Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2017, 01:06 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thank You Everyone For Your Help

Thanks to everyone who helped.

At this point I think I've decided to just go with a larger truck. I am confident that the Ram with proper setup would work. However, my wife has been doing some thinking as well and we are just going to go with a larger truck with more payload and capability. She doesn't want to worry about adding too much cargo while traveling.

Again, thanks for everyone's help, especially those who have experience towing with 1500 Rams and offered advice.

Billy
Drennanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
We want pictures!

Don't forget to share some pictures of your trailer once you get it! And your truck too if you want.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Got word that Trailer is rolling off the line next week, so hopefully in the next few weeks it'll be at dealer.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drennanb View Post
Thanks to everyone who helped.

At this point I think I've decided to just go with a larger truck. I am confident that the Ram with proper setup would work. However, my wife has been doing some thinking as well and we are just going to go with a larger truck with more payload and capability. She doesn't want to worry about adding too much cargo while traveling.

Again, thanks for everyone's help, especially those who have experience towing with 1500 Rams and offered advice.

Billy
No problem, your truck is a good one and someone will enjoy it. We enjoy sharing our towing experience with a fellow Airstreamer, and the chance to help other Airstreamers understand how little significance (if any) payload/GVRW has in a well-balanced and set up towing combination.

Nothing in the need for towing and hitching expertise changes with a larger truck, only the perception changes. Keep learning.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I share your angst. I have a 2005 F250 Lariat Supercab with upgraded springs and a full size bed. It has 50K on it I am the original owner. It is in super shape. I have a 2017 28' Serenity and am wondering if I should be concerned about my TV. I hate to think that it might leave me in the middle of nowhere waiting for a tow truck. I don't want buy a new TV but can if it's risky to hit the road with mine. Advice?
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:18 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
I hate to think that it might leave me in the middle of nowhere waiting for a tow truck.
That could also happen with a brand new truck. 50k miles isn't a lot if it's in good shape and well maintained. Why not try it for a while and see how it goes?
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
If you have an F250 you can tow any Airstream ever made safely and efficiently. Not only that, you will have some extra payload to bring along toys.

The wife and I have towed our four ton 31' Sovereign over 70000 miles with a 2004 Nissan Titan which is lighter and has less payload than your truck...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:51 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
I share your angst. I have a 2005 F250 Lariat Supercab with upgraded springs and a full size bed. It has 50K on it I am the original owner. It is in super shape. I have a 2017 28' Serenity and am wondering if I should be concerned about my TV. I hate to think that it might leave me in the middle of nowhere waiting for a tow truck. I don't want buy a new TV but can if it's risky to hit the road with mine. Advice?

What is making the little alarm bells go off in your head? 50k miles in 15 years means this either sat for years doing nothing or did milk runs of 3,500 miles per year. If it's been sitting, then there is PM specifically for that. Otherwise, you should be good to go.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:24 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Thanks for the advice. I have been driving my TV about that, 3,500 per year and have taken good care of her. I did reach a decision though after visiting my local Ford dealer, $65k to replace her, nah. I can wait!!
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:47 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
ONE of the reasons Airstreamers and owners of SOB trailers love trailers (as opposed to mohos) is that even if you blow the engine you CAN be back on the road within a day - if you have semi-decent credit and can find an open dealer. Need a new engine for a diesel pusher moho? Plan on 2-4 weeks in a hotel while that happens - or go home by plane or rental car, then come back when the work is done.

I recently got a bit of education. In the first two years I owned an Airstream I was asked to tow someone else's SOB home from my residential campground, which I did for just the cost of the fuel. ...because I want to be a nice person ...and people have helped me out when I've been in difficulties. BUT I drove up to my trailer recently and had a new neighbor parked next to me with a MiniCooper and a golf cart in front. I jokingly asked which one he towed with... and his reply was one that should give us all a moment's thought.

He doesn't own a tow vehicle. He calls a tow truck every time he moves the trailer.

Why?

1 They are pros with the right experience and equipment (and would my insurance cover it if I rolled someone else'strailer? YIKES?!)
2 Even though he sometimes pays $1000 for a long distance tow his total annual expenses are far less than owning a truck. (Paying someone $3K to charter a fishing boat for one day is also a bargain compared to owning it, even if you charter one 6 to 12 times a year!)
3 He enjoys driving his compact gas sipping car - and isn't worn out by a long day towing in traffic.
4. The golf cart rides on the tow truck's lift back.

Paula
Old 03-21-2017, 09:52 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
Lol Paula so true if you objectively evaluate it. Not that it is the right answer for most. Wonder where the OP got his TB from as I have delivered a couple of them recently. Lol with my Ram 1500.

You know some of you should open up your minds take your truck & trailer down to the scales and apply yourself to learn & understand what Doug shares. Many of you might be shocked how much better your truck and trailer would handle an emergency maneuver after setting it up. Sometimes dramatically safer. A TV with good weight bias even over GVWR ie payload but under axles & CVWR makes for a safer more enjoyable tow than most of the 3/4 tons in the campground who are flying blind with their rigs.
Transportr AS & TT Mfg 2 dealr RAM ED factory brake controller tow mirror hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12k, No sway WDH, Adj. hitch, axle 2 frame air bags, tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max Ram 1500 GCVW 15,950, truck hitches steer 3,240 drive 2,560
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:28 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
Lol Paula so true if you objectively evaluate it. Not that it is the right answer for most. Wonder where the OP got his TB from as I have delivered a couple of them recently. Lol with my Ram 1500.

You know some of you should open up your minds take your truck & trailer down to the scales and apply yourself to learn & understand what Doug shares. Many of you might be shocked how much better your truck and trailer would handle an emergency maneuver after setting it up. Sometimes dramatically safer. A TV with good weight bias even over GVWR ie payload but under axles & CVWR makes for a safer more enjoyable tow than most of the 3/4 tons in the campground who are flying blind with their rigs.
Picked up the TB at a dealer in Defuniak Springs, FL.

I agree that probably most Ram 1500s properly set up could handle this trailer. However, after getting weights on the trailer and my particular Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn, I concluded that I was not comfortable with how close I'd be to the maximums of the truck's ability and ratings.

Unfortunately, I was not able to weigh them together. They only way to do this would be to buy the trailer and hope that it didn't exceed the maximums so I could get the combo to the scales. Being that I was way to close on paper I decided to go a different route. I had 100K and some good years on my truck anyway.

I was more comfortable with buying a more heavy duty truck to combine with the trailer. I purchased a Titan XD with the Cummins. In my opinion it is a good compromise between 1/2 ton and 1/4 ton. It has much higher payload and axle ratings. Trips to the CAT scales fully loaded for camping have things pretty well dialed in and I like how it tows and feels on the road.

As a bonus, it is getting 16/20 MPG unloaded and so far on three trips 12.4 MPG towing.

Again, I will not argue that someone needs this or that particular vehicle to tow. I read advice here, asked for advice here, did some research on my own and came to a conclusion that I was happy and satisfied with.

Billy
Old 03-22-2017, 07:05 AM   #33
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Arrr, didn't you just love the old days when you could go to a local wrecker, find a 3/4 ton version of your truck, take the rear springs (not neccessay) and axle out with the driveshaft and put it into your half ton? The only mucking around was possibly changing U-joints on the end of your driveshaft and driveshaft length, but that was easily taken care of. Sigh, now days everything is so well built and engineered....not!

Guys use to do this to Suburbans all the time after GM went to the corporate 10 bolt instead of the 12 bolt.

Cheers
Tony

PS Just read your last post, excellent decision on the Nissan as a 7/8th truck. I hope it gives you years of service but keep in mind that preventative service is key with modern diesels these days. Whatever you do DON'T believe any maintenance minder that says you have 15,000 miles before oil changes; dirty oil wrecks turbos so make sure that oil stays good and clean. Same for your transmission; fluids are cheap, new motors and transmissions, not so much.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote