Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Mercedes ML350 fitting Prodigy P2 Break Control.

Hello,
I have just purchased a ML350 Bluetec. My Tahoe just does not have the grunt for pulling our 25 footer. I am going to leave the harness in the Tahoe but swap out the Prodigy control.
I do not get the vehicle until next week. For those of you out there with this system, my harness in the Tahoe is plugged into a box above the drivers side foot well. I also had to add a fuse into the main box as well under the hood. Took me about twenty minutes to do the installation myself.
Is this the same way I will do it with the ML. I can not find a ready to plug in harness, anywhere on the internet.
So help please.
Cheers,
James.
jmpgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Here is a doc I found on the Mercedes forum. Hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 164_Brake_Controller.pdf (146.7 KB, 212 views)
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Boy, that's a scarey bit of lawyer inspiration. Get in touch with the editor/publisher of Airstream Life. He has an MB similar ro yours to pull his 30' Bunkhouse.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
You'll also need to purchase the 'Green' adapter harness (Part # A0395453528). You don't have to do it this way, but if you do, then the SAM system actually helps tow better. The other method is to wire directly to the brake lights and try and figure out the LED resistance issues, etc. BTW - If you have a 2012 or newer ML350, then the SAM module is already preset for towing, it resets if you plug your 7-pin in WITHOUT the car on, once you turn on the car, the system works perfectly. Finally, if you elect to go to the dealer, the install will be flawless BUT the cost is about $1,200.00!

IMPORTANT: Be very careful where you place your controller; the usual location under/around the steering wheel is a no-no as there are supplemental airbags down there. I fashioned a mounting bracket that fits into the ashtray in the middle column - elegant and functional.
Held together with the Husky Centerline Hitch
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:47 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Hello Long Shot,
I just got back from the dealer having ordered the parts. I took a quick look inside one and soon saw the mounting problem around the leg area.
Thank you for that bit of advice.
What does the ashtray bit look like, could you send an image of the bracket you made up please.
I can weld up anything and aluminium would be my thoughts or a wooden device again there I have a full pro wood work shop. I am not keen on drilling into any part of this vehicle.
Cheers,
James.
jmpgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Victoria Harbour , Ontario
I know this is not an answer to the question you posed, but it is about the lack of space to mount a controller in the Mercedes. I opted for the Prodigy RF controller rather than installing a controller in the drivers knee well. I used it with our last trailer with good success, and will now transfer it to the AS. There is a control box that must be mounted on the front of the TT.

Neil
nevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevans View Post
I know this is not an answer to the question you posed, but it is about the lack of space to mount a controller in the Mercedes. I opted for the Prodigy RF controller rather than installing a controller in the drivers knee well. I used it with our last trailer with good success, and will now transfer it to the AS. There is a control box that must be mounted on the front of the TT.

Neil
I opted for the same thing after realizing that MBZ does not support the ML350 Bluetec as a tow vehicle, even though it is a fantastic one. You'll really enjoy it with your 25 foot. Given the short wheel base of your ML and the length of your TT, consider a ProPride. We had one and it was fantastic. Our 25 foot is for sale now that we purchased a Bowlus.
Tintini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #8

2009 16' DWR
Lake Arrowhead , California
Ml350

Hello, I have a 2013 ML350 BlueTec and it is a wonderful tow car. It came from Mercedes with the tow package. I had a tough time setting up my electric brake system since no one makes a harness for the ML. I see that someone gave you the parts list for the green plug from MB. I ordered those parts and they worked great. The only thing I wanted to share with you is that you will not get a brake light voltage at the brake light pin under the dash unless you have the trailer connected to your ML. Also I mounted my controller at the bottom of the dash, just to the right of the MB system socket...at the very bottom and is clear of the knee air bag. As I drive the car I can see and reach the brake controller with my left hand.
I tow a 2009 16' DWR and fly up the hills with ease. I hope this helps in some way...

My best, Mike
AS Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
U.S. Navy, Retired

1997 30' Excella
Cumming , Georgia
I did my ML320CDI with the green plug and pins described above. I chose to completely avoid the lower dash since I wasn't sure where the airbags would inflate. I put the Prodigy on the left corner of the dash with Velcro and routed the wires through some flexi wire wrap. I also have my trailer's backup monitor and my TPMS up there. It's a little cluttered, but I use this car for towing and it has become my "truck". The space by the ashtray is used for the CB so we can keep in touch while on caravan. You will LOVE this combo, but get ready to explain it everywhere you go.

Name:   IMG_2293.JPG
Views: 662
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:   IMG_2294.JPG
Views: 695
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:   IMG_2295.JPG
Views: 724
Size:  52.2 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	MB320+AS30.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	240053

Bill
2018 F250 King Ranch 6.7L Powerstroke
Silverleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
Brake Controller Mounting for MB 350

Below are pics of the mounting system I devised.
First, simply pull out your ashtray and save for the future; then find a good piece of wood that will fit snugly; make very small trim cuts because you want this to barely fit into to the area the ashtray was; once everything is just right, you should screw in the mount as the final push into the space will make it very difficult to remove. Once complete, the controller should clear the drink holders and still give you easy access to the brake over-ride lever underneath.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	In-Dash.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	240058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulled-Out.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	240059  

Name:	OnStand.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	240060  
Held together with the Husky Centerline Hitch
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
our dealer mounted

our break controller in the little space above the ash tray (no longer a smoker anyway) much like the post below shows. He used the mounting swivel shown on the wood block and it fits comfortably in the middle, easy to see and adjust if needed. This is the third ML I have had, (others leased, this bought) and the others all had the controller mounted near the door and I often hit my knee getting in and out. I like the idea of putting it on the dash with velcro, it should stay put and be easy to access. You will love the car for all sorts of reasons, towing among them.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpgino View Post
Hello,
I have just purchased a ML350 Bluetec. My Tahoe just does not have the grunt for pulling our 25 footer. I am going to leave the harness in the Tahoe but swap out the Prodigy control.
I do not get the vehicle until next week. For those of you out there with this system, my harness in the Tahoe is plugged into a box above the drivers side foot well. I also had to add a fuse into the main box as well under the hood. Took me about twenty minutes to do the installation myself.
Is this the same way I will do it with the ML. I can not find a ready to plug in harness, anywhere on the internet.
So help please.
Cheers,
James.
I just purchased 2012 Mercedes GL 350. What a nightmare the brake controller was! Went to 3 rv dealers and the Mercedes dealership. None would touch it! Then finally found a shop that would do it...after contacting Mercedes to figure out the parts I needed to order. After another week and $550 the parts come in.. Take it back to the shop to have it done, then after an hour they call me and say they won't do it!. Did my homework on this forum...ordered the prodigy RF brake controller...installed it myself in 20 min! I already had the adapter($25) and surprisingly it worked and paired up on the Mercedes! The dealership did take the parts back!
RickInNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:51 PM   #13
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Long time back I had an ML350. Needed to buy the green adapter plug so I could install a Prodigy for my towing my hot air balloon trailer. That little green bit of molex plastic was something like $100 or so. Fell out of my chair. Ouch. Still hurts to think about it.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:01 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Victoria Harbour , Ontario
Prodigy RF brake controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickInNash View Post
I just purchased 2012 Mercedes GL 350. What a nightmare the brake controller was! Went to 3 rv dealers and the Mercedes dealership. None would touch it! Then finally found a shop that would do it...after contacting Mercedes to figure out the parts I needed to order. After another week and $550 the parts come in.. Take it back to the shop to have it done, then after an hour they call me and say they won't do it!. Did my homework on this forum...ordered the prodigy RF brake controller...installed it myself in 20 min! I already had the adapter($25) and surprisingly it worked and paired up on the Mercedes! The dealership did take the parts back!

The Prodigy would not pair with my 2011 GL, so I plugged the remote and trailer-mounted units into my wife's van and paired the brake controller, then plugged into the GL and all is fine - .c on remote.

Neil
nevans is offline   Reply With Quote