Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2020, 09:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Making the GRADE: Anywhere USA/Canada

We travel within the Rocky Mountain States. The Steep Grades on State and Federal Highways can be an experience. Some can be avoided by taking a slightly different route.

You can describe those that 'got your attention' and if you like, tow vehicle, trailer and how you were able to mitigate the steep grades.

I will start with One discovered last year.

Arizona: Highway 89- Prescott

Prescott, Arizona. An attractive town, very busy tourist traffic due to the higher elevation for those in the desert country.

Coming from the North, heading south through Prescott on State Highway 89, you will be going through the town center. Lots of traffic, but everyone is traveling slow and traffic lights control traffic flow well.

As you proceed SOUTH something changes. You will be looking south and see where you will be, AFTER the descent into the valley below. The view from the TOP goes for many miles to the horizon. Eventually... you will EARN your way Down.

The road is dug into the side of the Bradshaw Mountains, I suppose and switch backs to keep your attention. If you have not driven switch backs, your trailer tracks not the same as it does when goring straight... watch where your trailer is merging into the opposite traffic side of the yellow line.

Maybe 8 miles. As you get to the 'flat lands' there is a large parking area on the RIGHT (North). The North Side of the highway as you enter what I believe is Glean Oaks.

We did pass a car that had slid into a ravine and people were gathering... and we slowly passed as this was going to block traffic for many hours. The occupants were wondering... how they ended up in the ditch. Hmmm. Too fast?

Payson, Arizona has been mentioned and it is mild compared to Prescott. We have camped in the National Forest overlooking Payson. A 23 foot is advised as the longest to fit. It has been a number of years. This is ON the Mogollon Rim to the north of Payson in the forests.

Payson some times has Water Restrictions and can be a problem filling your fresh water. There were signs posted when we found this water issue.

Please POST YOUR experiences. If there is an interest, I will take time and put some other places to AVOID, or how to get around them with less stress.

Yes... Hijack this Thread with anything you like. Why not?
Old 04-06-2020, 09:32 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Jerome, Arizona

Well, last year we left Los Alamos, visiting one son / DIL, headed West to visit another son. My husband, the navigator, directed me to Jerome, Arizona for an "interesting route". Halfway through town, the single lane, blind section, I met with a service truck heading East. He wouldn't budge, not that it was a big deal, so I backed the F-350 and 25 ft. AS downhill, around the blind corners. I was SO lucky (early on a Sunday morning) that no one had come up behind me. The truck driver was all smiles, gave me a thumbs up as he passed on a wider section. Dave told me, afterward, that this section of road was not recommended for travel trailers. I thought it was great fun, interesting views, beautiful country.

Susan
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote