Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Zeppelin,
One last thing about the hitch. The Equalizer is a popular, big selling hitch. So when it comes to noise in the campground - you are going to hear a lot of them! I don't give it too much thought. You can buy a Teflon (or something) pad for them which apparently works well to quite them down. I consider this noise a very minor drawback to an otherwise excellent hitch.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
EQ brand Bracket Jackets are pads that fit over the L-brackets and will reduce the grinding noise - and friction. Some say that the reduced friction impacts the sway control feature of the hitch but I have not found significant difference in sway control with the bracket jackets.

You can do a search for my previous detailed positive experiences with the EQ brand hitch over the years.

Progressmfg.com will give you detailed instructions on just how to adjust your EQ hitch; there is also a video.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
that our 03 Classic has a listed GVWR of 7300lbs, (actual 7640lb), with a
Bob
I'm a little confused by this part of your statement, GVWR is a the mfg stated gross weight, you can't increase that figure. You can overload the trailer however. Is that what you are saying, loaded and ready to go your rig weighs 7640? This would certainly help to explain why the tongue weight is higher too.

Just asking for explaination of the statement.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #84
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
[QUOTE=crisen;1237402]I'm a little confused by this part of your statement, GVWR is a the mfg stated gross weight, you can't increase that figure. You can overload the trailer however. Is that what you are saying, loaded and ready to go your rig weighs 7640? This would certainly help to explain why the tongue weight is higher too.

Just asking for explaination of the statement.[/QUOTE

Yes, kind'a...the maximum hitched, loaded weight on the axles of our Classic is 640lbs over what the axles are rated for.
The trailer came equipped from the Factory with 2 3500lb axles, 300lbs LESS than the GVWR.

The Classic's are heavy buggers, but still deserve a decent CCC. 640lbs ain't much.

POI....this concern has been addressed on some of the later model trailers. Check your build sheet and weight sticker.

In my experience, tongue weight has always been a factory guess-ta-mate. I think you'll find that it's light across the board no matter how your loaded.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
[QUOTE=ROBERT CROSS;1237694]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisen View Post
I'm a little confused by this part of your statement, GVWR is a the mfg stated gross weight, you can't increase that figure. You can overload the trailer however. Is that what you are saying, loaded and ready to go your rig weighs 7640? This would certainly help to explain why the tongue weight is higher too.

Just asking for explaination of the statement.[/QUOTE

Yes, kind'a...the maximum hitched, loaded weight on the axles of our Classic is 640lbs over what the axles are rated for.
The trailer came equipped from the Factory with 2 3500lb axles, 300lbs LESS than the GVWR.
Bob
Wait a minute now you are saying that when hitched your axle weight is 7640 plus you have the tongue weight that is on your TV axles?

7300lbs gross minus 800lbs tongue equals 6500lbs axle weight.

Well some goes back to TT axles with weight distribution but it's not really 800lbs anyhow.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #86
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
[QUOTEWazbro
Wait a minute now you are saying that when hitched your axle weight is 7640 plus you have the tongue weight that is on your TV axles?

7300lbs gross minus 800lbs tongue equals 6500lbs axle weight.

Well some goes back to TT axles with weight distribution but it's not really 800lbs anyhow.[/QUOTE]

Wazbro,

There is no "plus".

I'm not saying....it's what the scales are telling me.

7640lbs on the trailer axles, hitched, WD set, loaded for camping.

The tongue weight is 1200lbs, un-hitched. Well within the rating of our receiver.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #87
2 Rivet Member

Katy , Texas
I wanted to circle back and give everyone an update. I really appreciate this thread and the advice that was given. I especially want to thank Andy for reaching out to me and giving me his advice.

A few weeks ago, it started to become evident that I was going to need to spend, in short order, roughly $2500 on my other vehicle -- a 2006 Toyota 4Runner with roughly 100k miles. I did not really want to sink this much cash into this vehicle, and I started to play again with the idea of instead spending that money towards a new vehicle.

As such, I just completed my first trip this past weekend pulling the 28-footer with a new 2500 Suburban. While I appreciate that I could have gotten there with upgraded hitch and tires on the Tahoe, I feel I got a great deal on the Suburban and my wife and two boys love all the extra room, the captain's chairs, the entertainment system, etc. It's going to be a great family vehicle for years to come and the added bonus of it being more capable is certainly the icing on the cake.

We towed the trailer roughly two hours each direction -- both on interstate 10 and on state highways and backroads. I am not looking back and have zero regret buying it. 18-wheelers didn't push me one bit, and I was able to confidently drive 65-70mph and feel total confidence and control. The engine is a hoss and yanked that trailer up and down hills with ease. I love it.

I'm still using the old hitch and am still toying with the idea of upgrading to a 3P, although I think the EZ hitch will do the job, if necessary.

Again, thanks to everyone for the tips, and while my decision was partly based on the circumstances of my other vehicle, this thread was still very informational and weighed on my decision-making process. I also thank those of you who messaged me privately with additional information and guidance.

-Zep
zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #88
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
So glad you spoke to Andy!! Congrats on your new TV. Safe travels!!!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #89
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Congrats...good choice.
Until you have had the chance to compare towing with an HD vehicle versus a lighter duty vehicle, it is really hard to explain.
You have to experience it yourself.
Welcome to the land of relaxed AS traveling...

Good luck with the new truck...Subys are awesome Family vehicles,
Bill
Old 02-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #90
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
"...... I just completed my first trip this past weekend pulling the 28-footer with a new 2500 Suburban."

Zep,

Well, you can guess what my thoughts are on your chooz.....

Been real happy with both ours...

Good luck & Safe Streams

Bob
Old 02-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
For you and your family, you certainly made the right choice. Happy camping!!

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote