Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2020, 08:54 AM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
From a GW to Burb's...No real size/mobility concerns with either one.
The important thing for us, learning the limits of each one.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_28ba.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	361137   Click image for larger version

Name:	HAHA SHAKEDOWN 014.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	361138  

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1030.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	361139  
Old 02-15-2020, 09:09 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
From a GW to Burb's...No real size/mobility concerns with either one.
The important thing for us, learning the limits of each one.

Bob
🇺🇸
Bob; is that the 8.1 liter 3/4 ton Suburban? I had one of those (2003??) and loved it. Unfortunately I had to sell it when I moved to the East Coast in 2006.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:37 AM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
Bob; is that the 8.1 liter 3/4 ton Suburban? I had one of those (2003??) and loved it. Unfortunately I had to sell it when I moved to the East Coast in 2006.
Yes...2006 last year in the Burb, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_7a8.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	361141   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_14ce.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	361142  

Name:	fullsizeoutput_14c1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	353.9 KB
ID:	361143  
Old 02-15-2020, 09:49 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I went from a short wheelbase Expedition to an F250 diesel.. Not much difference in maneuverability in tight campsites. Huge difference in comfort while towing
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:19 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
I drive a long bed Tundra, 164" wheel base. No problems in any camp ground, it's a very stable towing platform (although it's not a Euro SUV )
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:59 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Scotts Valley , California
We have crew cab + 8’ bed and w the 25’ trailer we are 49’ total length. I do sometimes wish we had the 6.5’ box for better turning radius, but I’ve always been able to park our rig. Just not always easy. But getting better.
25Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:00 AM   #27
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
We have short bed 2500 and we have never been to a camp site that we could not get into.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:44 AM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Our F250 standard bed had a tighter turning radius than our F150 short bed, and rode more smoothly, as well. The 3/4 ton truck also had more payload, and seated us slightly higher, providing better visibility while driving.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:46 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I am reading a lot of answers that sound suspiciously like rationalization...
Of course a bigger turning radius results in less ability to turn both forward and backward! It may or may not impact you depending on where you camp but rest assured, you will be able to tell the difference.
One of the reasons I chose a RAM 2500 was its turning radius compared to the GM and Ford. It was still more than my previous F-150 though and I could tell.
I am currently driving an Audi Q7 with 4 wheel steering and the ability to place the trailer in a tight bend is shockingly different than it was in the trucks.
As others have said, you adjust...
BB
Old 02-16-2020, 07:52 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I am reading a lot of answers that sound suspiciously like rationalization...

Of course a bigger turning radius results in less ability to turn both forward and backward! It may or may not impact you depending on where you camp but rest assured, you will be able to tell the difference.

One of the reasons I chose a RAM 2500 was its turning radius compared to the GM and Ford. It was still more than my previous F-150 though and I could tell.

I am currently driving an Audi Q7 with 4 wheel steering and the ability to place the trailer in a tight bend is shockingly different than it was in the trucks.

As others have said, you adjust...

BB

I was surprised after we got our Ford that my friends Ram was nearly a foot shorter for same cab/box config. I’m sure the turning radius is better. That was not a metric that was that important but I do wish it was better.

I would LOVE to have 4 wheel steering
Old 02-16-2020, 08:11 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
We have short bed 2500 and we have never been to a camp site that we could not get into.
I can see that. I test drove a RAM 2500 short bed yesterday and it was only slightly longer than my current GMC 1500. I did a U-turn and the turning radius was really good too. If I could find one of those that had the features I want I would probably go that way, but there doesn't seem to be any around here right now.

The GMC 2500, even with the shorter bed, is a lot longer. That apparently changed with the redesign in 2019.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:12 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25Twin View Post
I was surprised after we got our Ford that my friends Ram was nearly a foot shorter for same cab/box config. I’m sure the turning radius is better. That was not a metric that was that important but I do wish it was better.

Well, I do not want to begin a truck vs car war but... my Audi does have an incredible payload rating and it certainly is a lovely vehicle to drive either towing or just driving around. The 4 wheel steering is amazing as is the air suspension (my 2500 actually had the optional rear air suspension). What I do miss is all of the space we had in the bed of a truck! What I am finding though, is that we tend to bring less and less along these days. I loved both of my trucks but I am very happy with this Audi!
BB
Old 02-16-2020, 08:16 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
I can see that. I test drove a RAM 2500 short bed yesterday and it was only slightly longer than my current GMC 1500. I did a U-turn and the turning radius was really good too. If I could find one of those that had the features I want I would probably go that way, but there doesn't seem to be any around here right now.

The GMC 2500, even with the shorter bed, is a lot longer. That apparently changed with the redesign in 2019.
When I purchased our RAM, we were actually on an Airstream trip. I made the deal while in Florida and picked up the truck on the way home to New England in Wilmington NC. We got a great deal and that dealer had an amazing inventory of trucks. I’d drive that distance again to buy the truck I wanted in a heartbeat!
BB
Old 02-16-2020, 08:59 AM   #34
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25Twin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Well, I do not want to begin a truck vs car war but... my Audi does have an incredible payload rating and it certainly is a lovely vehicle to drive either towing or just driving around. The 4 wheel steering is amazing as is the air suspension (my 2500 actually had the optional rear air suspension). What I do miss is all of the space we had in the bed of a truck! What I am finding though, is that we tend to bring less and less along these days. I loved both of my trucks but I am very happy with this Audi!
BB
GM offered 4 wheel steering as an option on their trucks several years ago. I can't remember whether it was simply not desired by the public, or if there were mechanical issues that caused them to discontinue the option.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:52 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:

If you can’t find the spec you want, just special order it from the dealer. That’s what we did on our F250 and got exactly the options we wanted and didn’t pay for any we didn’t. That is if you have 6 weeks or so to wait.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:02 AM   #36
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The whole "what is the turning radius" thing is highly variable. Different model years / different manufacturers work it different ways. One year you bump up and it gets worse. The next year it doesn't. Some years you go up to something even bigger and it gets better. There isn't a lot of logic to it.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:46 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
SeaLevel, have you played around with the RAM configurator online? You can build the truck with the options you want and it will search inventory in your area (you can set the miles radius).

Our dealer would go up to 250 miles to locate a truck for us. I actually found the one I wanted in Oconomowac, WI and gave him the VIN I had a few "musts" like Safety Group and Towing Technology (plus gas) but was open to the other options. We got lucky and even got our 1st choice of color (Delmonico Red).

You can enter a different ZIP code to go beyond your local area too.

Good luck!
Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:54 AM   #38
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
GM offered 4 wheel steering as an option on their trucks several years ago. I can't remember whether it was simply not desired by the public, or if there were mechanical issues that caused them to discontinue the option.
At our Store...it was a reliability PITA.🥴
Plus most customers had forgotten completely about it...'til the 'service 4wheel steering' light came on.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-17-2020, 01:53 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
At our Store...it was a reliability PITA.��
Plus most customers had forgotten completely about it...'til the 'service 4wheel steering' light came on.��

Bob
����
Also a marketing problem. The people that wanted them the most used their truck or Suburban as a work vehicle so most of them would normally get the stripped down vehicles, not ones with almost every option possible as required to get 4-wheel steering, making it a $20,000+ option.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:32 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
SeaLevel, have you played around with the RAM configurator online? You can build the truck with the options you want and it will search inventory in your area (you can set the miles radius).

Our dealer would go up to 250 miles to locate a truck for us. I actually found the one I wanted in Oconomowac, WI and gave him the VIN I had a few "musts" like Safety Group and Towing Technology (plus gas) but was open to the other options. We got lucky and even got our 1st choice of color (Delmonico Red).

You can enter a different ZIP code to go beyond your local area too.

Good luck!
Jeff
Thanks Jeff,

Yes, I have been using the online build tools for RAM, Chevy, GMC and Ford. I wanted to find something within about 150 or so miles, so that I can drive there with my trade (2017 Sierra SLT with max trailering), and drive the new truck home. I'm not keen on having someone else put the first 150 (or more) miles on my new vehicle, and I want to break it in before pulling the trailer with it. So far I can't find a RAM that has the options I am interested in. Maybe it's because the dealers in this area are still clearing out some 2019's before getting a lot of new 2020's.

I already know I don't need a HD truck, since I've towed our AS through the Rockies and Appalachians, and to Alaska and back last summer - 45,000 or so towing miles, with no problem. It was just a consideration, and I was curious if people found the longer trucks more of an issue in regards to maneuverability in tight campgrounds. Even with my current truck, I've had times when people had to move their truck, or I had to be extremely careful around the trees or bushes, so that I could get into my site. I don't have as many nights in the AS as some of the folks here, with just over 400, but I'm no rookie and can usually back into a site on the first try.

Tags