Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Really Perry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Do some math. You won't save money with a diesel with gas as cheap as it is. You could get a used gas hog 3/4 ton and figure out how many miles you can travel on that $40-$50k you will save on a used gasser over a diesel. I paid $7000 for my used V10 Excursion so that leaves me a lot of money to buy gas. Don't know if you can get a pickup that cheap or not. The rednecks have to have trucks here in the south so even a junk one is expensive. Diesels are nice but it is just as easy to gear down. HP is HP.

Perry
Wow Perry. A little biased are you? Did you look at the Consumer Reports write-up on an Excursion? I'll stop there, but really? HP is HP? On a one-for-one equation, sure, but it's what you DO with that HP that makes the difference.
Let's not throw torque to the side of the road. It's definitely a factor.
Sorry..been there, done that with a gasser. Never going back to a screaming engine under the hood going up any REAL incline. Trust me when I say it's DAMN NICE to be able to hit the throttle under a load, and it takes off w/o screaming bloody murder. You can't touch a diesel when it comes to sheer GRUNT. They have what it takes to get the job done.

Like my First Sergeant always told me: "Come correct, or don't come at all." You just can't beat the torque of a diesel, period, end of statement.

To the OP, I had gas 3/4 tons for years, and recently went diesel after getting just over 8mpg pulling my 28' AS thru a 16 day, 16 state trip out W. I was getting just over 15 on a good day w/o a load. With my Duramax, I am now averaging 14.7 towing, and 21.4 w/o. Study the numbers to YOUR situation. If you're REALLY going to be using it to TOW, diesel is your choice. Don't buy a diesel if you're not planning on USING it. Diesel engines need to be worked. They are not a short drive, daily driver vehicle by any means.

I'm not in agreement with the crowd on here that's comfortable pulling an eight thousand pound trailer with a 1/2 ton vehicle. The "ride" of a 3/4 ton feels ok to me!
YMMV
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:11 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
Wausau , Wisconsin
Just went through all this.Ended up with 2500 with Duramax/Allison. Gas is fine the torque is important the more you have the better it will pull (gas milage is another issue)
You have to look at weights of the axels how you will stop etc.
The engines for the most part will pull what you have but we too have other stuff.Including three goldens! The tongue weight goes on to the TV so you can get an engine to pull it and the trailer. However if you look at the GVW and GCVW you can get overloaded in a hurry. Its about being safe and stopping as well as pulling.Axel weights,weight on tires,distribution of weight all need to be consider in MHO
Chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:44 AM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

I certainly don't need duiesel, nor would I want it.

Perry has it right....unless you toe 55k a year it takes way too long to amortize.

But....as always the case.

“If your happy with what you're using......it's adequate.
If others are unhappy with what you're using......it's not.”

-------------------------------------
10yr old 2500 8.1 Burb 10.7 daily, 11.8 w/AS hi-way 55mph

Bob
Old 10-04-2015, 08:47 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
We went the other way. Had a F350 (with the 460) and it would pull anything. As we got older we moved down to the F250 to pull our 23FB. Now we have an Eddie Bauer 27 with one of the highest tongue weights, mine is 950, measured, and empty. So what are we pulling with? A 2014 FX4 with the DSI 6 inch lift, 20 inch wheels, 35 inch tires, 3.55 and 5.0. About everything wrong in a recommended tow vehicle. The door sticker gives us 1500 pounds payload. Wife, Myself, and dog weigh 350. The ARE camper shell is 180. But guess what? With care not to overload we travel within limits for max capacity in every way, Total combined weights, axle max weights, tongue weights, etc. I am 65 years old and the truck, although comfortable, is not exactly my style. So why did I buy it? Was blessed with a 15 year old late in my older years, she trumps every calculation about GVWR, tongue weight, and axle capacity. And according to her, I got max points for style.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0854.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	575.5 KB
ID:	249587  
jdthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:01 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
As mentioned, some new Ford F150's have a payload similar to some F250's, an Ecoboost engine with plenty of torque at low rpm, yet have roughly 2,000 lbs less truck to move and stop. Seems like a great match for most Airstreams, especially if you have other needs for the truck besides pulling your Airstream down the road to a destination.

Ram 1500 has a small diesel option with similar power band but greater fuel economy but lacks the load capacity, don't be surprised if they greatly improve it to keep up with Ford. Nissan's small Cummins is on the way with more diesel power and payload; it's preliminary complaint is about styling. We'll see if that offsets capability; there are some other trucks that won't win a beauty contest either.

The difference between so-called 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks is growing smaller in terms of towing an Airstream to a destination with a reasonable amount of gear, especially of those who may have the truck for other daily use.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:15 AM   #26
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have been down this road twice with an F150. Excellent truck but not quite up to snuff when pulling a 30' Airstream. Finally I bought the bullet and have gone with an F250 diesel. All problems solved.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #27
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I just spent last week boondocking with a fellow full time Airstreamer on his second year. He upgraded from the eco-boost to an F250. Payload issue was getting to him. For him the Ecoboost performed well, but let's be honest, which Doug is not being. To get the best payload means getting a configuration most don't want. My friend had a platinum and just kept hitting that wall. Now he's got a platinum F250 with no issues.

I'm quite fond of my heated/cooled leather seats. And with two small children can't live with anything less than a crew cab.

And I'm a half ton owner who full times, and I see the merits of a 3/4 ton.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Bold has some great points. Really, suggestions on here are based on that individual's needs and budget. In my case, I have many uses for my F250 diesel besides the camper chores. It's a daily driver... pulling a gooseneck trailer, a flat bumper pull, a car trailer now and then...from firewood to lumber and vehicles...plus just riding to work. My truck is an 02 7.3 powerstroke and fits many uses. Last four trucks have been diesel starting with an 86 F250. My fuel mileage is great...towing or not. For now I would rather have an older ..well cared for diesel. Seems most of the discussion is about moving from a 1/2 ton to 3/4 (diesel)...seldom do folks go the other way. That may be a clue. There are some "older" diesels that, if well cared for, would make a great alternative. It's not hard to find owners who can recommend the most reliable,trouble-free models over the last 10 or 15 years. Most of us buy and drive what fits $$ and need. Do what the "gut" says and forget what others want you to do.
Happy camping
Dave
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Boca Raton , Florida
Tundra

We have a 2008 Tundra SR5 TRD, 5.7 4X4 with the factory tow package and Firestone airbags. We previously had a Heartland 24' 5th wheel that we towed over 50K miles over every conceivable terrain... no issues with power or stability. We got 8 to 10 MPG towing the 5er. In April we purchased a Silver Cloud 23 FB and to date have traveled over 10K miles. The major difference is we get between 10 and 12 MPG pulling the Airstream and a lot more "thumbs up" on the road. We miss the slide out rooms but not the leaks and other multiple issues with poor build. We've been RVing since 1979 and this rig is the "keeper"!
bobgoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:52 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I have owned a Ford 250 with the V-10 for 13 years. I have dragged a 32 ft fifth-wheel, an 25 ft AS and now a 30 ft AS and have been satisfied. I have pulled from coast to coast, over the Rockies and Sierras and power has never been a problem to me. Of course, on some of the pulls up the high passes, I get passed by smoke-blowing diesels, but I still make it to the top just a few minutes later. I still get the stopping power of the 3/4 ton and average about 10.5 mpg on cheaper gasoline while towing. This truck spends most of it's time sitting quietly in my garage and has only a little over 100,000 miles on it. I saved thousands of dollars on my original purchase, can find fuel about anywhere and have no problem finding someone to work on it, on the rare times it has been required.

It just depends on what you want, how deep your pockets are, and where your economic priorities are. Some guys on this forum swear you need a one-ton diesel, with all the bells and whistles, plus a $3,000 hitch, to safely tow a go-cart. Just my take on the whole tow-vehicle thing.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I switched in August from a 2010 Tundra to a 2015 Ram CTD. I wanted 4x4 and more payload. I was maxed out on the Tundra's 1465lb payload. I was interested in the 2015 F150 3.5L EB but couldn't find anything that met my needs on the local lots. Majority were the 5.5' short bed, no towing mirrors. I gave up and started looking at 3/4T. Decided against a gas version due to the extra weight of the 3/4T chassis. Not much choice around me for GM with Duramax and ended up with the Ram Big Horn, CC, CTD and 6' 4" bed. I've only towed it on one short weekend trip. I'm a first time diesel owner and decided to go with a new unit. The only things I don't like about it is the height above the ground and buying diesel. The truck is several inches higher than the 1/2T 4x4 and even with the side rails you still climb to get into the cab. The tailgate is higher off the ground too. I'm 5'10" and I carry a folding aluminum step stool to help loading the bed. I added a ARE camper shell. I had to get a new Equalizer shank to lower the ball to match my Airstream. Buying diesel requires a little forethought. You can't just pull up to the pumps and expect a diesel pump handle to be there. On more modern stations they are located on the outside islands and older stations off to the side at a single island. I'm also concerned when I'm traveling and need to fuel and only biodiesel is available. The 2015 Cummins is B20 compatible so it should be OK but you never know.

The Ram rides just as well as the Tundra if not better solo and I like the way the Ram tows the Airstream better than the Tundra so far.

Kelvin
Old 10-04-2015, 01:35 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
My friend has one of the new RAM turbocharged 1500 diesels pulling a 31' A/S and loves it. He says he gets on the interstates even in hilly country, sets the cruise control and it just keeps on going. He has just about talked me into one.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Saint George , Utah
Have a 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 CTD, have towed everything from a 13,000# fifth wheel, 10,000# cargo trailer, and a TT Ultra-ligtht before we bought our AS. We did purchase a Transfer Tank for the truck, holds an extra 40 gal of diesel. No worries about always having to look for fuel. The torque that a diesel delivers makes pulling up hills, easy. I'd purchase another Cummins.
Treker2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:01 PM   #34
CPK
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
oriental , North Carolina
I have a dodge 1500 eco diesel. I am only pulling a Bambi 16' weighs about 3500 and I fill my truck up with about another 700 lbs. of stuff to go camping. My average is 22miles per gallon towing . Great truck. Fuel in my area is usually about 2.43 a gallon. Its still a half ton truck but its got a little more torque then a 5.7 hemi. Its also super charged with an 8 speed tranny. On hills I down shift to 7th gear and don't have a problem. This works for me but a'm not pulling a big load. The mileage is great for a diesel. Not towing at 55 on flat land on cruise control it gets 32 to 36mpg. Best truck I ever owned .
CPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #35
CPK
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
oriental , North Carolina
One other thing I forgot to mention is the uconnect also tells you where to buy diesel and price and distance from where you are.
CPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:32 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW1 View Post
Sounds like I can't go wrong with any 3/4ton, gas or diesel. I might even consider one 3 or 4 years old to save some money.

After towing with my 2010 F150 crew cab 4x4 with tow package 5.4L and having a brake down off the highway with trailer in tow (was the A/C compressor and serpentine belt), and also a cracked camshaft (another time),
I want to try to eliminate these types of troubles.

Not sure if I should look at another Ford or not.
I wouldn't consider a Ford unless you can wait until 2017, assuming they do an update on the F250. We too were partial to Fords when we went shopping last month for our truck. Payload was our priority, but we wanted heated/cooled seats so that put us into a higher trim level.

What we found with F250s is that payload is low (around 2K) and the fuel tank is small (26 gallons). Also the interior hasn't had an update in years. For the payload we wanted, we'd need an F350 -- but all the F350s we saw had the bench seat and no console. Not for for us.

We went to Chevy next and were wowed by the Chevy Silverado 2500HD. Ended up buying a 2015 LTZ model & diesel, no moonroof (for higher payload). GM updated the interior in 2015 and the tech is amazing. Fuel tank is 35 (or 36?) gallons, our payload is just under 2500 pounds. It rides much better than the Ford. Extremely smooth and quiet.

We never got around to looking at the Dodge Ram.
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:40 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
I went through what you're going through now and decided that there is no "perfect" answer. The nicest truck for your "daily driver" is a 1500, but as you point out that is marginal for towing considering payload and tow capacity. If you go to 2500 truck it is not as comfortable for daily driving but it is a better tow vehicle. Then you get into diesel vs gas. I agonized over what to do and finally decided on a 2015 2500 GMC Diesel and I'm glad that I did. It is probably "over kill" for my towing my 28 foot Flying Cloud but I feel safe towing, I get good mileage, the diesel engine hopefully will last longer, have higher resale, and very importantly going down hill I rarely have to touch the breaks. You will hear lots of opinions on this forum; I commend you for doing your due diligence! At some point you will be forced to make a decision based upon your research and your finances. I knew when I made my decision that it wasn't a perfect decision. I wish that I had not had to invest so many $'s in my truck but at the end of the day when I tow my trailer I'm glad that I made the decision to buy the 2500 GMC Diesel. I barely know that the trailer is behind the truck, it is easy to stop, and I have plenty of payload. I hope that this helps, I sympathize with what you are going through. I spent hours reading, visiting sales lots, talking to truck owners etc. You are wise to investigate your options.
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirStmr View Post
I wouldn't consider a Ford unless you can wait until 2017...
I just wanted to clarify my own post. I wouldn't consider a Ford F250 IF you are buying new. If you're buying used and going for a diesel, from what I've read on this forum, I wouldn't buy a Ford older than 2012.

Also note that we will be full-timing and spending a lot of time out west (lots of mountains), and all that went into our purchase decision.
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:15 PM   #39
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirStmr View Post
I just wanted to clarify my own post. I wouldn't consider a Ford F250 IF you are buying new. If you're buying used and going for a diesel, from what I've read on this forum, I wouldn't buy a Ford older than 2012.
A glaring exception to that comment would be if you found a well-kept 7.3L PowerStroke of ANY vintage. I LOVE my original 1995 F250 PowerStroke, and would gladly purchase any of the 7.3's, as long as it was taken care of and not abused.

An older brother of mine has a 6.0L PowerStroke and hasn't had a single problem with it. He doesn't abuse it, I think that's a key. He pulls a GIANT toy-hauler with it.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #40
On adventure with H&G

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1958 26' Overlander
1966 28' Ambassador
Lansing , Kansas
This is a topic that always elicits a lot of responses. I think if you are looking at a late model truck, you really cannot go too far wrong. It is going to be a matter of personal preference after you look at a few things that aren't that exciting, but necessary:

1) Drive all the major manufacturers-GM, Ford, Ram, Toyota-in different trim packages, get an idea of what you prefer. For example, one of the main reasons that I like GM is the layout of the interior, and it seems to fit me a little better because I am shorter, and like to sit up and see well. I drive a Ford for work, and while a great truck, I don't care for that multi-level window sill, and the steering wheel always seems far away.

2) Check the records, and get a pre-purchase inspection. A well maintained vehicle will save more money regardless of type or brand. And good power management when driving will save more fuel than anything else.

3) Take a real look at the weights you are moving and the equipment of the truck. I bet that 29' '91 has a heavy tongue weight, and it sounds like you put plenty in the back as well. Make sure the specs of any truck have the capacity for what you are moving. A 3/4 is built for heavier weight, but late model 1/2 tons are stronger and stronger. Ford and GM also made some interim models that bridged the gap such as the 1500HD and a 7-lug F-250. Does it have the cooling capacity on the engine and transmission for hills, desert, heavy weight, etc.? Does it have the capacity with the crew cab, or regular cab that you are looking for?

Cheers!

Matt
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote