Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2007, 05:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
Saint Petersburg, , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Tom Randall
Mirrors for Excursion?

Hi, just my 32' Excella. I am going to pick it up and wondered... Do any Excursion owners extra mirrors? Yes... which ones?
Tom & his travelin' Pal - Rusty Dog the Doxie

WBCCI # 1946AIR # 18277
Tom Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Excursion mirrors

Tom,

You can get two different types of mirrors for the Excursion. One what I would call "standard" mirrors the other "tow mirrors" The tow mirrors allow you to pull/push them in and out to allow you to see around what you're towing. That's the type I have on my 2002/diesel/4x4. Depending on the year of the Excursion, you can get them heated, side lights, and of course power is standard. If you choose to upgrade to this mirror, you can find them all day long on eBay. Or just go to your local dealer and pay a bunch of money. If you know how to use a screw driver you can swap them yourself.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:20 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Tom - Rideair is right on the money with the mirror info. The stock mirrors are fairly small, the towing mirrors are supported with two arms that allow the mirror to slide out about 4" or so for towing.

FWIW, I just ordered a replacement for the driver's side of my 2000 - I caught a piece of road debris and it busted the plastic piece that covers the base of the mirror - Ford only sells the complete replacement mirror for $250 each. I found a new one on EBay for $100 with shipping.
HP9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:30 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Hello Tom and Rusty,
I know this next statement will not be popular with others, HOWEVER, it IS my opinion.
For the money, and dependent on YOUR desires, I have found the McKesh mirrors to do a wonderful job. Strap on style,they are there only when I need them. The heads are not gigantic, hanging on my truck at times that I'm not towing. They DO NOT VIBRATE, as some say. I suspect that is a function of installation......I have owned several sets, giving them and/or selling them to others as they come to pick up trailers I have sold, arriving with no mirrors.
I always purchase the convex option with the Mckesh when I order them. No, I do not own any or part of the company, although they probably should compensate me for it! MIRRORS ARE EXTREMELY important to you and those around you. Please do not tow without them!
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:15 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
My '05 Ex came with the standard mirrors: power, heated, and turn arrow. They were pretty, but not very functional when towing my AS. I had the dealer swap them out for the towing mirrors. These do the job.

Oh, I still have the standard mirrors. If anyone's interested they can PM me.

________________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
I had the tow mirrors installed as part of my negotiation in buying my Excursion. They are terrific - would do the same thing again. However, you need to get adjusted to them, particularly on the passenger side, because the convex mirror is much smaller than would be the case for the standard mirrors. Foir towing, though, they are terrific.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
OEM all the way

I had those in/out tow mirrors on my Excursion and loved them. They really were a better idea

Get the OEM Ford mirrors and be happy. They put the same mirrors on super duty pickups. You could probably get a set from a junkyard cheap. I doubt they've changed much, if at all. My '01 Excursion's were heated and power adjust.

They really are the nicest OEM mirrors I've ever used. I highly recommend them.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:04 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
Saint Petersburg, , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Tom Randall
Thanks all! I just grabbed a cheap pair for my drive home today. The ones I got have the rubber straps that go around the mirror. $38 bucks for the set and I made it home. NOW, I will get serious and go with the OEM...As always, when you need the RIGHT answer.... you find it here!! Thanks again.
Tom & his travelin' Pal - Rusty Dog the Doxie

WBCCI # 1946AIR # 18277
Tom Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Do the extendable OEM mirrors stick out further than the fixed ones when all the way in? I ask because my garage is very tight getting the EXC in, and I almost have to fold one to slide thru the door.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I have a standard size garage opening, whatever that is, and essentially "thread the needle" when pulling da beast into its cave; about an inch to spare on either side of the mirror. I replaced the driver's side mirror after an oncoming pickup took my mirror out with his. He crossed the double yellow head on. I consider myself lucky. Bought new one from dealer for $150. The one's I saw on ebay were not electric/no defrost. There are a few hidden screws holding the door panel on. Make sure you find them all. Also use care when routing the wire. A few weeks later, when putting the window up, the wire wrapped itself along the top edge of the window and pulled up as the window was raised.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Outside edge 2 Outside edge

With the mirrors "pushed in" it is 102" or 8'6" from outside edge to outside edge.