping 754 horsepower†, 785 lb.-ft of torque†, a max towing capacity of up to 9,500 lbs.†, and when you need it — 0–60 mph† acceleration in less than 4.5 seconds.

The Sierra EV Denali Edition 1 is capable of 400 miles† of range with a full charge. When it’s time to charge up, Sierra EV Denali Edition 1 also has 350-kW DC fast-charging† capabilities, allowing you to charge up to 100 miles of range in approximately 10 minutes.

https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/trucks/...t--EVDenaliCTA

An Aistream has got to be the most used towing prop in history!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GMC Sierra EV Denali.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	426175  
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
Old 12-13-2022, 06:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
This only works as long as you manage to find working 350-kW DC fast-chargers every 200 miles along whatever route you're traveling.
Old 12-13-2022, 06:23 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

South Tahoe , Nevada
Your dream truck towing your Airstream as you do now is 5-7 years away on the conservative side.
Old 12-13-2022, 06:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
700 miles, does it have a 50 gallon tank?
Old 12-13-2022, 06:59 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
An Aistream has got to be the most used towing prop in history!
Yeah it’s a honey. The Silverado is a touch better actually, higher towing and payload, extra gear has a penalty, but that Denali is wicked looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
This only works as long as you manage to find working 350-kW DC fast-chargers every 200 miles along whatever route you're traveling.
Rapidly a non issue. The Electrify America V2 are going to be half deployed by the end of the year and fully by summer. Much better EVSE’s, and not to mention the NEMI charging coming online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetstreamAS View Post
Your dream truck towing your Airstream as you do now is 5-7 years away on the conservative side.
Not if you consider the greater towing authority you have with an EV, stress free up/down hill, seemingly limitless torque and power, dually like ‘planted’ (better actually) and rear wheel steer sway control, far cheaper running costs not subject to the vagaries of foreign dictators or continual trips to the mechanic, plus all the latest tech (cameras, apps etc). The only small downside - presently - is the need for somewhat more frequent and longer stops. But for a typical 5 hour driving day it looks like one stop for lunch/charge will do you, so I don’t see any issues with that.

As mentioned above the charging density getting addressed very fast.
Old 12-13-2022, 07:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Wow, towing 700 miles in one stretch would not be a dream for me even in my younger days. Today, I can’t imagine, wanting to tow more than 500 miles in one day, and only if I was forced to.
Old 12-13-2022, 07:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
700 miles, does it have a 50 gallon tank?
Yes, in the bed. 76 gallons total.
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
Old 12-13-2022, 07:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
The one trend in EVs I really don't like is the emphasis on the dash touchscreen for everything, and elimination of tactile well placed buttons and knobs. I can adjust the music volume with one knob without taking my eyes off the road. Having to navigate three menus deep to get volume control may be cool, but annoying.
Old 12-13-2022, 07:44 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Northern , California
Quote:
The one trend in EVs I really don't like is the emphasis on the dash touchscreen for everything, and elimination of tactile well placed buttons and knobs. I can adjust the music volume with one knob without taking my eyes off the road. Having to navigate three menus deep to get volume control may be cool, but annoying.
Yeah I hate that, I’m not fond of Teslas. In my day job we’ve discussed this for ages and worked with customers on it, what we found is a combination of touch and tactile is best. GM gets it also, they’ve said that customers want this, and they way they did it for my Bolt and going forward is that climate controls and high priority (traction control, hazard etc) are all buttons, with all the steering wheel buttons, and pure informational is on the screen. With the exception of a row of control softkeys along the side of the screen.

It’s really the right balance.
Old 12-13-2022, 07:50 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

South Tahoe , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingDan View Post
Not if you consider the greater towing authority you have with an EV, stress free up/down hill, seemingly limitless torque and power, dually like ‘planted’ (better actually) and rear wheel steer sway control, far cheaper running costs not subject to the vagaries of foreign dictators or continual trips to the mechanic, plus all the latest tech (cameras, apps etc). The only small downside - presently - is the need for somewhat more frequent and longer stops. But for a typical 5 hour driving day it looks like one stop for lunch/charge will do you, so I don’t see any issues with that.

As mentioned above the charging density getting addressed very fast.

Like I said earlier, 5-7 years away to do it as he (and many) do it now. What your stated does not change that.
Old 12-13-2022, 08:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Quote:
Rapidly a non issue. The Electrify America V2 are going to be half deployed by the end of the year and fully by summer. Much better EVSE’s, and not to mention the NEMI charging coming online.
I wish I had a nickel for every NEW GREATEST THING that was ONLY 6 MONTHS AWAY. There is a reason the terms unobtanium and vaporware were coined. When these great new charging venues are up and running, reliably, wake me up.
Old 12-13-2022, 11:47 PM   #12
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
I wasn't sure about the lack of tactile buttons before we got our Model Y, but don't miss them at all now (with one exception, noted below. Volume controls are on the steering wheel, I have never used a menu for them, let alone going three menus deep. The voice command button is also on the steering wheel, and that takes you to a variety of menus where the same thumbwheels have a new purpose (mirror adjustments, etc). No need to take eyes off the road. The glovebox door soft button is several menus deep, and it doesn't have a physical button on it, but pressing the voice command button on the steering wheel and saying Open Glove Box works fine.

There are also shortcuts built in. The wiper controls are in a menu. But a short push of the button on the end of the turn signal stalk does a single sweep (mist) if it is not held long enough for the washer. That same button pulls up the wiper menu for a short time, if you want to adjust from fast to slow to intermittent. That said, I have rarely adjusted that, because the rain sensor is much better than my BMWs were, and the wipers have been on rain sensing 24/7 for two years now.

Thinking about it now, another factor in not missing physical buttons is the virtual fob on a smartphone, with driver profiles. Approaching the vehicle, it sets everything. There are far more personal settings than we had on previous vehicles, so there is less adjusting with two drivers.

The other change we noticed was the trend towards more automatic settings (like the rain sensing wipers). Initially we had to set seat heaters (low/medium/high) and these were always used by my wife. An over the air upgrade gave us automatic settings on the seat heaters, and also decoupled them from the auto climate settings, so we no longer adjust them, we just let the car do it.

The one tactile button I miss is the driver door window switch. There are four window switches, all identical, and so it isn't obvious which one is the driver's door from first touch. The first vehicle I had with a raised bump on the driver's door window switch was a Taurus, in the '80's. Tesla should add it.
Old 12-14-2022, 03:13 AM   #13
BRS
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , AZ
Charging stations

Are any charging stations set up for a TV and a trailer? They all look like they are set up for cars
Old 12-14-2022, 05:11 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
San Francisco , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Wow, towing 700 miles in one stretch would not be a dream for me even in my younger days. Today, I can’t imagine, wanting to tow more than 500 miles in one day, and only if I was forced to.
Agreed, it’s not the most fun, but sometimes schedules demand it.

Did a cannonball run across the country this summer for family, 2,800 towing miles in 4 days, so I guess that’s 700/day averaged. Other than setups and tear downs, there wasn’t much happening besides driving and sleeping. I guess coffee and podcasts.
Old 12-14-2022, 07:47 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Raleigh , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCountry View Post
Agreed, it’s not the most fun, but sometimes schedules demand it.

Did a cannonball run across the country this summer for family, 2,800 towing miles in 4 days, so I guess that’s 700/day averaged. Other than setups and tear downs, there wasn’t much happening besides driving and sleeping. I guess coffee and podcasts.
Yikes. That's a plane ticket for me.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
The UI on my past 2019 Tesla P3D is why I did not keep it. Other than the amazing acceleration there was not much else I liked about it. Ok, I used the fart mode on my youngest and nearly wrecked the car laughing. He literally thought it was his mother in the front seat and even rolled the back window down.

I rented an Audi E-Tron on my last AZ visit and just loved it until it was time to charge. The hotel did not have a charger but said I could plug it into an outside outlet. No Way! I found a DC charger at the SanTan mall but after nearly 30 minutes trying and on the phone with tech support, I had to drive 12 miles to another DC charger and it still took 15 minutes and another call to tech support but they finally got the charger to output. I went for a long dinner and came back to find someone else using the other charging port and after an hour and a half, all I had was 80 miles added. All my prior EVs were charged at home or the office. I would not take one on a road trip. I just don't have the patience for it.

I read where some of the truck stops were going to be installing chargers but it did not mention if they were going to be designed as pull-throughs.

My max range of nearly 900 miles allows me to hardly ever need to fill up with the trailer attached. We usually go from Broomfield, CO to Mesa, AZ in one drive. 14 hours depending on traffic and road work with numerous brief rest stops along the way. It is much quicker to just pull into a rest stop, use the trailer facilities and grab a sandwich out of the fridge than trying to fill up at a station. It works great for us, but understand it is not for everyone. Thank heavens for audiobooks. It really does help the time pass.
Old 12-14-2022, 01:51 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Northern , California
Quote:
Like I said earlier, 5-7 years away to do it as he (and many) do it now. What your stated does not change that.
It’ll never be the same, the driving and towing experience will always be different ICE vis-a-vis EV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
I wish I had a nickel for every NEW GREATEST THING that was ONLY 6 MONTHS AWAY. There is a reason the terms unobtanium and vaporware were coined. When these great new charging venues are up and running, reliably, wake me up.
Survivorship bias, your probably don’t notice the times when a change is six months away, it happens all the time.
Old 12-14-2022, 01:59 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

South Tahoe , Nevada
Quote:
It’ll never be the same, the driving and towing experience will always be different ICE vis-a-vis EV.
I never said it would be the same. Was referring (twice) to the distance that OP stated he could travel without stopping (for fuel). What you said (for the third time) does not change this.

Not sure if you own a trailer now or have in the past, or if you have you towed a trailer with an EV and an ICE vehicle. Lots of conjecture out there about "what will be" and whatnot. It will be interesting to see how this plays out....in 5 to 7 years.
Old 12-14-2022, 02:33 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Poway , California
1000 miles

My 2009 GMC 2500HD pulling the trailer gets a little over 10 miles/gallon depending on the hills. With a 26 gallon tank I did not want to hit a gas station every 230 or so miles. I installed this 82 gallon transfer tank and added a side door to my shell. Transferflow.com all DOT approved. Install was easy.

First big trip took 2 days to go from San Diego to Glenwood Springs, CO which is just at 1000 miles and did not need to stop for gas.

Shorter trips don't need to fill it up as much but the option is there.

Why does the jpg upload rotate my pictures upside down?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220416_161823.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	473.4 KB
ID:	426194   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220416_161918.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	487.9 KB
ID:	426195  

Old 12-14-2022, 06:37 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Northern , California
Quote:
I never said it would be the same. Was referring (twice) to the distance that OP stated he could travel without stopping (for fuel). What you said (for the third time) does not change this.
Don’t get touchy, we’re just having a nice discussion on the internet I’m saying that OK now you can drive 700 miles, well then you have to charge for a long - really long, time probably. BYD is claiming a 5 minute charging time (no verification of this that I know of), but no battery has zero internal resistance, and unlikely that’ll ever change unless physics changes or some radical approach. So hypothetically instead of driving 700 miles straight with a X hour charging (not near your campsite probably) a person might consider a different approach, FWIW.

Quote:
Not sure if you own a trailer now or have in the past, or if you have you towed a trailer with an EV and an ICE vehicle. Lots of conjecture out there about "what will be" and whatnot.
A persons personal experience isn't relevant to the validity of what they’re saying which stands on it’s own basis, but since you brought it up I spent the first half of my life towing in many circumstances, and have worked on farms. Since EV towing is so new sorry if I don’t have any experience with that yet. Otherwise don’t disagree that yes it will be interesting

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how this plays out....in 5 to 7 years
Yes you’ve made that point several times shame on you! Just joking it will be interesting, but I think somewhat predictable at this point. Having worked in R&D for thirty years and seeing the OEM’s roadmaps, we’ll get 550-600 miles in 2025 by GM’s chemistry plan, but expect 2026. 700-800 miles after that by 2030, but we’re reaching the limit of traditional Li. The next breakthrough will probably semi-solid state, GM is working on that with a partner. That will come in 2030 maybe, and no prediction on what that will look like.

Yes lots of speculation, well that’s what we do with new technologies in R&D

peace -
Closed Thread