Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2020, 09:06 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Aviator, we've been waiting for a new RAM 1500 Ecodiesel to weigh in, congratulations on snagging one!

How does it feel under acceleration compared to your F150 gas? What's your door sticker's payload number? Post some photos!
Thats the question I had also...payload on the RAM's has been typically very low...1100-1300 range from what I saw in recent years with the Hemi's. I would think the 27 and the other AS mentioned have a hefty tongue weight for that 1500??

Other question is status of the ED...did they fix the issues with that engine yet? Sounded so promising when it was first out...several people here liked it. Haven't followed it lately, but be interesting to get an update from an owner...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:03 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
Addititives

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Do you feel better additives exist for added lubricity and water demulsification than Stanadyne? What do you recommend for a CP4 equipped diesel like the 6.7L ford?
I really haven't researched this in detail. The Bosch certified fuel injection shop I buy from said their number 1 customers are people driving Duramax's. Performance Formula was their #1 seller. Given the clear tribology issues in the CP4, it makes sense to run Lubricity Formula. In terms of dosing, it's about 1/2 the price of running Performance Formula. I will probably move to Lubricity Formula when I run out of Performance on my 6.7 Cummins.

I'm not concerned with fuel mileage. Stanadyne claims that Performance Formula increases fuel mileage. So I will probably do some kind of comparison as I move toward adopting Lubricity Formula.
Specsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:28 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specsalot View Post
I really haven't researched this in detail. The Bosch certified fuel injection shop I buy from said their number 1 customers are people driving Duramax's. Performance Formula was their #1 seller. Given the clear tribology issues in the CP4, it makes sense to run Lubricity Formula. In terms of dosing, it's about 1/2 the price of running Performance Formula. I will probably move to Lubricity Formula when I run out of Performance on my 6.7 Cummins.

I'm not concerned with fuel mileage. Stanadyne claims that Performance Formula increases fuel mileage. So I will probably do some kind of comparison as I move toward adopting Lubricity Formula.
Thanks. After looking at the Stanadyne site, I came to the same conclusion.. to switch to Lubricity Formula, as itís focused more on what I want to accomplish: added lubricity and deemulsification.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:21 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I use the Stanadyne Warm Weather Performance Formula year round. I have noticed quieter injectors especially when the engine is cold. I can't say I have gained anything in MPG. I do it mostly to keep the injectors clean, lubricity and demulsifies the water.
Back when I had an older VW Jetta Diesel there was a definite decrease in the amount of smoke out the exhaust pipe under heavy acceleration.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:14 AM   #85
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
crispyboy - I'm not an engine designer, but I've spent many years involved with O&M on large marine diesel engines. When I was in engineering school (many moons ago) we studied diesel engineering design principals. Engine design evolution is an interesting subject. VW has never been shy about its 'incremental' approach to excellence. It's honestly true of all engine builders.

There are interesting and challenging tradeoff's involved with increasing engine performance envelopes while meeting increasingly stringent emission requirements.

The adoption of AdBlue (urea) and the use of Selective Catalytic Reduction chemistry transfers more of the emission compliance technology to the exhaust system. This helps eliminate restrictions on the combustion process which allows higher combustion temperatures and higher compression ratio's. These changes produce increased torque, improved engine efficiency without impacting emissions.

The tradeoff in getting more power with AdBlue (SCR) chemistry is that better combustion is required. Improved combustion reduces NOx formation during engine power strokes. Achieving this 'better combustion' requires higher common rail pressure. This raises HPFP pump stresses revealing underlying pump design flaws. The low lubricity of USLSD is a significant factor in pump failures.

Higher speed engines are more sensitive to fuel cetane values. The most logical use of cetane boosting additives is in today's crop of Eco-diesels because they run at higher RPM's than larger displacement HD truck diesel engines. My 2011 Golf TDI was not as sensitive to cetane because VW had leveraged the use of high speed piezo injectors to quiet the engine and lower its sensitivity to fuel combustibility. The TDI was much quieter running lubricity formula than my Jeep CRD (Mercedes engine) running performance formula. The Jeep engine sounded like shaking a can of bolts compared to the TDI. The Mercedes diesel also used piezo injectors, but MB had not begun to use that technology to produce quieter combustion. I suspect MB was using the piezo's to fatten the performance curve of the engine.

The newest crop of engines deliver high power and torque, but their fuel systems are more fragile. The tradeoff's are only going to get worse as emission requirements ratchet upward. Running a lubricity additive is cheap insurance.
Specsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:27 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Just returned from a six-day cross-country roundtrip between Tampa Florida and Green Bay Wisconsin (via Bloomington IL) with my 2019 F250 Diesel 4x4 and 27’ Airstream. I drove the on Interstate highways at the 70 mph speed limit the whole way. Some days had significant headwinds, some days had significant tailwinds, and some days had nasty crosswinds. I believe the number of headwind and tailwind days cancelled each other out. I also took the rig on a short loop north of Green Bay to Oconto WI and Lena WI. Of the total 3,246 miles on the trip computer, I calculated 115 miles were not towing. Fuel mileage from the onboard computer stated 11.6 mpg. The 372 miles to empty reflects the distance the computer calculates the 36 gallon fuel tank can go. My experience is that it could go at least 50 miles more than that based on the number of gallons of fuel it takes to refill the tank when the low fuel light comes on at 50 miles to empty. I typically put in about 26 gallons of the 36 gallon tank when it reads 50 miles to empty. This is the most accurate fuel mileage run I can imagine ever making with 3,246 miles of nearly continuous driving with the 27' Airstream attached in six days. Attached is a picture of the trip computer which was reset at the beginning of the trip that documents the fuel mileage. The truck and Airstream were completely loaded, basically nearly at GVWR which is 10,000# for the truck and 7,600# for the Airstream based on historical weight tickets https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...-166881-2.html.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11101F1C-092E-4F66-AC42-18F11A05C6BE.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	367179  
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:54 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
25' Airstream. 2007 Dodge diesel. 14-15 mpg with no wind pulling at 63 mph. Previously got 9 mag with F150 pulling at 45-55 mph.

I have gotten as high as 17 for an all day run with a tailwind going east in Mn. and as low as 11.5 with heavy headwinds. And the fuel in the midwest does not do well.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:21 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Good point Bill about the fuel in the Midwest. I try to avoid Biofuel, but many Midwestern states require Biofuel. I bought Biofuel in Wisconsin and Illinois both ways and saw a significant drop in fuel mileage. I also used Pilot and Love's on this trip which also results in bad fuel mileage in my experience. Others have said that winter fuel also gets less mileage. I also was not trying to save fuel while driving 3,200 miles in six days. So I'd say that 11.6 mpg is about as bad as one could expect from an F250 4x4 pulling a 27' Airstream at Interstate highway speeds with light winds. It can get worse into a steep headwind and it can be great with a stiff tailwind. I thought this trip was a good honest mileage to post. Sure I could probably post 14.5 at lower speeds and/or with a stiff tailwind, but that is not typical for me. For trip planning purposes, I use an average of 12 MPG and 50 MPH. On this trip I averaged 56 MPH and 11.6 MPG since I was more on a mission.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote