Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2006, 07:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
AlbertF ,I see that your trying to make a point here that the car had some troubles and thats really what caused the crash .Im sorry ,but,the accident was totally due to the undersized underpowered little car and the idiot driver trying to pull this trailer up a hill no less!! Im at a loss as to why we are debating such an obviouse situation.I can pull my 24ft airstream up any hill and down ,with relative ease ,the temp gauge is normal ,oil pressure is great so on and so forth .Im feeling confident that in most situations Im prepared as much as I can be ,have an adequate TV and can saftely handle my trailer .In the case we are dicussing here ,nothing is right
about this video and crash .what if that Renault and caravan crashed into the bicyclists instead of the other side of the road ? The engine blew up because it clearly was overloaded and under powered by any stretch of the imagination ,the clutch and brakes all way to small ,it doesn't matter if the car was brand new it still would not be safe .so to argue on about how it
was not well cared of or whatever is futile and doesn't matter in the least.
Safety is the whole point here and this was not safe ,that should be the focus of this conversation .The driver Im sure had both feet on the brakes
as it rolled back down the hill ,still wouldn't matter and still doesn't. I believe
people mis interperet just how much 5000# its 2 1/2 tons of weight . So imagine that 3000#s of weight were trying pull you back down a hill ,and your
2000# car with the tiny brakes were trying to stop it ,You then have more
weight pulling you back by a 1000#s and that little car cannot stop that
from happening .Im not going with the brakes were bad ,Im staying with
the fact that it doesn't matter, it was an accident waiting to happen and it did just that .The bigger picture is what matters and you know why this happened and your right ,the driver made the wrong choice to even attempt
it ,risking peoples lives ,I blame the driver for doing just that.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck

But the Charger makes a whole lot more sense to me; its got a hugely powerful engine...the same they put in their trucks.

what I don't get: to what does one attach a receiver, on a unibody automobile? there ain't nuthin' under there but sheet metal.

Apparently Rich Luhr, editor and publisher of Airstream Life mag had the oppourtunity to test drive, and write about the Hemi sedan towing the big one. By the smile on his face I think he liked it!

http://www.airstreamlife.com/vintage...1_archive.html