Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2006, 11:21 AM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Mileage with powerstroke?

Im wanting to get a beefier TV (F150 at present) and find the powerstokes appealing. Can anybody give me an idea of what sort of milage can be expected from a 8 cyl 7.3 L Turbo Diesel Engine, with 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio. I tow a Trade Wind, call it 7,000lbs loaded. I dont get in a hurry driving if Im towing or not. Thanks!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Im wanting to get a beefier TV (F150 at present) and find the powerstokes appealing. Can anybody give me an idea of what sort of milage can be expected from a 8 cyl 7.3 L Turbo Diesel Engine, with 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio. I tow a Trade Wind, call it 7,000lbs loaded.
i cant tell you, but ill give you an idea from my circumstance..my 01 1 ton 12 pass. van has a 3.55 rear end. i get around 21 mpg solo, and 12-14 pulling my coach 65-60 mph. for some reason unbeknownst to me, the 7.3 was only available in the 1 ton van. it is available in the f-250. it only has 53000 miles so its not broken in yet....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Rodney,
With our 97 powerstroke crewcab 4WD shortbed 4spd. auto,4:10 gearing, we average empty: City 15-16mpg, Highway 17-20, and towing our 28' Abassador 14 mpg. Our powerstroke has some modifications for additional torque, but mpg figures have remained the same.Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:25 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Im wanting to get a beefier TV (F150 at present) and find the powerstokes appealing. Can anybody give me an idea of what sort of milage can be expected from a 8 cyl 7.3 L Turbo Diesel Engine, with 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio. I tow a Trade Wind, call it 7,000lbs loaded. I dont get in a hurry driving if Im towing or not. Thanks!
I've owned 3 Powerstroke powered Ford Super Duty trucks, 2 6-speed manual 7.3s and a 5-speed auto 6.0.

I average 15-16 MPG commuting with my current 6.0 and about 18.5 on the highway. Towing my 30' Excella (nearly 8,000 lbs loaded) I get 12-13. Both of my 7.3s got about the same mileage loaded (hauling a 4,000 lb slide-in camper), about the same commuting, and a best of 17.5 on the highway.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Dunlap , Illinois
7.3 Fuel Mileage

My 01 F350 crew cab 4X4 with 3.73 rear pulling my 25', which I had just weighed at 7240 lbs., one passenger, on the flat at 55mph, summer fuel, got 16.4 mpg. This was very carefully filled with fuel and calculated by hand. City driving and hard mountain pulls got 13.8 mpg. Without a trailer and no passengers driving 70 mph with the speed control and air conditioning on over 750 miles of interstate to the southeast, got 24.75 mpg. I carry 55 psi. in the front tires and 75 in the rears. I also pull a gooseneck horse trailer, but have no mileage with that alone so I could not calculate it. My overhead trip computer says my over all mileage is 14.9 mpg.

My engine is stock, as are my intake and exhaust systems. I pull in overdrive when on the flat and keep it in direct for the hills. I haven't hit mountain climbs yet that it wouldn't pull in high gear. I would say I have an educated accelerator foot.

I am sure winter mileage would be less, because it has lower BTU. I am quite pleased with its performance. It has 70,000 miles on it.

Saddletramp
Saddletramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:10 PM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Rodney,

I have a Duramax/Allison, but maybe the data is comparable: I took the rig to CO and back this fall, and averaged 13 for the whole trip. I get about 18 in normal driving. I loved the power available when we made the long ascents over the passes out there. Powerstroke or Duramax - you're going to love your rig.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:43 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Heywood
I've owned 3 Powerstroke powered Ford Super Duty trucks, 2 6-speed manual 7.3s and a 5-speed auto 6.0.

I average 15-16 MPG commuting with my current 6.0 and about 18.5 on the highway. Towing my 30' Excella (nearly 8,000 lbs loaded) I get 12-13. Both of my 7.3s got about the same mileage loaded (hauling a 4,000 lb slide-in camper), about the same commuting, and a best of 17.5 on the highway.
Steve, I have a 2005 F-250 Super Crew with the 5-speed automatic 6.0 L with 3.73 rear end similar to yours. I get 16 MPG's if I don't leave the county and all driving is in town. When I commute 8 miles to interstate and 17 miles interstate on to work I average a tad better than 20 MPG's. I just got a recall saying that the computer was incorrectly set at the factory and I need to take it to a dealer and have it properly programmed and that I will experience slightly less acceleration during the first few minutes during cold weather until the engine warms up.

I am concerned that changing the programing might alter my mileage in a negative way. A buddy of mine with an '03 F-250 has recommended that I get a programmer and change the programming anyway so it might be accedemic re: Ford's re-programming but that is a ways off before I get one. This is my first diesel and I don't know what to expect but the mileage is about 2-3 MPG's better than my F-150 extended cab gets. I haven't towed with it so I don't have any figures there but I would guess it will get about 12-14. Any suggestions or further explanations re: the recall to have it re-programmed would be welcomed.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:50 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate

I am concerned that changing the programing might alter my mileage in a negative way. A buddy of mine with an '03 F-250 has recommended that I get a programmer and change the programming anyway so it might be accedemic re: Ford's re-programming. This is my first diesel and I don't know what to expect but the mileage is about 2-3 MPG's better than my F-150 extended cab gets. I haven't towed with it so I don't have any figures there but I would guess it will get about 12-14. Any suggestions or further explanations re: the recall to have it re-programmed would be welcomed.
With a 7.3L I wouldn't worry too much about programming changes, but on the 6.0L (certain model years) I would be very concerned with modding any of the programming because the 6.0L (I believe that was the engine) was plagued with so many issues, Ford was just looking for reasons to walk away from the problems.

Older Duramax engines should also be no problem, but I don't know about the new (LBZ) Duramax engine.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:20 PM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
With a 7.3L I wouldn't worry too much about programming changes, but on the 6.0L (certain model years) I would be very concerned with modding any of the programming because the 6.0L (I believe that was the engine) was plagued with so many issues, Ford was just looking for reasons to walk away from the problems.

Older Duramax engines should also be no problem, but I don't know about the new (LBZ) Duramax engine.
I have been very hesitant to take my friend's advise. His truck has the 7.3L. I think it was the last year the 7.3L was available. I know the first year of the 6.0L there were problems but supposedly Ford had worked those out before the '05's. I don't have too many miles on mine and am happy with the mileage and performance so far so I haven't been in any hurry to make any changes. In fact I had no plans to buy a programmer before the factory warranty was up at the earliest and maybe not even then. I want to see how it tows first. The only reason I have even considered a programmer at this point is that so many folks I know that have them sware by them and Trailer Life did an article on them last spring and seemed to endorse them. But again, I want to see how it performs towing during the warranty and then make a decision. However, on the other hand, Ford dealers sell programmers through their parts departments.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:10 PM   #10
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I own both. I have a 7.3 one ton five speed manual dually with a 4:11 rear end and a 6.0 three quarter ton five speed auto with the 3:73 rear end. Previously, I owned three other 7.3 trucks all with the manual transmission. My experience has been that the above figures are all pretty accurate. It all depends upon how hard you drive them, how fast, how much they are left to idle, whether you are out on the open road or in stop and go traffic and what kind of load you are pulling. What I do know is that the various versions of the 7.3 for me were all very consistent in their mileage. I consistently got 15 to 16 miles/gallon out on the open road pulling a 16 foot x 7 foot gooseneck horse trailer with 4-5 horses in it back and forth to Colorado from Texas. Around town, and out in the pasture they spent a lot of time idling and I often averaged only 10-11 miles a gallon. With the 7.3 engines I didn't see a lot of difference whether I was pulling a trailer or not out on the open road. Mileage didn't seem to vary more than a couple of miles/gallon. None of the 7.3 engines ever had a programmer installed and I haven't installed any aftermarket programmer on the 6.0.

With the 6.0, I seem to have a great deal more power, but mileage has been all over the place. I've gotten as high as 24 miles to the gallon driving out on the highway empty and keeping my speed down to 55 miles/gallon. I've gotten as low as 9.9 miles/gallon pulling our 31' Airstream and running 70 out on the open road. My records indicate that I averaged 15.42 on a recent trip to Colorado running empty and 11.96 miles/gallon with the Airstream making the same trip in the 6.0 truck. Those figures would probably improve if I made the same trip today because I now have over 6,000 miles on the truck and its computer was reprogramed by Ford. Since reprogramming, the truck seems to get better mileage.

I am going to offer you some advice. None of these trucks NEED an aftermarket programmer to have acceptable performance and fuel mileage. I would avoid installing a programmer like the plague. These engines will give you service well into the 250,000 to 350,000 mile range with little trouble if you treat them right, service them on schedule and keep the aftermarket gadgets out of the engine compartment. Install a programmer and you won't have to wait long to before you'll need to join the DieselStop.com forum where you can seek advice from the many who have programmed their engines into oblivion. As to Ford offering aftermarket programmers, you better check on that information with your dealer because many dealers in my neck of the woods will void warranties if they find such equipment installed.

If you'll follow your plan of towing and driving your truck in its stock condition, you will find you don't need the aftermarket programmer to have a truck that is enjoyable to drive and one that is a very capable vehicle. I have fourteen different trailers here on the ranch. My 7.3 is the truck I use to pull them. I pull a large tractor around one day, a load of cattle or horses the next, and perhaps a load of hay or my Airstream the next. My 7.3 has always performed here in Texas as well as in the mountains of Colorado most admirably. As stated above, in most instances it will pull any pass in Colorado in 4th gear as fast as you are willing to drive it. It pulls the Levita and Raton passes at 70 miles an hour since neither has sharp curves to slow you down. As long as you can keep the RPMs above 2000 to 2200, the turbocharger kicks in and will take you easily up the grade. The Levita Pass is around 11,000 while Raton is between 9 and 10,000 feet. That kind of altitude with that kind of performance is enough for me.

One final word about the 7.3 vs. the 6.0. If you are buying the truck for driving out on the open road and it won't be idling that much, the 6.0 definitely has more power, but if the truck is to be in situations like I use mine here around the ranch where it idles while I am feeding and while I am opening pasture gates, or in your situation where there will be a lot of city driving then I would recomend you stay with your plan of purchasing a 7.3. The 7.3 is a proven design. It doesn't have to meet emissions requirements. It doesn't have an EGR valve to clog and cause problems and its computer system is just not as complicated. The 7.3 is a very dependable, proven engine. The jury is still out on the 6.0.

GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:28 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The Tim Allen in all of us would love to add more HP, torque and rubber melting performance to our cars. Having gone that route on one of my Impala SSs, sure is fun, costs a bit to do, but if the truck does what you need it to do and you're happy with it, blow your friends off. If you in fact want more power cause for some reason you need it and want that diesel to get better 0 to 60s and better performance when towing, that would be the main reason I'd do it. Better fuel economy should not be a reason to upgrade. More power costs....period. You didn't get a Greenpeace card when you bought your truck, but did come with an honorary OPEC membership. You get an additional free year of OPEC membership for every MPG you deacrease by adding power additions to the truck.

The 6.0 has had many fixes leading to the latest version rolling off the line these past few months. I would still be gunshy on a 6.0L given all the issues.

This time around though with the new Suburban, I left it stock cause it does what I need it to do very well.....and I can use some of that money I would have spent modding the Burb on some important things, like pinball machines!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie

I have had an '05 Chevy LLY Duramax/Allison and I now have an '06 Chevy LBZ Duramax with the six speed Allison. The '05 was a really good truck and the "06 is a GREAT truck!

Got the new truck in early October, left for a round trip to Orlando with our Airstream in tow three days later. We averaged 13.6 mpg for the 2400 mile trip at an average speed of 65 mph. I have averaged 21 mpg @ 65 mph on two seperate 200+ mile non-towing round trips. The LBZ makes more power, it is quieter, and it gets better fuel economy than my '05. It has to be driven to be believed.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Running gross vehicle weight 9000 + pounds my extended E350 7.3 with 3.55 differential gets 17 to 18. Towing 8000 pounds plus gets 12.7 on good days. Now going down hill everywhere all the time I have never have filled it up after one of those trips, so I figure diesel mileage is real good. Now going the other way, well you just don’t want to know. But I love my 7.3 diesel.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens

I am going to offer you some advice. None of these trucks NEED an aftermarket programmer to have acceptable performance and fuel mileage. I would avoid installing a programmer like the plague. These engines will give you service well into the 250,000 to 350,000 mile range with little trouble if you treat them right, service them on schedule and keep the aftermarket gadgets out of the engine compartment. Install a programmer and you won't have to wait long to before you'll need to join the DieselStop.com forum....

If you'll follow your plan of towing and driving your truck in its stock condition, you will find you don't need the aftermarket programmer to have a truck that is enjoyable to drive and one that is a very capable vehicle.

The 7.3 is a proven design. It doesn't have to meet emissions requirements. It doesn't have an EGR valve to clog and cause problems and its computer system is just not as complicated. The 7.3 is a very dependable, proven engine.
my sediments exactly......
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Silvertwink hits the mark!

Eric says a lot of good things about the 6.0L Powerstroke. If you have any questions spend a couple hours browsing DieselStop forums. Click on the 6.0L Powerstroke Engine & Drivetrain section; only after that will you find the search entry area at the bottom of the webpage. In the search area enter only 6.4 or 6.4L to see what the future will bring in just 12-18 months. Issues with the 6.0 are quieting down but linger; with the coming 6.4 there will be a certain orphan factor to the 6.0L -- but owners of 2005s & 2006s should fare better if they ride out a full service life.

Looking in either the 6.0L or gasser sections I am surprised at the number of complaints about the TorqShift 5-Spd Auto tranny w Overdrive -- searching for gears, etc. What's up here?! I was hoping to not have to tow with less than overdrive! Also search on 4.10 and 4.30 to see what people are saying about rear end ratios for towing.

Yes, I'm researching a TV -- and inclining toward the V-10 Triton. I just can't see avoiding the short in-town hops that seem so necessary (BTW -- it sez don't everidle the 6.0L Powerstrokes for long times like you do with traditional diesels). I'd enjoy the manual tranny but my dearest traveling partner has two right feet only... Hmm... (Here's where the Magliozzi brothers pick up the excitement -- an opportunity to do marital counseling!)

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:48 PM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
So.......

If I understand correctly, it is reasonable to expect around 20 mpg on the highway under normal conditions and around 14 mpg towing. Does that sound right?

By the way, thanks for all your replies, they have been quite helpful

Old 01-24-2006, 06:54 PM   #17
_

. , .
hi guys.......

yea come on, who else is gonna be looking at a thread on trucks?

disarry the figures here look right.....

10-13 towing; 16-20 not, at highway speeds.

i have an 05 psd and have logged 20k miles since march with zero problems.

while the early 6.0s were buggy, 05/06 should be fine.

advantages for the newer model.....quieter, better brakes, better front suspension, smaller turning radius, tow command/brake controller, better tranny and so on....negs.......none for 05/06 except price and the cp sensor.

advantages for the 7.3......proven reliability, lots of shops (international, ford, indies) work on em. negs.... tie rods, balljoints, cp sensor, poor brakes, more smog and no one knows how well they will do on ultra low sulfur fuels coming soon, louder.

really depends on money factor......older will be less, so what can you afford. when my warrarnty is near end, i'll likely opt for aftermarket for the ford, since i plan to keep it 6-8 years. also i''m gonna tow 15-20k miles per year so don't want to rebuild tranny or motor on a 7.3.

6.3 liter? sure there is always something new comin'.....my next t.v. will be a diesel/electric hybird....

i'm trying to keep gm out of hock,
so i avoid buying any of their products.......

m' mate........i got the recall note also and am having the reprograming done tomorrow, along with the coolant level relabeled. i may have an exhaust leak too so they are checkin' that.

the guy who answers ?s on the yahoo psd group is amazing......and his web site has great info on the psd, along with the tsb/recalls way before we get 'em and with a better explanations of issues that all of those whiner ford forums.......

http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/60psd.htm

that's the place to read about a ford psd disarray, if you are considering one....he's got great info on each engine and not a lota bull........

m' mate, since cold diesel driving should be gentle anyway, i'm not worried about the issue you mentioned. mpg should actually improve with the reflash. if you want to know how it works out after it's done tomorrow......drop me a note...

i may opt for a banks full till system in another year for the psd......

this is my first american made motor vehicle in 35 years and i very much like it......you will too.

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ford.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	17904  
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Ditto that 2air!

Actually at 65, I got 13.6 towing and 21 not towing. I've got just over 13K now and the mileage has improved with more miles.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:13 PM   #19
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Actually at 65, I got 13.6 towing and 21 not towing. I've got just over 13K now and the mileage has improved with more miles.

Dennis
well cosmo' as i recall, don't you have

the more aerodynamic 2wd model.....?

and the red? ones get better mileage!

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:18 PM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman

disarry the figures here look right.....10-13 towing; 16-20 not, at highway speeds.
This reads ambigiously to me. Do you mean not to expect 16-20 on the highway (not towing)? Can you clear this up for me.